1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Artists and BJDs

Sep 4, 2009

1. Oh, so true, I mean, about the amount of work and effort that goes into creative endeavors! People may be born with talent, more or less, but that only goes so far. The rest is a lot of time and effort getting good at something and making things well.

I was going to ask if people thought that artists had extra advantages in being a BJD owner. But the answer should be related to this thought, at least as far as my experience goes... Some artistic training or experience or talent can help a bit, BUT I've found that it still takes experience and work to, for instance, do a faceup, even if one has some artistic skill to begin with. So it stands to reason, someone without previous experience can also put the time and effort in and learn to do well at something like that.

2. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists? Well, yes. They're often sold as unfinished products. It's an open-door invitation to those who've always fiddled with their collectibles and customized them in some way, even without the social acceptance (of such meddling) we enjoy in this hobby.

Are you an artist of some kind? What kind? And what draws you to BJDs?
      I was a doll artist, I sculpted and made porcelain art dolls.... usually "faeries" (elves, really) or mermaids. This just made it so much easier.

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)? Well... so far they really have impeded my own work as an artist. Who can compete on a technical/engineering leve with bjd? It scares the heck out of me, I can tell you! I run my mouth endlessly about wanting to sculpt a bjd, but seeing the harsh judgments, the narrow definition of "on-topic-ness" and so forth. Well... I have so far been content to just chicken out.

Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them? I have tried this, but I know after so many years that I'm just a lazy BS-er. See Above.

Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own? Oh no. I'd never elevate my status to someone who's lucky enough to be a non-artist!! XD I have met and moved on from acquaintances who cannot at all deal with the demands of the bjd hobby. I'm mean enough to allow myself to feel superior. After all, it happens seldomly in this world that I'm allowed to do so, so why not?

Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs? Hmm. I grew up with Anime/Manga as part of my larger participation in Japanese culture due to where I live and the era I've grown up in. As a disclaimer I feel I must say I don't love all Anime/Manga... I'm picky about everything. I am not on DA, nor am I very familiar with it, so I can't say there. I'm sure there's some relation there... I love big-eyed pretty girls with pointy chins and Japanese culture. I collect all kinds of Japanese art and antiques, though... so this is just part and parcel of that, really.

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag? Yes, possibly, but I think I now have a standard of doll art that I never would have had without bjd, so I can't say it's necessarily a bad thing, just more intimidating!

Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)? I've been painting dolls since 1980, so when I discovered bjd it was just more fun, but without the bother of kilns. What's been good for me is having a whole new standard; that of the Asian factory bjd painters. The precision is mind-boggling and a very worthy aspiration.

Are having BJDs an extension of your creativity in some way? (If so--in what way?) Has it helped your art(or skills) to have them--or not? If I can get out from under my laziness and level of intimidation (technically/artistically) then I'm sure it will have been a good influence. It's been fun to sew for dolls that are articulated, also. Anyone can make a simple garment for a stiff porcelain antique-type of doll, but making garments for dolls that *move* is a whole other ballgame.

Does it seem to you that there are a lot of artist BJD owners? Or do you think it's just average? Or even fewer artists than you would expect? It seems that the most successful bjd owners are those that can create the most visually compelling characters. Dolls, imho, have always been the most challenging of art projects. Now we have to include digital/internet prowess into the mix. Ha! And classical art still sneers at our 'distaff' hobby. I'd like to see Murasaki make a doll (not that I'm aware he's ever sneered at dolls, but you know what I mean).

Do you think BJDs attract certain kinds of artists more than others types? (Fantasy artists more than Landscape artists? Or more anime artists than Fine Artists? Or photographers more than painters?) Oh I'm sure trendy Asian pop-culture has a lot to do with it, but for me that part was accidental. I need to ask the person who clued me in how they discovered the hobby! If it's fantasy, I think that's a more recent development. When I discovered bjd, there were about two bjd who had elf ears and that was it!

Raven

3. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      Yeah, probably. All the creativity is awesome.

Drawing, painting, digital, mixed media, sequential, illustration, jewelry costuming, creative writing, props and set production...
      What draws me to bjds is having models of characters I write about, and having an outlet for all the cinema production and design ideas I have without having to join The Industry.

