1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are your dolls replaceable?

May 24, 2011

1. Well I have read a lot of interesting answers here, and I will half agree with those that said the character is the most important thing, dont misunderstand me cause Im also a very emotional person, and it would kill me if something ever happens to Pan (specially since he's the only one I have XD)

But some of that is true, technically a lot of them are replaceable if they're still available... but emotionally, our minds will tell us everytime we look at them: "that's not the original" and it would hurt until we can find the way to forget about it and accept it... I wouldnt do another character just because the original broke, for me every character has a soul that exists beyond the existence of the doll, so maybe they will die pshysically, but its "spirit" will haunt me XDDD I dont know if you can understand... I have a lot of characters, and I wouldnt kill any of them.

So If something ever happens to my doll, it would be a horrible horrible accident, but Pan would still exist and I would feel the urge to make him a doll again (and I would buy the same, but that's just because I loooooove Loong Soul sculpts *Q* )

2. My dolls are all pretty standard as far as sculpts go, no unique mods or customization besides faceups, so yes, I think I could replace them if they were destroyed or stolen. The tan delfs and my kid delf Jeong would be difficult to find and buy again, but not impossible. I'd probably use it as an excuse to break out of my CP/Luts box and reshell them as Iplehouse dolls. But even if I decided to go with the same molds as before, for me it'd be more like changing a faceup or styling the doll differently. Not to sound heartless, but they are items, not people, and even if it wasn't the doll I originally had, it still has the same look that I liked the first time around. Yes, I'd be upset to lose them, but ultimately I think my dolls are replaceable.

3. Hmmm... Good question. I could replace most of my dolls (with great difficulty and expense), but would they be the same for me? Some might... But, I'm not sure. I might not replace them... probably because they wouldn't be the same for me...!

4. I could replace my RD Dylan if he was destroyed, because his character came before the sculpt. But my AoD and AE dolls' characters evolved from their particular sculpts, the way I dressed them, et cetera...so it wouldn't be the same if I replaced them.

5. My first doll? never.

The other ones? probably.

My first doll is completely irreplaceable, I love him so much that 4 years ago I bought another doll of the same sculpt, I wanted to have twins. It didn't work out so I sold it. This is proof for me that buying the same sculpt will not work in case my baby get damaged or destroyed (God forbid!) He's so precious to me.

6. No. A new male Rong wouldn't be the same, so I try to be as careful as possible with him, but at the same time I feel like the little scuffs he does get on rare occasion add to his uniqueness. He is special, though, in part because he was a gift.

7. My dolls are irreplaceable period!

8. I'd never be able to bring myself to replace my boy. :sweat

9. I'd say the only doll that is utterly and truly irreplaceable to me is Nomad, if only for how I got him. A friend of mine gave him to me when they fell out of the hobby and remembered how much I had liked him. Where this friend could have simply called it a day and sold the doll for a mint, they gave him to me instead. Nomad is a first-edition Angel Region Kai and was as I'm told, sculpted by the artist who made his cast, back when Kai was still meant to be a limited doll. The Kai sculpt isn't anymore, but it's the idea behind it. As merely a doll and not a character, he has history.

That said, his character is also not an original creation of mine, but one I've maintained at the request of my friend, with my own spin on it. This is unique in itself to me, and I don't feel like I could project his character onto any other Kai because of it.

Cory and Fritz, my DOC's (Si and Hoo) feel a little more disposable to me in that I actually am kind of interested in trading their bodies in at least, for DOC type 2's. I'd have a hard time parting with Fritz though.

Fritz is a little more unique; he got cast in an odd batch of resin from DoD(I noticed their resin color doesn't actually vary that much normally), and a custom face-up from DOD. He's yellower than other DOC's, but it's not from age -- it's just the color of his resin(that said he IS an old doll, probably 2005 or 2006, but Cory is just as old and hasn't even come close to reaching the yellow-ish hue Fritz is). I think it adds a little something-something to his character that I can't put my finger on. Just a different "feel" to him, that if his skin color was any different it would change the impression he gives off in a small, but noticeable way. It wouldn't be him, just a doppleganger I guess.

Cory would be easier to replace because he's classic Dream of Doll pink, and has a standard faceup(which is in need of an overhaul since it's so faded). The only thing that's really different about him is he has DOC girl hands, but that's trifles. I love Cory in that he's the first doll I ever had and worked my hiney off to save for him, and he's a symbol of that. But the idea of trading him in for something updated doesn't bother me much, regardless.

I guess Morgan would be a little difficult to replace since he's a nanuri 2006 AND he's that orangey Luts gamble resin. Still, of all my dolls I'm least attached to him, and if someone threw a price at me I'd probably give him away without feeling badly at all, aside from missing having a head to paint when the mood strikes. Also the fact that he's just a floating head probably makes a difference in how I feel about parting with him.

So long story short two out of four of my doll sculpts are replaceable to me, for sentimental and for character reasons.

10. It's within my capability so I could, but I most likely wouldn't be able to, or at least it wouldn't feel the same. I had the chance to sell my DOD Wi to buy another one, one that has an updated body and a fresh skin tone and all in all is just NEW since mine is already almost seven years old--but I couldn't do it. If I ever lost any of my dolls I would probably be forced to replace them because I miss them, but it just wouldn't be the same.

