1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Artists and BJDs

Sep 4, 2009

1. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists? Well, I don't think you have to be an artist to enjoy them. However, I think they do tend to draw artists because they are so customizable, versatile and beautiful.

Are you an artist of some kind? What kind? And what draws you to BJDs?
      I am an illustrator, author and fashion designer. I love BJDs because they are wonderful models for my designs, they have gorgeous faces and bodies, and are very versatile in their looks. Other dolls I've had in the past only looked good in certain styles of clothing/hair, but these look good in everything! And, quite honestly, I'm just drawn to them because they are pretty ^-^

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)? Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them?
      I really do use them as models, and they are very inspiring to me - I design clothes for them, write stories about them, do illustrations of them. So I'm not just using my art as a rationalization to buy them, although it does help ;)

Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own?
      I have many reasons that I love BJDs, being an artist has something to do with it for sure, but even if I were not an artist I would still like them!

Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs?
      I didn't really start getting into the anime/manga thing until I got my dolls! But I do love the style, and my favorite dolls are Luts/CP, which do have a slightly anime-ish look to them.

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag?
      Umm, some days I do spend a lot of time playing with my dolls when I should be drawing or writing. But on the whole, I think I have a good balance going. When I start to burn out on drawing or writing, I can sew and play with my dolls. And after a day or two, I'm ready to go back to focusing on my work :D

Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)?
      I wouldn't say it has changed my focus, I still love drawing the best! But I have developed my sewing skills quite a bit more because of my dolls. I was sewing a little before I got them, but never seemed to find a model that really inspired me until I got my BJDs. As a result, I sew a lot more, have been learning new techniques, etc.

Are having BJDs an extension of your creativity in some way? (If so--in what way?) Has it helped your art(or skills) to have them--or not?
      Yes, they are inspiring, and have helped me improve my sewing skills, as I said before. Also, it's wonderful to see my designs as actual clothes and not just as illustrations. ^-^

Does it seem to you that there are a lot of artist BJD owners? Or do you think it's just average? Or even fewer artists than you would expect?
      It seems like quite a few BJD owners are artists of some kind, whether they are professional, or just doing it as a hobby. Either way, I think it's wonderful!

Do you think that artists have extra advantages in being a BJD owner?
      Sure, if you can make your own clothes or do your own faceups you can save a lot of money compared to owners who can't. Plus, if you are good enough to sell the things you make/do, you could even make a bit of money while you're "playing". You can't beat that! But that doesn't mean people who aren't artists don't enjoy their dollies just as much.

Anything else you might want to discuss regarding artists and BJDs?
      I want to point out that when I talk about someone being an artist, I don't always mean that they are professional. I merely mean someone who is creative and acts on their creativity to create something unique. It doesn't matter if they've had training or if they get paid for it. The important thing is that they come up with an original idea and put their thoughts into action of some kind. In that way, I'd say just about everyone on here is an artist in a way :fangirl:

2. Yes, artist means anyone who is creative and wishes to identify as an artist of some kind! Whether someone is professional or not is just a subset of that category... and really, I've always had a hard time determining exactly what "professional" means! Is it skill level (and how does one determine that???)??? Or making some money? Or one's entire income? Or exactly how much of the income? It's impossible to figure out, really.

Anyway, back to topic... I think that BJDs definitely bring out the artistic side in just about everyone! And it is very impressive how creative everyone is! :D

3. From my understanding (I had this explained to me once), a 'professional', is someone who is trained/capable and is being paid to do it. An amateur is typically someone who is trained/capable and isn't being paid. A novice is usually untrained/incapable in some way and isn't paid for it, typically, as far as it's been explained to me. *shrugs*

4. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?

Absolutely - at least as an artist you have a great excuse to buy one. The favorite being that the dolls are much more attractive than the usual artist manaquin.

I love to paint, sketch, collage, scrapbook, crochet, knit, decorate and sculpt. Interestingly the dolls allows me to combine a lot of these creative methods in to one project!

