1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ball Jointed Peer Pressure: Who hooked you?

Mar 3, 2012

1. I have Deviantart to blame for getting me interested in BJDs as well, however it was when a close friend got her first dolls that I finally decided to take the plunge. No regrets, haha

2. Heh! I don't think of it as peer pressure so much as WICKED ENABLING. But, no really!! I was so happy to find a community of doll collectors of all ages who were sharing their joy in works by living artists. I collected dolls for years and wasn't able to share with anyone, and there was never anything new. So if it's peer pressure that got me into this? Well that's okay by me, then!

3. My friend who (now that I think of it) may or may not have come across BJDs in her copy of the Lolita Bible - at the time, she was significantly into Lolita fashion. She showed me Volks, and we both really wanted one. At the time, she and I were convinced that the day would probably never come, due to their prices.

We ended up both getting regular-sized Dollfies, and last I checked, she was saving money for an actual BJD. I started saving up later than she did, and I have two, now.

4. I agree the term "enabler" is better, I could not think of the word when I made the initial post. I know for a fact that I will end up as an enabler for some one some where along the line. I think my friend had learned about them via the internet as well, I remember the very first time I heard her talk about them she used the word Dollfei (I hope i spelled that right), her first was a Bobobie Elena which was a tad more in the 'do-able' range for prices; fallowing in her footsteps, mine first is also a Bobobie, hes a 1/3 Apollo. The pair of us make up both sides of the methods of introductions to the hobby I've seen posted, one jumped in, and then dragged a friend along for the ride hehe. n_n

5. I found them myself through Pullips and deviantart. After I found BJDs, I didn't want any other doll :)

6. No one. Not that I'm all that much of an independent thinking or anything. I still seem to be able to follow my own interests without any prompting from anyone else. It's been that way all my life. If I was doing what everyone else was doing, I'd probably be bored out of my mind... I've always been a bit of an outsider-type, and that's OK with me.

Anyway, I saw bjds while looking around on the internet. I found out LATER that I had friends who were into them, which was fantastic. Shows that the similar interests we had in the past also translated into bjds. :)

7. Huh I guess I'm weird- I got into this all on my own.
      I have since ennabled three people into it, but that's been part of the fun of the whole thing. Muahaha.

8. Oh man, it's been 3 years, I don't remember. I can say, as a whole, I blame the internet. :) The only one who regrets it is my wallet.

9. I discovered Volks on ebay and fell in love but they were way out of my price range. I finally was able to get an Obitsu Gretel on layaway and that was going to be it. Then my friend asked my to join her BJD yahoo group. I joined to be polite but all the pics of the beautiful dolls was the ruin of me.. 22 BJD's later...here I am! I have sold a whole lot of my vintage doll collection to get them.

10. For me it was a pretty much a Dual introduction.

I used to collect Little Apple Dolls before I got into bjd. I bought these at fantasy events.

At one of these events in 2005 I saw someone with a bjd, and wondered what they were.
      One of my volunteer friends said she knew what they were and told me about Luts.
      (for a long time I thought Luts was the only company there was)

that same year the store I used to buy my apple dolls from converted into a bjd shop,
      And I pretty much just converted with them, by then I had done some research and had gotten into BJD.

So now I order at company's a lot, but i also still visit that shop onlu now for bjd related items. :)

11. A good friend I met in college started my bjd journey.
      She opened my eyes up to some really cool things that I probably would have shyed away from if not meeting someone with similar likes.

I only have one doll as of late, but I hope to get another in the future. :)

12. An internet search binging so many years ago when I looked up Saber Marionette J (2nd year high school, 11 years ago). I sort of forgot about it until Rozen Maiden in college, and articles of Volks DolPa's releasing Shinku, Hinaichigo, Suiseiseki, Souseiseki and Suigintou. Since then I've been scouting for companies and sculpts until the 24th of November 2011 when I finally purchased a LUTS KDF Yuz. ♥

13. My best friend is rkold, who thanks to her heavy involvement in the Japanese 1/6 fashion doll world got onto the BJD bandwagon very early, and thus was able to yank me onto the BJD bandwagon in 2003. She's pretty much the devil, that one. :D

14. I haven't played the hookie so much as the hooker. XD I first discovered BJD's on the internet,and here recently I've dragged my best friend down with me.

15. I enabled myself! Or rather the internet did.

16. I bought a book when I was twelve(?) that mentioned Volks dolls so I Googled it. It all started from there ^^;;

17. I must say, Im impressed with the fellow doll lovers who took the plung all on their own or had the help of the internet. Like another poster above, I'm use to jumpping of bridges all on my own with most hobbies, but this time it was certainly nice to jump with someone, it was even better to be greeted with the smiling faces of those who took the plunge as well. Im rather enjoying being the jumpie on this one, the creative joy of those in the hobbie is refreshing. n_n

18. No one introduced me to BJDs; I somehow came across them myself on the internet, and ended up a week later with my little fellow in the mail from DDE. :lol: Though I'm currently trying to coerce some friends into the BJD hobby; they are showing encouraging amounts of interest. <3

19. I totally blame Tasuki (BlackCatNya) and I am so happy she did! She happened to bring a few of her 60cm dolls with her when we all met up and Denny's one time, and I was beyond thrilled to see what they could look like! It didn't help that 2 of her boys have the look that I am obsessed with, one had long black hair and blood red eyes and the other had long silver and again blood red eyes .... sadly that did it. I went home and started searching. My first love was the Vampire EL (yes you can see how long ago this was) but, sadly I was beyond broke at the time, It took me several years but I now have my EL (non vampire, but I love him to death) and ...... I think at last count 23 others >.< If I could see her now I would so Glomp her and thank her for getting me onto this hobby! ... Tasuki if your reading this THANK YOU!!!!!

20. i have always loved dolls. almost got into antique end when i was on line and looking up old dolls and ran across a very expensive art doll. it was a bjd, same body development as the antiques. so further investigation brought the price range down to something i could afford. i enabled my Mom. she hated them at first. was grossed out when i took head caps off and she could see joints. she would leave the room when i played with the eyes lol! but she finally caved and now she has the extensive collection. we go to shows together and have a blast on the internet. now to get her on here. she just does not chat on the computer:|

i guess i can add my gran daughter, too. not that she does not love her dolls. she thought they were creepy at first and wouldn't go in my room when Monzo was in there. now she loves them. Chloe has an eye fetish now, loves wigs, and of course changes clothes on them. and for Chloe being 3, you heard me, she is very careful of them. she tells her friend not to touch them but you can see her petting Berly and then she tells me how pretty she is with her new wig:)