1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

are your dolls too "precious" to enjoy?

Sep 11, 2008

1. I would say I am some where in between. I'm not about to box my dolls but I don't leave them on the floor or anything(unless I'm on the floor too lol) My house hold there is generally a fall a day lots of face plants but always onto carpet and and my girl is always falling back and smashing the back of her head against desk or where every else she is sitting including sometimes me!overall thought I would rather spend time sanding a few scratches and touching up faces then keeping them in boxes what's a doll without a few battle scars?

2. When got my first doll, I let her sleep on the other side of the bed next to me. She was pretty safe there, but now that I have more dolls I have them hang out on random shelves and dressers around my room. I do get eerie about the sunlight hitting them though, I would hate to see them yellow, but that doesn't mean they don't go outside to play from time to time.

3. I enjoy all my dolls. I don't treat my limited dolls any differently. I keep my dolls out of direct sunlight as much as possible but I have taken outdoor shots in the sunlight. I don't handle my dolls with dirty hands but I don't worry about oils from my hand. I protect their faceup and don't leave them where they can fall and be broken but that's about it.

4. After reading some of the horror stories on hre I think I am going to be a bit precious about my first doll.

5. I worry a lot about the sunlight discoloring my dolls, so admittedly I keep them in a closet or their boxes most of the time, even though I'd love to have them hang out on my desk while I'm working on the computer.

6. I have quite an extensive collection and they all come out and play. I have them in a class cabinet when we are not playing but I don't hesitate to let them sit out on a chair or on my computer desk. We are fortunate, our windows all have UV protection.

7. I'm pretty laid-back about my dolls, but when it comes to Grace, my Narae, I AM cautious. She stays in her box unless she is out for photos or I just fancy admiring her. This may be criminal to some doll owners, but what can I say? She's pinky-white french resin and there's no way I want to speed up her yellowing process by keeping her out of the box all the time.

8. My dolls sit on a table next to my bed. They have NEVER been kept in their boxes (I don't even know where I put them ^^;; ). As for handling them, I do wash my hands if I've been eating or handling something dirty, otherwise they're clean enough and I don't worry too much. I almost never take them out of the house, and if I do, it's for photo purposes.

9. My dolls are like my resin kids. I am careful with them as i can be but they would suffocate in boxes X.x. I dont even let my mum wrap them in xmas paper if there an xmas gift to cruel X.x

10. In the beginning I was pretty cautious, but nowadays I've relaxed considerably about my dolls. Generally I just wash may hands before touching them. I even wear dark nail polish nowadays (which I used to not do, because I was afraid of leaving nail polish marks on the resin). But as I come to be more confident about what I can and can't do, and I come to understand what the resin can handle, I can y'know, push the envelope a little.

11. One can strike a balance between precious + play-worthy... I started out with plenty of The Fear myself, when I got my first dolls & wasn't sure how much I could/should touch them. It takes a little practice and experience handling them, before you find your comfort-zone with them.

Your comfort-zone can also vary from doll to doll. Some of my boys are real stunt-players, and can go anywhere & do anything without much fear of damage. (Those wonderful normalskin, un-blushed, sturdy Volks boys! They're built like brick houses! :whee:) Others are more precious and get less play, because they've got delicate resin, special faceups, fragile body-blushing, or special body-parts (like the tanned-resin boys, the School A with the Satoko Ohno faceup, or the finned blue-painted Merman Vega).

None of them live in the box, though. Even the most precious ones, they all live on tables and shelves. They're draped with scarves during the day, to avoid sun-damage and airborne soot/grime (I live in a city, and the air is grimy). When I come home, on evenings & weekends, then I take off the drapes to enjoy them en masse. When they do travel, even the toughest ones get face-bubbled and bubble-wrapped and secure before they go anywhere... Limited faceups aren't easy to fix, and you can prevent so much damage with just a few extra seconds of effort + a little bubblewrap. I do wash my hands before playing with them; again, a few seconds' worth of effort, not a big deal.