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)?
      They make lousy models as compared to real humans, so I use them for photography models and costume/production design clotheshorses.

Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them?
      See above.

Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own?
      Um, I have no idea since I've never been anything else. I've drawing and making stuff out of other stuff since I could remember.

Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs?
      Not my love of BJDs. I am not a huge fan of anime. I personally have little use for the art style for various reasons.

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag?
      Eh, mixed bag. I play with dollies when I should be doing illustration work!

Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)?
      I am learning photography in leaps and bounds! Not to mention messing with making leather shoes, and learning faceups and serious mods.

Are having BJDs an extension of your creativity in some way? (If so--in what way?) Has it helped your art(or skills) to have them--or not?
      See above.

Does it seem to you that there are a lot of artist BJD owners? Or do you think it's just average? Or even fewer artists than you would expect?
      The hobby seems to attract people who are crafty and like to customize dolls, or people who are interested in anime and like the dolls because some resemble anime style people.

Do you think BJDs attract certain kinds of artists more than others types? (Fantasy artists more than Landscape artists? Or more anime artists than Fine Artists? Or photographers more than painters?)
      Pooooosibly more anime artists and photographers, but I have no way of telling.

Anything else you might want to discuss regarding artists and BJDs?
      Eh, I think this covers it.

4. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      As for an anime artist, very yes! They have a lot of the anatomy used in anime. As an artist that respects scuplters, very yes! These little guys are soo clean cut!
      I am an artist. I am a furry artist now. Dolls creeped me out for the longest time. I use to play with dinosaurs up untill I got my first doll three years ago (and I still have him too). I just found them almost mystical. I always saw people carrying them arount my artist alley table, and just fell in love!
      Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)?
      Not really. I enjoy collecting plushies as well as playing with them. These guys are more of a grown up's doll. I do love playing with them.
      Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them?
      Nope. If I want a model I will look at an anatomy book.
      Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own?
      I do really respect the art of sculpture. I can't work in the 3d, so seeing these guys is just an amazing piece of artwork! I think anyone can fall in love with a BJD, they just have to find the one for them. ^^
      Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs?
      I have met peeps that are into anime that collect dolls. I have also met peeps who are totaly not into anime at all. I believe anime, and DA have made the community of BJD bigger.
      Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag?
      I have not been able to draw in 8 months. Art is my life. I have seriously though bad thoughts and gone into depression because the love of my life, art, left me. But then I unpacked my dolls and started to play with them again. If someone is TRULY passionate about their art, NOTHING gets in the way of that.
      Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)?
      I have not tried face ups. But I do want to sew more, but I think that is because I can't draw right now.
      Are having BJDs an extension of your creativity in some way? (If so--in what way?) Has it helped your art(or skills) to have them--or not?
      nope. not at all
      Does it seem to you that there are a lot of artist BJD owners? Or do you think it's just average? Or even fewer artists than you would expect?
      Everyone is an artist in one way or another.
      Do you think BJDs attract certain kinds of artists more than others types? (Fantasy artists more than Landscape artists? Or more anime artists than Fine Artists? Or photographers more than painters?)

Well that was fun to answer!

Rozga

5. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      As a fantasy artist yes! it is a 3d extension of my 2d art
      I am an artist. I have been an artist since I could hold a pencil and thats longer ago than i like...I have always loved dolls and my small daughter(not so small now!!!) always gave me a abrbie and brush so I could play too. My dolls never had clothes that were bought as loved draping and pinning fabric. My mind provided the gorgeousness my fingers couldn't produce!
      No I give them back stor and character and feel like a goof doing it but are an extension of my reading and other art
      No, thats what life drawing is for.
      I think I respect and admire the art involved in these dolls. I have tried making 3D sculpts and I am rubbish! So I appreciate all the time and skill and artitry that goes into them.
      Yes but I can't say how as it all leads round and round. I like anime but am not into it big time I like mangabut same again. I like dolls and love the poseability. DoA makes it all linked and I am finding out about other stuff all the time.
      OMG, I had a new doll arrive, my first and I spent three days straight with her...I didn't even cook for my family.
      I have done small amount of face up on my new girl but having seen others now I want loads of dolls so that I can try everything.
      Yes an extension but it is just that.
      Everyone has an artist in them. It can be difficult to get out for some folks.
      No I think there is a whole range of artists who are interested.

