1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Big, big dollies. Would you buy a 1/2 (one-half) scale doll?

Jan 23, 2007

?
  1. Yes

2. No

3. Possibly, but...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I think they are very beautifull, but I would never buy one. They're so big and so expensive.

2. They would be more expensive to cloth, and harder to find outfits for but I can sew my own. Bigger clothes are easier to make when going mini, so that's a plus. I would very much like to have a 1/2 scale realistic doll.

3. If I had a lot of money to just buy what I want, I suppose so...since 70cm border on 1/3-1/2 scale.

4. No, I wouldn't get a doll that big. I'm a Gundam fan and although I've seen people with big scaled Gundams and find them cool, I would never get one for myself.

It's not that it would be creepy to have a big doll, I just think it would be too big and would take up way too much room. I didn't want a 1/3 scale for my first doll because I thought they were too big (though I may consider getting one sometime in the future). A 90cm doll will always be too big in my opinion though...

5. No. I already find SD too big to handle.

6. We are on the same page! I have her (the Iris); and a Dollmore Trinity Lumie. I am not scared of heavy or big dolls. In fact, I drool over them! :D

7. Definitely No.

I can barely stand the 65cm+ dolls. No more than 65cm for me.

8. No, that would just be way too big for me. My SD is 62 cm and I haven't had him long enough to take him to a convention yet and I'm concerned about him being too heavy and awkward to carry around.

9. My grandmother has one of those weird "naughty kid in the corner" folksy dolls. Even as a kid, I thought that was big enough to be weird and creepy to me, not fun or cute the way it was intended.

Plus, one of the reasons I go for tinies is for space reasons; my old American Girls take up a fair bit of space, so I like having wee ones who can perch on bookshelves, between DVD cases, or playing on tchotchkes. (That, and I was always a big fan of "tiny-people" fairy shows and stories as a kid, from "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" to the Little Bits cartoon.)

10. For me, I like to hold my babies in my hands...Even though my MSDs aren't necessarily "babies", they are easy to hold in one or both hands.
      Not only that, but I do like to take my dolls with me when I travel. I don't think they would allow me to take a life-sized doll on the plane unless it was in a bag and I don't want it to look like it's a child in a body bag LOL!
      I am 5"5. I feel like that would be sooooooo big to me. Maybe my view will change when I get more into collecting, but as of right now, no way for me :/
      The size and then the weight...oh God man. That would literally be a pain unless the dollie is for views only :o

11. well there are actually 1:1 scale dolls at 180cm tall. (oddly enough its not as expensive as it seems) however I don't think I'd ever want a doll that big. I'm not really the 'collector' type of doll owner so I wouldn't really want one that'd just sit around my house that i wouldn't use, and it just wouldn't suit any characters i would have in mind. It just seems more of a hassle to own and transport and such. I've thought about getting the Smart Doll Plus though, which is supposed to be 120cm tall and robotic but i'm still not 100% sold yet.

12. I like slim, but muscular body structures, basically bishonen boys. So, if it were a 90cm bishonen boy, yeah I would.

13. Cant quite be sure if I would actually buy one. As it just leans to weirdness and lack of space perhaps too. But probably if it was louise Id co sider it but it feels like I am losing grip of reality this way pretending shes real and it doesnt feel like a doll anymore..

14. Aren't the 80~90cm dolls pushing it to 1/2, though? But these tend to be a bit too mature-looking to be able to wear children's clothes. Giant chibis or giant young-looking dolls might be fun, though!

15. I wanted a 1/2 doll back when they only had boys in that size. I did NOT want to have to make clothes for it. Then I got to see one in person and it was ridiculous! So, I changed my mind and I no longer want one that large.
      Although, if Fairyland made a female one, there'd be no stopping me, I'd buy it.

16. I have weak arms and wrists and already have trouble lifting my SD's. Let alone a bigger doll. ^^;;...
      For me I doubt I'd ever go bigger than 65~70cm...

17. Gosh no. I have two girls who are about 67 cm tall and frankly, I shy away from 70 cm dolls because of them. They are my limit size-wise. So despite the fact that I think Dollmore Trinity Elysia is the most beautiful head sculpt I have ever seen, there's no chance I'd ever buy her. How am I supposed to handle so large a doll?! :)

18. Nope, 60 cm girls are my limit...

19. it depends. I've always been wondering if those can wear normal clothes - you know - for human kids ;) Especially shoes. If yes, then it's cool! I'd still prefer to make the clothes on my own though (just imagined the vast amounts of fabrics :3 )
      But it'd be too creepy, I suppose,to have e.g. a Trinity girl. I mean, it'd feel like having another person in my room watching me 24/7... especialy waking up at night, for some pee or something... and seeing that glass-eyed child on my sofa... like some horror film lol xD
      But.. I'd love to get a manequin, tbh. I mean, really ;) A 1:1 scale mannequin. Could be made of abs, but would have to be as joined in all places an average bjd is. Just for the pure reason of clothing it and photographing.

20. I replied here once before a long time ago, and actually my doll size preferences have changed. I still wouldn't own a huge doll.

I can't imagine walking around with it and taking pics and dressing it would be like dressing a baby or short adult.

I would still have my one Soom Hyperion but other than that, I actually have found that I am sticking to the good old 60, 50 and 45 cm dolls. Anything outside of that range is either too big or too small.

Even a lot of my super gems, I am finding too big for me xD

Sent from the future via SkyNet