1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

are your dolls too "precious" to enjoy?

Sep 11, 2008

1. I'm probably a very laid back owner.
      My dolls ONLY see the inside of their boxes if they currently have parts being modded (like legs) and I don't want to lose pieces.

My leeke is a limited..with crushed eyelashes. Too much effort sometimes to use her face protector...and with the way she's strung she's always smacking herself in the face anyways, so why worry?

I don't wash my hands before handling them...other peoples, I wash first..but mine? nope. They get regular dish soapy water baths..but one or two usually have a few dirty smears (lol I take the little ones to work and they hang out on my rather dusty desk)

My dolls clothing I handwash in a sink with dish soap (or laundry soap, just depends on what is available). I TRY to keep colors separate...but nothing gets dry cleaned. (even my btssb dresses got handwashing...my full size ones can handle it, so why can't the tiny ones?)

at the same time though, I don't leave my big boy standing unattended (the little ones I do..less distance to fall) and I'm reasonably gentle/careful with them, so they dont have chips or anything (and my boy has an extensive mod job so I have to be really careful in ways with him)

2. My first doll is on her way. I'll probably wash my hands, keep her out of the sunlight unles I'm outside with her for photos or a meetup but leaving her in the box all the time? No way! She is way too pretty to be hidden away. Not to mention I don't think she'd like it too much either.

3. my dolls are out for me to see..some are in my bedroom that isn't totally darkened but have dark curtains and room darkening blinds and even when totally open, my bedroom is a little shaded...that's they way I like it.
      Some are out in the living room, or on my sewing table as models... but they aren't in full sunlight.
      I didn't spend alot of money on them to keep them tucked away...they are going to yellow no matter what you do.. I don't even have the boxes they all came in, I reuse them to ship dolls in that I've sold.

4. I spent way too much money on my dolls not to enjoy them. I keep them out, and don't worry terribly much about sunlight -- there's nowhere dark in my apartment to keep them except the bedroom and I'm never in there except to sleep.I pick them up and mess around with them a lot, and I don't wash my hands unless they're dirty or I was just eating or something. If the dolls get dirty I give them a rubdown with a damp magic sponge.

The only time I box dolls is if they're being sold or, in one case, when my Unoa's ENTIRE TORSO was gone for repairs -- it was much safer to keep her disembodied head and limbs in her box than have them rolling around. XD;

I think BJDs are a lot more durable than a lot of people give them credit, and if I had to be concerned about damage every single time I handled them I probably would have sold them by now.

5. It would have been a waste if I couldn't enjoy them by playing, fiddling and working with them. They are always in a dark corner of my room to protect them from sunlight, of course. But I do bring one of them out once in a while to enjoy a day with me outside and photograph. Even get a little dirty in the process. And I cant say my hands are always clean when I play with them, but I enjoy cleaning them. Feels like I bond with them even more, taking care of them like a mother would. :)
      So far none of them have suffered any damage and yellowing. With the right precautions and handling, you can enjoy your doll to the fullest without being scared.

6. I am the opposite to the subject title. To me my dolls are to precious to box away! My dolls are always on display around my bedroom and although I keep all the boxes, I will never keep a doll inside one. It is because the dolls are so precious to me that I feel like this, because in my mind, something precious to me should never be hidden away.

I take care with my dolls obviously, I don't handle them with dirty or greasy hands, I brush and comb their wigs, give them sponge baths when they get dirty, keep them out of sunlight and take care not to position them where they can likely fall and become damaged. But I will still display my dolls, play with them, take them out for photo shoots and really enjoy them.

7. Lol, nope!
      I only washed my hands if got dirt/oil on them.
      Keep him on my lap, by my side, if I'm on the computer/watching computer.
      On his bed when I'm not playing with him.
      I'll never go as extreme as keeping him in his box and in the closet o___O
      I'll only take him out for photograph if the sun's not too strong.
      What's the point of buying an expensive doll if you dont enjoy them?

8. :D i was just thinking this after i did a shoot outside and Min got a bit dirty. I though "ohh maybe i should stop and just put her on display" but i really do love 'playing' with her and i would never think of just putting her in a box in a dark room...

I suppose if i got a doll that was more of a collecters item, a real limited addition i might keep it better but i love them too much not to touch!!! LOL

9. i think at first i was too cautious, but now i handle my Noah quite a lot. i poke at his face a lot cus his hair crushes his eyelashes (which i know would make a lot of bjd owners cringe if they watched LOL!). i don't wear gloves either, but i do wash my hands before i handle him so that i won't get grease stains on him. i'm really obsessive about having clean hands. seriously, i can't do anything if my hands feel grubby.

10. I enjoy mine the best I can, what's the point of loving them so much and keeping away for them? I am careful when taking them in the sun, I'm careful not to sit them opposite the window if it's a sunny day. The only thing I wouldn't do with them is take them on a plane, which is sad coz that means I have to leave them from two weeks if ever I wanna go away on holiday. I don't worry about them getting dirty because I clean mine every few months and yellow isn't so much of an issuse they all go through it and it's not that they turn bright yellow or anything, they just discolor a tiny amount but everyone makes a panic about that.

