1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Artists and BJDs

Sep 4, 2009

1. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      Artists have a particular love for beauty, but I think that's it, really.

Are you an artist of some kind? What kind? And what draws you to BJDs?
      I'm a fantasy painter (Hi April, it's Kathleen Lowe!). I used to build Volks "garage kits" back in the 80's when I was a teenager in Okinawa. I fell out of it when I became a broke college student living in the US.

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)?
      Nah, though I briefly entertained selling doll clothes.

Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them?
      I actually used a BJD as a model for the first time this weekend. I haven't done anime style art for twenty years, and had wanted to try my hand at it again. I'll probably do some more of these, if this one sells.

Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs?
      Yes, I think you have to love the big eyes, small mouth look to appreciate most BJD. I assume that most non-Asians learn to love that style through anime/manga. I don't really watch anime or listen to JPop, though I do read some manga.

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag?
      Wah. I wish that I could say that it's all positive, but I have to admit that I spent probably a couple hours today playing with my new dolly head and searching the internet for a better body for an older head (whose body now belongs to the new head). I was supposed to spend all of today painting. On the other hand, if I didn't play with the doll, I probably would've played video games instead working all day; everybody needs some lazy time.

Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)?
      No. ALthough I'm a painter, I've actually had to hire out for faceups, I can't do such fine detail!

Are having BJDs an extension of your creativity in some way? (If so--in what way?) Has it helped your art(or skills) to have them--or not?
      Definitely. I love to sew, and have made doll clothes and people costumes for ages. The 60cm BJDs are such a nice big size to sew for! I suppose it hasn't particularly helped my skills, but my dolls are definitely an outlet for creativity.

Does it seem to you that there are a lot of artist BJD owners? Or do you think it's just average? Or even fewer artists than you would expect?
      I think an awful lot of artists collect dolls, but I imagine that most contemporary style artists probably don't realise BJDs exist. You don't see them in doll stores, and only recently in doll magazines. I can't remember when I first saw/fell in love with BJDs, but I know that you and Nene and another couple artists on my F-list influenced me to make my first BJD purchase. As I watched you guys' collections grow, I realized that I deserved to spend some money on myself too.

2. Hi there! Although I'm terrible at remembering names, I actually do recognize your user-name! :D

Fantasy artist, Heather Bruton, I think... has some garage kits... loves 3D stuff, anyway... and has a BJD. I've never gotten into the garage kits--too expensive and too much work!

Good luck with that. I haven't done anime style art for a gazillion years. At times I think I should get back into it... but now there are so many people who are just incredible at it... makes me think I should try other stuff... but I do like anime styles, and there seems to be a venue for it, since so many people like it.

Heheh. I'm doing WAY more dolly stuff than painting, which is BAD-BAD-BAD. But as you say... gotta relax and play sometime... can't work ALL the time.

Oh, I'd send out for faceups if I wasn't being terribly cheap these days. There are people out there who are just amazingly good at it, while I'm NOT. ... I often try to get default faceups if possible and if I like them. I've had a few dolls I got just for the sculpts and it takes me years to get around to painting them!

I know some fantasy artists have dolls... but since I happen to know doll folk and fantasy artists, I'm not sure if my experience means something or is just skewed by who I tend to know!

'Makes me nervous when someone says I helped influence them to get dolls, since they are a huge time and money sink! However, I do love 'em and figure that others wouldn't buy them if they didn't love 'em, too... so... not really my fault! (or at least, I hope you all aren't blaming me!) :sweat

I think Nene's not into BJDs any more. I know she sent me her Volks Cyndy a few years ago and Steven told me she'd given some of her dolls to her nieces. Ah, well.

3. First off, thank you for everyone who shared their opinions! Reading this tread is really fascinating! (I should be working... >.>; )

Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists? Absolutely! Not all of us can sculpt, but we can call create. I think they attract artists especially because of the potential they hold. We can design how they look, we can make clothes for them, do custom faceup, make furniture, plan entire dolls in advance and take great pains to order the right parts, and so much more!