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)? Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them?

Art - as in using the doll as a creative outlet is definately the reason why I am in this hobby. I don't use them as models but I do use them to keep myself artistically involved when my other outlets are giving me art blocks.

Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs?

I think loving the anime/manga art style has definately attributed to my admiration of how the dolls look I did not get involved in the hobby because I happen to like anime. I first learned about the dolls through Aimee's web page - the dolls weren't well known back then and certainly weren't in DeviantArt. Strangely Den of Angels and sometimes in AIM are the only places I discuss BJD.

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag?

I think having BJD interferes with my finances - but it helps saves my art. Like I mentioned earlier when I am having an art block I can usually always find something doll related to work on until my arting inspiration comes back.

Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)?

I have learned to crochet and knit because of these dolls! Now I crochet and knit for myself and my friends. I am obsessed with yarn.

Does it seem to you that there are a lot of artist BJD owners? Or do you think it's just average? Or even fewer artists than you would expect?

I think th ehobby is predominantly filled with artists. Some people become artists through the hobby. It's beautiful.

They might have the advantage if they were seeking to run a little doll related business like painting doll faces, making doll clothes or creating doll jewelry or even making doll website layouts.

I have noticed that through these dolls many people discover they have a creative side they never knew existed. Many people believe they aren't artists or even creative but they are learning through these dolls that they are more talented than even they knew.

5. Without cranking through every question, I don't consider myself an "artist" since I have other non-art careers, although I have done art on my own and also studied art in a night school program for a few years. I agree with the preceding statement that the BJD hobby "is predominantly filled with artists." I think that's a very natural thing to have occur, given the amount of creativity that goes into these dolls including sculpture, painting, fabric art, and photography - it pretty much runs the gamut of all the popular art forms. While this results in some truly lovely work, it also causes a bit of a communications gap and/or diverging priorities when people who are not primarily artists get involved in the hobby and have to deal with a lot of artists. Artists have their own way of thinking about things and approaching a hobby, that is not necessarily the way that someone who isn't so interested in arts goes about it. It's not a bad thing but it is something you have to be aware of, particularly when it involves "hot-button" issues like copying work, or the quality of someone's work.

6. Are you an artist of some kind? What kind? And what draws you to BJDs?

While I wouldn't call myself an artist, I would say I'm artistic. I dabble in art: pencil and ink drawings, crafting and such. I've done more landscaping and animal art than human, but I'm a fan of the manga and big eye fairy styles. I think what drew me back after my initial exposure to BJDs was the knowledge that I could try my hand at faceup work - and can redo it if I want!

As I mentioned, I'm a fan of manga style, although I don't follow any anime or manga shows/comics. I also like fantasy and play or have played online MMOs like DDO, WoW, EQ2, and Second Life (where you can actually be whatever you want to be). My family attends DragonCon every year, which I suppose is the crossover with BJDs. My Mei, when I get her, will be a fantasy elf patterned after an rp character of mine. This past con I got interested in steampunk and would like to eventually have a steampunk doll.

I hope so! I'd love to do faceups, tattooes, etc! What a great outlet for my creative nature! I'd also like to get back into sewing.

While artists might be attracted to BJDs, I think that these beauties lend themselves to bring out the creativity in anyone. Whether you can paint the Mona Lisa or can't draw a straight line, BJDs can help you find areas of creativity and artist expression you may not have previously known you had.

7. Hmm.. It's difficult, but I usually call someone an artist when they are able to look at their work from a distant and dare to ask what's good about it and what needs improvement, instead of only wanting to hear compliments. Also, someone who has professional know-how (knows the rules of their trade) and can explain why they make the artistic choices they make.
      Sometimes it means an amateur is an artist in my book, whereas a professional might not be, or a beginner more professional than someone who's been painting for the last 70 years. Having the skills does not automatically make you an artist.

8. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists? I think the ability to customize almost every aspect of a BJD is a huge attraction. I know that's what I like about them. Even just changing the wig or eyes is a way to make them unique.

I'm more into 2D art- drawing, painting, that kind of thing. So BJDs have been sort of an extension of that. I love doing faceups.

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)? Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them? Well... I did use that to convince my parents, but (sneaky me) got a doll that doesn't even work for my style of drawing lol I tend to draw more realistically proportioned people, and then went and bought first a yo-sd (sold her...) and then a puki. But if I ever get a MNF like I'm working on getting, I will definitely use her to model poses for drawing.

Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own? I think it did. Again, its all about customizing them and making them your own.

Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs? The only way anime/manga influenced me was through Chobits and Angelic Layer. Angelic Layer was the first manga series I read, and I LOVED the idea of having a doll like that. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. DA is where I first saw BJDs though.

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag? I don't think it interferes so much as it's just put my focus on different media.

Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)? YES. Little did I know I was picking up more than one hobby with BJDs. I've now started sewing, taking pictures (I wasn't a photographer at all before. It was always just something that anyone could do) and now faceups, plus the actual collecting.

This is an interesting discussion topic :)

9. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      Absolutely. That's the main reason I love BJD's, because all of my artsy hobbies can be centralized into ONE thing. :)

I draw/paint, sew, do photography, make wigs/synthetic dreadlocks, make chainmaille/jewelry... yeah. I do a lot. And it all pertains to my dolls in some way. Again, the attraction to BJD's for me is that I can focus all my hobbies onto them.

I absolutely use them as inspiration. They make great drawing models, as well as good ways to design and elaborate on characters. They also make good little fashion models/photography models and they do just want I want them to without a fuss. ;)

Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own?
      Yeah slightly. Especially because, as an artist, I can really appreciate the amount of skill that goes into making the sculpts and I highly respect doll makers and I enjoy owning my own little piece of customizable art.

Hmm... not really. I'm not really fond of most anime anymore and I actually prefer to make my dolls more realistic than 'anime-ish'. I won't even buy a Dollfie Dream because they seem to me like I can't be as creative with them because they are entirely based off of anime. I can't explain it that well. XD

Nope, because they let me focus on all of my talents at once. :)

Well, I haven't had the chance to try face-ups yet but I'm waiting on a head for practice purposes. So yeah, I'm sure my dolls will do a lot in terms of teaching me/advancing my art skills.

Are having BJDs an extension of your creativity in some way? (If so--in what way?) Has it helped your art(or skills) to have them--or not?
      Yes. As stated in my other answers. They totally help me with my art.

I guess so. Though I think every artist should have one either way. ;)

Yes to an extent. In my case, I don't have to shell out so much money on clothing, etc. because I can make it all myself for much cheaper. Also, if I can get going with face-ups, it's much cheaper than sending my head out (to someone I may or may not trust) and paying for that, plus shipping. I also get to have my doll EXACTLY the way I see it in my head.

Umm... nope! Not really! X3

10. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      Yes I do. Totally. The dolls are elegant, and so customizable, it's amazing.
      Yes yes. I draw, paint, sculpt, um... I've started seriously learning about photography, actually, because of my dolls. They've also inspired me to sew and design clothes a lot more than I used to.

XD That's how I rationalized my very first doll to my parents "I'll take pictures of him, and use him as a drawing reference, blah blah blah." As of now, I've taken a LOT of pictures, most of them terrible, and have used.... one doll, once, for drawing reference. XD

The artistic side of my brain was definately what drew me to them in the first place, although I've always had a love for dolls - any dolls- ever since I was young.

Not manga/anime, really. I've never really liked Anime at all, and only a little bit of manga (ie the art style, not the stories. bleh.) I think deviantART was the first place I ever saw a BJD, though.

Nooooo.... yes. Maybe. >_>

Yes! I've started seriously studying photography, and have started sewing hot and heavy since I bought my dolls.

