1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Beautifull BJDs Why are they imposible to get and why doesn’ t any company make such

Aug 12, 2010

1. While they're not my style, I can certainly appreciate the artistry in the jointing (not a fan at all of the faces)
      I think the difference really is that with joints like that it's a very, European looking BJD in terms of joints.It reminds me specifically of the joints Hans Bellmer used for his dolls. The ABJD has very specific aesthetics, which is why DoA has certain criteria for a doll to be on-topic. I think one of those might be that the ball joint was streamlined to make the body look more natural in ABJD's unlike the emphasis on the ball-socket joints.

2. So, I'm a huge fan of Hans Bellmer and Ryo Yoshida's work, and I love love love the way they do dolls, but I think I prefer them as an artistic piece rather than a doll. If someone gave me a Yoshida doll, I would be terrified of taking it out whatsoever as I feel like I've put them in an "art" category, while my BJD's are put into "art/toy" category.

:) Maybe I'm just silly like that, but I think I prefer to admire Yoshida's work as art rather than as something I would take out or play with!

3. Maybe having all-spherical-ball-joints throughout the whole body works fine for those babydoll types you're talking about. But frankly lots of us don't DO babydolls. Lots of us prefer more mature faces and bodies, with advanced-engineering joint systems & hidden joints that don't puff out and ruin the look of a long slender/muscular limb. This babydoll in the OP has joints like an artist's mannequin. Its body looks primitive-- which is, after all, the idea. It's that whole faux-retro thing.

If you want a doll with this look so badly, then start saving those pennies for a Lusion. If you want an old-school-baby-looking-puff-jointed doll, she's definitely your girl.

(But every time I see one of those Lusions, I still cannot help singing "Gigantor... Gigaaaa~aantor... Gigaaaaa~aaaa~aaantor...")

4. I think they look nice and I like them, but part of what got me into BJD was their posability. With a joint that is nothing but a ball, they can't really do half the poses a modern BJD can. There are a couple artists, I'm sure, that make faces that look like that, though...

5. What's beautiful and what's not is veeery subjective.
      I for example think these dolls are far away from being beautiful, on the other side you think those are gorgeous.
      When it comes to the joints... double jointed BJD still have ball joints (shoulder, thigh...) only some of them were replaced for more posability.

6. I've noticed this too, how a lot of the newer molds of BJD's dont have the BALL JOINTS, but instead their joints look more natural, not that im saying that its a bad thing for the joints to look natural and everything, but its just kinda lacking for me, but i know that DOD has kept the Ball Joint style, with my Ducan, his joints are all perfect little balls. So im happy for that.

On the pictures, the dolls body blushing is amazing, and everything seems so natural, i love it : D
      Thank you for posting the pics, and im sorry that i cant tell you who made these beauties.

7. I personally can't stand dolls that have child like faces AND proportions. The thing that I like about most dolls in general is that they are tiny people that AREN'T babies/children. It's so neat. Also, the porcelain doll look in general is lost on me. I hate to say it but, well, they scare the crap out of me! One too many horror movies I guess. Mind you, I do think they have their merits as artwork, but they just aren't for me.

Basically, I have noticed that ABJD companies do one thing best: LISTEN TO THEIR CUSTOMERS. I'm sure if you suggested it and there was enough interest from people, some company, somewhere would pick up on the idea! :)

As for the joint shape, I think it mainly refers to the joints that are found in humans, ie ball and socket joints. The idea of a ball and socket joint allows a doll to pose and stand far more freely than with other types of joints, and those different shapes of joints just add to that ability. Makers know that the posing and standing is what doll owners want, and that's what they work towards, even if that alters the shape a bit. We all know that when that goes a bit TOO far, that doll becomes 'off topic', but, like volks, those companies usually still make on topic dolls.

8. Ummm...They look like bloated dead babies to me -___-;;;;
      I think plenty of companies make gorgeous dolls, at least my wishlist is never dry.

9. Their joint structure is nice and they are surely unique and one of a kind but to me personally i quite like the ones companies make i think migidolls are some of the best but these particular dolls i don't personally find them very attractive

10. Cat ^..^ Thank you for the link! It’s a very interesting doll!

11. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

I find a lot of dolls creepy and this one is in that category since the round ball make me think of puppets. The realism also puts me off since it makes it too real and having one of these dolls would just crepp me out to no end.

