1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ball Jointed Peer Pressure: Who hooked you?

Mar 3, 2012

1. Not one specific person got me interested in BJD's. I knew about BJD's for two years before I started the hobby. One day I got on Iplehouse's website to purchase a wig for another doll and then started to look at their BJD line. That is the moment when the BJD snowball effect started =)

2. I think a past self got me into them. When Volks was still new, I wanted them but didn't get any. After a few years, I remembered them and I got right into the hobby. I remembered exactly how much I wanted them when I was younger, so I was excited to actually start.

3. My friend got me hooked. :) Shes one of my bestest friends ever, and she thought I might like them. So she gives me a doll for a birthday present. I was open mouthed and shocked when I found out. I only have two dolls though. Working on a 3rd one.

4. I'm the first, and at this point all my friends still think I'm crazy for spending this kind of money on a dollie. "Aren't you a little old to be playing with dolls?" lol But I plan to have them all hooked by 2013!!

5. I have a similar story. The exception being is it was my sister, second-banshee, who got me into it more by letting me play with her girls than anything else. She has, however, bought me my first doll as my Christmas/birthday present this year. :lol:

6. I found the hobby myself over Pen and Paper. :) Played a drow there and saw a pretty drow doll on Deviantart. Unfortunately the owner never wanted to tell me what dolls those where, I asked some questions that never got an answer, maybe the message just got buried.
      Luckily, she wrote the molds under one of the pictures she took and so I slid into the hobby, bought a Bobobie Doll, came in touch with the Bobobie Forum and further with Den of Angels.
      I found Tutorials for restringing and painting on youtube myself, so really nobody got me into the hobby directly or gave me direct help or tipps.
      Also it was not until the first year into the hobby was almost over, that I found some collectors in Switzerland. ^^;;

7. Having been into dolls enough to have many, and to be a subscriber to several doll magazines, when I
      first saw them in Haute Doll, I thought they were pretty. There are, however lots of "pretty" dolls out there, and the Volks prices in the ad were off-putting. Then I went off to a 5 day event and saw my first -- owned by Sunara, and my second -- owned by Mercy, and that's all she wrote.
      HAD to have one... well, maybe 8 and counting!

8. LOL, I entirely blame rkold. She's been showing me pictures of the dolls she's gotten and the doll meets that she's attended for years and years. I always liked them but never thought I would spend so much money on a doll. When I got out of one of my other hobbies (thus freeing up some money), I gave in. And I love it.

9. I was my enabler. I found them through DA and the rest is history I guess. I just kept looking and looking. I guess if anything Google and DA were my enabler.

10. I can't remember how I got into it. I know it wasn't a person. Then it cooled for a year or 2 and I saw them at a doll show where our own Cat^..^ took first place in a category. I'm still looking for my first. And I kinda got my mom into them.

11. I also got hooked up by a friend. I asked her some questions about her BJD and we began talking more.Thanks to her enthusiasm I'm here. :)

12. I blame DA for my enabler :| It was 7 years ago when I was browsing something and suddenly found photos of a bjd posing in different light, holding a glass marble in her hands. It really caught my attention and stick in my mind until a last year I finally have enough budget to spends. As for the photos that caught me, I didn't save it and can't find it now :doh

13. I've liked BJDs for years and wanted to own one, but never could justify the price for them when I was younger, then put it all on the back burner in favor of other hobbies.
      Then I moved in with grimgoblin. Horrible, horrible enabler, and we both regret nothing. :'D

14. My friend. For the sake of online discretion and anonymity, I'll simply call her E. She indoctrinated me in to this hobby by simply mentioning the phrase "ball-jointed doll". Now, I'd been trying (rather successfully) to suppress my doll-loving feelings; I was, after all, "growing up". But I couldn't resist it, my curiosity was piqued. I'd never heard of these ball-jointed dolls before. So I went home, Googled, "ball-jointed doll", and looked through the images. And the rest, as they say, is history. Ironically, the first photograph of a BJD I saw was one from the company I ended up ordering my first girl from (though I was unaware of that at the time). Guess I really must love their sculpts. (: Anywho, I'm even more obsessed with ball-jointed dolls than E is now!

15. I found out about BJDs by pure coincidence while searching for something else on google.
      I mostly just get into hobbies myself. ^^

16. Like many people here... I got into BJDs through Deviant Art. ^^ I thought the dolls were beautiful and did some research. After seeing the price tag I decided I'd never have any of my own and determined I'd just enjoy them through pictures and such.

Quite some time later.. as much as five or six years, I would say, I discovered my new friend from university, Haiiro, was also interested in them! Nothing much came of it for another couple of years, though... until last year, when we finally gave each other the needed push to officially decide to collect. ^^

I don't know what you're talking about~ :lol:

17. I was introduced by a work colleague, for the life of me I can't remember how the discussion started but I think it was me talking about sewing. I wanted to make a dress for one of her dollies and she said oh the size is yo-sd and I started reading up.

I have yet to purchase my own bjd (though I do have 4 OT dolls). My first purchase will be for my sister-in-law for her birthday, so I guess I will be enabling her, even though she had independently been admiring bjds online around the same time I started looking.

I am aiming to buy my first after my sister-in-law's so looking at late July or August!
      :fangirl:

18. one of my friends friends mom sold bjd stuff at nakakon,and when I met her she had one on her and I questioned her about it, she told me a bit, and I looked it up at home, and I got my sister into it aswell, but she forgot I did one morning and claimed she found them on her own:doh oh well, she still cant remember but at least she still likes it, thought that counts am I right?

19. My ex-girlfriend got me into them. Also Rozen Maiden was very popular at the time so it got us even more excited about the whole bjd thing :) I don't know about her, but I still love bjds~

20. I'm another person who was pulled in by DA. I've been eyeing photographs of them for years and thinking that they are lovely. Then when I was actually buying my first doll and kept asking my friend for opinions on accessories I ended up pulling her in and she ended up buying two dolls. XD