I am a self proclaimed artist! I went to Art School for two years before dropping out of that failed establishment. Now I doodle on the side and work full time. Part of my duty at work is to act as a junior Graphic designer. (Photoshop is my one true love).
      I'm drawn to BJD for several reasons. Their beauty and being able to make them representations of my origional characters. They're the extra (and more expencive!) step past drawing them on paper. It's both exciting and satisfying to be able to go that extra bit.

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)?

Yes. The entire reason I buy certain molds/wig/what have you, is because I find them perfect for recreating characters that I've already put down on paper.

Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them?
      I guess in the end they're inspiration, motivation for me ot sew and craft more things to spoil them with!

Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own?

This I pretty much covered in the first question. :)

Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs?

Manga and Anime first introduced me to BJD, since the fandoms tend to overlap, so that connection is undeniable. That said, I tend to go towards the more real looking dolls then the ones with anime eyes for example. This is just a personal preference.
      DA is also a site I'm fairly active on and yes seeing images of them on there has further fureled my love of the dolls.
      Off topic:
      DoA on the other hand has really helped educate me in so many feilds of BJD. Maintaince, brands, stores, everything! I wasn't aware just how much of a NOOB I was until coming here. And I'm still picking up new things daily!

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag?
      Oh yes. unfortunately there's only so many hours in the day! Since getting a BJD less time is spent drawing (and more time at work is spent on here!). This will eventually find a balance!

Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)?
      I think it's still too soon for me to tell. I've always been a craft kind of person, and I would love to try my hand in faceups, but I'm going to wait to order the supplies and possibly a pratice head.

Are having BJDs an extension of your creativity in some way? (If so--in what way?) Has it helped your art(or skills) to have them--or not?
      Well, I'm seeing everything in BJD scale! Mostly 1/4 and 1/3. I'm always looking for potantial in regular every day things to be turned into something for my doll. In that sence, I think it's helped my creativity.
      However, on the flip side, spending so much time making stuff for dolls means I'm spending less time digitally painting, which is bad >:

Does it seem to you that there are a lot of artist BJD owners? Or do you think it's just average? Or even fewer artists than you would expect?
      I think it's to be expected. Artist is such a broad term that I think we can safely say that most people are artists here to a degree. Many play around with making clothes, or faceup, or other things for their dolls. I think BJD encourage such creativity, creating a very large population of BJD owners who are arists in one way or another.

Do you think BJDs attract certain kinds of artists more than others types? (Fantasy artists more than Landscape artists? Or more anime artists than Fine Artists? Or photographers more than painters?)
      I think fantasy, anime and doll collectors are more likly to stumble upon BJD then other types of artists. However, I think it's fair game who gets attracted to them. Few artists are truly specilised in a single genre, and while a landscape artist may only do just that, that doesn't mean it's the only thing they're interested in.

4. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      Artists tend to flock towards artistic things. And beautiful things - and BJDs are, for once, an incorporation of both. They can be a window to the ideas we have, or become some help in giving a character a tad more flesh.
      But all in all - I think that the reasons are pretty much the same for everyone - it's just that artists are more open.
      Art is more of a hobby and a side income - I am an interpreter and a teacher. But as an artist, I'm an illustrator, working mostly in children-aimed field (mostly digital art, pastels, and watercolors). Basically, I just liked their likeliness to life at first (and still do), and interest gradually spread to clothes, then face-ups, then I found a character that would look nice as a doll.
      For me, it's the whole concept and getting it all in harmony what is important.

Not really. I consider BJDs an artwork in itself, so for me, there is no need to look for a different reason. Although I do choose the doll on the basis of "does she fit a character or not", it's mostly connected to the "looking for a reason buy a mold because I just like it, but aren't in love".

No. Maybe just once or twice, when I need to see the basic movements - but that's really rare. I prefer RL people or my imagination for that one.

Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own?
      Art is definitely a reason - but mostly it's because my general love for beautiful things. I do believe that most artists (me included) view this as another interesting extention to their hobby / profession.

Possible, but I cannot place my finger on any exact one.

It can, but it really depends on your own determination and way of life - if you allow things like new hobbies to interfere with your duties, then naturally it will lead to a distatorous result. If you stay focused, it will not.
      I have to add that I have heard of people that experienced art block because of BJDs, but I do believe that the dolls were just the final drop in the sea of reasons and circumstances.

Yes, it did. I began to design clothes and add more detail to the artwork. At the time when I bought my first doll I was also finishing a life drawing class, so my focus was also shifting theme-wise.
      Naturally, faceups are an art in themselves, and I consider getting a head just for that very reason - not for practice, but for creating new things - because I feel sorry for my two dolls.

Faceups, clothing, photography, story-telling... I had to recall everything I have learned about perspective, compositing, lighting, etc., so I can definitely say that they helped me return to the basics and improve a bit more.

It does seem that artists make up a considerable percent of the group. BJDs are a highly creative hobby, so no wonder it attracts them.

Do you think BJDs attract certain kinds of artists more than others types? (Fantasy artists more than Landscape artists? Or more anime artists than Fine Artists? Or photographers more than painters?)
      I think this requires a sociological study, so I would not be making any comments on this.

5. Hey April, very nice artwork. I think we're pretty similar in the reasons why we like BJDs. I've also drawn all of my life, and it would be cool one day if I could work for Blizzard Entertainment XD How do you get to work with gaming design companies? Do you have to go to school specifically for that? I'm in college in industrial design at the moment...is portfolio > education? My DeviantART is in my signature--let me know what you think.

Thanks, April!

6. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?

Yeah, I think there is because of the amount of customization available as well as the photography aspect. I got into dolls in general because it was a way for me to get more into photography.

Right now I do UI/ideation work for smaller casual games, but I've had training as an illustrator/designer and work in digital mediums. Mainly draw in an anime style for my own stuff but I can switch to realism as necessary - I've avoided the concept art route it because I dislike the idea of creating other people's dreams and not my own. I like BJDs because of the craftsmanship first, and then just the idea of having something to sew and photograph around second. Just really attracted to delicate and well crafted (and designed) things in general.

Sort of - the whole idea of sewing and photographing them is the primary reason I've convinced myself that I "need" a couple.

I don't have a BJD yet, but I'll definitely be doing photography - the sewing might come out of necessity due to clothing being more expensive for these dolls than for myself.

Not really - I have no grand plans of faceups or other direct customization nor do I really intend to. It's just so I can play with cameras a bit more in a completely hobbyist manner.

For me, no. I really disliked BJDs for a while before changing my opinion, and I liked anime type art for a long time prior to encountering BJD. Actually, I still hate the ones that look directly out of anime (the droopy eyes and vacant stare) and much prefer more realistic models. Otherwise I tended to avoid them wherever I was.

Haha, the only thing that interferes with my artwork is myself - nothing I will ever own will have that blame. After all, it's always up to me as to what I'm doing at any given moment.

There're more than I expected but it makes a lot of sense, given all the different art options there are related to BJDs.

Can't tell right now, I haven't followed enough links out to portfolios or DAs to form any sort of pattern.

Anything else you might want to discuss regarding artists and BJDs?

This is a great discussion, it's something I've observed but never really sat down to think about. BJDs seem to be an ideal type of canvas for both artists and non-artists because of the personal attachment involved, and the relative forgiving nature of the resin. Most interesting is the need to create characters out of them - I've found that because I can write and draw my own characters whenever and wherever I want that I'm content to let my BJDs be as they are without heavy customization (once I get them anyway). It seems that those who don't have the option of drawing seem to be the ones who're most detailed about their characters, because it's the only way for them to realize their creations. I think it's great really, I wish I knew about it prior to going down the art route for my stories.