11. I'm so sorry to hear about your dolls being stolen and I'm so glad that the community had really rallied around you to help you get some of them back (even if they aren't exactly the same). I hope that whoever stole them is caught and that they hadn't sold or altered any of your dolls yet and then maybe you'll get the original Zoe back. It's a long shot, but stranger things have happened. And like you said, even if your new dolls are a little different, they still have very strong feelings attached to them because they were gifts so it's better than if you had to save up all over again and buy each doll yourself. You might feel a little differently towards them, then. Good luck with your new boys and girls and I hope someone nabs the idiot that stole your dolls.

12. I'd be able to replace some of my dollies if something happened to them, but not all of them. Especially for my modded dolls, (and I have some that are REALLY heavily modded, to the point of being completely unrecognizeable) each of my kids has little quirks and imperfections that make them my doll and if you gave another doll the exact same faceup, eyes and wig and dressed it in the exact same outfit I'd be able to tell which was mine. For example, Everett has a little scratch on his thumb that he's had since forever and I notice it and smile sometimes just because it's part of him. If it wasn't there it wouldn't feel like Everett anymore.

13. Nope. If I lost Treu or Merlot, I would mourn the loss and move along to another character. It would just feel too strange. Like, yeah, it would be the same mold if I got another one, but it wouldn't be my Merlot or my Treu. It wouldn't be the Merlot that sat on my bookshelf in a skirt for months, then I decided he's the sort to wear only pants but I still constantly put him in skirts. It wouldn't be the same Treu that I bought on impulse out of nowhere when I wasn't planning on buying that mold at all but I've fallen completely in love with him.

In the story Merlot is in, his character has already died so if I lost his doll form, I would just say the storyline finally caught up with him and that was that. Treu would be written out as well. Gone but not forgotten.

14. For me the answer is no, they can not be replaced. Even though I could go out and buy the same sculpt, there are other qualities that just wouldn't be the same.

15. Sort of. I mean I know if something ever happened to one of my dolls I could replace them. All accept for Issac. While he is an AoD his mold is one that is currently discontinued. Might be hard to track down another. Otherwise they would be the same. It's not the doll itself that is special to me, it's the character.

16. I could, yes. It's their characters that are the most important to me.
      The problem I would have is the finances to do so. But I have the patience of a saint when it comes to dolls and over time, I would get them back. Donivan has a default faceup and Morgan, I'd be willing to wait to get her done by Cross Pistols again. It would take a long while but it's doable.

I would HATE to have to replace them and I WOULD be heartbroken but it's doable. Even my future dolls it would be the same. My littlefee, well the only thing about her that so far wouldn't be replaceable is her mohair wig. It's a one of a kind but I'm sure it could be remade similar in such circumstances. My Bory on the other hand, he'll have a unique faceup and modded to have a scorpion tail, he's the only one I think I would have issues replacing.
      But as I said, their characters are what are important to me.

17. Currently, no. My current bunch were not bought with pre-made characters in mind, so I wouldn't be able to just buy another doll and call it the same character. Combined with the fact that I am generally a pretty sentimental person, I would absolutely be devastated if I lost/whathaveyou any of my dolls right now. I can change faceups and update them, but I can not replace the doll itself - I could buy another El, but it would never be my first doll or have that feeling ever again.

However, if I had a pre-existing character that I put into doll form, the doll itself would definitely be more replaceable. Sculpts that come out could be more suitable to it, etc. I'd be preserving the character rather than the shell, kinda opposite of the first scenario.

So, I think it depends in the end.

18. I'm in the camp that couldn't replace them. If something happened to one of my boys, getting another doll of the same mold would be like getting a dog that looked just like your old one after he died (yes, scoff at me if you must). I can replace parts and bodies, but not the whole doll, especially the head.
      They didn't have pre-existing characters and they don't just sit around for me to look at, so they are physically who they are, not shells or representations of someone/thing else. It probably comes from being an only child who was very shy and rather lonely, but I tend to anthropomorphize toys especially. Kai is Kai - I've never written a story about someone named Kai or played a game using a character with that name - to me, he is the little dolly man who sits in my room on my desk, content to wait for me to give him attention, occasionally jealous when I've played with someone else for too long, and possessive of his clothes. So if something happened to him that I couldn't fix or I lost him, I'd be devastated and wouldn't even want to TRY to replace him.

Lol I'm sure you less sentimental folk are now making gagging motions and rolling your eyes so hard you see your ocular sockets XD.

19. I am truly attached to all my BJD, from the first one, got in 2005, to the last one, got in 2009. If any of them were destroyed, of course, I would feel really and deeply sad, but if I could buy the same sculpt to bring his/her character I love so much back into BJD for sure I would. In fact, one of the reasons most of mine have extra heads of their same sculpts is the case something like that could happen someday because that is a fear I have had since my first beginning in this hobby.

20. I could replace mine. Not that I would want to due to cost. For me, they are a 3D representations of a character who is very much already fleshed out on pen and paper. He has lived as a character in my head (and drawn on paper) for far too long before I even had a doll to personify him that, although I would miss his doll form dearly, he would still live on. If not as another doll, then as the fictional character he always was. For me, a doll is a doll. Their heart and souls lay not in their bodies, but in my head. (or heart if you want to be sappy.)