1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are your dolls replaceable?

May 24, 2011

1. Personally, I believe even if my doll suddenly smashed into many pieces and I bought the same sculpt to replace her, she would still be /relatively/ the same to me. Or at least, I would try to make her as close to the "original" as possible. xD Naturally, there were different sculpts which I thought would suit my character all the same, so I'm not afraid to replace her or give her a different face if need be. ;u; I feel that it's really the character that makes the doll, not the doll that makes the character. So I'm perfectly ok with re-buying the same sculpt and re-working it to be my own again. :')

2. At first I would have said absolutely not, replacing one of my BJDs, even with the same sculpt, would not be the same. I'm another one who would be very upset if one of my BJDs were destroyed, but I could replace him or her with the same sculpt and be okay with that. In fact, I eventually want to replace my first doll with an upgraded FCS version of himself. I don't know, since I've reshelled some characters and changed things around, it's made me more emotionally flexible that way. Some of them, though, have memories tied to specific places and being with specific people - my FCS lad I got from Tenshi no sato, for example - which would make them difficult to sell if it came to that. If their destruction was taken out of my hands, then I would try to replace them.

3. I think I'm the type to become really attached to my dolls when getting them, so no, I wouldn't be able to. I also agree that the the face is where the heart lies ^^ Beautiful said! :aheartbea
      Hmm.. But, if it's like, I get my girl in two days and then her head gets ruined and I buy a new one then I guess I could go like, I got her a new face. But I don't think I'd be able to do the same if I've had her over a longer while*_* I'd feel so sad. IF I had to replace, then I think I'd go for another sculpt for my character rather than the same again since I'll feel sad looking at the same face but probably not feel the same love. Then it's better I can say it's NOT the same face so I don't have to feel the exact same. Taha.

4. Most of my dolls are replaceable, their sculpts are what I fell for, and I could find the same scuplt and face-up artist again, or have another artist redo the same face.

However, I have two dolls that, even though they are replacable with the same scupt, have just got a very special place in my heart. If something bad were to happen to them (like getting completely smashed up with no hope for repair) I don't think I could ever replace them, especially if I saw them in that horrible condition. I'd probably have to have a special funeral for them. If there were damage, but I could somehow have them repaired, then I'd still keep them even if they were no longer beautiful on the outside, because I think they are special on the inside.

5. With unlimited time and money it might be possible to replace them, but I don't know if I would have the heart for it. Some of mine are old sculpts or were very limited and either not available any more, or the cost on the secondary market would be prohibitive. I would probably just buy a few new dolls and start over. If I were starting over, though, I would probably limit my collection to just a few. I've gotten a bit carried away, I'm afraid.

6. my girls tend to be chameleons and take on different looks depending on what i want in the photo, so i could probably replace any of them with another of the same sculpt. (i 'd just hate the time/expense involved!) but i got into this hobby more because of the posing possibilities and using them as artist "dummies" in the first place.

7. Never! My babies are my babies! D:
      I modded all my dolls to some extent, some way more than others, making them my own personal and original creations~
      I don't know what I would do if any of them got stolen/ ruined/ etc...

8. I was very excited in reading this question because it sounds so similar to how I feel about my own doll. However, because I do only own one doll, I suppose my experience isn't fully in fruition but as of right now I know that my boy would not be the same character if I bought him again.

When I bought my doll I did not have a specific character for him, and waited to make one depending on the type of hair color/eye color/underwear/so on that he received. To me I feel like the random items you get from doll companies actually makes the doll. ^^ So for me none of them could possibly be the same and that makes them all the more special and irreplaceable.

9. I Don't Think i can ever replace any of my dolls if they were ever broken beyond repair i would be very upset and heart broken. but i would try and find a way to fix them to some semblance of what they use to be even if there is no way id still try. but i also know i would never buy the same sculpt it just wouldn't be the same to me.

10. Emma also has the default face-up, so it wouldn't be like I was spending anything more than I had on her if I had to replace her. But as I said, the DM Roo looks more like the character that developed in my head than she does in the DM Kid Flocke, so since thinking about it more, I'd probably reshell her to that doll.