6. I can't use them, if I'm wanting to depict a realistic human, anyway... as a sort of still-life/doll, they can totally work. And I suppose if someone is mostly using them for inspiration rather than reference, that can be OK. My stuff tends to be more realistic than stylized or anime, so I need to see real human... and I also need fairly extreme poses most of the time... or at least something that is naturalistic for a human, which takes lots of work to attempt to reproduce, even in the most pose-able doll.

7. I'm not exactly an 'artist' but I draw like... 80% of the time and it's my favourite hobby, and I've studied it FOREVER!!! XD

Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      There definitely is for me. But because you asked for artists in general... I suppose not XD. Even though I normally work with pencils and pens I have recently done a lot of expressive work with paint and I think that BJD is a great way to express oneself without being too messy XDD.
      But along with that I guess the reason why BJD really interests me is because I always draw figures and faces. Sure they have the structure and features of something quite fantasy-like but it just makes it all the better for me :D

Most definitely. To me, art is expression, and when you dress the dolls up and do their make up you are giving them a form that comes from your own imagination - that's expression right? (I go on far too much about expression XD). I still think my reasoning is equal with anyone else's reasoning for why they like BJD, why wouldn't it be? I just think that I might be focusing on different aspects of BJD.

I don't have a doll of my own yet T.T but I am planning on basing the doll on my artwork. I have a character in mind who just happens to pop up in my doodles XD. I don't think the dolls themselves would inspire me, they're more like manakins that I would 'breathe life' into; once I've bought them I would do all I can to make them into the character I have already created.
      I also agree with april and Rosslyn, the dolls can't be used as models because they're just... different. They're very stylized and I think they suit photography much better :D

They look very manga - like. That is exactly why I think I'd have a hard time linking my more realistic drawings to them XD. I really like manga and I draw a lot of it (well, about as much as I draw realistically XD) and I'm even planning on naming my doll after a big influence in my manga style.

Also, in answer to april's question: if people thought that artists had extra advantages in being a BJD owner. I think that it's definitely down to experience. There will probably be people with talent for such things as the face ups, the making of clothing, the photography and so on, but in most respects I'd imagine that doing these things for BJD individually is a little different. Along with that, there is so much to do with them that an 'artist' would have to stretch their talent across them all. Face-ups are probably the biggest challenge because, unless you've dealt with dolls before, it's pretty different from other art forms. I've seen other people doing the face-ups and I've seen the process... it requires a lot of practice and determination! XD
      Although I guess I will only know for sure when I get a doll of my own, this is all just my opinion from what I've seen :s

8. I agree. I've had plenty of experience drawing and painting, but that's nothing like doing a faceup. Working on a 3D surface is a really different experience. The benefit that previous artistic training or practice might give would be perhaps more confidence starting out? But then again, maybe not--I still ended up waiting till my third doll to try a faceup.

9. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      I think there is. Well, for the ones that can get over the price. Lol. Myself as a artist. At first I was more so attracted to their beauty. But after a while, and poking around here on DoA. I could see that there was so much of a creative aspect behind them. Which made me want one more. My first doll, and only one at the moment. Has already helped me with my writing. She has conjured up a story in my mind, and I intend to finish this one. For her, and all the other doll I will be getting for that story. And myself. Not only that, she has gotten me more interested in photography, wanting to learn how to sew and paint. It's quite the wonderful thing. But I'm sure it's not only artist. Many people have different reasons for liking these dolls.

I'm more so of a writer, as stated above. But I also draw here and there. I could get better, but what can ya do? I think what draws me to them, is their whole customizing aspect. I love anything that you can make your own. And in me making Citlali so perfect! I will now make my other characters come to life! And it'll be amazing. <3

At first, no. I just really wanted one in the beginning. But once she was here.. And all together. She became my new OC. So, now I try to use her to inspire me to finish my story. That also goes for the other 5 dolls on my list. Lol. I want to get all of the main characters as dolls.. And make 'em all famous! :'D

I do actually use then for inspiration. Not only for writing. But for getting me into other hobbies. Once my sister FINALLY gets me the camera I want. I will definitely be experimenting with photography A LOT! I really like taking pics of her with my friends camera! It was awesome. And I'd like to get more into that. And yeah.