7. Wow. Interesting point! This has vaguely occurred to me before, but I wasn't sure if it was true for me or not. But I think it is. I mean, I don't feel I need to muck about with my dolls much. I'll tweak them--dress them as I want, pick the perfect eyes, etc. But I don't need to make them into exact characters. I think I don't need to because I CAN always just create my own ideas in drawings/paintings/whatever that will always be closer to what I want than dolls.

Ver2--I love chatting about art with anyone. I'll leave you a note over on DA so we don't get Off-Topic here. To anyone else who wants to chat Off-Topic, just PM or something like that. :D

8. I'm not so sure about that. For some that might be true, but there are people who put characters from their artwork into doll form or who like to write and roleplay as well as draw and translate those characters into dolls. Whether it's a character that originated from 2D art work or a piece of fiction (I have dolls that fall into both categories), I like to have them in doll format, because I can interact more directly with them--it's also seeing your characters realized in a different way, which can be quite fascinating and inspiring.

9. Oh man it's a small world. I just peeked over at it (because I am nosy) and... one of the images in favorites uses a skin tex I made/sell. :lol: And the world shrinks by an inch, I swear. That's awesome. (It's always so cool to stumble across things like that.)

I seriously envy your digital painting skill. I just -can't- do that. My hand-eye coordination is great -- my screen-eye coordination has been perpetually horrid. :sweat

10. Are you an artist of some kind? What kind? And what draws you to BJDs? I suppose you could call me an artist. I've completely abandoned any career I may have had to dedicate myself to art and art school. I'm mostly a cartoonist/surreal artist, so I try not to take my "art" very seriously. My goal is originality, not to be "skilled" :B Really, at the time what drew me to BJDs was the thought of having some sort of companion and the level of customization involved. It has evolved into something more artistic now, I suppose.

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)? Honestly, not really. I try to keep the basic artwork I do seperate from BJDs. I merely see the BJDs as another medium which I can work with. I do look at the dolls as something to fuel my photography hobby. So that might have a factor in my purchasing decisions...

Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them? The dolls don't resemble my characters/drawings much, even though I've based them off certain characters. But, they do inspire me to use them as models for photography. I wouldn't use "the art thing" as a rationalization to buy them. I don't think I need a "rationalization" to buy them They are one of the few things in life that brings me any sort of contentment, and because I could pretty much keel over any day now, I think I have the right to buy myself a doll without having some excuse.

Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own? Yes, I do. Most people involved in this hobby are creative in some way. Very artisic bunch, we are. It's just how we bring our dolls to life. I don't think you can be a part of this hobby and NOT be an artist. Which brings me to say, I must disagree with the term "Non-artist". I'm very much against this supposed elitism in the art world. It's my opinion that every one of us is an artist. Some are just more dedicated and immersed in the world of creativity, and so have developed certain skills in different mediums. But, that's my opinion.

Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs? Personally, the only relation I see is that Anime/Manga is part of Asian culture and the dolls are part of Asian culture as well. So, people in the know about Anime, etc. are likely to find out about BJDs eventually, and vise versa. I like Anime/Manga art. But, I've grown away from that style, so it really has nothing to do with me and my dolls.

Actually, yeah I do. It cuts into my other forms of expression and is a big distraction for me. I definitly would say that it isn't all positive because I see it as a bit superficial and a way for me to end up spending money I should be saving for other things. But, BJDs have done a lot to imrove my life/attitude, so it's not a huge problem.

Oh yes, it's opened a lot of new doors for me. I've discovered that I love painting them and I'm also a lot more focused on improving my photography skills. They've really helped me with my composition and also helped me developed my drawing a little (I don't really know how the latter happened. The way I draw people's features has changed a bit, since I got into dolls...)

Perhaps, but not really. There may be a lot of anime artists here, but whose to say an anime artist can't be a fine artist as well? I see all types of artists in the BJD world. It makes me proud to be a part of this hobby.