I think most beautiful BJDs are quite easy to get even if they are limiteds or really rare there is always a chance to get them some way or another.

OOAK Dolls and Artist dolls though are harder to get and most of the time their "beauty" is loved by less people as they were made to match what the artist think is beautiful.

Like other people said, if it is not popular enough, companies will not put money into a doll that will not sell. Though some will do quantity limiteds and may do others if they sell well but it seems to be quite rare...

12. I do like the look of the second doll, and remember seeing some similar photos in Dollybird or another japanese mook a while back.

The face sculpt of the doll in the second photo reminds me very much of Alice in Labyrinth's Alice sculpt...you should check it out!

13. Personally I don't like the porcelain doll look and I find it to be more Western rather than Asian in aesthetic, which is why few of these dolls are on-topic for the forum.

However, I do have a doll with spherical joints - my Volks oldskin SD10 body has the crazy legs - and as much as I love this doll, her legs truly drive me insane if they're not wired. If all BJDs were required to have spherical joints I think I'd leave the hobby, it would be too frustrating to try and pose dolls like that. I also like the diversity of modern ball-jointed dolls.

14. I found the doll in the picture to be beautiful, but too child like for my tastes. And the dolls in the youtube video were stunning, despite how small they seemed. But it is surprising how realistic she looks. And the joints are pretty, but I'm with a lot of other people when I say I'd rather sacrifice some of that beauty for more poseability. I think if the joints in our dolls are no longer ball shaped, then we need to come up with a new title for them! Sphere jointed dolls? Oval jointed dolls? Just plain Jointed dolls? lol. It makes me think.

15. Erm, honestly, the doll in the pictures kind of creeps me out. But I'm not a fan of porcelain, super-realistic dolls. I prefer the somewhat anime look that many BJDs have. I would never in a million years buy a doll like that, but if that's what you love then that's great. But I would be very sad if BJD companies stopped making what they do now in favor of something like that.

16. Honestly, I don't believe "beautiful BJDs" are impossible to find. I consider all the sculpts I own beautiful, or else I would not have purchased them. It is simply a matter of preference.

While I appreciate the artistry of the doll the OP posted, I would never be interested in purchasing one for my own collection. Her aesthetics do not meet my needs, nor do I find the style enticing. It's just not my cup of tea.

17. I wonder if there isn't a bit of "uncanny valley" going on with the Yoshida doll posted as an example, and if it's the faceup that's the kicker (so to speak). I feel really uncomfortable looking at her because she looks too close to being a real dead little girl.

But I'd love to see more of this type of doll with a different aesthetic. I love Dollmore's Lusion. And even though their Lusion Ice Dahlia also could be taken to be a dead girl, I can't get enough of her (she's on my wishlist). I think it's because Ice Dahlia has a fantasy aesthetic, with white resin and purple lashes and the rest. She doesn't unnerve me at all.

The "look" I'd really love to see more of is like an off-topic bjd, Enchanted Dolls, with their mature sensuality and their integrated knee and elbow systems. Like Shinydoll's Fragille too. So many dolls to love, so few funds, sigh. ;)

18. An aside: Enchanted dolls are how I discovered the kind of bjds that are on this board. Having had the opportunity to play with a couple of them (including a yet-to-be-released resin one), I would say that they pose well more because of their internal spring system, than because of their joints. It's surprisingly hard to make them do certain kinds of poses (though they do an awesome job of holding every position), and, while the knee joints are great for some things, I personally found them kind of a pain because they bend rather more like two very long fingers, than a pair of human legs.

As for true ball-joints, I think I prefer them on art dolls, after the tradition of Bellmer, rather than as joints for resin dolls that I am going to spend a lot of time posing and photographing.

19. They are beautiful but more for collectors and not to be played often with. So I wouldn't want to see BJD companies to actually start making these type because I would not buy them. This is not in the same class as the BJD we talk about and collect in this board. It's not made with resin. Some of their hair is not even changeable and some of them the eyes are painted on. You don't re-customize it or change it once you buy it. It comes as it is as how the artists make it. And these are very very rare and are more for art purpose and not to play with. It's just the joints are ball jointed but the posibility is not nearly the same as BJD. I would imagine they also weigh a lot more ans is more fragile. So for me no.

I love my friend's Naruto dolls they are beautiful but, you must be very careful with them and treat them with care. Unlike BJD we are thinking of which you can take them out to meets and drag them around in your suite case, this you can't.