1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

are your dolls too "precious" to enjoy?

Sep 11, 2008

1. I'm probably not as careful with my doll as I should be. I don't always wash my hands when I touch him. I usually try if I had stuff on them, but sometimes I'll have been working with something kind of dirty and I'll forget. So far nothing bad. I haven't even had him a month yet and he's already fallen off of a table, though nothing broke. He landed on carpet, though, so it probably wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Honestly, I keep him out on my computer desk (college student, it's my personal space area) so he's right by me most of the time that I'm home. I've carried him around campus without a facemask or anything on, taken him in the car, and he comes and sits on the couch by me when I do my homework and reads over my shoulder. I don't go out of my way to keep him out of the sun, though I also don't really go out of my way to harm him or put him in danger, either.

I guess there's part of me that thinks that since I paid so much for him I should do everything I can to keep him pristine, but I've discovered how well magic erasers work and I think I'd feel more guilty spending that kind of money on something I keep in a box and never take out.

Sorry to ramble, but I guess that's my feelings on the matter.

2. My three are always out of their boxes, sitting on my computer desk ( I have nowhere else to put them! ^^; ) They seem to get along well out there.

I'll have to worry a little bit more about yellowing with Libra, as he's white skin, but I don't keep them in sunlight anyways, and I don't find a couple of quick photo shoots to be any risk.

I do wash my hands before touching them, but I also wash before touching my keyboard, and other things.

3. Me? I buy them to have around and near me. When my husband's not home, I cart them around the house with me, leaving them here and there. Take them outside for photo shoots. Sun, dirt, sand, bring it on! ;) I bring a different one to work nearly every day.

Some derive their pleasure from viewing the dolls in a case, where they're kept pristine and beautiful. But for myself, I'm all about the hands on, baby! :lol:
      No gloves. And drooling is allowed. Encouraged, actually. The little attention monkeys.

4. All of my girls are sitting atop the bookcase, out of the light. I really worry about them yellowing or getting dirty. I'm actually getting a huge curio cabinet to place them in when they aren't being photographed. :sweat

5. I am a bit protective of my dolls in that I make sure wherever I take them is safe, otherwise I couldn't play with them and feel comfortable about doing it, but I only wash my hands if I have dirt on them or they feel sticky and I'm happy about taking them outside for photographs.

The Soulkid duo sit on my bookshelf quite happily, but because Alaw is BW, she's in a sealed box when she isn't out and about with me. I couldn't bear for her to turn yellow just because she was lying in the sun when I wasn't playing with her.

I've never taken a doll to work before, but I'm thinking about bringing Gwenllian tomorrow just so I can keep fitting her clothes in my breaks. I'm working on an elaborate Victorian get-up for her, and I've finished the bonnet and almost finished the travel cape, so I need to continue with the bloomers, skirt and shirt and it would be easier for me to move on to each step if I had her there for fittings, but I'm just worried about the reactions from the people I work with.

6. I can see where alot of people are coming from. How some are scared and others not so much. Myself, I try to take good care of my dolls.

-Cleaning them every so often with water and soap
      -Washing my hands before handling them
      -Keeping them out of sunlight
      -Keeping them in a good temperature

However, I do end up usually taking them outside to take pictures! :) I like to have fun with my dolls and I often hold them doing homework or watching a movie! Even if theyre limited dolls, theyre be treated just the same as my others!

7. I don't worry too much about yellowing. My dolls aren't much outside or in the sun, only at events and such. And if they get yellow.. Oh well.

About getting dirty.. I pay attention where I put my dolls and I only pick them up if I have clean hands. But I don't wear gloves or wash my hands extra or so. If they get dirty, I try to clean them as fast as I can.

I love my dolls. Ofcourse I don't want anything bad happening to them, but I don't want them sit and gather dust either. So I am careful when I pose them or pick them up, but I keep acting the same way as I would with any other beloved item. I don't do anything special.

8. I enjoy my girls WAY too much for the whole "covet the doll" mentality.

Very seriously, I just hate that sort of thing. Why spend the money and effort getting the doll if you're not going to enjoy them.

Sure, don't take them into the sun tooooo much, and try to keep them from falling.

But hey, if they yellow, some sand paper fixes it. If they fall, they're not always going to get hurt.

9. just checking in on the responses, and i am glad to see that it's o.k. to enjoy these dolls. that's how i feel, but after reading so many posts about the worries that some people have, i got worried. you know, it isn't the worst thing that could happen if the dolls yellow a little, or get a little dirty......that's why there's "mr clean" eraser, and "bubble baths"!

i think i will go play now!

10. I am a Barbie collector reject, who always “devalued” the dolls by opening the box. All I wanted to do was to take them out and play, but it was a no..no. I then came upon an interview of the Volks Dollfie creators who said that these dolls were meant to be played with and it changed my whole perspective on what these dolls were really for. To be played with, enjoyed and above all things loved. So by all means… Play away, but carefully!

I have a broken ear and a broken finger to prove these guys are fragile.

11. Raison d'etre! (reason for being) - even though they are precious, they are also meant to be played with!

So, while I do take care when I play (I got the blushing from Soom for my Beryl, so you know I have to be extra careful!), I still play!

Being careful doesn't mean you can't play with them, it just means you care when you play with them!

Arkhe

12. I play with my dolls in much the same way I'd play with a $10 action figure. The price point isn't really all that high, so I tend to play with mine alot. The only one I'm "careful" (used so incredibly loosely) with is my Chiwoo, and that's because he was my first doll.