11. Yep, that's how I basically feel. The dolls I'm planning to get are going to be based on characters I've already made, but as long as I'm in the general ballpark of how they look I'm not going to stress about being too precise.

Right, that makes complete sense. I guess I was referring more to making sure that specific markings are in place, exact costuming, etc. e.g., if a character has a specific tattoo, I'd rather forgo placing it on the doll in case I ever feel like switching the character up on the same doll. :sweat I hope that makes sense - as long as the doll is loosely based upon a character, I'm already satisfied with it.

12. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      I do think so, evidenced by the large number of highly creative people on the board, be they artists, writers, musicians, I find most of the people here have some form of creative outlet that is at least partially fulfilled, or expanded, by owning dolls.

The dolls I own came from my role playing, which for me is creating an interractive story in collaboration with others. I find it very creative and the dolls have enriched that. Beyond that though I am a tailor and creating clothing for them is a great though tiring outlet for me, I also used to paint near constantly, and now I chanell that into faceups, tattoos and mods.

Oh I don't need to rationalise buying them, I get them because I want them. Now it is easier as the sewing they enable me to do pays for the new ones to arrive, so yes, I use them but that has nothing to do with rationalisation, simply a bonus if you will

oh I think I love them because I love them, and would still love them if I was not an artist. As I said compared tot he general population there is a high percentage of visable and admitted artists in this hobby, however there are still a lot of dolls whose owners love them just for being them, no art involved on the side of the owner.

Nope, none of those. The closest crossover for me is roleplaying, but then I based my dolls on my RP characters. I do not specifically think that this is a relationship, I think it is just the choice I made, some people base theirs on real people, movie characters, cartoons, anime, what have you, mine happen to be characters who originated in an RP format.

Oh I am sure they can. I hardly paint any more, but there are many reasons for that. I know some people however who have a significant change in focus after having BJD, I do not think this is a bad thing however, there is no "should" about how they express their art. If it is a career oriented "should" then I can tell you I have made a lot more of a career out of my BJD obsession than I ever did out of painting and sculpting in a more traditional medium

Changed my focus? no, given me a new focus after I sort of dried up in one old one? yes, that it has

um...I think I already answered that

I think the average in this community is higher than in the general population, but the general population includes everyone, and this is a rather creative hobby so is likely to draw creative types

nope, not at all, I think it is the creativity and passion that is the deciding factor, not the artform of the BJD fanatic.

I do have a slight difficulty in this topic, between the concepts of art versus creativity. You can be someone who would never consider themself an artist, yet spends hours doodling, or writing, or anything else for yourself, a creative outlet. So do you count as an artist in the BJD world? Does the success or lack threof define whether or not you are an artist? if you are creative, but lack talent are you an artist? it gets very difficult and greay, so while I think the artist question is relevent, I think it a far more interesting and telling question to address how BJD function as an expression of creativity for the BJD owner.

13. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      'Artists' is such a broad term: I think everyone has a bit of 'artist' inside, and maybe this is also the part of us that is attracted to dolls.

I'm an artist, period. It's not a hobby, or a career: it's a lifetime vocation; I couldn't stop doing it, even if I tried.

One of my core interests, in my art, is manufactured goods and especially toys, as well as consumerist culture and the concept of 'luxury'; additionally, I have always been fascinated with idealized human forms, as well as the structure and anatomy of human figures and the discipline of working with figures in academic style. ABJD is darned close to a 'perfect storm' that combines all of these interests.

My advisors in grad school often mentioned they felt my 'answer' lay somewhere in sculpture, despite my natural inclination towards drawing and painting...maybe I will find it with the dolls.

My dolls are as much a part of my arts practice as my materials and tools. DH isn't entirely convinced, however :(

I have made many artworks depicting my dolls; unlike a lot of people who make doll-art, I don't try to depict my dolls as 'characters' - I draw them as dolls and take great delight in detailing every aspect of their doll-ness as acurately as possible.