I think I'm an artist person, with various reasons for liking dolls. XD

I don't really know. Maybe it was the whole Anime/Manga thing when I first liked them. As I was 16 and very much into that. But I don't watch as much anime as I used to. Or read as much manga. I really have no idea. Lol. I just really love them. XD

I don't think Citlali interferes with my artwork at all. She's a very quiet bee at the moment. Lol. I'm usually doing nothing or working. So I get to writing whenever I feel like. It has nothing to do with her really. If anything, sometimes she gets me motivated to right! <3

Not at the moment. I really haven't gotten into anything hardcore yet. I'm trying to find a cheap head i can practice face-ups on. But I really think I would enjoy that and become good at it. I also REALLY wanna get into photographing my girl. Which I don't feel like doing much. Until I get a better camera. So yeah. But i don't think my focus will COMPLETELY turn in some other directions. Writing is what I do!

I think they are! Citlali inspires me to do many things. And not only her, but other dolls. Whether it be thinking of a face-up for them that I haven't see anywhere. Or a character. Or even a whole other story. Not only that, but I think the way you customize your doll can really show how creative you are. And she helps me write. I don't think she can make me a better writer.. But she helps me move along. XD

I think there are a lot of artist that have BJDs in some way. Whether it be with writing, photography, art, sewing. That's all very artistic. But I'm sure there are just as many with not artistic drive at all, as well.

I can't really say. There are probably more anime artist out there. But I'm sure there is a very assorted range of ever artist when it comes to BJDs. And many people with multiply artistic talents as well!

Ummm.. I don't think so. Unless you have more questions. XD

10. Are you an artist of some kind? What kind? And what draws you to BJDs?
      Yes. I draw and paint, and I'm currently attending CCAD to major in illustration.

If I have to justify it to my parents or to other people that don't understand the point of owning a doll.

They do inspire me a lot. I usually doodle my dolls, some outfit or clothing or faceup ideas for them.

Being an artist definitely has an influence on my owning dolls. I love to customize and create something completely different than what most people do with a sculpt. If I didn't have any talent in doing my own customizations then I wouldn't be as happy with my dolls.

I hate anime.

Oh, no. If I want to create art everything gets tossed aside. Everything.

Oh, I love doing faceups! It's also gotten me into sculpture, too. OH, I forgot, I've learned how to sew, as well as understanding lighting in photography. Which I find to help my artistic abilities by expanding my horizons.

Like I've said, they've expanded my horizons, they haven't helped with porportions or facial structure because these things are way too stylized, so I wouldn't suggest using them as models unless you want to do a still life.

I find that there's more people that have an interest in the hobby of doing faceups, etc, but don't necessarily have the knowledge of being a real artist; It seems like every hobby that requires you to paint/customize a figure you are collecting.

Anime artists are definitely more attracted into this hobby, at least from my observations.

I would definitely tie the fact that I'm an artist with my BJDs, photographs of certain dolls have inspired my artwork, and things like cute blushed noses and fingers, etc have been appearing in my artwork and on my dolls.

ETA:

While doing a faceup is odd for 2D artists, 3D artists usually do have experience with painting sculptures.

However, being an artist DOES have its advantage when doing faceups. As an artist you should have previous knowledge of brushes, how paint works, the quality of supplies, and an understanding of the materials you work with compared to someone who has no idea what the difference between oils and acrylics. Granted, not all artists are experienced in this, either.

11. Seriously, this times a thousand.

I think that as much as there might be some benefits -- having a favored paint to work with, or a certain level of patience or knowledge of generally how to handle a paintbrush or something similar -- there are just as many pitfalls. What if that type of brush doesn't work? What if that paint just doesn't thin right for resin? It's often easier to learn something from scratch than it is to retrain yourself for a new medium, or new specific techniques, because you have existing habits you need to break.

