1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are your dolls replaceable?

May 24, 2011

1. Not that I'd ever WANT to replace any of my dolls, but yes, they are totally replaceable. As others here said, my emotional attachment is from the characters I've used the dollies for, who've existed for long before I ever knew about bjds. I would probably even search out for better quality dollies with similar faces.

2. I think I would try to replace most of them but for some of them I just know it wouldn't work. Their caracters have evolved from not only their mold but also their face-up and for at least a couple of them also their history - the way I got them. Some face-ups or mods I could never get back the exact same so . . . I guess they could never be replaced.

However replacing a body wouldn't be that big a problem - for most of them since for instans my first DZ Feilian is the old NS Pink and doesn't look anything like the NS Pink they make now. Replacing her body would be really difficult. But what I mean is that I'm not emotional attached to the bodies like I am their faces, eyes and wigs.

I don't even like to think about something happening to them. Just the thought makes me feel scared and very sad. :(

Dustbunnie

3. Physically, dolls can always be replaced b/c you can buy them again from other companies or from the same one. But emotionally, the bonds you build between your doll over time cannot since it wouldn't be the same as it were for your new one. They may be the same/or identical in a way but there are always small differences that pulls them apart and that's what so irritating sometimes because it can never be the same especially you love that doll dearly......... :I

4. Some of my dolls can be replaced like I could replace a favourite pair of shoes. For some of my dolls I actually have several doll versions. ;) They have a concept that can be homed and re-homed in a doll shell.

Other dolls have a certain value that cannot be easily replaced just like, for example, a necklace you got from your grandmother for your 16th birthday cannot be easily replaced. You can get a new necklace, but it won't be the same. I could get a new doll to replace the doll that I got as a gift, but it won't be the same.
      In addition to that, some of my dolls are not "being a home" for characters. They are dolls upon which I have built ideas and concepts. Those are more difficult to replace, because if the doll is gone, a lot of the concept is gone too. If one of those would be lost, I could replace them with a new doll to build a new concept, but I don't think I will be able to recreate what was lost.

5. My dolls are replaceable. If something bizarre happened and either of them were crushed or somehow damaged beyond whatever I would deem reasonable repair, I would buy a new doll. I don't own my two because they are specific characters--I own them because I really like that particular sculpt. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to accept drastic changes to the sculpt just to salvage the original doll. That said, I'm not sure if I'd give a replacement the same name, but it's not something I'm completely opposed to.

6. Well sort of. I mean you can always buy the same sculpt (as long as they are still on the market) but there's no telling if the doll will have the same character feel as before.

7. All of my dolls are replaceable. It wouldn't be cheap for most of them, but it is possible. I am not so much attached to the doll as I am the characters they represent. The characters all come from me, so the only way they would be lost is if something happens to me.

8. Well they would be, but I don't think I would want to go through all the hard work to replace them exactly the same, as on most of them I do the Face ups, as well as make the outfits.

9. Maybe.

My AE Mo is a very rare and discontinued sculpt that would be incredibly difficult to replace, but there are other dolls out there with a similar look that she could be reshelled into if she was somehow destroyed. At the same time, I didn't actually preconceive her character and buy a doll for it, the character developed after purchasing the doll, so a different sculpt may not have the same feel.

10. ... this would be horrible. I can't imagine that I would be able to replace my dolls, even if the sculpt is still available. I couldn't buy the same doll again and give it the same name and treat is as if it's the doll which got destroyed. It would be an entirely different little personality.

11. Thanks for all the great responses, guys. I can see where all of you are coming from and it's always nice to look at things from other's points of view.

Some of you have said that it's your character that's important and not the doll, and I half agree with that. Tovarious was a pre-existing character for me, and so is Alice (my event bunny that's coming with my new doll) and no matter what happens to the dolls, their characters will always be very special to me and I would still write about them and such, but I still don't think I'd ever be able to reshell them as dolls if theirs were destroyed. To me it would never really be the same. They'd just go back to being brain babies that only come out in writing or drawing form.

12. I agree that the character is important, and it's not like I wouldn't be upset for the mold if I lost my character's dolls, for sure. But I think it's very healthy to consider alternatives in the case something should happen.

