1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are your dolls replaceable?

May 24, 2011

1. Yeah, I could probably just replace them. It's the character that's the most important part to me, not the resin itself. That wouldn't mean, I wouldn't be very sad, if a doll of mine would be damaged beyond repair.

2. I'd say no, they aren't replaceable and they cost me way too much money. Sometimes I play out crazy scenarios in my head about what I would do if some nutcase stole my dolls. I think I should definitely get doll/toy insurance.

3. My dolls are all replaceable. Half of them are original characters, so who they are is not bound by the resin. The other half are in the proccess of being reshelled, so they are already being replaced by newer, better bodies and head sculpts! Yay!

4. no :)
      you can buy the same doll over and over and over again , dress them up the same , naming them the same etc , but you wont get the feeling when you getting your first time ~

5. It really depents on situation.. If my doll would break i would definetly buy a new one with the same sculpt. But i think i would have troubles to "abadon" my doll if it would be only "old" and littlebit damaged in time. I'm not even sure COULD i buy a new one if the old one would be still usable.. I just.. Don't know ;__;

6. Apart from Gawain's head, my dolls aren't limited, so yes, if I lost them, it would be possible to replace them. It would be a bit of a pain financially, though :p.

I guess I *am* attached to those particular dolls and even their imperfections, so I would prefer not to have to replace them, but - as I said, it's possible. They are shells of my characters, so the character is not lost if the doll disappears.

7. I'd say no, I wouldn't be able to replace them. I could technically find them again, give them the same clothes and try to get them similar faceups, but it still wouldn't be them​, since their characters mostly emerged from their doll form.

8. I already know they are irreplaceable to me....becuase EVERY doll is different, cast a 1000 times in a mold.. and they will be different, tiny, little things... of course the characters would remain.....but then... the ones i am getting, mean alot to me, for very personal reasons>.> they would be the second thing i would grab in a fire.... the first being my daughter >.>

9. They used to be, before I got into modding, hybriding and customizing xD
      I have three hybrids at the moment, all have mods and all are customized by me. They are not easily replaced.
      I know of at least one that if I were to sell her, I could never ever get another doll like her.

10. In some ways, but in other ways, no. All their little quirks make them the way they are, and some have been heavily modded by different people and it would be hard to recreate that. Also, there's just something about the dolls themselves that make them so uniquely themselves. Even in dolls that are the same mold as mine, there's such a different feeling from them. I think the different auras (I don't like that word, it's a bit airy-fairy-hippy, but that's what it is!) the dolls give off really adds to the dolls-have-souls debate.

11. Probably not. If I've had the doll for a while, I'd probably just believe that it's time to move on and buy a sculpt from my wishlist, instead of spending money on the same sculpt again.

If I just got the doll, I'd probably buy it again, because I didn't get enough chances with it.

12. I think I would be crushed, and I would never be able to replace the original doll, but I do think I would replace the sculpt. Regardless of how much I loved the doll, I also am forever in love with the sculpt of every doll I buy, so I would want to replace the doll and allow it to develop in to it's own, new character.

13. He can be replaced but the feelings for the first doll won't be the same since I had all my "firsts" done on him (extreme yellowing where one side of his face is pinker than the other, accidental sanding that he has a dent on the bridge of his nose, etc) but then that would be a good transition into a new chapter in his doll life :)

14. Hm. I'm not sure. If my dolls got destroyed I would definitely "want them back". I might go and get them replaced (I would have to send the broken parts to the company and pay for replacement) simply because it would hurt too much to not have them.

Whether they would have the same personality or not is unsure to me. I think it would be "unfair" to the original dolls and the new ones would have a life of their own.

I guess I won't know until it happens. (And I hope it never does. >_>; )

15. Some of my dolls are replaceable, and those, if stolen, destroyed or whatever, I perhaps wouldn't replace. I have a special few that their characters are so strong that I could never get back or would want back. If lost, they would be truly mourned and grieved for. Same feeling I had as a kid; someone stole one of my original dolls and although my parents replaced her, it was not the same for me.

16. No, they wouldn't be replaceable. Not only are their face-ups unique and all the little things like piercings and whatnot, but also their little faults, minor scratches and such couldn't be replaced, as couldn't the time I spent with them. I wouldn't even try replacing them.

17. I think that they are replaceable to certain extent.
      Like Synesthesia said I would want to get them back, since I could no longer imagine living without my crew.
      Only problem would be the face ups since they are all custom made by someone else, except for 2. And I cannot live with the fact that one of them would have a whole (errr slightly) different face all at once. I've already came across that problem once...
      As for the bodies, well I don't think I would mind that some would be "upgraded" since the older bodies might not be available anymore.

18. I couldn't replace them :(

19. A good question, I was just speaking with my insurance company and this question of whether my dolls are replaceable or not came up.....

Isao Nanjou:Even if I get another same doll, things won't be the same. Nope, love THIS particular Isao, my Isao is not replaceable. However, technically, he can be replaced because he is in his original company faceup, box and full set outfit. It might take a while to look for the full set doll but he is not impossible to replace.

F38 Chrisitian: Not replaceable unless I do another fcs on the f38 and the artist paint exactly like the first.

SOOM Sphaler: My Sphaler is full set with company face up. Not impossible to replace but it won't be the same even if I can find the exact same replacement.

Yukinojo Sawaragi: Extremely hard to replace because he is ultra rare. A fullset Yukinojo SD 16 boy in original Volks face up.

Sigh, sometimes, I feel that buying insurance to cover my dolls is a waste of money because most if not all of them cannot replaced.

20. See, I've been thinking about this, and my actual dolls, and what I've done in the past.

It's hard for me to give a definite answer, because of how many dolls I've sold in the past, with the intention of reshelling them into a different mold.

The doll that I consider my "First" was actually my third bjd. He was the first doll I ever got so invested in, made a character out of, and enjoyed. He is what really drove me into the doll hobby. Before him, the two other dolls I had, they had names, but they were more ornamental than anything...not for lack of tying, I just couldn't get "into" them, as pretty as I thought they were.

This doll, was a dollzone Hid, which, for anyone who doesn't know, is a slim, but still childish-bodied MSD. The dolls I started collecting after him (or with him, really) were all slim-slim msds. They were significantly smaller/shorter than him, and I really wanted my dolls to be more "uniform" as far as size to keep them into storylines (at this time they were all characters based off of the dolls themselves, NOT dolls based off of ocs). My other boy, at the time, was a Minifee Seorin, who I fell deeply in love with (as far as dolls go, anyway).
      It took me a long time (almost 2 years of having my Hid) before I decided I wanted to reshell him into a Minifee.
      It's been almost 2 years since I sold him, and I still have yet to even start saving the funds for me to reshell him, though, it's still in the back of my mind.

My Minifee Seorin, on the other hand, I sold him for personal reasons, and shipped him out on the 2nd anniversary of his arrival. I cried, to say the least, and even though there was nothing "special" (he was a standard addition, with the factory faceup), I do feel, that if I wanted to get him back, I would have to buy THAT particular doll, or at least his head. The same one I sold. It would be hard for me to picture a different Minifee Seorin as my Andino, even with the same factory faceup. I might try, if I can't get him back, so this may all be null and void, but for now, I would much prefer that head.

On the other hand, I have had dolls based off of my original characters, which I have reshelled plentiful amounts of times, trying to find the right mold to stick, so....it's really hard for me to tell.

I guess, if the doll is based off of the character it's okay, but if the character is based off of the doll...then it's hard, but in some cases do-able.