Probably the best benefit is 'you likely know where the local art supply stores are'. ;)

12. Surreality, I'm going to have to disagree with you on the part of relearning old habits.

You shouldn't relearn how to paint all together, you should add that new technique to your metaphorical artist's belt!

I know that doing faceups has helped me do REAL paintings, it's also helped me paint eyebrows on a flat surface, as well as understanding the contours of a face and what color does to it.

13. Well, I've been painting for about 30 years, since I was pretty small -- there are some habits one must relearn, or at least this has been my experience. Different kinds of painting are done in very different ways; you don't paint the same with oils as you do with acrylics, or watercolor, or on silk, and so on. Every specific medium has quirks you need to learn to work around for the best results. Each time I've picked one of them up, the things I'd learned for others needed to be 'broken' before the new technique could properly be adopted and understood for what it is. What serves you well in watercolor won't save you in spraypaint, and so on.

It could be something as simple as holding a sketchpad at a certain angle -- harder to do with large canvases -- or only working on stable or flat surfaces when now you need to adjust to a moving, three dimensional object like a head. I can see a difference in something I've sketched when I am working at a table, or when I am sitting on a couch with the pad in my lap, what I sketch when I have to hold a sketchbook in one hand in the air and sketch with the other, and so on. These things are partly do to working habits developed over time.

Edit: I think what you're talking about is something a little different -- you seem to be talking about 'seeing' more than specific technical issues. I'm talking about the technical aspects of 'how I hold a pen when I draw on paper' and other physical habits and how that needs to be adjusted for other media, for example, not cross-influences in terms of seeing or understanding how to represent it artistically across different media.

14. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      I could definitely understand if there was. I, being an artist, was very attracted to them because of what could be done to them. They're like a blank canvas waiting for someone to pour life into them with art.

Yes, I suppose. I stick usually with grayscale drawing media, but I branch into painting. I love the personal expression they offer and how they offer another way for me to show my skills or personal ideas.

Not really. I see them as more of an extension of my personal creativity, but I don't necessarily use them for inspiration. They are more of a result of my inspiration.

No, unless I feel like doing an actual drawing of dolls. I don't use them as models as they are not usually very well proportioned to actual humans.

I'd say so. If I had no interest in art and beauty, I'd probably have no interest in dolls. I like to do things for myself, so hiring someone to customize everything would nix a large portion of my love for these dolls.

I suppose there could be. I have little special interest in anime (I'll watch, but no more than regular TV), and I barely hit up DA, so I couldn't say so from personal experience.

A mixed bag, I'd say. Working on them can get me into an artistic mood, ready for anything, but they can also eat up a lot of my other art time.

Not so much, except for I've tried a little harder at my photography. I already painted and drew, so face-ups didn't change much about that.

Of my creativity and personality. I show my love for different things with different dolls, and their personalities show that.

Oh yes! It would seem that the BJD hobby is also a social circle for many, many artists with different tastes and styles. I think it's a wonderful melting pot of creativity.

Maybe not so much in the landscape artist, but other than that, there is amazing variety in this hobby.

15. It's not that you have to toss out all previous knowledge of painting forever, but you're probably going to be saving that information for other non-doll projects. It's that the techniques that were successful when painting with oils on canvas, or water color on paper, or print making etc are different than painting with acrylic on a doll, which means learning an entirely new set of skills.

Now, there will be some very general things that can transfer over. However, even then, the way I paint on canvas is not how I would paint a doll. Even if someone knows the difference between oils and acrylics, if they aren't familiar with resin dolls, they wouldn't automatically know that oil is a big no no. Someone who hasn't painted a doll before isn't necessarily going to know how much to thin the paint or the technique for doing things like eyebrows. Though, they probably have a better appreciation for good brushes ;)

I've worked with both oils and acrylics, but when it comes to dolls, I'm much more comfortable using dry media, because though you can paint on a canvas and on a doll (though not with oils, obviously) it's really not the same thing at all. I guess what I'm getting at is even with previous artistic experience, when you go to work in a new medium it *is* a bit like starting from scratch--especially since some of the techniques that may have been successful in other areas may actually prove to be a hindrance. So whether you're an artist or not going in, there can be an equally difficult learning curve when it comes to doing something like faceups for the first time.

