1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ball Jointed Peer Pressure: Who hooked you?

Mar 3, 2012

1. My room mates made me fall in the doll hobby.
      Actually, i discovered bjd a long loooong time ago, but i wasn't really looking for having my own.
      And one of my bestfriends got hers (my current room mate).
      It was still too expensive to me, but for my 19th birthday, she took the train on a saturday morning and brought me the more suprising present i've ever got : a doll (a DOC Petsha precisely).
      Then, i've bought dolls myself for the last 4 years, because you know, when you get one, you just can't stop X)

2. I guess you can say dA hooked me.. I was looking for cosplay photos randomly and saw this GORGEOUS... ''thing'' cosplaying L from DeathNote. I quickly stalked ALL of the photos from that shoot and was amazed it was a doll! (They had Photoshopped all of their bjd photos to look very much like real people). I had never seen anything like it and quickly became obsessed! ^_^ That was almost 6 years ago so I guess I'm really getting into the hobby late personally. :doh
      Since then I still don't physically know anyone that has one! :|

3. The evil interwebz!! I saw one online and was all, "@_@ wow, that's cool what is it?!" then searched more and more then just HAD to have one of my very own! I hadn't even seen one IRL before my kid delf came home. I was shocked at how much bigger in person he was and how heavy he felt! been hooked ever since! <3

4. When I first "saw" a BJD, it was on DeviantART. At first I thought it was a small action figure, and later I was surprised it was 42 cm tall!

The second time I "saw" one (on deviantART again) I thought it was a real person.. :lol:

It was about 2 years after I learned about BJDs that I bought one, and while waiting for him to arrive I saw some (from afar) at an anime convention. Later I dragged about 4-5 other people into the hobby. ;)

5. CHIBIJAIME! She did it! It was all her fault....and now I'm worse than she is about them and corrupting others with them. Now I just keep finding more and more that I want so I have to make myself stick to the "one per year" rule. CJ is still looking for a certain special one to fit a character of hers though....hope she finds it soon...

6. My best friend Sarah told me about the dolls, then we both sucked eachother into getting our 1st dolls.
      So now we suck eachother into getting clothes and other things for them plus another doll, its quite the funny habbits!

7. I blame my best friend. I was really uncomfortable around them for the longest time, but the more I handled hers the more I loved them and the more I wanted to own them. I've only got Dave now, but I wouldn't have gotten him if not for her.

8. Mainframe110, who comented above, got me very hooked very fast.

9. I already liked BJD a long time ago but as much as I like them I never thought of buying but a friend bought her first bjd a few weeks ago and she was so happy with it,she's still saving up money for her dreams dolls that are going to be her chracters and since my character has "interact" with hers she got the idea that I made my Oc's into a bjd aswell.I couldn't resist.

10. My friend Saltcat, and I both pressured each other and ended up joining the hobby at the exact same time! XD It was nice to join the hobby with a friend~ :3

11. I saw my schoolmates bringing their dolls to school ....and that was the first time I saw a doll in person.
      But I'm not into gothic/loli stuffs and they were dressed in that way.
      So I thought all the dolls are like this and only appreciated them as an art piece until 2 years ago,when I happened to stumble upon this fanfiction site.The fic was written by the creator of hz...there was a link to some photos of the doll she created based on the characters in the story. That was when I first fell in love with dolls!This hobby is like a dark hole ,I am always planning for more after I know how gorgeous a doll will look in person....>_<

12. My best friend who doesn't even live in the same country as me. I had only seen the dolls in passing up to the point of getting one. And then I had looked at the owners strangely..

Anyhow.. my friend got one and in her wait time bombarded me with pictures until I was hooked. Though I may not have gotten one if it weren't for a customer (now friend) who came through the store I work at carrying two dolls.

I kinda followed her and worked up my nerve to approach her and she told me about the local community and a local dealer to order from.

I don't think I would have bought my first, or second doll at all if it hadn't been through a local dealer.. I would have been too nervous thinking the money went out for nothing in return and there was little I could do about it. In my mind, at least a local seller there was ways to get money back through legal system.

13. I found out about bjds at an anime convention, and now I've gotten my sister and my best friend into it. Strangely enough, they have a doll each now, while I remain dolless!

14. Years ago, I am crazy about pixel dolls. I have overly customized Sims from both Sims 2 and Sims 3. I pay money to get pixel clothes/hair/accessories then later went on to Poser editing. Oh well, maybe because I am getting older, I wanted real dolls that I can actually hold instead of wasting money on pixel dollies. I got inspired on getting bjd's by some top Sims 2 Custom Content creators who owns bjd's.

15. Actually, i fell in love with BJD's when i first saw Brilliantlyblond's a few years ago, and since i was able to obtain a credit card, I've been collecting since :3

16. Funny enough, the first time I saw a BJD at an anime convention, I could not see what the big deal was. I thought the doll my friend bought at the time was lovely, but couldn't understand why it was so expensive or why it was something so important to her. And then a year later my close friend Renarys linked me to Soom's website, and showed me a picture of her Kiran, too -- and I was sold. Thus was the end of me ever having money, ever.

17. Well, for me it's been a friend on a Harry Potter forum in which I was role playing a character. We started chatting online and she gave me a link to her blog and I saw her dolls! I was hooked!

18. My friend Daughter_of_Hades introduced me to the hobby. At first, I just thought they were pretty but they were insanely expensive and you had to be nuts to put so much money into a doll.
      Then she took me to a doll meetup and I just fell in LOVE~! My first boy was a wedding gift from my husband and I just love him to bits. :aheartbea

19. I think it was the internet that initially drew me to them, that was like years ago now. I recently re-discovered them though a post someone made on a petsite (Aywas) I play. Then I Googled them and *bam* been obssessed ever since xD

20. My twin sister actually. She had ordered a DIM Flowne and then convinced me to get a doll as well and three years later here we are, we currently have about 4 I will be getting two more soon. Our family is growing at a ridiculous rate.