Everything I do has to do with being an artist, it's not like it's a part of me I can shut in a box or switch off when it's inconvenient or unecessary.

I suppose there is some relation, but I think it has more to do with how people first become aware of the dolls, rather than some intrinsic formal link. Although many ABJD share similar features to some types of anime characters, that may be more to do with the visual culture of their country of origin (not one derived from the other so much as sharing a common source).

I think the dolls have a special attraction for people who sew or do fiber arts - I am hazarding a guess that about six times as many people 'into' ABJD sew, knit, or crochet with some skill or have a desire to learn, compared to the 'general population' (would be an interesting topic for a poll...wonder if it's been done here?)

They're not separate in my mind, so it's really a complete non-issue.

Not really - my techniques are extremely diverse, so I was more picking up old skills from a different angle.

However...BJD was a fantastic excuse to buy those nommy boxes of Sennlier, Schminke, and Rembrandt pastels I'd always kinda wanted, but never had a good reason to invest in! ::has serios art-supply fetish::

They're a fascinating subject - what I find particularly interesting is -because they are conceived to be customized, the 'invisible wall' between artist and audience is permeable.

I'm the only artist of my exact 'type' I've encountered (yet)...sort of in the (oxymoronic) 'traditional avant-garde', the kind of artist that exhibits in not-for-proft galleries and applies for government grants, very non-commercial...that sort of artist seems to be very rare in ABJD, and the general mileu of doll collectors seems antagonistic to the values of 'modern' :roll: art.

But there are a lot of people in ABJD who practice art on an individual level...just not so many who are sticking themselves out on the bleeding edge, or cracking 'serios' theoretical texts, grappling for meaning and relevance in contemporary culture...
      or, if they are, they're keeping vewy, vewy quiet about it :aninja:

I think BJD draws in fewer professional artists than many people think - they're too busy trying to scrape by a living to invest in an expensive and time-consuming hobby! Of those professionals that are involved, it seems the huge majority are not visual artists, but writiers, musicians or dancers, checking up on their visual side.

I think they are also very attractive for people who aren't artists, but want to be, but for one reason or other have been thwarted. I think 'wannabe' artists are wonderful - I'm always thrilled to see people participating creatively in the world around them, instead of passively taking whatever is offered in culture. Anything worth doing well, is also worth taking the risk of doing poorly!

I think dolls have a special attraction for photographers, they are wonderful subjects for perfecting technical details of lighting and pictorial composition. I am hoping to see more photographs following the styles of the photographers I love, tho': Robert Frank, Gary Winogrand, Cindy Sherman, Jeff Wall...
      the only one I've seen to catch that particular vibe is Cirqumom, but-
      hay! a Tibby kin dream...

nah...too bizzy
      tibbiez must go maek artz nao!

14. Well, I purposely tried to veer away from the whole "what is an artist" issue. I left it open--to those who identified with the term AND to those who did not, and kept away from any judgment calls or limited terminology. I think this just isn't the place for discussing those issues!

On the other hand, I was personally curious about what people thought about being an artist (or not) and the relationship with BJDs, so I posed the questions and put up the topic.

Someone else is free to talk about Creativity and BJDs. I think it's pretty obvious, myself, that a HUGE amount of creativity is involved with ALL owners. Even choosing a particular doll is a form of expression, even if the owner keeps it in the default outfit and wig and faceup!

Personally, "Artist" and "Art" and what it is and isn't is a problem for me, and I make my living by my "art." I identify mostly as an Illustrator, since that's what I do professionally. The whole "art" thing is just way too full of baggage. However... it is also the most obvious catch-all term for a more general discussion topic than my listing various specific occupations.

Very true. To have a professional career means that very little can come between the person and that one goal. The people I know, anyway, are extremely dedicated, and must be that way to do what they do.

