1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Big dolls VS Small dolls?

Dec 1, 2016

1. I like smaller or medium sized dolls, but I'd love if they made mature looking dolls that were just smaller in scale, like a 60cm doll but shrank down would be perfect!

2. Most of my guys are between 65 to 74cm as I like the big guys best but I do have a few msds and some tinies who are non human.

3. I've got a couple of tinies, no midis, mostly 60cm or larger dolls. Although I like the tinies just fine, it's easy to overlook them - whereas I can see the big dolls from across the room, or even the hallway - they're much more companionable for that reason, being a similar size to a cat. I've had a few midis but they're too small for me, being an in-between size - neither cute and tiny or large and eyecatching, so I've never really 'gelled' with them. I enjoy sewing for the bigger dolls too as it's much easier to find fabric the right weight and print in their size.

4. Although I have more 1/4 dolls than anything else, my collection ranges from 70 cm down to 16 cm. I love them all and really can't pick a favorite.

I do think that anything smaller than 16 cm would be too small small for me, but I've learned to never say never. After all, at this time last year, I swore 1/3 was too big for me, and now I own 3 plus 2 floating heads.

5. I've always been attracted to the larger dolls, I feel like it's easier to be creative with them. At the moment I only have 1 doll so far, she's 65cm and all the dolls on my wishlist are 1/3 scale dolls, but I'm not saying I'll never get smaller dolls since I might end up taking it back.

6. For BJDs, I like larger dolls. Unless it's a pet doll, I'm trying to keep my resin collection to yo-sd size and up. I tend to like head sculpts that are designed for bodies around 70cm. I kind of wish that these weren't so big (because of space limitations and the fact that they are more difficult to transport), but their big size makes them easier to sew for. :)

7. I have a YoSD and two SD/70cm dolls and I have to say I like the sizes equally, just for different reasons.

My YoSD Kitty, being small, she is easier to handle, and her lightness makes me feel like I could carry her places if I ever wanted to. But, my SDs, being bigger, don't feel nearly as fragile. I feel more comfortable just generally messing with them.

8. I really like 1/4 size. I feel like 1/6 would be too small for my tastes, but who knows! I've never had or seen a 1/6 or 1/3 doll in person. I feel like I might actually like 1/3 dolls at this point. I was so sure I'd never own one but there's generally more sculpts I like for them... and it will probably be easier to handle in a lot of aspects.

9. I only have one doll for now, and she's 65cm. It's true that being so big and heavy, it's not comfortable to travel with her, or carry her. I personally prefer dolls that look like teens or older. That's the main reason why I don't have any tiny. However, small mature dolls would be perfect! I could carry them with me wherever I go, play with their poses more often... I know they exist, but I'd like to see more of them, with better poseability and double joints.

10. i love small dolls they are tiny and lovely

11. MSD size definitely feels more "natural" to me, I've never been a fan of huge dolls. I like dolls to feel like dolls and not like tiny children. But I also am a fan of the more mature look of SDs and can find some of the smaller dolls rather bland looking. But I have seen gorgeous dolls of all sizes.

#31 Alchemist, Dec 7, 2016
      Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    12. I like SDs in the 65-70ish cm range best, mostly because the mature/fantasy aesthetic I like falls within that range and I've always been partial to having larger items in my collection. I love the size and weight, it really gives them a presence!

13. My preference is SD sized, 60cm-70+. I personally don't find the size too big, and like the more realistic, mature sculpts in that range than the smaller sizes. In general I prefer more mature (late teens, 20s+) looking sculpts, so I can make exceptions in smaller sizes if they have that aesthetic (ex: Batchix's Clever Little). I'm not fond of child and baby-like dolls.

In general, though---I like larger ones for the extra size, bulk and pose-ability.:)

14. I only have 1/4 size dolls right now, and they're the perfect size for me. I prefer to more mature 1/4 dolls over the childlike ones. I feel like a 1/3 size doll would be too big, but I have a couple on my wishlist, so I'm open to trying them out. I love the size of tinies too, but there are very few sculpts I like in that size.

15. I only personally own MSDs, which I find perfect for toting around, and they're not hard on my wrists or chest when I pick them up as they aren't heavy at all. (I've got a lot of weakness and health issues.) I'm warming myself up to my wife's SDs, and am starting to find a love for them as well, but don't own one yet due to their heaviness. I'm hoping it won't be an issue soon, however, as I'm looking to order my first SD in the near future.

16. All of the above? >.< I don't know which size I prefer. I have 1/6, 1/4, short and average 1/3, and 70cm range

17. I have dolls in all sorts of sizes, but I tend to prefer the bigger dolls over the smaller ones. Most of mine are in the 60-70cm range.

I feel you when it comes to traveling with my big guys, but despite how inconvenient and heavy they are I love their size and poseability. And I like the more mature look too.

18. I own MSD and YoSD-sized dolls, and so far I prefer the MSD dolls. I love Chloe to pieces, but it's hard for me to get my hands inside her head to position her eyes. On the other hand, Chloe is easier to carry around than my MSD dolls, so it evens out.

I don't think I'll pursue an SD-sized doll unless it's a drop-dead gorgeous sculpt. It's hard enough for me to control my MSD boys' kicky legs, and finding nice clothes in SD size isn't as easy as finding MSD or YoSD-sized clothes.

#38 RagingMoon1987, Dec 8, 2016
      Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    19. I love both msd and yosd just as much. I feel like SDs would be too big for me and difficult to display. However there are a lot of SD sculpts I really love so my preference may change.

20. Yess it's like.. the best part of the SD sized doll is that they're big, and the worst part is that they're big:XD:
      At this moment I'm transforming a violin case into a doll case, just to make sure I can carry her without worrying too much. I think smaller dolls may be easier to protect and carry than the big ones, that's why I'm putting so much effort on this, I want to keep her as safe as possible. I think it'll be totally worth it :D

I really can't compare because I've never played with other dolls, but as I can see from other posts, a smaller sized body can make easier movements and poses because they're lighter. I still have to hot glue/wire my big girl and see if I can improve her poses.
      A good thing that bigger dolls have are clothes. I think sewing for bigger bodies is easier than for tinies. And well, in my opinion, the outfits look more realistic on them. Maybe it has to do with the stitches. The smaller the doll, the bigger they'll look on their clothes.