Still, though, despite my outlook (that I could replace my dolls if I have to), it doesn't mean that they're not valuable to me at all. They're my most prized possessions, and Lux is my most favourite thing in my house. ;)

13. Hmm I'm not sure about this. I pick sculpts I like then let the dolls find their own personality, not the other way around. I could certainly replace most of the parts, but I don't think I would make them into the same character again. I find it unfulfilling to create the same thing twice. I would probably introduce a new character into my 'family' instead.

14. Well, I'm finding this out right now. A bunch of my dolls got stolen in January (see my sig below if you want to know more). People in the community have been amazing in general, and I have gotten several dolls as gifts. :aheartbea Two of those dolls were blank ones intended to replace Tanith and Audra, the Resinsoul Dan and Ai that got stolen, and I'm gradually putting them back together.
      I was lucky that the same sculpts were still available, and then the same faceup artist (Arrowchild) offered to do Tanith's faceup again. So I'm going to get my girls back, but they'll be slightly different. Part of this is technical (not all their wigs/eyes/clothes are still available). But partly it feels right to have them be a little altered. They're the same characters, but not the same actual dolls. I think it helps that I have a good emotion attached to them, since they were presents from a group of people, and that was incredible touching and awesome.

Weirdly, though, I also had a DT Soph hybrid, Zoe, that I just can't imagine replacing. Maybe because Tanith and Audra has actual characters and a little backstory, but Zoe didn't? I don't know. Soph is probably my all-time favorite doll sculpt, so I can see owning one again... but not as Zoe.

15. My girl is 100% irreplaceable. I could never reshell her, ever.

16. ... I've had this happen with other types of doll, and in some cases yes, the character is re-shellable. I've found that it only works with my oldest most well loved characters though. And usually it also has to be a character that has somehow become more developed in appearance and general complexity than the doll that inspired it.

For me, the doll inspires the character 99.9% of the time- losing the doll would be like losing the character, it might be possible to recreate the physical doll, but the character would be based on the new one, and it would have to change. I also feel like my BJDs are generally to new for that to be possible with: a new Cass wouldn't be the same Cass- it just wouldn't. I also think that even when they're old, BJDs are too lifelike for that, I don't have to imagine different characteristics for them, it's all too easy to just change a wig or add elf ears and have them be physical. My old dolls would take on different characteristics purely in my head, so buying a new shell wouldn't actually change the character at all, but my BJD characters are firmly grounded in the resin that first inspired them. If I got a new one and it didn't slouch the same way, or the face just didn't hold the same 'expressiveness' etc, it would completely ruin it- it wouldn't be the same character at all.

17. a couple of my dolls are limited editions {Elfdoll Lydia special and Elfdoll Red special] and would be very hard to replace...and my tiny fairys, elfdoll no longer makes [with those clothes/wigs, they have even changed the ears on the molds, their new tinies are NOT the same as the old tinies :( ] . and my jeong, luts stopped making her years ago. same with my Cory head, no one [he was made before luts and fairyland split] makes him anymore either. so thats at least 6 dolls that would technically be replacable but very very hard to replace. i would have to wait probably forever to find them all in the marketplace and be able to buy them. Finding a BW Ani Elf and having his Vamp teeth modded again would be only slightly easier but a pain. Kid Delf Ttori and MNF Soo are the only two I would consider "replaceable" in the fact that I could easily rebuy them from their companys....I have no desire to reshell any of them into another mold.

18. I think I'd have trouble replacing Bethesda since he's my absolute favorite; the others - not so much.
      All I ever do with him recently, is look at him and so I know the little details that make him different from other dolls that are the same model (like his seam lines etc.).
      As silly as it might sound, but I figure that'd make it harder for me to get the same doll again and use it for the same character, but that's what I'd probably do anyways in case something happened to his current shell.
      My characters are more important to me than their doll forms after all.

19. I would say some yes, some no. The ones I spend a lot of time/effort on are irreplaceable since you cannot really replace the time.

20. Until recently my answer would have been 100% yes, if something happened I would get new ones.
      But, now I'm got my modded girl, Teddy. It's not just that it would be a pain to track down all of her parts, I would have to do all of the modding again, and like when I try to copy a drawing I've done before I might be able to get it similar (it may even be better since I've had more practice) but the feel wouldn't be the same. I don't think I could replace her