On the other hand, all work and no play doesn't work for many folk, professionals included, so there are a few with the discipline to allot some time and money to play (and perhaps, bjds).

15. I see what you're talking about now. I tend to go ahead and make my dolls look as close to their characters as possible, but then mine don't change who they are--Frank is always Frank, Cait is always Cait and so on. The thing that tends to make me put off doing specific things sometimes is if it's something I'm not as good at--I'm not great at scars, which is the main reason Wren still doesn't have his--and sometimes I'm just slow to get things done, lol.

16. Most of the professional artists I know -especially in my region- live pretty well hand-to-mouth and well below the poverty line. A lot live 'on the land', in situations where something like a BJD would be more than just a 'luxury' but a unnecessary drag on resources that could put their whole lifestyle in jeopardy (ironically, many of these artists also work with some of the most valuable materials on earth, lol!). I totally respect their choices and treasure the art they produce, but it's not my path and I think it would be foolhardy to try to be that kind of artist. Though it often seems very appealing -from the outside looking in- there are compromises involved that I find myself unable to make.

17. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?

I'm not sure, there are enough people with bjd's that arent artists but just people that enjoy art/pretty things themselfs. And as far as I know I'm the only one in school with a bjd and I'm in a pretty big artschool.

I'm an art-student, I draw, paint, sculpt, photograph. I think I'm drawn to them becous I love human representations, stateus, paintings, photo's, I really like it when there are woman in them XD I only have female bjd's to. I like the way they are sculpted and that you can customize them to be a little person you've created.

I just want to have them and cherish them. I do use them as inspiration and paint them now and then, but that hastn been the reason to buy them in the first place.

yes, but not to rationalize buying them. I can buy whatever I want just becous I think its pretty. I think that's reason enough.

No

No

No

I do like doing face-ups, and it has increased my sewing skills imensly, I now even started to make clothes for myself. But my mainfocus in art is still the same and hastn changed.

No, it has helped increase my sewing skills.

There are a lot, but I'm not sure how many of them are profesional artists and how many are just hobby artists.

yes probaly, but I've never researched it so I'm not sure.

no

19. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      Hm... not to sure about this one, maybe so~ :sweat
      To each their own really~♥

I'm a design student, but I draw a lot in my spare time, both with pens, pencil, computer programs and a mix of all 3. I don't really know what appeals to me about BJDs though, I just like pretty things >w<

Hahahah~ I never thought of it that way, though I could maybe use it as an excuse to get my dad to help me to save, ne?

Hm... I don't own one yet xD But I did that...sorta, with my little sisters Barbies, and my Little apple dolls. So I'd imagine I'd end up doing the same with BJDs too~

Ah~ To each their own again, I don't know if my being an artist infuluences it, and I wouldn't notice even if it did.

Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs? The anime and manga thing, maybe so~ since alot of my faves tend to be in that sort of style. As for being a member of DA, I learned of them through there, so Yes, it introduced me to them so it must have an effect >w<

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag? Ehh~ A bit of both really, BJS could both help and hinder your work.
      I've found them to be a source of inspiration at times, as when I'm struggling to think of an outfit or hairstyle for a pic, though with me and my procrastination, they could be distracting too.

I don't own any dolls yet, but faceups seem like the worst part ;_; I hate painting, though we'll see if my opinion changes when I actually get one....

Ehh~ As befor, I don't own one, but they're a good source of inspiration, in my opinion. :)

I'd say about average, everyone has varying levels of skill.
      But there are some great artists here~

Hmmm~ I think maybe, people who like anime/manga style may be more attracted? It's all a matter of tastes, though :3

Nothing much, thank you~

I hope you could find something in that rambling mess that even seemed like it made sense... I'm a little tired >.>

20. im an artist (not profesional.. just a hobby)
      and bjds apear to me becaues THEY ROCK AND ROLL
      and their really beautiful
      i like customizing things
      they work great as models
      their photogenic
      their all unique
      their realistic