1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Asking for a doll as a gift: okay or rude?

Oct 9, 2010

1. This is sort of my position on the matter. Now, some people (myself included) have qualms about asking for money instead of gifts. It seems selfish, right? Like you're saying, "I know you wanted to get me something thoughtful and nice, but just in case I hate it, better give me cash instead."

I got over this, however, when I traveled abroad for the first time. I was short of spending money, and my mother suggested that, for my birthday, I ask for money for the trip rather than clothes or books. I did, and most of my family members were happy to oblige. Others who didn't like the idea of giving money bought me things to go with me (luggage, etc). It was really sweet, and I don't regret asking for money. The second time I did this was when I was in the market for a new digital camera. My grandmother had bought my first digital camera (a first generation Kodak Easy-Share) and it was on its way to the electronics afterlife. Rather than tell someone specifically which camera I wanted and expect them to buy it (since the one I wanted was much more than the first had been), I asked for money and told everyone that I was saving up for a new camera and would appreciate the help. After that, I made sure to bring my camera with to the next family event to show everyone what I had bought with their gift money.

tl;dr version- I wouldn't send someone a link to a doll and say "This is what I want for [insert important event here]." I would much rather say "Hey, there's something I'm saving up for, so if you would like to give me some money to put toward this awesome thing I want, I would be so grateful." But that's just me.

2. All I want for Christmas, to be honest, is doll stuff.

3. I dont think it's rude, personaly I think I would never ask for an expensive doll as a gift to anyone but it totally depends on your relashionship with your brother and the situation. As the lovely person he is, of course he would say he is super happy for buying you this doll and you shoulndt worry about the price.

4. Sounds like the key to a happy marriage!

5. If you are close to your brother, he's throwing a lot of money around and has asked you what you want him to get for you, then no that's not rude at all, IMNSHO!!!

I see it kind of like this; If he has the money and is willing to get it for you it's not taking advantage.

If, however, you were acting like one of those entitled wenches who demand say....a 4 carat flawless diamond from their fiance while he's truggling to pay bills, yeah that would be completely rude and uncalled for.

Enjoy your doll gulit-free and make sure to tell your brother how happy he has made you.

6. I wouldnt ask like.. random friends for a doll. But I would ask my family. My bestfriend got me my first doll as a christmas gift and my most recent doll as a birthday gift. But then again, we buy eachother random expensive things all the time so.. xD

7. If the ocassion calls for it and your relationship with the person is very close I don't see the problem in asking. x//D

I bought my friend's first doll as a christmas gift, I believe. That is something I tend to not voice at all because people seem to freak out a little about the price of these dolls in general, It's not that I care about what they think but I rather don't get myself involve in useless arguments. x'D

8. To be honest, it's not rude at all, if you have a good and strong relationship.
      Very close friends/relatives/boyfriend etc, will want nothing more than to make you happy, and if they had the chance, they would do something to realize that. If your close someone wanted something pricey very much, and you had the money, you would probably buy it to make them happy, right?
      Some people even get upset if you don't ask them for help. I've heard of people getting really upset with a friend because they wouldn't ask for help raising money for something they wanted before..so it's even possible to hurt a relationship by being too shy about it!
      At the end of the day, you're only asking. If you're close enough to that person, it's not going to cause a huge argument just for asking! :P They can only say yes or no, there's no need to get so riled up over it ^^

9. I've tried asking and trust me if my mom liked my doll hobby shed probably get me a doll or doll stuff...but I don't ask for doll stuff because every one thinks I'm wierd...

10. Don't worry, here you're in a sanctuary for people who love dolls, you can be yourself with us ^^ I do know how you feel though, it's awkward to mention your dolls in case people give you the shifty look >.<

11. my mom asked what I wanted for Christmas this year and I told her money. She doesn't have any, so the next best thing was doll clothes, or a carrier, or something else for Masato. I don't really need more stuff for me (except new pajama pants. I can always use those) and she is super crafty, so i'm sure she'll make me some wonderful things.

I wouldn't ask my family for a doll because they wouldn't be able to buy me one even if they did pool all their christmas budgets, but I do often ask them for money rather than gifts. Most of them aren't comfortable giving money, but I ask every year. I would really just prefer to have the money so I can buy something I really want, or put it towards my savings for things like Japan and School, and now dolls.

12. I have had two spinal surgeries in the last 2 years. I have family members from overseas who always spend quite a bit to send flowers that never amount to what they actually spent and then they die quickly and on top of that, I have major allergies. LOL...

So this time around, my husband simply asked family that *IF* they were thinking of sending flowers or a 'get-well' gift, then to please consider a doll related purchase - gift certificate or outfit or something to that effect.

My mum-in-law and Nan went together and bought me a doll after my surgery and sent it to me, a doll that I will treasure as Nan passed away not longer after that. The flowers would not be here anymore, but I have that doll forever now. :)

13. My husband and I always exchange dolls for gifts, but then I am privileged that he also collects. This year began our 60cm family. YAY!

14. It totally depends on economy of the person you ask. Personally I could never ask for a doll, not even from my parents. It would be really rude for me to do so. (Mom, can you take 10% of your salary and buy me a doll?)
      I always ask for money for birthdays and such though. My mom asked me; "So whats on your wish list this year?" I smiled. She already knew. "Oh, easy this year again."

15. When I got into the doll hobby, I told myself I wasn't going to ask anyone for a doll. If they wanted to give me something as a birthday or holiday gift, I'd prefer for them to get my clothes or accessories. To me, working hard for something you want is more appealing than asking it as a gift. That's just me, though, and I'm painfully independent. However, in a circumstance such as yours, it didn't hurt to ask. If I knew that one of my family members had extra money laying around, I'd ask, but would respect them; whether it was a yes or a no.

16. I think it depends on who you ask for it. When it is someone who really cares for you, or understand it's something you really love, they often don't mind. I mean...I really wanted the newest Soom MD Pyrol. He was just so gorgeous.
      I hinted I couldn't afford it to my fiance, and he's got me him for christmas. I'm thinking that was technically asking.

17. Ah this made me smile haha. I too think it's all about the situation, person and how you ask, not to mention it also depends on what doll it is. (Puki vs. EID, etc).

My first doll was a gift from my dad, something I asked for straight up. I've wanted a BJD for quite a while and one random day I just came forward with "Dad, I want a $400 doll for my birthday." It was understandably hard to talk him into it, but sooner than later he caved in because I had a somehow "valid" point; every year ever since I'm 9 (turning 19 this year) I've always used my birthday money to give to others. Whether it's charity, christmas gifts for all my family, hosting the Christmas party, etc. I had never really gotten something entirely for myself so in a way, my dad understood my desire to be "selfish" this year and got me the doll. (Not to mention he'd rather have me ask for a doll than a ride !) On top of that, he knows it's not an entirely "vain" purchase, so to speak - I'm into arts and I'll use her to be my model and muse in several aspects, and he's always been very supportive of my hobbies and likes.

I think it just all balances out with your reasons, your relationship with the person and if they're actually able to afford it. Like you mentioned in your edit, sometimes people are entirely thankful you actually ask or suggest a gift, because frankly some of us are very hard to figure out.

18. I'll ditto this majorly. I'm saving up a lot to pay for all the clothes I've already bought with my CC and also to buy even more stuff. If anyone wants to get me anything for Christmas, I'd appreciate doll stuff entirely :lol:

19. well, i personally think it is kind of rude..i mean it's an expensive hobby to begin with..it would be better if you start saving your own money to own one

20. I think its ok just like any gift rly :aheartbea