1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ariadoll, new 18yrs Majesty line

Jul 11, 2011

1. Here is a composite of Ariadoll's photo (left) and the photo by Mithril I posted earlier. I adjusted levels to make SD17s musculature more apparent, given that his skin is so much lighter.

[​IMG]

2. This boy would be perfect for the crew here, but between finances and waiting to see what's what on the SD17 issue... yeah, holding pattern here. I adore his face, though. Oddly, the face and the back divots would be the selling point, as the character would require heavy back scarring and, well, the odd shaping there would be a fantastic foundation for that.

3. Everytime Aria doll comes out with a new doll they look like a derivative of someone else's work (the girl's with their Unoa looks, Zion who really looked like volks Lucas) each time they have been getting closer and closer to a 'copy', and each one has made me feel a little more uncomfatable then the last.

Personally when I buy a doll, i want my money to go to an artist I feel has speant love/time in making the doll their own distinct creation. It's a shame becuase he heads is quite handsome and fairly unique looking, it's just the body really.

4. For the SD17 similarity, wasn't there a similar issue when Infiniti SID was released?
      Anyway, I am not interested in the body, but the head, not sure why, but I really like it.
      I wish it was released separately, I think I'd break my resolution not buying any new doll/doll parts before moving.

5. Agree 100%

6. It's looking very close. I can see some minor differences. The back joint with a ledge for posing is the main one. I think this is one for the moderators to call.

7. I also adore the head on this new guy, and was immediately reminded of the SD17 body when I saw the new 18 year old body. Personally, I think all their head sculpts are unique, but yeah, that body...

8. I don't think this doll is a copy but it does seem that Aria likes certain things about other companies' dolls and uses them as reference. I feel the same way about the Infinity SID. The SD16 and SD17 are two of my favorite boy bodies in this hobby and I can see why other companies would like how they are laid out and want to go the same way. I don't love that sort of inspiration but it isn't against "the rules".

That being said, I get in a mix up between my dislike of too-close-for-comfort inspiration and my personal doll needs. I need a white SD17 for my planned F-38 and Volks has not made one. What's a girl to do?

9. It's funny....I never would have picked up on the body similarities because I have no volks dolls, and haven't looked at many pictures of them.

I loved this doll at first glance, and I still really like his face. But I know WHY I love his face.
      Maybe I'm crazy, I hope I'm not the only one seeing it...but a few seconds looking at him and this boy looks SO much like a spiritdoll Abies. Not exactly like him mind...sort of like a toned down version of the Abies, but still with the very angular jaw and cheekbones, sunken cheeks in towards the nose and wide eyes.

10. Can't agree more.
      Aria just did it again, besides approximate to unoa zero's hands + breast + sd16 girl's legs, sd 17 whole body. what about a gr girl body, next?
      If a doll(body) don't contain any inspiration from an certain artist, why I have to appreciate his work?
      Sigh, I do have zero 16 17, all they are my favorite doll, and what aria did really make me feel upset.
      to idrisfynn : I do have same problem as you are, and I decide to use airbrush to paint my head or body to white...

11. Now that I see the pictures together, the similarities between the two bodies are not only in some details X_x
      I knew that Ariadoll use to inspire their dolls in other companies because the 14yrs classical boy body resembles to Volks SD body, but maybe this one is too much.
      Once you put Infinitidoll and SD17 bodies together they are not that similar, I found Infiniti body bigger and with huge shoulders, but I wonder how would look Ariadoll body and SD17 bodies together, if they were same shape and proportion, it would be almost a copy?

I have the same problem here, my Volks F16 is white skin and he is in a ns SD17 body because the body is too perfect, and I try to solve the color difference with some blushing in the head but of course is still noticeable that the head is lighter.

12. Is it me, or does it look like he has ears on his back...?

[​IMG]

13. Yes, it looks too similar to SD17 and has sooooo ugly shoulder blades. Like idrisfynn said - it's just TOO inspired, and I'm astonished that Volks don't say anything about it.

14. Do Volks know? Personally, if you were going to imitate a body, I'd be getting rid of the ear shoulder blades.

15. It does seem a little obvious, doesn't it?

But if a company hasn't been nailed for their previous "inspirations", I'd expect them to become more blatant over time.

16. This is what's stopping me from buying their dolls... I feel the similarity with Volks and Unoa is just too much to be comfortable ><

17. The ears (shoulderblades) are tipped and placed lower on the back, but yes, that's the one feature I would have erased. It looks bizarre. And the top of the butt looks the same as well, and just about as weird to me. Why have the cheeks so clenched they could hold a pencil back there?
      But(t), I'm still getting a Mr. Gravity. I want to make a David Tennant Dr. Who out of him. :)
      Now if I could just find an Eccleston...!

18. Didn't Volks patent that? That actually is more damning than anything else looking similar, as that is a very specific way of attaching hands and feet Volks came up with, and if they did do something legal to cement their rights to that design, would give them a much better leg to stand on in pursuing copying.