16. I SO hear you all on adjusting to things like the thinness of paint!

I've worked in acrylics for years before trying a faceup, so I knew that it was something like thinness of the paint that I was having trouble with when lashes or eyebrows were clumpy... but getting the experience to get the paint right and applying it with which brush and at what angle and how... THAT I knew I would have to tinker with for a while. I learn something with every faceup I do, but I know I need to actually have more experience (do more faceups, take the time and practice) to really have any decent skill in it.

I have the basic skills I've brought to it, so I think my faceups don't totally suck, but neither are they as good as they could be--so far.

The thing is... I don't think I have the time to devote to it. I really should be working on other stuff, rather than thinking of getting my skills up to a professional level at faceups!

And... there are all kinds of artistic skills and most people are better at some than others. I'm not sure if faceups are for me, anyway. I just don't have the motivation beyond getting one of my blank head painted sufficiently well so that it's not embarrassing... Whereas I know there are artists out there who have an amazing feel for faceups that I'll never have (whether because of motivation or talent--doesn't matter).

17. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?

Well, definitely for me there's the being able to pose them however I want that helps me, I mean, I have Bob my wooden mannequin but he just doesn't have the poseability, that and Mercutio's much prettier (sorry Bob.)

I'm a multimedia artist, I draw, paint (mostly on the BJDs), do digital art, etc. And I think it's all the creativity I can put into my dolls with little effort really... I love to be creative, with every aspect, fromt heir character to their appearance.

Originally, Yes, because that was the real kill-spot for my grandma, she wanted me to get better, and I offered this as a way that I could have experience in drawing more what I see than what I want. Now, I buy them because I want them.

Both. Mercutio is my favorite to use, though occassionally friends take pictures and I ask if I can doodle something for their doll, most of them say yes.

Yes, I do, actually, because I love to be creative and express that part of me, and my doll is the best way to do that, but I also like him because he's a socialization tool, I can interact with other people and discuss things and go places and do stuff that normally I would not get to do.

Just liking anime/manga doesn't necessarily mean that you will like/love them, I know plenty of my Otaku friends find Mercutio to be "creepy" and dislike him... I think it just varies from person to person, I've actually been on DeviantArt for 5 years and hadn't seen any BJDs until I went looking for them...

It's a yes and no, because sometimes I'll be working on Lesley and Crystal when I should be doing a commission, or I'll be doing a commission when I should be working on Mercutio, it just goes hand in hand, but I always have a lot ofdemands for my time at the same time and then have days with nothing...

Yes, very much, it has helped to bring in how much I love doing the details of face-work without having to do the overall work (oh, how lazy am I), you know, shaping the eyes, nose, mouth, etc., I just do the rest of it. ^^ I still love drawing on paper though...

Yes, because they allow me to take the same character/head/body/face, and change it up in ways that I can't just up and do on my artwork, like change the eye color in just a couple moments, whereas with my artwork, i have to get a whole new piece of paper and redo it all. As far as helping my skills, it does, because having something that I can just look at versus having to think about it can make all the difference in doing something lik eexpressions and perspective.

Hmmm I would think there might be more, but I know that the status of 'Starving Artist' applies to a lot of us, and I know I probably never would have gotten my first if not for my grandma and me having a birthday right when I did... I know there's a lot that would love them, but don't own any...

Most definitely! Landscapers would probably love them, to be sure, but I think fantasy/portrait/anime/comic artists seem to be drawn more to them, but that just might be my opinion, too...

Yes. Being a starving artist and having this hobby?

IT SUCKS.

That is all.

18. Oh, yes, I feel your pain! :D

When I was working full-time on computer games, it was easier to buy dolls. Now that I'm just free-lancing and jobs are pretty slow, I can't manage to buy what I want (lucky for me, I had money for a while and have a number of my beloved dolls from those days!). Now it seems I'm eagerly awaiting payments so that I can buy a few doll things! *sigh*

It's not easy to make a money as an artist. And BJDs require quite a lot! That does seem to make it tough for most artists, even those who are doing pretty well.

19. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?

I like BJDs, they're pretty. I tend to like looking at stuff that gives me a pleasant feeling (easy on the eyes). Also, I like something that contains the 3 Cs: Customize, Change, Create.

I'm not an artist. I'm a drafts person. I like to draw comics. What drew me to BJDs in the beginning is their ability to be "molded" into different characters. One single doll can take on several different characters depending on how their faceups are painted, wig changes, clothes changes, etc.

No and Yes.

No, because a doll is just a doll to me.

Yes, because I found THE perfect sculpt/doll to 3D-fy one of my original characters who I designed 11 years ago.

No. They're not very good models--MAYBE FOR POSE REFERENCE.

I buy them because I like them.

I think I'm just like any non-artist person with various reasons of my own for liking BJDs. I could just be attracted to BJDs because they're something pretty or a "movable statue"...

Because I was raised with shoujo manga (ie: Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, various anime), the aesthetics that BJDs have influence my attraction to them--so in my case, Yes.

It could also be the fact that these dolls bring back pleasant memories of my childhood so I like them.

YES. :lol: There are periods where I completely neglect working on my comic pages and vice versa. Right now as we speak, I'm on so-called "hiatus" from drawing.

Then I'll disappear from BJD-dom for a while so I can work on my drawing endeavors.

Hmmm... It has changed my focus, yes--but not the opposite direction, meaning me getting deeply involved in BJDs (ie: doing faceups, sewing clothes, doing photo stories). When I took on this hobby, I realized that drawing is my Number One passion.

I tried doing faceups--they're fun to do--but heck I don't like inhaling chemicals.

:lol: I don't have any skills and I don't think BJDs helped me improve in any way. They're more of a wonderful distraction when I start getting frustrated with drawing.

I've met several people at doll meets who are very skilled and talented artists and I admire them.

Hmm... I'm thinking a lot of those artists who like to do photography and sculpture as well as draw realism are attracted to BJDs? Also, anime-genre artists are also most likely to be drawn towards BJDs because there's that Asian Aesthetic that's very attractive.

Having artist friends influenced me to branch out into the BJD-collecting hobby. My best friend who is an English doujinshi-ka based in Canada introduced me to doll customization which led me to BJDs.

That's all... ^_^

20. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?

They are works of art in and of themselves. The attraction would be natural.

Video geek and photographer. Having dolls has inspired me to do a documentary on the hobby, hence my userid here. I also do photo manga with my dolls.

It didn't happen by design but that's how things turned out.

Yumiko-tan is my most patient model. She's always willing. And the camera is just 1,000% in love with her. She's a natural. Haven't had Zetto long enough to have a "working relationship" with him...every time I've wanted to go out shooting with the "kids" recently things have gotten in the way, like weather and fires in the hills and resultant smoke and ash. :P

Hmm...not really sure.

Yumiko-tan is designed to be very Anime-like, as it is with the entire Volks Dollfie Dream line. Zetto is an Obitsu so he looks more like a real-world human, but he's got big eyes and hair and eye color that are not entirely proper for an Asian guy, although I see lots of Asian guys who color their hair who have light brown/dirty blonde hair in Japanese fashion photos, and occasionally you see them with colored contacts so bright aqua eyes are not unheard of IRL.

It's a 100% positive because they are getting me back in the groove of being a better photographer.

I never thought I had Fashionista in my blood until my 1/6 scale brood started burgeoning. I have a lot more 1/6 scale dolls but I can't talk about them here, alas, because they fall under the rubric of fashion dolls rather than BJDs. The neat thing about 1/3 scale is that I'm going to be doing a lot of sewing for my biggies. Sewing for little ones is a PITA.

Again, they've provided lots of inspiration.

Yeah, it was an artist who really got me into dolls, actually.

Definitely anything inspired by Asian pop culture dovetails with these dolls. Most definitely an extension of the Otaku nation. And I say that not contemptuously, but with pride. Heck, going to see Ponyo yesterday made me think a tiny would be an interesting addition to my collection. A tiny with a little red dress, white bloomers and a cute fishy face....kawaii....