1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Beautifull BJDs Why are they imposible to get and why doesn’ t any company make such

Aug 12, 2010

1. TheGloaming~~ Have you checked out the company Alice in Labyrinth?;;; http://homepage3.nifty.com/aliceinlabyrinth/index.htm
      With the right make up and styling their dolls can look very much like the Koitsukihime dolls you have posted pictures of.
      I'm a HUGE fan of Koitsukihime and similar Japanese art dolls myself, it's because of dolls like that I got into BJDs in the first place!!^^

2. They're unique and I have never seen kinds like those but I personally prefer Dollzone or some other companies dolls. >< Though your opinion are your thoughts and what you like. :)

3. I love the beautiful (to my eye) and unusual too, but there are many resin dolls that can be adapted to the style of these artists by repainting and costuming. Koitsukihime dolls are nearly lifesize, so even if I had $40K lying around, I would probably not buy one because I prefer to play with and enjoy my dolls rather than just displaying them. There are several threads here about relatively unpopular and rare dolls that look different from the usual anime-type dolls that seem to be everywhere, and you might search for those to explore the type of doll that might interest you more.

4. The concept of beauty is extremely subjective, as some others have pointed out. While these dolls are, to you, the most beautiful, I do not find them all that pretty. The face sculpt and shape of the body reminds me of baby dolls, which I don't like at all. Sure, there is artistic merit in these dolls, and I know other people find them very beautiful, but there obviously isn't much of a demand (yet) for this style. However, there are some companies, which have already been mentioned that have sculpts with comparable features that could probably be made up to look fairly similar.

Personally, I don't care if companies make more dolls like these because I'm not at all interested in them and, if this is how all ball-jointed dolls looked, I would have never gotten into this hobby because I wouldn't find them beautiful. That's just because they aren't my style or what I'm looking for in terms of a character.

5. If you like them, to each their own. I personally think I haven't seen a doll so incredibly creepy in a while, and that's including the really creepy anime faced dolls. I only really like very realistic faces, such as mature Iplehouse dolls (they need to use a smaller sized eye in their promo pics, though) and the 60/70cm Souldolls. Also nice if the dolls didn't look like children or, worse, babies. Superb poseablility is also a requirement for me, so if every doll had unrealistic, single ball joints, I definitely would have never entered the hobby.

6. I tend to favor more mature, soft, and delicate sculpts/doll bodies over these kind.
      She looks very much like a small child and i don't particularly like children. That said, each person has their own individual tastes and likes, but i do believe there is a company out there that sells a doll similar to that, she's a 1/2 (i think, she was pretty big) and also looks like a little girl.
      maybe someone else here can point you in the right direction.

7. Wouldn't I? No, I wouldn't. She does nothing for me, although I can see that she's nicely detailed and painted and so forth.

"Beautiful BJDS" are everywhere. They come in all shapes, sizes and aesthetics. Check out the Gallery :) Some are long and angular, some have gore mods, some are short, squat and cute, and some are either highly realistic or highly stylized.

I guess the implication of the thread's title bothered me - sorry to sound grumpy.

8. I think the dolls you have posted are gorgeous, myself (I somewhat dislike the overtly anime aesthetic in BJD). I remember when I first found pictures of Koitsukihime dolls, I was reminded of Alice In Labyrinth, a favorite doll company of mine.

Like Lotte Rotten said, you may want to check them out.

Here is a picture of their MSD sized Alice doll:

[​IMG]

9. Yes ; it would be nice to see more bjds like those ^^

But not as large ... (most of those kind of bjds are around 80 cm ) ... or expensive ( some of those are around 1000 .. or more )

Katan amano and Hizuki dolls are very pretty too !!

10. I agree that it is a matter of taste. I think the dolls in the pics you posted are well made, and a very different style from what you usually see. As to whether I'd like to see more dolls like that or not, honestly, I wouldn't. They look too young for me, and too chubby. But if you like them, you should definitely get them! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and as long as you think a doll is beautiful, it should make no difference what anyone else thinks ^-^

11. Try adding a 0. :sweat According to the showroom and artist websites I've looked at, Koitsukihime and comparable Japanese artist dolls cost $10,000 and up, not $1000.

12. That's why I don't consider them remotely the same hobby as BJDs, they are not customizeable, they are too delicate or large to really play with and they are really expensive. I think of them as more of a true Fine Arts or Decorative Arts purchase and not just a really cool toy.

If I were really into buying dolls like those, I wouldn't be here playing with these dolls. I'd need every penny to go towards those. And honestly if I was going to invest in art, I'd go after pieces from turn of the previous centuries' illustrators!

13. Eh, they kinda remind me of porcelain dolls....I was never a fan.

14. I love art so I find them interesting to look at, in fact I would probably buy a photography book with such dolls. However, I don't imagine that would invest in that style of doll. It reminds me of the dolls my mother had when I was growing up, and while i liked them as a child... they're not my aesthetic preference. I want a balance of realism and stylization, and with certain doll sizes I have a maturity preference to go with that size. I realized I love pictures of mature slim minis such as minifee... but I HATED owning them. So I would have a book of pictures of these dolls but that's it... but I still wouldn't mind seeing more around. I'm sure there would be some lovely gallery sets for them.

15. They're probably personally made to high spenders. I can't imagine dolls like that being mass produced and then selling as well as you imagine.

I personally don't like how they look. They remind me of some old porcelain dolls my mom tried to give me, but I thought they were scary when I was young.

And yeah, it's also personal taste. It's like artwork- some people like anime, some like western style, some want art to be as realistic as possible.

16. well, beauty comes with taste, and personally I have seen beautiful dolls provided by companies just out of my price range XD

17. Yes, Alice in Labyrinth makes wonderfull dolls. I especially like Daryl :D I like their joints, very estetic and natural in posing and they have single pieced torsos, wich sort of hard to find in msd and sd size.
      Sadomina-Thanks for the links. The dolls look very interesting. They sort of look like made of wood :P I wonder what kind of clay that is they used? I actually started making my own bjd now XD may post pictures of the progress later.

18. Someone gave me books featuring this artist and I have to say, I rather hate to look at them. I can see that it took skill to make them and that the artist took real pains to try and capture a 3-4 year old girl.....but, then they are posed all languid and sexy, with red lips and little lacey panties showing and that makes me feel like looking away.

As for the jointing, ball joints are not the most poseable, which is the main draw for some folks, myself included. I have dolls with jointing exactly like this and their range of motion is limited, so they don't get played with. I think this is the reason most people want to spend their money on other companies that feature more stylized dolls. Everyone has different tastes.

19. I think they are also not practical for most people, unless you're a collector of art dolls. I want to take mine out and redress and customize and not worry that i might do something that lessens the value.