1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Batchix Dark Castle "Machina" (Alpha Edition) discussion part 1

Sep 18, 2007

1. OK, so being a "newbie" to Machina, and here in this thread...I'm going back through the previous posts again and loving all the pics again, and I just had to pop back in and say wow, wow, and wow to Poetic Soul and Stella Maris, as well!!!!! Holy cow!!!! Stella Maris, the "distressed" look to your subtle shades combined with the glittery shimmery - oh my, so beautiful. And Poetic Soul, another completely unique and different look, another completely awesome look - the intricate detail on the arms, the soft, faded design on the legs. I am in the midst of greatness here in this thread!!! Seriously, I'm just blown away by these girls.

And DollZwize, your Machina's tattooing is lovely! Even if you did nothing more to her, she'd be perfect! They obviously lend themselves to as little or as much customization as one's little heart desires! :)

OK, I'll come down off my rave to ask a question: what mediums did you all use? Pastels? Watercolors? Acrylics? All of the above? Something completely different?

I'm dangerously close to NOT waiting for the budget to recover. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.....(makes it even harder knowing they are in stock and ready to ship!!! What, no 3 month wait?! :nowords: ).

2. gatodelsol, thanks so much for your kind comments on my Quadrophenia. She'll be thrilled! Since you asked, I used pastels, watercolor pencils and acrylics on her.:) I took my time, and let her slowly evolve over the period of a month. It was more fun for me that way...like I was letting "her" inspire me as I went along. It truly was like, "Okay Quadrophenia, what shall we do today?" Sounds crazy but it's absolutely true.:lol: These robots have such strong characters.

3. Yes, I'm pretty sure it was a 12 mm.

I'm interested to hear so many of you say that your Machinas have forceful or domineering personalities.
      Rho Beta is a little different. She seems to have a bit of trouble finding just what her place is in the world of humans. She is somewhat unsure of herself and tends to imitate the people around her. Reminds me a bit of Data on Star Trek.
      But she is coming along just fine.:)

4. I used some acrylic paints from Games workshop as they are really good on resin.
      Any good quality acrylic paint will do.
      I didn't use pastel this time but I may as I get used to her. I mostly used the painting on and rubbing off technique! so that she loos won. It can be saved with msc and many layers can be added over a period of time.
      Take your time because she will probably evolve over time. I am not sure Cass' is really finished I think she may need extras as they occur to me and her of course.

5. oh you all are so dangerous! Im not sure if I want to leap for machina alpha or wait for epsilon and beta.... oh decisions!

6. ;)Oh go on you know you want to... you can always have one of the others another time! Sorry I am a bad influence...:lol:

You know what evry time I want to chat to you guys it is the middle of the night for you ! I keep forgetting the time difference sorry...

7. Listen! You people! Machina is AMAZING! Totally different from anything else out there. Now if only she would make a vampire elf. Just kidding! And for the record, there's lots of vampires and elves over here.
      You know you want one.
      And demented pea, yes, I only talk about dollies in my head in the middle of the night. Otherwise they'd have me committed.
      gatodelsol, thanks for your nice comments on Blue Nova. One of the fun things that come with Machina ownership is definitely the evolution of the "paint job". But she would also be great just plain, like the first one I saw, who was Batchix original girl I believe.
      On Blue Nova I used acrylic craft paints, from Micheal's mostly, the brand is DecoArt, the types Metallic Elegant Finish (a wash that comes in a variety of colors, you can build up the opacicity) and Craft Twinkles (it's like a clear with sparkles)

8. Gaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!! I leapt!! I JUST ORDERED MY LOVELY LILAC MACHINA!!!! (Dang, I give the best Christmas presents!! ;) )! You crack me up, Stella Maris...."Listen! You people!" LOL!! (Your request for a vampire elf had me rolling!) Come on, ArouraAnn, you're next! I promise - it didn't hurt a bit! ;) (In fact, it was a relief !)

Now I'm so glad I didn't get rid of my "practice" head - I can use it to play around with colors, practice different effects, etc etc! Oooh, lessee, I already have pastels, watercolor pencils, MSC (I'm sure I'll need more of that!)....that'll do for a start! Thanks so much for all the feedback re: what you used to create your lovely girls!!

PoeticSoul, it doesn't sound the least little bit crazy the way Quadrophenia evolved. I have a feeling with this girl, if you don't hear her speaking to you, you need to turn down the background noise!!

And demented pea, I love your comment that Cass may not even be finished! It seems these girls will continually evolve and grow and change.....yet another statement they make....nothing is static - everything changes.

OK, enough contemplative drivel (sheesh, if this is what I'm like before she even arrives....I can't help it, though....your Machinas are all so inspiring and their evolution is fascinating! And Stella Maris, although I did find it most amusing, I totally understand your emphatic statements re: how AMAZING she is!!!)

