1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Batchix Dark Castle "Machina" (Alpha Edition) discussion part 1

Sep 18, 2007

1. They both have really cool eyes, don't they?

2. Thank You PoeticSoul and StellaMaria!

I so adore both of your Machina's so Wow Thank YOU!

I dont have any MSC, will have to figure out how to get some. I only have Krylon matte finish, thats what I used for Tiggys mani and pedi, but I dont know how it would do on Machina, so I best get the MSC.

So far, aside from her lines, which you wont believe this, but I actually did those with my fountain pen. Totally heretical, doll wise and pen wise! But I just couldnt figure out anything fine enough (a very expensive option however as fountain pen nubs are Crazy expensive!)

I am simply in awe of that corset! Thats a simply amazing degree of creativity! And StellaMaris - how did you get the antiquing paint splatter finish? I so want to do something like that, because I think maybe I could possibly manage that - but how do you do that?

So far aside from my penmanship on her lines, I have been using PAINTERS metallic pens for her helmet, but these are really unwieldy. I really dont want to mess up the tattoing that Batchix did along her body, so I actually have been pretty stymied on her for some time.

If Tiggy Ever tells me her name, maybe I can ask Machina LOL!

Yep those gear eyes and little Tiggys bugly eyes go sooooo good together! I totally Love PoeticSouls idea and now I just do think of Machina as someone Tiggy had built just for her!

3. Tiggy seems perfectly capable of building a Machina.
      I used layers of acrylic crafting metallic paint and clear based glitter paints on Blue Nova, and I did it in layers. I got everything at Micheals, nothing was exotic. The MSC I had already, where did I get that from? I also have some Volks spray, pretty much the same thing, I think you can order it from Volks USA.

4. DollZwize, if you're located in the USA, Junkyspot currently has MSC in stock. Here's the link (Just click on supplies in the left hand column and that will take you to the right page.) http://junkyspot.com/obindex.html

5. ThanX! There are 2 kinds one is flat and the other flat UV cut? Which should i order?

6. Either is just fine. The UV cut has an additive that diminishes UV rays to prevent yellowing. A lot of people use it. I've used both, and they'll both give you a perfectly flat, clear finish (MSC is awesome!) It just depends on whether you're worried about yellowing or not...like if you're planning to take them out in the sun much, etc.

7. Thanks so much - will order now!!!! YaaaY!

8. So cool! You'll find MSC is handy to have anyway.

9. Machina has a new charge!
      [​IMG]

10. OMGosh how cute! So let me get this straight, she's Machina's new charge but Tiggy is in charge of Machina, right?

11. Yep, Phaedra is Machina's new charge and of Course Tiggy is in charge of Everyone - Including Me! LOL!!!!!

12. Why do I keep hearing in my head "So, what are we going to do tonight, Tiggy? Same thing we do every night, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!"

13. LOL! - Too True! - LOL!!!!!

14. I love your little grouping, DollZwize...I just adore the way the machinas fit into such unique storylines. It seems like they're a natural for that sort of thing...which is part of the reason I believe they all come out looking so different from one another. Your little cast of characters looks to be so much fun and I can't wait to see what happens next!

15. Greetings PoeticSoul - I so Totally agree. There just is something so incredibly special about these Machina's and how they add so much dimension and are able to morph into any grouping so uniquely.

I really almost brought her along to Tiggy's adventure at the Gaithersburg Antique Doll show today - The Steampunk possibilities would have been Endless I kept thinking all day LOL!

But there were some other dolls that needed various things, some of which we did indeed find. SoTiggy's being a tiny resin doll amidst Thousands of Antique Dolls - it was a Ton of fun. Will be getting installments up over the next few days on Tiggy's blog.

How Ever did you come up with those amazing corset and interlocking filligree designs on your Machina - what was your process for bringing her forth like that? I am so utterly intrigued.

16. Well, DollZwize, Quadrophenia's back story is that she was created by a crazy old inventor to keep his 8-track tapes and Quadrophonic 8-track music system running, cleaned, and repaired back in the 1960s/70s. (Anyone from back in that time can tell you that those old 8 track tapes and systems had to be repaired on a frustratingly regular basis because the tapes were always getting stuck in the machines!):lol: Of course, then smaller cassette tapes and players became the big thing, so he deemed her obsolete by the late 70s and locked her away in an old trunk with the 8-track player and all the 8-track tapes. She was re-discovered at a flea market by a kindly old pair of hippies who purchased the locked trunk and she was finally set free (although she's still expected to keep the 8-track player and 8-track tapes in good working order.);)

Anyway, (sorry, long story!):lol: I came up with the striped corsette and leggings because that was a fashion style back in the late 60s/70s. You can't see it very easily in most poses, but her helmet is painted with a 60s/70s paisley pattern, the legs are painted with 60s flowers, hearts, polkadots, etc, and the interlocking lace on her arms and neck was a fashion biggie at that time too. So basically, she's painted up as though she took every fashion trend from that time and mixed it all up. After all, I figured she had a lot of time to decorate herself locked away in a trunk for 35 years and because she's a robot, she doesn't quite "get" human fashion...she' tries really hard though.:) I then "distressed her finish deliberately just in case her paint job gets any scratches or chips in the future, it will just blend in. So that's the long story of Quadrophenia's paintjob...and it took me an entire month to do it. I worked very slowly, making it up as I went.:sweat

17. Very groovy PoeticSoul! Quadrophenia is so intricate, I am not surprised it took you that long to paint her.
      For me that was the fun of doing Blue Nova, the evolution.

18. PoeticSoul - I am dashing about trying to touch base before my looming week swallows me whole. I will be back so much more after these next 9 days, but I wanted to Thank you so very much for sharing your process with her backstory and how you went about creating her - Omigosh how totally inspiring - I will have a ton more questions - and hopefully some MSC in just over a week!! Many Many Thanks!

And in the meantime, as I should be able to at least read posts at points - StellaMaris and everyone else! - Please also share what your process, storyline, back scene, creative process is with your Machinas - I am soooo Fascinated and inspired - Many Thanks PoeticSoul, Stella Maria and All!

19. :lol: I thought I would post some work in progress spam, here is Cassiopaea half way through.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Her Left eye is an iridescent marble in pink and copper she has been painted sanded and drilled...I've added cogs and gears to her headphones and other parts and so far she has been under construction for weeks!! She is painted in amixture of copper and bronze paint and I've rubbed it off so she looks all worn and old.

I will add her to the database when she is done along with her backstory. Having fun finding out about her!

thanks for looking (I think she likes me a bit more now);)

20. Wow! She already looks amazing, pea. Great work--very imaginative.