1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Bambicrony Recomendation for Colored Elf Care -LSG fades too

Apr 17, 2007

1. Here's a link on MSC UV-cut
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130479

2. Thanks, AreeElf!

Seems odd that more people haven't mentioned this, since I'm pretty sure most of the faceups running aound out there have MSC UV-cut sprayed on them!

I got a reply from Bambicrony on the Q&A board. I said I was concerned about the color-changes reported and would be happy to wait for my LSG Pepe to be delivered if the problem could be fixed. They said:

We understand what you're worrying about.
      I'm sorry to say this, but the yellowing of resin dolls, especially MBS is inevitable.
      The best way to remain color is that you should spray UV coating on the body regularly and keep the doll out of the sunlight.
      We developed MBS in 2006 and have kept the dolls out of sunlight without UV coating. As a result, there's no yellowing.

Thanks.

3. MBS meaning...?

4. Not sure... That's the difficulty with non-native speakers--or with typos?

I was guessing the MB might be Misty Blue? Not sure about the "S."

5. Maybe they mean Misty Blue plural ... MistyBlueS = MBS.

That's my guess, anyway.

6. MBS (methyl methacrylate butadiene styrene) resin its usually an additive to PVC resin.

MBS resins products are graft copolymers of methyl methacrylate(M),butadiene(B) and styrene. It is used for modified PVC to make it have special performances or improve its comprehensive performances. MBS resins have extensive applications and are almost used for all transparent PVC as impact modifier, such as PVC transparent bottles, transparent sheets and transparent films etc., and can also used for high impact opaque PVC products as tubular products and pipe fitting

I can ask my brother-in-law who has a doctrate in chemistry more about MBS resin.

7. I'm wondering if the yellowing elves are either a batch problem or possibly reaction to too much UV-cut coating. I know the elf in the yellowing alert post was sprayed all over with MSC.

I need to find my UV lamp as I said I have a spare hand of my elf half coated in normal msc. I want to expose it to as much UV as possible and see what happens

8. AreeElf--informative, as always! Thanks!

The MSC-uv experiment would be interesting. I heard that Volks was going to start carrying a replacement for MSC-uv... maybe I'll wait to get ahold of that and try spraying it on my Kumi... at least it'll make me feel a bit easier about taking her out of her blanket!

And maybe the problem IS a batch problem. Do we know if the two (I think) examples of fading that have been reported so far are from the same batch? And which batch it is?

I'm not exactly sure what batch mine is from... She's a full-set without dollflower eyes, but I had her sent from the member who bought the full-set and kept the outfit, and was shipped out around March 14.

So far, no fading that I can see (although I haven't examined her in all lights... She was pretty even in color when she came. Maybe the tip of one finger is a little lighter in color, that's all. She had some sort of shiny stuff on parts of her... maybe mold-release? I still need to get that off parts of her, but it doesn't really bother me.

9. My Mistyblue that has the yellowing around the elbows was not sprayed with MSC on the body, just the face, and the face is fine :)

10. yeah, I'm kinda stumped here. There are a lot of colored elves out there and not all of them are yellowing.

Also MBS, the way they say it, it sounds like it's in all their dolls not just the colored elves? sooo... have previous BC owners had yellowing issues like this?

seems like it's not nessesarily a MSC problem since Wee_Little_Faerie's wasn't coated and still yellowed.

11. I do have to say though, the yellowing, in normal lighting conditions, doesn't show up at all (of course, that could be because I always overexpose him *coughcough*) ... but I'd truly doubt that in any photograph you'd notice the yellowing right off.

12. so then it's not really a huge deal in your case then, it's notn like "OMG YELLOW!"?

13. Well, if you have the doll in your hands and are looking at his inner elbows, you might be inclined to think OMG yellow... but from what I've seen in photographs, it just ends up looking lighter or greenish... which for me isn't a big deal... but I would definately say he's yellowed to a degree that would bother someone who wanted them to stay blue. (if that makes any sense... lol!)

His face, which I coated in MSC when I gave him a faceup, hasn't yellowed at all though.

14. Nope I have a normal skin roko and she definitely is a different resin from the colored elves. She's not changed at all. Bambicrony did mention before that they were planning on switching to french resin on the normal skin and snowskin in the future so maybe they were testing MBS for that too. Who knows if they still will do french resin after this.

15. Yes, but I didn't spray her on the headcap, which was also yellow on the surface even through her wig, frighteningly enough. Since her hands don't match anymore, I'm tempted to take one pair outside, coat one in MSC UV, and one with nothing. My theory is that the MSC UV Cut did absolutely nothing to stop the yellowing. Or... if it did, it helped VERY minimally. Even in very indirect sunlight she seems to have yellowed even more.

I guess she's going to be my little vampire baby, and only come out in the dark. I've got her stored in a drawer for now. Complete darkness seems to be the *only* way to stop it.

16. again, I wonder if after a while the color will stop yellowing. Poor little vampire baby.

17. it's happening through the wig? I seriously doubt that's a sunlight effect. And their recommebdation to spray with a product that no longer exists seems, well... a bit like no help at all.

18. I was assuming MBS stood for Misty Blue Skin, actually.

19. Hmmm... I wonder how many Misty Blues aren't changing so fast? It sounds as if it may be a batch Problem? Or maybe people just aren't reporting fading so far?

20. At least with the pink on I found it does stabilize to a uniform color after prolonged exposure. I just need to take a picture on the weekend