PS: For yellowing, the best thing to do is to repeat to yourself every day, "The dolls WILL turn yellow someday, with or without me." :) It can be delayed and it can be sanded away temporarily, but it'll come back anyway, and it's going to happen. Letting yourself just accept this fact can help you learn to relax about enjoying your dolls.

12. I never keep my dolls in their boxes (I did try, but they just don't stay in them very long)

After seeing some Volks display dolls butter yellow even though they were never exposed to real sunlight I'm very nervous about fluorescent lights = =;
      I try to turn off as many lights as possible in my room. (saving electricity XD)

I take them out pretty often too, but always in a set of what I call 'travel outfits' aka old wigs and clothes that i don't mind getting messed up/dirty.
      There are certain outfits/wigs that I'd never expose to the outside <.<;;

13. I think they are very precious, but not the the point of not taking them out of a box and just letting them sit in a clear box.

I understand collectable items, but being careful and taking care of them, playing with them, and making sure they are in tip top condition, is all worth it. ^_^

They make them able to play with for a reason, as well as gorgeous.

14. I do try to keep my hands clean before I handle Caesar and I try hard to make sure he's not in the sun too long. Other than that,I play with him all the time :) I don't keep him in his box unless it's night (it's....kind of he's bed).
      I will admit that I won't do certain things that can extremely dirty my doll but other than that I enjoy him :3 he's very precious to me but I brought him home to play,photograph, and make me happy :) why not enjoy him?

15. Depends how much you "mummy" your dolls.
      If you're so afraid to damage them to the point that you wont even touch them then yes. they are to precious to enjoy. To YOU!

But for me, I love playing with them, handling, etc etc etc. So what I'm trying to say is, they ARE precious. But still great fun to play with. ^^ So the answer to your question is no.

16. I guess by most standards I might be a terrible doll owner, haha. But I really enjoy my boy and that justifies his cost. I always have him out, never hidden away. We don't open our blinds but I get plenty of sun in my room.
      I do take my boy outside for photos and handle his face and even touch his face-up. But I also do my own face-ups so I supposed if his faceup gets ruined it doesn't bother me.
      He also sits around in black clothes at times, but I make sure to give hima good rub down every time I play with him/dress him.
      I just can't see myself keeping him out of sight or not handling him just because he costs so much. I bought him to enjoy him, and thats what I do. :}

17. I just want to add this - Even though my Narae stays in her box a lot of the time, this certainly does not mean that I don't enjoy her! Totally the opposite! When I release her from the box, it's like opening a new Christmas present, every time!

18. my dolls are very precious to me but I certainly don't treat them like they are made out of glass. They have been made to be played with, so I'm sure they can handle a bit.

I always leave them out in my room, it doesnt get much sunlight so thats okay. I sleep with them occasionally but that has never damaged them (maybe a squashed eyelash..) .. I do worry about yellowing though

I try to do as much as possible with them...

19. I'm careful with SeNii...but I wouldn't say that gets in the way of enjoying him! ^w^ He's often being lugged around the house in the crook of my arm, or at least hanging out in the same room as me...and when he isnt, which is rarely, he's chilling in his own room away from the sunlight and my kitties ^^

20. What if the way I like to enjoy my dolls is to treat them very preciously? xD True, they all sit on a shelf in my room, but I keep a long black curtain over the shelf to protect them from the sunlight ( this is mostly because I just don't have room to keep them in boxes all the time ). I don't sleep with them or play with them constantly. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them. Quite the opposite, I enjoy and love my boys immensely, and because of that I like to take absolute care in watching over them. It doesn't detract my enjoyment from them at all because I wouldn't have fun playing with them if I knew they were getting very dirty from oily fingers or something like that. *shrug* Sure, sometimes I break my own rules, but all in all, I don't think that just because someone decides to put their doll behind glass or something means they enjoy it less than someone who totes around their doll everywhere they go.