1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Attachments to your first doll?

Jan 22, 2017

1. Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?
      The first time I saw the sculpt, I said "that is my doll", and that was it. I had been interested in BJDs for five years, and I liked almost everything I saw but it wasn't until that moment that I made the move to actually own one.

Do you still have them?
      Yes. He set the tone for my entire collection, the scale, the proportions, the look. He's the glue that holds the group together.

Did you get super attached/sentimental because they were your first doll?
      No. Being the first doll would't be enough for me to become attached. I'd say him being my core doll for eleven years has made me attached and sentimental about him.

2. Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?

I chose my first off-topic BJD because she seemed to have a definite personality--kind of mischievous (Hujoo "Hujoo" sculpt--close eyed). I wanted something similar in size to my Pullips, and when I purchased her there were few non-polyurethane resin BJD options.

My first on-topic BJD was a Planetdoll MSD Riz--who I purchased also partly because she was similar in size to off-topic BJDs (this time, a Hujoo Sara). I wanted a less expensive doll, first because I was a high schooler and I bought her with birthday money from several years, and second because I wanted a doll I would be comfortable modding. With those restrictions in mind, Planetdoll Riz jumped out because, again, I liked the personality of the sculpt.

Do you still have them?

I have both of these dolls (though not my off-topic MSDs). My Planetdoll Riz has been my companion to college and on trips, and my Hujoo I've kept mostly because she's inexpensive enough that she can just be mine for show. Pixel (my off-topic Hujoo) is really cute, but doesn't really have a story or character, and if she were an expensive polyurethane resin SD I might have a bigger problem with that (because I could use that money for something else--like fabric). I think I would be really sad to part with her though. (Although I'm sad parting with any doll, regardless of whether I have a deep connection with it).

I don't really think I feel attached to them because they were my first--I feel attached to a doll when i feel that we've been through a lot together. This is why modding increases my connection/bonding with a doll--the more time I spend with the doll, doing whatever (although things to make the doll more customized or "mine" helps), the more attached I become.

3. My "first one" actually turned out to be an accidental pair of twins, because the spare Dreaming head that came with the set showed up with a face-up that looked nothing like the open-eyed head. o_O I'd picked the Shiwoo sculpt because I thought he was cute and innocent-looking, without being childlike.

Harumatsu and Tien Jen are both still here, and they're both still favorites. I'm very attached to them, so even if I do eventually move on and find other homes for the majority of the rest of the crew, it's certain they'll be among the few I keep. It's more than just their having been here first. I still really like them. :lol:

Like Idrisfynn's first, in many ways they set the tone for my collection for quite a long time. The gang is more diverse these days, but once upon a time, pretty much every doll I considered was judged at least somewhat by how well I thought they would work style-wise with the guys.

4. Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?
      I fell in love with a sculpt that was long discontinued and impossible to find on the marketplace, so I searched high and low for a doll that matched his aesthetic. I found what I was looking for in Angel of Dream's Tao Hua Dao sculpt and he became my Johnny.

Do you still have them?
      You betcha! It'll be a year in March.

Since I've only had Johnny for eleven months I haven't really had time to get crazy attached to him. He's a special to me and he's very loved, and I have no plans to part with him. However, I can't say that I like him any more or less than I do my other ball-jointed dolls (on-topic and off).

5. Ohmygosh, I love these stories! I bought my first doll totally on impulse. I had my tax check burning a hole in my pocket at an anime convention and he was one of only 2 dolls there at the whole convention. I'd been following the hobby for years, but I'd never really even gotten to hold a doll myself, and I'd only ever seen MSDs in person. So I literally bought the first SD I ever saw in person. I later found out that I was stupendously overcharged for him, but I still don't regret it and 7 years later he's not going anywhere. I have dozens of other dolls now, and some of them get more attention, but I always come back to my first boy because he still has everything I look for in a doll. He sort of spoiled me rotten, as several other dolls I've bought after long and careful consideration and a ton of research have, upon arrival, turned out to be disappointing in comparison to him.

• Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?
      • I had been wanting a BJD doll but they were out of my price range. I was browsing ebay and I saw a cute doll for a reasonable price with tons of extra's and the seller offered layaway so I took the plunge.
      • Do you still have them? Yes, she is still one of my favorites.
      • Did you get super attached/sentimental because they were your first doll?
      • I think that is part of it but I just really like her too. I doubt I would ever sell her.

• Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?: I just loved the sculpt. She was the first doll I found that kinda took my breath away. I don't know if it was how they put her together. But she's def unique. Oh, she's a DollnDoll Loren, btw.
      • Do you still have them?: Yes I do. And am in the process of hopefully revamping her for the third time. XD
      • If not, why did you sell them?: N/A
      • Did you get super attached/sentimental because they were your first doll?: I think I'm pretty attached to her, in a sense. She was my first doll, and I still have her after 8yrs. She still takes my breath away from time to time. And I've come to learn that she is very good at adapting to different styles. A straight up chameleon. Which I think has helped me keep her by my side.
      But this is about selling dolls. I also wanted to add some about my second doll. Which I did sell.
      I was so inlove with him. He was a Crobidoll Ys. Their boys are so beautiful and I loved the Ys so much.
      But I came to figure out he was just too big for me. He was also so wobbly no matter what I did to try and fix it.
      And though I loved to sculpt so much, I just had to sell him. There was no connection anymore.
      Though I will be reshelling the character at some point. I did hesitate at first. And I knew it had to be done.
      It is what it is, you know?

6. Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?
      Love at first sight, literally. When I saw him, the sculpt was already sold out, and it took me half a year wait until I came across a well-kept second-hand one.

Do you still have them?
      Yes! I actually just bought another one of this sculpt and sent him to get face-up. He is still my favorite.

I was and am still more attached to him than to my other dolls. I think him being my first doll was not the cause of my attachment, but rather the other way around: my immediate love for him made him my first doll.

She was/is my favorite.
      • Do you still have them?
      Yes, I can't imagine selling her unless I just quit the hobby for some unforeseen reason. Even then, I'd likely sell the rest and keep her and one other.
      No, I got her as my first because she was the one I liked most. I started out by liking her best and even though I have gotten 15 other dolls, I still play with her the most. If I had gotten my first doll and then liked a different one more later or wanted the money for other dolls that suited me better, I wouldn't have hesitated to sell or trade the first one.

7. Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?

I liked him at the time. Still kind of like the mold, but the aesthetic no longer matches my other dolls at all and it's not one I'm hugely obsessed with. It was a Luts Delf El, back in the ancient times before CP and Luts parted ways.

Do you still have them?

Nope, he's long gone.

If not, why did you sell them?

Just moved away from him, and there was also a period where I sold all my dolls but two due to financial issues.

A bit, but obviously not so much that I wasn't willing to sell it.

The oldest doll I still have was actually my third. I actually tried to sell him at one point but he just would not move. Pretty sure he sent threatening PMs to anyone considering it rofl.

Ephram: We've been over this. I own you, not the other way around.

8. Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?
      I chose her as my first doll because I had been looking at BJDs for nearly three years without finding one I felt compelled to own.. until her. :ablink: The dilemma for me was a $500 limited full set or a $200 cheaper blank doll. I wrestled with my feelings for probably two weeks before caving and making the purchase.

Do you still have them?
      I do still have her, and can't imagine I will ever part with her voluntarily.

If not, why did you sell them?
      (why haven't/wouldn't I sell her?)

I would resist selling her til probably being down to my most prized personal belongings and in bankruptcy. Her sculpt is now retired, as well, so she would be quite hard to get back. Though I skipped out on the full set when I bought her, I later came to realize that was a mistake: I really still yearn for that set so she will look just like in the promo photos I first fell in love with. Having her is as close as I will likely ever get to owning the doll in those legendary photos. :eusa_sile

I would say that she does hold a place of favor due to being my first. Even if by some stellar miracle the limited full set were to fall into my hands someday, my #1 girl would not be in any danger of replacement.

9. Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?
      Instant love, plain and simple. She was sitting at a doll fair in the corner of a glass display case and I circled that case all day until I finally felt brave enough to pay that much money for a little doll (she's a 1/6 IslandDoll Cookie).

Do you still have them?
      Yes. I may have considered selling her a few times throughout the years, but even if I don't love her quite as strongly anymore as I did back then, there's still the "I like you so much" feeling when I look at her. My tastes have moved away from that size almost completely, but it wouldn't feel right to part with her or her sister (purchased a year later to the day).

Yes. Without her, I might never have jumped into this hobby altogether, so I feel like I owe her a lot. I tried so many things for the first time on her and I remember all of those things when I look at her. She still has my very first face-up and although she desparately needs a good deyellowing, I can't bring myself to wipe it. I think she might forever remain unevenly banana yellow and horribly stained from the socks I had her in for months until I learned how to properly take care of my dolls. She's scarred from her time with me and I actually cringe sometimes when I see her, but it makes her all the more special. If she wasn't my first, I would probably not have kept her (or any other doll in that size aside from my Littlefee Ante, the only one to get proper attention).

10. I've not been in the hobby for long, so I do still have my first doll.
      There isn't any particular reason why I chose my first doll,
      I'd heard good things about the company (supia) and I just thought she was pretty.
      That being said, even though I haven't had her long I am weirdly sentimental over her.
      I can't even bring myself to wipe her company faceup, even though I really want to give her a new one.

11. My first BJD is from over 2 years ago, a standard mini sized doll from Volks (Dai). I still have him and I plan to keep him. It took a long time for me to get a BJD, I remember taking so long to finally make up my mind and obsessively checking EMS to track his progress (Volks was really good, he left Kyoto and was at my door within 10 days from the time of ordering :)). I don't think I'll ever sell him, I may not always love his style or size the most but he will always be very special to me. He's a familiar presence now, I don't get super excited when I see him but it's comforting to know he's there.

12. Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one?
      Well, I planned on getting a Luts Dark Elf Soo as my first doll, but when the winter event came around, I ended up buying a body and getting a free Juri 06 head and she became my first instead. And thus my addition to limited dolls began.

Do you still have them?
      Yes.

I am not certain if it was because she was my first doll or because she became the shell to one of my long time RP characters, but I am quite attached to her. That and she became my now passed on kitty's favorite doll as well. He loved her from day one when I got her. I would bring out the other dolls and he was "meh", but if I had her out, he would have to come over and say hello with a nuzzle.

Because he was perfect! I saw his face and thought, "that's my little Gawain!" He was a Dollzone Scarecrow Hal, the first version with the freckled face-up (the one in my avatar, in fact...).
      • Do you still have them?
      YES! He is six now and is never, ever leaving me. In fact, I'll do one better: because I love his sculpt so much, I got the dreaming version that Dollzone brought out later as well. And I've ordered a body for it. So I'll have two Scarecrow Hals, because the only thing better than Scarecrow Hal is two Scarecrow Hals.
      Oh yes. I bought him in white skin; if I were to buy him again today, I'd choose pink skin. But there is no way I could sell him and get a pink-skin version instead... Same for his body: there are many bodies around now that are more beautiful than his. He has the ugliest knee joints imaginable. But I can't replace his body. He came to me like this. It's what he is like. I'll keep him like that.

I don't know... He was the origin of my doll craziness; he's special. But apart from that, I can't imagine I'd tire of his little face. He's so cute... Also, he turned out to be a perfect first doll - a good size, not too complicated and a great poser. I adore him.

• Why did you choose the doll you did for your first one? I chose my first and only, so far, because of her body sculpt and size. I then chose the face that I adored, and still do.
      • Do you still have them? I can't really see me ever parting with her. The more time I spend with her the more her personality shines through and we're kind of developing together.
      • Did you get super attached/sentimental because they were your first doll? I am very attached to her and I suppose there is a certain amount of sentimentality involved with her being my first but I am pretty attached to her.