Happy, happy me!! :dance

9. Congratulations!!!!!!!! You are going to love her, I promise. If you don't you are welcome to come up north and yell at me in person.
      I crack myself up on a daily basis I tell you. And I know, the use of caps and exclamation points are really inexcusable for a writer. Or anyone who took HS English for that matter, but hey, it's a dolly forum, where the word squee is a commonly used verb.
      Just as an aside, I found painting Blue Nova to be a unique face/body up experience, very unlike the "normal" faceup. You have a lot of freedom with her sculpt, it boggles the mind. Well my mind was boggled anyway, as you can imagine all sorts of backstory stuff as you go, yes DollzWize, thinking of you, unlike the usual, pink, brown, black, grey look, it's a faceup.

10. Hooray, gatodelsol, for ordering your Machina! More Machinas on DoA!:dance Quadrophenia and I are thrilled for you...you're going to have so much fun. Let the creativity flow!:D I can't wait to see what you come up with.:)

11. Yay!!! for machinas way to go another lilac one. I can't wait to see her, its almost as good as another one for myself.

And happy Christmas to you gatodelsol, great present!!

Stella maris is right painting machina is a totally unique experience and so much more liberating than a "normal" doll. Wit machina you do anything. Thats why its takes so long and of course they have their own opinions about what they like!

12. Thank you all so much for your congrats and enthusiasm for my incoming Machina! It really adds to my excitement and anticipation! And I so like the word "liberating" in reference to customizing this doll! In thinking about painting her, that's exactly how it feels - liberating!

And she should be here very soon! I received order confirmation and notice that she has been inspected and will ship either Monday or Tuesday, so I should have her by the end of the week! :dance

13. The thing about painting a Machina that is great is there is no wrong, and for me I didn't have to worry about going over layering, as that only adds to her look.
      I am a painter, but I usually work in oil or watercolor pencil, so doing resin faceups was a bizarre experience for me. I am used to being able to smudge my way out of a bad choice, but with resin it's the one strike and you're out rule.

14. Oh Stella Maris I know just what you mean! I am a painter too( among other things) and usually you can get out of a mistake just by painting it out! but my first face up!!!!!! aaaahhhh it was so scary. but with Machina I have been brave and just done it as I would with a canvas! An artist friend told me I should see my dolls as canvases but she is the first reall attempt to do that.

I just wish I'd thought of either the Tardis or te musical box idea first... you have no idea how hard it was not to copy.........I know as a professional that you NEVER do that to another artist so the fact hat Cass' had some quite distinct ideas herself was a relief.

Oh and Stella Maris I know you are a tinybear fan and I tink you have one of the red Moonas I want(drool)

15. Major Tinybear fangirl here, I have a Pink big Moona, a blue and green Mere-mina, a Dark Tan lil Mina, a blue lil Moona, and a big red Mina. Whoops forgot my green Cocoa.
      I love the colorful resins, they are really fun to paint. However as far as seeing other dolls as a canvas, hmm. Seeing as you can't smudge or rub anything out unless you do it in a nano-second, I don't know about that. I think I like some of the toothier resins for that reason though. Once I found out (after doing faceups for two years) that you could spray the MSC and set layers with it, well cue the shining light and the angels singing.

16. Ah love the moonas and minas. I have large light tan Bracken, a tiny green bracken, a tiny NS moona and an incoming large NS Mina...want more. I love the merminas that will be my next thing.
      I love coloured resins, I think thats why I like the machinas too as the colours give such a different look. I think any of our paint jobs would give a completely unique look if reproduced on another colour.

17. I'm planning to get a Tinybear Zack w/merman ears. (The only reason I hadn't ordered yet is I'm debating whether to get normal skin or white. And of course now I've (over)spent my doll budget on Machina! *_* )

And speaking of Machina (thus back on-topic!)....she's been delayed! I had to chastise myself a bit at initially being so upset - her shipping was only delayed by a couple of days (now scheduled for Thursday). Just means I probably won't have her this weekend. Had to remind myself the wait for most dolls is months, so I need to chill! ;)

18. When I ordered Cass' she was delayed by two weeks and I was completely distraught... Th elongest I have ever waited is three-ish months(doll is now on the way) and I just was even more upset when my MSC ran out before machina despatch so Cass' had to wait for any work to be done after she arrived.

I am about the most impatient person ever... waiting for dolls is the worst. There is nowhere in the UK to buy dolls in the flesh and very few doll fairs either so I always have to buy from the US or Asia.

You will love your girl I look forward to her arrival.

19. Whoa, thanks for the reminder re: MSC!! I have enough to get started, but I meant to order more!! (Considering Machina is full-body project, I would imagine you go through quite a bit!)

I am so glad my delay was only two days, and not two weeks! I agree....waiting for dolls is the worst! :) I feel like I'm 6 years old again, waiting for Christmas morning! I have to admit, in this age of "instant gratification", there is something to be said for having to wait for something. It makes it that much more special and exciting when you finally have it in hand!

20. Thats true about the waiting and appreciating...Although I do worry that i will have gone off the boil so to speak when the doll gets here. I am a bit less impulsive now buying dolls than I used to be.