Yes....?

Hmmm... I don't know. I don't really pay attention. D:

I think we tend to have an eye for colour, and therefore good at pulling together the look we want. And photography comes more natural, I suppose. I wouldn't know. It's also helpful that artists can make their own clothes or do their own faceups, which saves money? ya.... :d

Nnnnooo.... I don't think it's becuase I'm an artist that I can get caught up in playing with my dollies all day. Maybe some little girl part of me? Hmmmm...

11. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      As an artist myself, and knowing many artists, I'd say yes. There's just something about them that is 'artsy', for the lack of a better word. I think it's how customisable they are.

Are you an artist of some kind? What kind? And what draws you to BJDs? I'm currently an animator in training, I also do illustrations and I do alot of work as a seamstress. So to me BJDs are great drawing subjects/references and I can make clothing for them. two birds one stone.

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)? Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them? right now I'm using art to prove that I really want my doll by drawing her alot. Since I don't have her yet, I can't tell if I'll continue actually drawing her, but I'll definately be making clothing for her.

Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own? I think that for me being an artist relates alot to my love of BJDs. I don't think I'd be willing to invest that much money in a doll if it wasn't that I want to make clothing for her and draw her.

I think there was. I'm not into mangas/animes anymore, but I was when I found out about BJDs. Honestly at first I loved them because I thought they were a hardcore part of the fandom. Now of course I see them as alot more.

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag? Oh the month that I'll get my doll is going to be the month that I'll almost fail college because I won't be doing my homework. But I still want her really bad xD

Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)? Can't really asnwer this yet since I don't have my doll yet, but I do plan on experimenting with faceups and body blushing. especialy body blushing.

Are having BJDs an extension of your creativity in some way? (If so--in what way?) Has it helped your art(or skills) to have them--or not? I hope she will! Since that's my excuse for getting her ;)

Does it seem to you that there are a lot of artist BJD owners? Or do you think it's just average? Or even fewer artists than you would expect? I was actually surprised by the number of artists at first, but I'm discovering that really it's about an equal mix of artists and non-artists.

Do you think that artists have extra advantages in being a BJD owner? I don't think so. Everyone can own a BJD and be happy with it, artist or not.

I think you're covered most of what I could think of ^_^

12. You know, I was just thinking that it seems like artists are always attracted to things that are strange or unusual, especially if they also happen to be beautiful. Maybe that's why they're so many artistic people who like BJDs. I've always been the type to draw and such, and now I'm focusing on computer generated art (3-D modeling especially), so when I first saw these dolls I was intrigued by their strange beauty. Now I just want lots of them lol.

13. Wow, simply too many questions to answer seperately...

I am an artist, trained in graphic & fine arts, photography & writing & find the BJDs a wonderful venue for expression of my creative side. While I don't use them as drawing models, they inspire my love of clothing & jewelry design & are much more cooperative than real people when it comes around to standing around nekkid for fittings. Plus, they're available at 2am for fittings. And are ideal subjects for inspiring stories & various scenerios.

I don't use my artwork as a reason for buying BJDs. I buy them for their own artistic expression of another sculptor's work. I do think that being an artist or even someone with an appreciation of art can draw a person to BJDs. Some of them come closer to fine art than a standard doll & the customization aspect draws in creative people as they can make the doll into a personal vision.

They don't interfere with my artwork as for years that has taken the form of fashion design rather than drawing or painting & these dolls inspire me to take risks that wouldn't work on other dolls.

I do think that being an artist has drawn me to dolls in general. I started out with antique dolls eons ago with an appreciation of the beauty that went into simple children's toys back then. And then I was attracked to artist dolls as they had great expression & emotion. Fashion dolls became an outlet for my designs but the really unusual designs didn't work so well on those. When I finally got into BJDs, I found a greater freedom to design fantasy pieces as well as runway & historical designs.