11. Don't worry about it too much, or you'll never be able to enjoy your dolls. =]

I take care in handling my dolls, but at the same time I'm not paranoid about damaging them or anything. I wouldn't find the point in buying these dolls if I didn't play with them otherwise. ^^

12. I have two rules with my boy:

1. Do not touch his face
      2. Do not drop him

Anyone who has ever met him is told this, and other than that I really do enjoy my Kao :D

He is always sat somewhere where I can see him, and often comes out to work with me, he sits on my desk and makes me smile :)

I can see why some dolls are more "precious" than others i.e LE Fullsets etc, but I am happy with my standard KDelf that I can cart around with me and enjoy to the full :)

13. My dolls aren't in their boxes either - I love having them around at various spots in my room; I'm aware of the yellowing process, so they're not anywhere in direct sunlight at any point of the day, but I'm not paranoid either to keep them in their boxes 24/7.

I handle them a fair bit, with bare hands; but definitely make sure they're not greasy from food or if they're dirty with paint/ink marks, etc. All my dolls' faceups are done by me, so I guess, in a way, I'm not too 'precious' about them, since I know I can always redo them if it gets rubbed off or scratched, but I always handle their faces by holding on only to ears or chin, and hair, and never touch their faceups if I can help it.

Of course, how I handle my dolls and how I handle other people's dolls when they're here for commissions is totally different; they're always kept in a safe, dark spot when I'm not working on them - I appreciate that not everyone handles their dolls' the same way. ;)

Ideally, I'd love to have a dedicated shelving unit where I can keep all my dolls' clothes, shoes, wigs and the dolls themselves, but at the moment, space at home is a premium! :XD:

14. I have a Moona from Sleeping Elf and I have 4 outfits now, three pretty dresses and a corset/pantaloon set. I probably swap her clothes 3 or 4 times a week and put her in a different pose most days. I am going to build a dolls house emporium small build toll house, decorated pink and with roses, so she can live there, but i suspect she will spend most of her time sitting in her garden....

15. I must admit that I don't really "play" with my dolls because fo the price they cost me.
      I enjoy more my Pullip because I'm not "scared" to break her.

16. Yli is never on display, just to keep her from the sun when I cannot fully enjoy her company I keep her in a bed in a drawer where I keep all of her stuff. Her bed is made from half of her box, but it's opened, and she is covered comfortably in her pajamas.

I usually will wash my hands if I havent recently, or if I feel dirty/have been dirty recently

I take her out a lot with me, sometimes I wonder about the city smog, and that we often walk on a popular road at night (almost never during the day) ~ but I give her a good magic eraser brush every few weeks.

I wash her wigs gently by hand, but have yet to clean her clothes (though they need them) -

Before the meetups and during I always wash my hands because I have respect for keeping others dolls well since of course I use my bare hands.

I am a bit of a germ nazi RL so my cleanliness isn't a big problem to me, and I can't imagine keeping Yli boxed up, non touched in a dark box 24/7... Even when she isn't out I talk for her and to her and she is a regular part of my life, not a collector thing, nor a toy... I guess the closest she would come to is a pet/friend/kid... And I don't treat my cats like that, so why her?

17. i had that problem with Soom Beryl when i had her (sold her a little while ago).
      she was a fullset and fully blushed and i could never really get comfortable with handling her because i was afraid to scratch her beautiful blushing, and maybe also the fact that she was so expensive and limited.

with all my dolls that are home now i don't have that problem, i am careful with them and wash my hands before touching them (i wash my hands pretty often anyway), but i am not afraid to handle them. all my tinies get posed and handled a lot and Louis my hound gets cuddled a lot and sits with me when i watch a movie, and i enjoy that.
      they aren't displayed in direct sun but aren't put away either, i like being able to see them all. :aheartbea

18. I'm not overly protective of my dolls. But I do take the basic precautions; avoiding to much sunlight, cleaning, etc.

19. I'm with Annina, limiteds make me nervous, which is why I don't have them. I do my own faceups so I won't be paranoid about scratching them, and I am careful to keep them in a room that stays around 65-75 year around. My house is sunny, though, and I do have one doll that is pretty lemony now--luckily I had no plans to sell her anyway;-)

As for keeping clothes clean, if the fabric was pre-washed before it was sewed (as it should be for better clothing) then a gentle hand wash in lukewarm water with a gentle soap like Woolite is actually better for the clothes than dry cleaning, which can burn or stain the clothes. I have some vintage human clothing that I wash flat in the tub on a plastic screen, and dry on a towel, and they do great. I admit to hate ironing dolly clothes, though;-)

20. My doll is LE but honestly...I didn't buy her to sit her on a shelf and never play with her. That's just too sad, it reminds me of the velveteen rabbit or something(except it's not a rabbit it's a 600$ doll). Besides, I like to play with my things-of course I'll be careful with her I'm not too uptight about it though. Makes sure my hands are clean, don't drop her and don't touch her face(though I know the first thing I'll want to do is touch her face XD)