Now, if the molds were retired... it would be really hard; I guess I might try to get an older version of her in SD form rather than get another MSD-sized doll?

11. my dolls are My characters. If the body goes away the character returns to my heart, then if I wanted a new doll form for them I would just find one that suits them. I can't get attached to stuff to that extent. Though I hope to always keep my three first dolls, I love having them, but I wouldn't tear myself up about it if I ever had to give them up or they got lost in a fire or something.

I guess I've lost so much in life that I have no energy to worry about it. I see the dolls souls as part of me that I place into the empty doll, so if something happens, that soul just returns to my heart.

#71 skyf, Jun 20, 2011
      Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    12. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to replace them and feel the same way about them, because, well, they aren't the same doll so it's like the character/personality wouldn't be the same as the previous doll's. :[

13. I kind of feel cold-hearted for saying it, but it would be easy for me to replace my dolls. I mean their sculpts wouldn't be that hard to buy again and their appeal lies mostly in their characters, which wouldn't die even if the physical doll was shattered. I'd certainly be very anxious and disappointed if anything ever happened to them, I mean I get really attached easily and I guess I could say their would be a significant mourning period but I'd move on and replace them just fine.

Here's hoping I never have to!

14. Hmmmm,

To be honest, I not only could, BUT WOULD, replace my dolls. I have seen pictures of peoples dolls that burned in a fire. I mean If that happened to me and I could afford it, I would replace my destroyed dolls as closely as possible. My dolls are art to me as well. and I know, in that respect, that even with the same sculpt and face up and outfit, eyes, wig, all replicated again, it would never be the same doll. Tones would be different, strokes changed, but I would still want them back, as close as possible. I would miss the aesthetic about them to much.

Also my dolls are representations of my personal characters I have from stories, in that aspect I would not let that character disappear. The dolls is just the resin container I have chosen for the character, nothing more.
      But yes I do feel, for example : like THAT particular chunk of resin with THAT perfect face up is my character. And to attempt to replicate it might fail, or it might succeed far beyond my expectations.

15. None of my kids are replaceable. they all have their personalities and stories. Aki was born just for me, and was bought by a group of my friends clubbing together to get him for my birthday. Xstian and Gloria have got a history already. :) I wouldn't be able to replace any of that.

16. I'm somewhere in between, I suppose. My first doll was actually modded by the previous owner, so looks different from the standard DZ Yuu sculpt he started as. If he was completely destroyed, I would be devastated, but I don't think I would replace him. Instead, I would probably get another sculpt that I like better without mods, in the same size. I don't think I actually could make another doll look like him. For my smaller Iplehouse pair, I have not modded them at all, so would not feel bad about simply getting a new doll to put in the same clothes. They are more avatars, rather than distinct characters at this point, anyway, although I would still be very sad.

17. I create any background or personality sorts of details for the individual dolls, I don't shell existing characters in dolls. While it isn't super-elaborate, each doll's personality is tailored to how I see the specific doll. If I got another one of the same sculpt, it wouldn't be the same doll, and I'd probably name it something else and it would give it different details. I wouldn't be able to replicate the face-up, and in some cases the wigs aren't easily located, so I wouldn't be able to replace the details either.

18. If one of my dolls were destroyed in some way I am not sure how I would feel until it happened. I guess I would buy the same doll again (all of my dolls have default face ups and are basics) or I might take the opportunity to get a different doll. I dont really have characters for my dolls so it wouldnt be a case of rehoming a personality or upgrading a character.

19. Well the sculpt could be there are a lot of EL, shiwoo, godo ect out there if you look. However I don't think my dolls could be replaced on the grounds that there somthing about these dolls have that when I see other dolls new or old they just don't remind me of the charaters my dolls represent.
      Some of my dolls have faces up that I couldn't have replaced or limited pieces as well so It would just not be the same for me.

20. I think my dolls are irreplaceable. Of course I could go and buy the same mold eventually, but for me it wouldn't be the same. Especially with Kain, I have a really special bound with him, since he is my first doll.