1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Best of the worst?

Aug 31, 2008

1. I checked out Bobobie, and aside from the Bei doll I'm not a huge fan of their line. For me, the shape of the eyes and face is EVERYTHING in purchasing a doll--I suppose that's rather natural, but there you are. :shrug:

I guess my problem is that it seems difficult to find a doll that's about a foot high and that also has a more mature face (i.e. not sculped like a child's). Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Bobobie's pictures are terrible - they really only barely resemble what the doll is like in real life.

Try looking at the selection offered at JunkySpot. There are many reasonably-priced dolls to be found there, some of which are OT due to being made of vinyl; they also handle Bobobie. Their shipping is wonderfully reasonable (because I live in the Arctic, I usually get gouged on shipping in the worst way) and they will often do a head swap for you if you want to mix and match - my 43cm Bobobie is a Pixie head on a male body.

Less-expensive dolls aren't always 'bad' - it depends very much what you want from them. My pleasure with dolls is customizing them to fit my wild ideas, making clothes and drawing pictures of them, much more so than seeking out the 'perfect' doll. I know that one has yet to be made...by me, when I finally figure out how I want it to be!

3. Mature 12 inch dolls . . .

There's Tinybear's large Moona and Soom Mini Gem I can think of right out of my head. I think they both fit Barbie clothes - except shoos of course.

Note that Large Moona comes with both eyes, wig and face-up while Mini Gem only comes with eyes.

If you're getting one doll and one only it is NOT cheaper to do the face-up yourself - unless you already have some of the things you are going to need. It's a lot of fun though IMO.

Dustbunnie

4. OOh, sweet! the Soom dolls look just about perfect--I'll have to see if JunkySpot carries them, or if anybody's selling them in the Marketplace once I've racked up enough posts (which will be pretty soon, actually!!)

Edit: oh SNAP. I'm utterly in LOVE with Soom's 60cm Mecha Angels. They are SO beautiful, and their faces are really different from other dolls I've seen--they have a LOT of character. ^.^ Thanks for introducing me, Dustbunnie!

Edit Edit: OMG FAVE DOLL MANUFACTURER FOUND. GAAAH. *drools on keyboard*
      *sniffle sob* Sooooo pwettty..... :love :drool

5. Soom also does a layaway for anything over $300... I know I have a hard time setting money away to save, it way easier for me when I have to pay it off :)

That way, you could save a chunk together to start with, and maybe splurge on the faceup options since you're paying it off anyways... ;)

6. Hi Muse,
      It looks like you've gotten lots of good responses to your inquiry. And I agree that is is not an inexpensive hobby/habit/addiction. And while I have not seen in person any of the lesser quality or less expensive dolls, you really do get what you pay for when you shell out more money. The pricier dolls are just unbelievable. I've been a doll collector for a long time and I have seen nothing to rival BJD's in terms of their faces, expressions, eyes and general life-like quality.

When I first got interested in BJD's, I was flabbergasted at the cost. So I did a lot of research and spent some time figuring out exactly what I wanted and could afford. I compared the costs of purchasing a limited edition versus a "regular" BJD and for my money, it was more cost-effective to get a limited edition than have to purchase clothes, wigs, accessories all separately.

And I think another poster mentioned the secondary market...there are sometimes previously owned BJD's on ebay and other auction sites. I saw a Domuya Fin on ebay last week with a good face-up done by the owner and she was going for about $150 less than what you'd pay for a brand new doll.

Good luck to you and keep saving your money!

*edit to add: I think it's great that you are actually talented enough to make a doll and sew clothes for him or her. I envy you that ability because I am definitely creativity-challenged!

7. everyone else mentions many great companies ^^
      you might want to look into Wishel too, though I haven't ordered from them, their BJDs are tinies I think they were $100 if I remember correcty.....
      anyway they're really cute and a good price range to start in

8. Just a note on Wishel: the company no longer exists. ;) If you get a Wishel, you'll have to get it second hand. I had one from the first run; there were many communication problems and when that batch finally shipped, the company just never did anything else and were impossible to contact. I think the website is still around, but you can't actually order anything from it.

9. You and me both, pal! And I agree with everyone here - save up, look around, take your time. And I'd love to see pictures of your doll sculpting process. I had no idea so many people made their own BJDs until browsing the artisan threads - and now the urge has got me, too.

Hang in there!
      Ann Marie

10. Thanks so much for all the wonderful advice, guys--you're the best!! I'll hvae to look around for a Wishel dolls in the marketplace, though their rarity will probably make them more expensive if their quality is high.

I'm utterly in love with both Soom and Luts dolls (particularly the Delf sculpts)--right now I'm just in awe of Delf's latest 60cm girl, Dahila, but of course she's $540!! XD That's the way it goes in dolldom, I'm discovering. ^.^

Right now I've put doll production on hold because A) it is SO much harder than I thought it was going to be and B) I have to apply to college and get awesome grades right now! >.< So hopefully after December I can pick up the pace a bit.

11. hehe i'm kinda like you too ^-^'
      lol I go to school and stuff....
      I have a job...
      I have a paper round :):)
      I'm only getting a tiny..... Bobobie erin to be precise :)
      I'm nearly there too!
      Like the others said, just doo little tasks..
      sewing sounds like a great idea hehe
      Hope you get your doll :)

12. I know this is late...BUT...I don't blame you for shopping at Mimi's...I have been shopping there forever...making my own dolls until I could afford a real one...or guilt my parents into buying one...or begging them to get it for my B-day. So don't sweat it. ^_^ It took me a while before I could get my first BJD...but that doesn't mean that it will take you a long time. In fact...the cheapest BJD on the market that I know of is a Puki Puki from www.dollfairyland.com They have a wonderful selection of Pukis. Might I suggest getting the Basic Puki with optional make up? It is about $163 for a Puki with face up...and you could get a wig from mimi's...just remember to get the 1/6 obitsu sized wigs and some kelly clothes. And there you go! It can be done I think for under $200 including shipping. It may take a few months of saving...but you'll get there!