1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Batchix Dark Castle "Machina" (Alpha Edition) discussion part 1

Sep 18, 2007

1. Wow, demented pea, she's looking absolutely awesome! Brilliant idea about those headphones...I love her already...and I can't wait to see her finished and read more about her. It's so wonderful how all these Machinas look completely different and unique.

2. Thank you for your kind comments. I was a bit unsure about her look. She seems to have mnd of her own!
      I am a little disapointed in the cast though as she has one leg shorter than the other and despite a re-string she will not stand! Just flops forward rather alarmingly and I can't get her upper hip joints to look right although she was re-strung correctly( I think).

How can resin have such a strong personality? she is very bossy and if I do something wrong she manages to look thoroughly affronted! I am afraid to put weapons in her hand... although she does adore her owner!(NOT me, Aleckzande) I have had dolls before with character but this one!!!!

I really love the look Quadrophenia has its brilliant and my other fave is Blue nova i wish Cass was half as well done as them.

3. demeted pea, I think Casseopia is amazing! I love her ornate look. Stop making me want a Lilac Machina, you two! I'm actually hoping for the release of that cute boy, poke poke to Batchix.
      Machinas definitely have a mind of their own.
      DollzWize, now you are making me think! I actually posted her opening, which had a little of her mysterious story, I'll have to dig that up, LOLz.

4. Oh, she's well on her way to being absolutely spectacular, demented pea! There's no doubt about that! I love all the bits and pieces you have added to her...it looks really brilliant. I wouldn't worry about the leg thing. Mine has one leg a tiny bit shorter as well, but she can stand like a rock when I want her to. Trick might be in the stringing, because when she does, I swear she has a bit of a cocky thrust with one of her legs that makes her look full of attitude. As if she needed anymore of that! I think these dolls tend to have tons of attitude for some strange reason...certainly more than most other dolls. They can be demanding...I swear Quadrophenia gets treated like a real person around here, only more spoiled...and she has my husband, who's not into dolls at all, wrapped around her little finger!

5. Must NOT buy another doll.....must NOT buy another doll.....must NOT buy another doll.....

The things you all have done with your Machinas.....amazing....inspiring....she is so beautiful and so incredibly unique!

I am oh-so-dangerously drawn to her....

Must NOT buy another doll.....

6. But gatodelsol, Machina is not like another doll, she is completely unique, and besides, think of the $$ you will save not having to buy her clothes or a wig.
      I didn't think I needed her either, and then I saw one IRL, and it was over.

7. Yes, gatodelsol...you...know...you...want...one!!! We're big enablers on this thread;)~but it's not our fault that these robots are taking over. They're just so unique, so full of personality, and so gosh darn different in each person's hands. Whether the owner is a seasoned faceup artist or a newcomer, each Machina seems to take on a wonderful character that's like no other Machina. She really brings out the creativity in everybody. Don't know why...maybe her creator used magic. That must be it it...Batchix is a witch!!!:o Ha! Ha!:lol:

Oh hey, while I'm at it, has anyone seen the cool new metal and urethane gear eyes at Denver Doll Emporium? (Can't remember the maker's name right off the bat, but they're listed with a "new" tag in the eyes section.) They're fabulous and they have quite a few left in 12mm. Not my Quadrophenia's style, but might look awesome great on somebody else's girl.

8. Oh, you guys are baaaaad!!! I shouldn't be hangin' out here! ;)

Stella Maris, great minds think alike....I'd already considered the "money saving" aspect of not having to buy clothes and wigs for her!! (Right, I'll save money by buying her?!?!! We are SO good at justification!! Hey, here's another good one: in today's ecomony, this is probably one of the wisest investments out there!).

And PoeticSoul, you are so right about how different each one is. I think what really appeals to me is she really lends herself to playing, and painting, and customizing - she was made for it, and you don't have to be an artist (which I'm not, but it sure looks like there are a lot of accomplished artists here!!) to do some really cool things with her!! You may be right - there may be magic in her! (DollZwize, guess that would explain the attraction, eh? We know about magic mixed in with the resin, eh?!)

Urethane gear eyes?! I have to go take a peek! (Does Machina really take 12mm eyes? Looking at her, I would've guessed at least 14).

I so should have stayed in "lurking" mode....(I already have a name for her.....I'm doomed.)

P.S. I also looove her size!! I was actually surprised when I first discovered her that she was not SD-size!

9. Yes, 12mm is perfect for her. Some people have used 14mm, but those will pretty much be all iris with little white showing. Quadrophenia is wearing 12mm EDs now, and before, she was wearing 12/13mm eyeco eyes. (It's funny with sculpts sometimes...like those big SD sized EID muscle boys by Iplehouse. As huge as they are, They only take 12mm eyes!)

You know, once you choose a name, it's all downhill from there! (It means that their personalities have already begun to grow in your mind and you'll soon be a gonner.);)

10. I have a pic of my Machina with a gear eye (Bekka eye) on page two of this thread. They are perfect for her.

11. Gatodelsol, she is a wonderful doll really there is nothing like her out there and the attitude is something else...
      I am really pleased with mine and she is slightly smaller than my other MSD's which seems right.
      I would have chosen a blue one if there had been the choice but the lilac is so delicate, a really nice shade.

