1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ball Jointed Peer Pressure: Who hooked you?

Mar 3, 2012

1. The internet whiles looking at Lolita girls because I loved their fashion. The description said something along the lines of a lolita girl with her bjd in matching outfits. Since no other person was in the photo I supposed bjd was reference to the doll. The search then started from there. Been admiring since 2006 and first doll in 2008, a minifee Soo if you wish to know :)

I got my best male friend & my hubby in the hobby though :p

2. A couple things got me into it. First of all I watched that anime Rozen Maiden. That got me thinking about them and the more I thought about it the more I kind of wanted one. A good friend of mine already had a couple and she let me borrow hers for a few months. During that time I really got to know that doll and fell in love with it. It wasn't to much longer after that, that I found my first doll. I now have two of them and would like to possibly get two more in the future. :)

3. I had always been interested in them. I've been an avid toy collector for YEARS and my primary focus was Iron Man and Marvel related figures and Video Game related statuary and Gashapon. A very dear friend of mine began talking about the dolls and I began to research and I fell in love with Pullip and her boyfriend Taeyang! Recently, I've fallen in love with Doll Leaves dolls.

4. Definitely internet. I was looking for some references in asian traditional costumes for an illustration and I came across this chinese site that sells clothes, they specify "this clothes are for human, not for doll." so I thought those dolls were like mannequins either not jointed (I could not see joints because the clothes were covering them) or they had only detailed hands and face... so I decided to look for them, since I didn´t know their names or how to search for them, it took me more than a month to find them.

And here I am waiting for my first dolls...:)

5. I discovered bjd's via Flickr. I was (and still am) a Blythe collector and bjd's were turning up in the photo streams of Blythe friends. I bought my first doll second hand off a Blythe forum then got involved with DoA. I am now doing my part to enable future generations. :D I bought my 20 yr old daughter her first bjd and I allow my two 2 yr old granddaughters to play with my dolls with my supervision.

6. I was introduced to the hobby almost by accident, through online shopping...... I had an off-topic doll whose original hair had been replaced with a wig of terrible quality, so I was searching ebay for doll wigs to get the right color/style of hair back on the off-topic doll..... and I ended up seeing so much BJD stuff that I got interested in the idea of putting together a doll completely of my own design......

7. I kind of just got myself into the hobby, but an rl friend of mine certainly helped because she has an interest in them as well. We first saw them at a convention, some people were walking around with them but I was too busy running around that I didn't stop to talk to them. There was also a vendor selling some, but at the time I didn't have enough and it was the only time they were there at the convention I go to every year.

I kind of hit a thing where I was trying to think of anything that I might be able to get into myself for a hobby without depending on someone else to go along with it. In my search I remembered the dolls and decided to do a little research and looking around until I became positive this was what I wanted to do. The convincing process was pretty quick I might add and I'm waiting as patiently as I can for my first doll to finally come in.

8. When I entered the hobby of dolls collecting, I wasn't much interested in BJDs, I thought I would always go on collecting Pullip and maybe some Blythe. But then I entered a local forum of dolls owners and they where all so enthusiastic about their BJDs, they keep posting wonderful pictures and threads and in the end I was also caught in the BJD mania. Now I can't stop thanking them though! ^_____^

9. An online friend from anime fandom got me hooked. She's been into dolls for a very long time and through the years would share pictures of them with me, or show pictures of the doll shows she had attended in Japan. I was fascinated, but the cost scared me.

Finally, I decided that it was worth it and jumped in.

My husband didn't care for them at first, but now he likes mine. I think the only thing that is keeping him from getting one of his own is that he doesn't want to cut back on his other hobbies.

10. At first, I was very much not into dolls until one of my besties was like "I have dolls and they are awesome." and to that I was like ">.>;; I dunno about this doll thing. . ." but once she showed me in person I was like "<.<;; They're not so bad. . ."

Then she gave me one . . .and now I have a whole crew. My other bestie got her first doll not long after me, and does all the face ups on the ones that I get blank. :D A majority of my dolls have been worked on by her.

11. Lots of great story's! I also see many fellow doll enthusiast awaiting their first doll like I am, It so very exciting! Me and my friend are planning a small party when my 1/3 boy comes home in a a few weeks, It's fun preparing for the home coming, making clothing and making sure you have a carrier and those other needed supplies. So much fun and he's not even home yet! Once my doll dose come in my friend and I plan on attending conventions and doll meets. :)

12. I had heard about them in passing, mainly when anime was brought up. Then I had came across the Volks sight a few years ago, in the summer between 8th and freshman year of high school. The price at that age, I'll admit, killed my interest for awhile. TT-TT But then my cousin is who really got me interested with her boy. :) Then I found out about other companies and that I could finally afford one with finally having a job. :3

13. A friend of mine mentioned them while we were in high school but I wasn't too interested in them back then. It wasn't until a half a year ago when I started talking to another friend of mine who was really into the hobby. I saw a lot of her dolls on Facebook and at her house and I fell head over heels in love with them. ^_^

14. no one really, I just saw them at conventions since 2005 and wanted one so bad that I bought a obitsu in 07, finally got my first bjd last year *x*

15. My sister got into them not too long ago. She bout her first doll Alice last year, that's when I started to see all of the dolls. More came home and I fell in love with them but didn't want to have to buy one. Then on X-Mass my mother and sister bout my first doll for me! A YOSD DollnDoll Heart Zinnia, that's when I started to get in to it hard. I bout an OnlyDoll not too long after that and got her in April, then I bout more dolls after her. So my sister is behind this I am not at fault lol. :):sweat

16. I was the first person I know with BJDs. I just had looked at them online and wanted one for a long time.
      I did then get my girlfriend and a few other friends into the hobby though.

17. Me too.. and then I was a loner (in the bjd com) for quite sometime. Finally got to know some other doll collectors nowadays. Got to know about bjd thru a shop and anime convention.

18. A good friend of mine, StarsOfCASi, showed me her Kisho. And then I was hooked. I have always loved dolls, so I immediately wanted my very own BJD. She never pressured me or anything. If anything, I pressured myself!!!! I worked hard all of that following summer until I could afford to buy myself a Bobobie Apollo. The first day I got marketplace access, I found a used Apollo. I still have him and I love him to bits. You can see his face plastered as my icon or background on every electronic device that I own. ^^ Now, I have three dolls and love to take them out and about. It's been two years in the hobby, and I'm so glad that I stuck it through that summer and bought Angelo. (I did see them at a convention from afar once before, and I know that it I had gotten closer, I probably would have gotten into this sooner. But alas, I just kept walking.)

19. My eyes got me into the hobby. I saw my first BJD at a convention many years ago and nearly died at the price tag. Then, when I went to college, I decided that since my interest in them had not waned I would just go for it.

I've been going for it ever since.

20. It was a combination of conventions and subtle peer pressure, really. The idea was planted in my head one year at AWA and pounded in like a sharp little nail by my friend who had planned on getting dolls of her RP characters. Shoot forward a couple years and now I'm the only one in the group still actively into them. So, while I can't claim to be original, it's definitely proven to not be a phase. :)