It does seem that many artistic people are drawn to BJDs but I've found that to be basically true in the doll world at large. Whether or not a collector is creating anything for their dolls, a certain appreciation of sculpture & design seems an integral part of collecting as does a great deal of curiousity & a desire to learn.

For me at least, an interest in anime/manga had nothing to do with my desire for BJDs. The little I'd seen of those art forms weren't things I found attractive. It wasn't until BJD companies started moving away from the anime styled dolls that I became interested in them though over the years I've found that I've become interested in the more stylised dolls as well as the realistic ones but still don't find the early, almost pure anime dolls attractive.

14. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      Yes I do because it is another creative out let.

I'm a teddy bear artist, although I also do many other things.

the first thing that drew me to bjds was that it offered me another way to be creative.

No, I buy bjd because I like them, not because of art. however I do desperately need a body so I can get making the many things I have in mind.

Apart from them being another creative out let, I don't think so. I would still want a bjd even if I wasn;t an artist.

yes I do, I love anime/manga and I can see my love for certain charatures inspiring me greatly.

well I needed a break from bear making anyway, need a new challenge to get my teeth stuck into for awhile, although I plan on making a bear for my doll

well I've gone from making bear to making clothes, I'm still sitting with a needle and thread either way

yes I do, its extended my creative ability into doll things instead of just bear things.

I think there are a lot of artist that are bjd owners, more than I thought there would be.

maybe, because it could be easy for them to do face ups and make things etc

not right now

sorry if my answers seem short or wrong, I'm tired today :(

15. I'm an intensively artistic person who has fortunately been able to make money at pretty much every artistic venue I've tried. But a lifetime of working on large artistic projects can wear a little thin after awhile. I've run out of room, frankly!:sweat I'm tired of spending most of my time creating for others...and my own walls are full, the house is uniquely decorated like a work of art in itself, and after years of hard work, the fantasy gardens are finally completed and growing nicely.

There's no doubt about it, folks, art creates MASS! Eventually you just run out of space. Yet you still have all those same artistic drives...it's in your blood and you just can't stop yourself. I've happily found that ABJDs are perfect for my artistic needs at this point in my life because I can still artistically express myself while keeping the mass of my creativity in bounds. No more huge paintings, big lavish costumes, redecorating and renovating houses and garden construction. All that is done now.:) So my artistry is expressed instead in tiny room vignettes, small decorated trunks, little antique and fantasy outfits and sweet photoshoots in the garden. No more massive novels with endless rewrites and extensive not-so-short stories...just little snippets of prose attached to photos as my dolls tell their own stories. No more big expressive human portraits...instead, artistic faceups that can be changed whenever I wish for a new look. No more squeezing myself and others into hot, bulky costumes...my dolls happily model smaller versions.;)

So to answer this one specific question: Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things)?

The answer is yes, oh yes...happily yes!!! And at this point in my life, I couldn't be more thrilled about that!:lol:

16. Heheh. Yes, the smaller scale and no need to take up more wall space is a good thing about BJDs! I definitely hear you on that.

17. I hope you won't mind, but i'm going to sum up the answers to all those question in just one.
      So, first i must say that when i decided to buy a bjd was mainly because i needed a model for drawing(yes i'm drawing). He helps me a lot at drawing poses and also at human anatomy. Moreover, i used to look at pictures with bjds(and i still find them interesting), and so i fell in love with them and i wished for one too.
      And to end up with, i think that my doll gives me not only help for drawing poses and so on, but it also gives me inspiration by it's expressive face.

18. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists? I believe so. While most of them are very beautiful, their bodies for the most part are wonderously posable. I've been using my Bory as a drawing reference for a while now, he looks much prettier than those wooden artist dolls xD!!

