1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ball Jointed Peer Pressure: Who hooked you?

Mar 3, 2012

1. I had my own interest by my friend Kristy converted me...then I spread the BJD Love :D

2. I frequent fabric stores often as I am a demon seamstress, I walked into a Joanns Fabrics one day where a friend from my SCA group worked, we chatted for a moment then she brightly asked," Have you met Nell?" and pulled her Elfdoll Lydia out from under the counter. I was not struck by the particular doll so much as the concept: a completely customizable doll that posed like a person and would be the perfect being to sew for. I was determined to have a BJD from the first moment I saw one. The very fact that they existed was sufficient. No enablers were needed.

3. I don't remember how but I discovered bjds somewhere on the web, got hooked by destiny, chance, whatever you prefer. But I did look for owners in my country, and I don't think I would have been able to jump over my shadow and actually order one, without the help of Sadomina, who is also a member here. I'm so glad I found someone experienced to give me newbie advice.

4. Online friends started getting these ginourmous dolls (ha! little MSDs) something like years ago, and slowly chipped away at my resistance to "OMG, that's two month's CAR payments!" "That cost all my books for one semester!" until finally, I caved in. I was only going to have one second hand doll, and be happy with him. SURE! A month after I had him, he demanded a doll of his own. It devolved from there. After all, what's Ciel with out Sebastian, right? (anime freak that I am). And then I did my 'civic' duty and hooked a friend in Austrailia, who I think is now up to 3 or 4 dolls? O_o

Of all the 'silly things' to spend money on, BJDS are the best. Silly me for holding out so long. I look at my shoe collection and think: What the hell, I could have had more dolls for all that money!

5. One of my best friends, sunnymadhouse, hooked me; she used to bring her one doll, Byrd, everywhere. We started searching online, and she went above and beyond to find dolls in my price range. I'm so glad she did; I now have three. :hug:

6. I saw some dolls at a convention I was at and the girl who owned them was not very friendly so I never got to ask what kind of doll it was. A few years later and I had not forgotten the doll but the details were fuzzy and I bought a Pullip but that was not quite the doll I was looking for so I just started searching dolls. Eventually I finally found a bjd and well the rest is history.

7. someone who used to go to concerts together introduced me to her BJD collection.

8. I'd never actually heard of them or seen one before until I found one on eBay once! It's sad but I very rarely get to see others in real life, only online. No one I know has anything to do with them at all, they all judge me D: So I blame the internet for getting me hooked!!

9. This is so close to what happened to me, just with different dates. Came across bjds in 2011 while internet browsing another type of doll I sew for, thought "those are awesome but too expensive", kept looking around the internet, eventually found Elfdoll's website and saw the Rita sculpt, decided she was worth the money, bought her in 2013, and now at the end of 2014 I have 5 bjds. I don't know anyone in real life that even knows what a bjd is (other than my 14 year old daughter, who now has 3 of her own) and I didn't make contact with anyone online either until I was already in the process of ordering my first doll. I have always been an independent learner about anything I am interested in, so it was the natural course for me to look everything up and learn about the dolls on my own.

10. I think I came around after hearing about these trough internet few times, and someone I knew from roleplay-forum was getting a littlefee Ante. I was being just curious and I slowly got in to the rabbit hole. :D I don't think I really knew personally any bjd-owners back when I started, I had never even hold one before I got my first one. :3 So I wasn't so much dragged not - I was simply consumed by my own curiosity. xD

11. Soom. And Pipos. Soom keeps me hooked though...to this day.

12. A K-horror film introduced me, then RS Mei hooked me.

13. [MENTION=56700]elijahfeathers[/MENTION] hooked me. She sent me links to iplehouse and to sDink's face up live journal. She also helped me buy my very first doll! I owe her a lot, but my wallet hates her. XD

14. [MENTION=25508]darksnight[/MENTION] was the person who showed me BJDs, I thought they were a bit odd at first but pretty cool. After some nosing around on my own I found Iplehosue and well... xD

15. One of my best friends from childhood found out that I liked them. She got so excited and gave me that extra push. Although, I know so many people online who have gorgeous dolls, I think it was just a matter of time.

16. I saw one on DeviantArt. At first I thought it was just a really pretty person. :P I got re-obsessed when I saw several in the guro Lolita tag on Tumblr.

17. I think for me, what got me hooked was the internet. I think I was researching wigs so I could cosplay as my OC and found bjd wigs...and then it branched off from there. XD