1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

B and C grade dolls...what do you like to do with them?

Aug 2, 2022

1. I personally love "lower quality" dolls that are 3d printed and designed by fellow doll lovers. Melonpan Market is one of my favorite people to get these kinds of B and C grade scratched up cuties from. (I'd add pics but I'm not sure how as I haven't exhausted the resources to learn the forum here.) I have decided to carry them around with me since they are generally cheaper and okay to knock around a bit. Only struggle is making clothing for them (so tiny)!

Does anyone else like these kinds of dolls? Or also dolls that don't come out as the maker intended. Like I've seen a really interesting mistake on a for sale DC doll where the wrong accessories were added. Do the scratches and quality matter a lot to you (besides when you have to shell out a ridiculous amount of money...I mean in situations like the above...fun little anomalies and almost toy like at that point).

2. I've always dreamt of owning a cheaper version of a doll (for example due to casting flaws such as bubbles or some sort of chipping or a mismatched headcup or anything else that makes the doll unique ;) ) But that never happened. Most companies I like have such quality control and a company policy that such a solution doesn't seem possible.

That being said, I have two dolls that have their faceup done by me and they serve as my sewing models. I know that if something happens to the face up, I can just redo it, no big deal. So they are my B-grade dolls, yet I love and feel attached to them as much as to my other dolls if not even more, since I painted them myself :)

3. I love accumulating "cheaper" dolls and the like. I'll pick up damaged bodies and damaged dolls to model for things. I used to gather more in the past, these days I just have a half dozen heads. I purchased an SD body (my first SD volks actually...) to model my random heads; as I make wigs, and sew for my own dolls. The scale's good enough for most of my needs. If there was more damage done on the body I wouldn't have had a problem, but it's only yellowed.

I am more likely to bring my replaceable or 'cheap' dolls out and about though. The more limited ones I keep.

4. Well I suppose whether my dolls are b grade or not is subjective :XD: I never think of it that way exactly but I think in the spirit of the question I'll contribute that i think for some of us, we find a lot to appreciate in something that is imperfect, perhaps even a bit damaged, I think often it's a bit of emotional transference but I'm sure other people just appreciate some savings if there's a good deal to be found. Kind of like the idea of b-grade I'm attracted to unpopular dolls, forgotten companies, and dolls who are aged from normal wear and tear or make a bit imperfect by design. There are things that would bother me too much with some types of b-grades such as excessively textured problems on the face or uneven coloring that comes across in an unpleasant way to me, but many of my dolls have their problems and it doesn't trouble me. I mostly am no more careful or precious with one doll over another. They were all expensive enough, and I love them very much, and I have enough experience by now to know what will reasonably harm them, so I avoid that, but I have plenty of fun. I have on rare occasions experienced a doll that I felt was so special (and expensive) I was intimidated by it and couldn't enjoy it enough, so in that case I think the answer is clear, maybe the old forgotten kind of undesirable dolls are the best fit for me :whee:

5. Generally I love a good B grade. I definitely don't mind a doll that's a little "rough around the edges"- I don't really care about perfection, so long as the doll still functions as intended. Even if I don't plan to do anything particularly risky with a doll, I like knowing that it's already not considered "perfect"... it just gives me less illogical anxiety about somehow spoiling/ruining it. Due to the high bar for perfection in the BJD hobby, though, a "B grade" part is usually basically perfect. :lol:

Recently (It might even still be ongoing when I post this) the Doll Chateau and Dollzone official taobao stores have been selling B-grade "lucky bags"- basically a randomly selected B-grade stock doll of a certain size category at a very reduced price. I wish more stores did this!

6. Ooo I'll have to check that out! I wish more did that too!

7. I remember when Unoa first started making B-grade kits available. It was a total game changer for availability for their dolls, and what they consider a B grade is really awfully close to A grade ^^; Mostly just the tiniest inclusions in casting and the like, or tiny bubbles in places that don't affect usability or aesthetics at all.

Iplehouse sometimes offers B grade dolls through their auctions too and it's an awesome way to get one-of-a-kind dolls from them, because sometimes they'll sell dolls that were miscast in colors that weren't normally available!

But those also tend to be a lot nicer than artist-made B and C casts, which I say lovingly, since my favorite doll in my collection is a C-grade OOAK cast ^^; He's OT though since he doesn't meet professional casting standards, so I won't talk about him here--but all that to add context when I say I definitely don't look down on them! Even "oopsies" with defects have their place in the hobby.

I personally find working on "imperfect" dolls really freeing, because when you can really let loose and not be restrained by what you think might hurt or damage an A-grade doll. Imperfect casts need a little TLC from the beginning, so you're looking at color imperfections, hiding inclusions, patching flaws with epoxy clays or filler putty, and that removes a lot of mental barriers. Why not go ahead and go crazy with mods and customization? Experiment with materials you wouldn't dare use on an A-grade doll that cost a lot of money? So many options and opportunities to really make it your own! :love

That's probably why I've kind of become a home for misfit/damaged dolls, lol. I adore working on them and fixing them up. It's definitely nice to have my "nice" dolls that are treated well and look stunning in photos, but gosh, it sure is fun to have some that let me play around without any concerns about damage or imperfection.

8. I call those "Project dolls"... They're fun.

9. For future reference @QuaintMysteryDolls, Melonpan aka Lemonjelly was banned from Den of Angels. When a forum member is banned anything they make after that point is also banned and cannot be discussed, shown in photos, bought or sold here.
      Additionally, anything that is 3D printed and not cast is resin, is off topic.

10. Edit!
      I see you hyperlinked, disregard the query into how to find the lists!

Oh....wow I'm really sorry. Huge apologies if I hurt anyone with bringing them up!

I'll fix my bio right away, as well.

I do have a question. Where can I find a list of banned people and their aliases? I don't mean to make any fusses, so I'd like to avoid doing this in the future. Thank you for being kind to me and not outright getting rid of me for not knowing also!

Edit two!!
      I noticed I follow several of these people on Instagram. Where can I find the information that will help me better understand if I want to support these people? I'm not asking IF I should unfollow/support, I'm just wondering if there's more I need to know to stay informed...if that makes sense ^-^' in the meantime of an answer from a moderator, I'll search the forum to see what I can find.

Final edit:

I've found all the info I was searching for, so nevermind! Again, apologies for the accidental rule breaking!! I'll be more careful in the future.

#10 QuaintMysteryDolls, Aug 3, 2022
      Last edited: Aug 3, 2022