I love everyones machinas as they are all so different, it makes me want another to do another paintjob on!.....must not buy more dolls! I am not even looking right now as I have a big doll bill to pay my husband back for his kind loan!!!!

aaaahhhhhh so many dolls so few machinas;)

Thanks everyone for all the entusing over Cass' she and I really appreciate it.:lol:

12. Wow Demented Pea - I totally Love your process pics! Cass is looking Amazing! Please keep posting pics as you go - this is Fascinating! I think you are doing a wonderful job! I wish I had more courage about the whole thing.

Well, lets see what happens when MSC gets here YipEE!

Hey I have a question I cant seem to figure out how to keyword search - but are there forms somewhere on how to fill out or flesh out the character of your dolls? I see people talking about them, and there are different sheets on some pages - but is there a central character sheet where you can begin to explore more about your doll and build or centralize her character?

Gatodelsol - You will ADORE having a Machina - she is utterly different from any other doll but has a spunk and spirit just is inherently inspiring and uplifting. I too saw one and was like GAH! Must Have! I got her for my birthday and she is so endlessly interesting, and somehow fits in in utterly unique and interesting ways with all my other dolls - Oh Leap - you will Not regret it, she isnt even expensive and oh the customizations are just limitless - and somehow no matter what she just looks utterly amazing. Go Ahead and leap! She can protect all your other dolls quite ably!

Ok, just quick for now - but keep it coming folks - I am LOving all the sharing on here about Machina - I will catch up with All thats been written and all the more you all post next week - Whee How cool the Machinas are gathering!!!!

13. DollZwize, if you put your pointer on the top tool bar and click where it says "search" you will be able to enter a word for searching. There are also search functions built in to every forum and thread.
      As far as I know, no one has done what you were talking about, but maybe you should look in "Doll Memes". Otherwise, you can start a thread!
      In the databases, usually the Original Poster makes a form that people copy so they can write about their doll's characters, and also give just statistics, like model, skintone and so on.

14. Thanks for the eye info, PoeticSoul, and yes, I know....once you choose a name..... Oh dear. :nowords: At this point, the decision is not if, but when. (I have to let the budget recover from a few other purchases!)

DollZwize, aahh, another enabler here. :) I'm sure I won't regret getting her - she's just too unique! I know what you mean re: wanting more courage in this process...although I'm excited about it, I know I will feel the same way when it actually comes time to put brush to resin! Once you get your MSC, though, you can go crazy because you can "save" what you like, then keep adding to it without having to worry about ruining what you've already done!

demented pea, I was going to suggest you open up a "Machina face-up shop", which would allow you to play with more Machinas, and pay your husband back at the same time. :) I'm wondering, though, if you would have much business. Don't get me wrong - you have incredible talent (your Cass is just amazing). What I'm thinking, though, is this: a great deal of the appeal of Machina (at least for me, and from what I've read here, I'm not alone!!) is she invites so much more flexibility in making her your own. As someone else pointed out here, you don't have to be an accomplished face-up artist to have fun with painting/customizing her! The very nature of her sculpt and her character actually invite imperfections and oddities, something different, something unique, colors and effects you wouldn't use on a "human" doll. So while I wouldn't dream of attempting a faceup on another doll whose arrival I am anxiously awaiting, I am excited at the thought of taking paint and pastels and who knows what else to a Machina.

I'd be interested in others thoughts on this....would you have someone else customize your Machina?

15. Ahh now Gatadelsol thats interesting as machina is the only doll I've really gone to town on!

I think she lends herself to everyones own ideas for her more so than any other sculpt I have seen. I wouldn't want to do a face up etc for anyone else on her as she is so independant and everyone "gets" her in a different way.

I would love to do face ups for a livng but I would be scared to screw up someones beloved doll!!!! Its ok if its your own you just wipe and redo but what if it was a really expensive doll and it got damaged or lost...aaaaaaaaaaahh!

If anyone is thinking of a machins they should commit to buy as they say on that famous website.
      Thanks for the really nice comments about her paint too it makes me feel better about stuff.

16. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This Cass' on her speeder which I built form a motorbike kit and many warhammer and airfix models!...she wasn't painted then

This her finished and being pose-y and her owner Alekzande Rook with small modded 'bot called Mr Shouty:o close up of him below. He is a robot from the Ben10 series.

[​IMG]

Cass' has mr shouty and another 'bot who is an obitsu 27cm boy painted black and heavily modded with warhammer and airfix bits...Cass' wants to make one herself now(sighs)

[​IMG]

his another of her finished, if you click on them you will get into my photobucket album and they can be seen bigger.;)

17. I'm so impressed, Pea. Your Machina is amazing. I feel that mine is naked by comparison:lol:. Maybe I'll get brave and add something to her one of these days.
      I'm glad you found something you liked from the Ben10 series too.
      Great pictures.

18. DP, you are really something! I am so impressed with all the stuff!

19. phanuel, is that a 12mm you have in your girl? Just trying to get a sense of size with the "gear" eyes, since they're not iris and white! They're very cool! Love your Rho Beta, too. I'm just so amazed at these girls - you mention yours just has "factory paint", but she is still so unique - the eyes, the wig, beads and chains - she is very much her own (your own) Machina!! I love it!

20. demented pea, wow, wow and wow! She is amazing. I love the speeder, too. The finished Cass on the speeder I could totally see in some upscale gallery!! I repeat....wow. (Love your Alekzande Rook, too!)