To be honest, I'm not even that careful with him. He goes everywhere with me and does everything with me.....

I'd collect plates or... swords... or something like that if I wanted a display. Or maybe I'd collect.... books. Unopenable books.... it's about the same thing to me, really.

13. Well, nope, not at all.

They do spend lots of time in their boxes :sweat:sweat:sweat because I do not have a place to put them all.... so they take turn to come out and play

14. I dont wear gloves but I never touch their resin directly with my hands "except for my very first girl who I am fearless with" I grab a hanky to use as a barrier went posing or moving them, It makes a hugh difference when the resisn stays untouched then the resin keeps its oringnal "grain" and doesnt get a shiny look to it.

I'm really starting to enjoy my dolls more now. before I would only take them out of their boxes at about 6pm or whenever it would get dark,
      then before I went to bed at night I'd box them up again and stack the boxes it my closet. I'm slowly getting over my daytime-resin fear and let them stay out, but I do keep the blinds shut tight with the curtain drawn, so now I have to live like a vampire durning the day but atleast I can have them out and can enjoy them.

15. I play with Isabella all the time.

I am very careful to never touch her face. Her hands get dirty, because I like to hold them. They are so delicate and ladylike.

I worry about her clothes getting dirty, staining her, or her face-up being scratched/rubbed.

I try not to worry to much, because we should all enjoy our dolls.

16. I think I fall into this catergory. Although I don't wear gloves when handling my dolls (only when I take them out of their box for the first time when they arrive) but I normally wash my hands thoroughly before handling them. I never touch their faces, and I worry that their clothes and wigs will stain the resin, so when I'm done with them, I strip them down naked and place them back into their boxes. I know it's a time consuming process to take them out of the box, put clothes and wigs on, do whatever, take the clothes and wigs off, put them back in the box every single time, but it's become a habit. They are not certainly 'too precious to enjoy' but I do like to take care of my dolls. Maybe a little too much.

17. I'm careful with my boy in a strange way, I guess. I always like to have him near me, in the same room if not right next to me. When i'm out, I always make sure he's out of the sun and it a position which means he won't be knocked down.

I don't wear gloves, and only wash my hands if they've got dirt/food etc. on them. I just make sure I carry him properly, but generally I enjoy him.

I'm spastic with other people though. :_: Even if my sister walks in the room my immediate reaction is to snap "Watch out for Kae!" xD I wouldn't dream of letting someone hold him if I wasn't 100% sure I could trust them not to drop him on his head.

18. The only thing I really worry about are the faceups, and those I try not to touch, and I treat them carefull... otherwise, I've come to find that the dolls themselves, are fairly resilliant :)

... and after having a Misty Blue Bambicrony Elf Kumi from their first batch of colored elves... you know...the ones that, thanks to yellowing, are now pretty much Misty Green... well... the "normal" yellowing of a doll just doesn't bother me much anymore XD

19. I'm... unsure if I take care of my dolls xD
      The only things I try to watch out is when their skin comes into contact with sharp uneven surfaces(i.e barefoot on gravel, arm against brick wall, etc) and... not to drop them or break anything with heavy impact^^;

That said, I wasn't very fazed when I found that the wire I placed in my Jade's leg had gotten lodged in between his knee join and carved a relatively deep line on the ball^^;
      I just went "Oh. okay ._.; and pushed the wire back in place^^;;"
      Mind you, he's my doll who I love verily and call him my own precious son xD

I've also chipped a bit of my SD's double joints, because to me it's a bit hard to snap them to bend xD; I tend to be a little rough because of this^^ His feet and hands are also a bit complicated to turn because of the design, so I've probably gotten the inside of the balls deeply scratched with the hook^^;

They stay in my room, on my bed unless I take them out for photos, but then my room is small and the lights are on almost all the time.

And when I take pics of them outside, the only reason I hate bright sunlight is that it tends to wash out my pics xD;

Whether I've bathed or not, whether I've just sweated or not, I'd hold my dolls and nuzzle them when I wish to. Sometimes I just wipe my hands on my pants and just grab them, if they're just lightly dirty^^;

They tend to stay in the same clothes for weeks and months too, without any thoughts of stain crossing my mind. That said, I also don't really clean my dolls unless I see a stain. And of course, since they don't undress much, the stains I clean are usually just on their hands, forearms, legs and face^^;

tl;dr - Although I love my dolls dearly, and they're greatly precious to me, I am suddenly unsure if I really do take care of them like they're supposed to be taken care off xD;

20. I make sure I don't put her in any situation in which she might get damaged, which includes taking her anyplace I might feel unsafe with her out ... I've been wanting to take her out in town but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable that she'd remain alright. I've taken her outside once for some photos, but ... well, it kinda started raining after that and has been raining since, haha! (England...!)

Her living space is an alcove in our hallway, which is shaded. I feel better leaving her there when I'm not playing with her. I always have clean hands anyway since I hate the feeling of unwashed hands so much ><;

I actually play with her a lot, or at the very least have her around me a lot and keep fiddling and re-arranging her ^.^ But I do it gently. I feel like I should handle her gently because she looks so sweet, haha~ I love having her lie on my lap the most :)

I was quite scared of doing anything with her until I learned how to re-string her, and have had her in bits several times for stringing practice, seam-removal, MSC coating, blah blah ... highly recommend anyone who is afraid to take their dolls apart to take the plunge and do so! It really helped me get to grips with my dolly :)