Are you an artist of some kind? What kind? And what draws you to BJDs? Freelancer, art student. :) There's a couple of different directions I'd like to go in but they all feature illustration. What draws me to BJDs are their customization. My kids either started off as original characters or have turned into OCs. Either way they become a part of my fictional family. :)

Do you use your artwork as a reason for buying BJDs (as in: they could be useful as inspiration, models, characters, etc.,)? Do you actually USE them as models, inspiration, etc. --or just use the art thing to rationalize buying them? While they do become characters, I could draw them just as easily without the doll itself. Having a doll takes it to that next level, having that character actually in your hands and bonding on a different level. I often thought to myself before having a BJD that it would have been wonderful to have my characters in actual form. Now here they are.

Do you think being an artist of some kind has any relation at all to your love of BJDs? or--Do you think you're just like any non-artist person with various reasons of your own? I think we are more or the less the same? Most of us have characters, though some of us cannot draw.

Do you think there's a relationship between liking Anime/Manga art and your love of BJDs? Or maybe, being on DA? Or some other art relationship that crosses over with BJDs? Their features suggest that notion, but I'm not so much into anime/manga anymore.

Do you think having BJDs can interfere with your artwork (take up time and focus when you should really be focusing on other things) or is it all positive--or a mixed bag? Freelancing is a job, so I'd be in a lot of trouble if I slacked off!

Has it changed your artistic focus, having BJDs (as in, perhaps you were originally doing something else but then discovered that you liked doing faceups and have found a whole new artistic skill)? Every little skill I learn grows me as an artist 8D It's excellent being able to work on a texile 3D surface, years ago I would have never been able to do that.

Are having BJDs an extension of your creativity in some way? (If so--in what way?) Has it helped your art(or skills) to have them--or not? Yes, as I mentioned earlier dolls make a great human reference when drawing.

Does it seem to you that there are a lot of artist BJD owners? Or do you think it's just average? Or even fewer artists than you would expect? On the forums, yes!

Do you think that artists have extra advantages in being a BJD owner? Some do, some don't. I say this because some artists are more experienced than others. They wouldn't need them as references, the information is already burnt into their grey matter. At the same time one could say that a doll may be their muse, so who knows! Haha, my answer is silly 8D

Anything else you might want to discuss regarding artists and BJDs? Naw, I just woke up and it's breakfast time, sorry dears! ^______^;

19. Owning a BJD can be a great creative outlet for anyone--do you think there's a special attraction for artists?
      Definately. Well let's put it this way, I don't know a single person who'd collect BJD's and ISN'T artistic in some way.

I think I am, yes. I draw, write, sew and knit. I think it's their magical ability to tie ALL my artistical hobbies together.. I can draw them, draw ON them, write stories about them, create characters for them, sew and knit for them.. Everything a girl could ask for and even more.

Nah, not really. I just buy them because of themselves, and for the special something that charms me in them. All other's extra. Sure when I try to explain to someone why I want them, I explain how therapeutic of a hobby it is.

I think it has definately something to do with it. I wouldn't create characters for them, hence wouldn't bond to them so, and so wouldn't really think of them as anything more as pretty objects. Or don't know... At least I think that is quite "artistic feature" of mine.

Well I have an account at DA AND watch anime/read manga so... guess yes. The Anime/Manga thing must be mostly because when you start looking at Asian things, new thing after another pops out you wouldn't notice without it. It opens you up to a whole new world, so to say.
      And yes~ i would love to make a cosplay for my dolls someday.

I think it's quite the opposite. I was in a slump for a long while, untill I got my precious girl, and then started drawing her, got my dusty sewing-machine out and started making clothes for her and knitting for her... I think BJD's can be an inspiration.

I have been drawing a little less, but I've found out I really like to knit.

Don't know really. Guess it's just their ability to bind all together.

I think there's alot of artists among BJD owners, yes. I can't really point out anyone i'd know with a BJD whou wouldn't be artistic, infact.

Absolutely. They'll have better eye for the clothing and faceup of the doll, never mentioning if they happen to know how to do the clothes or props for the doll. Saves alot of money!

Nothing comes to mind.