1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Big dolls VS Small dolls?

Dec 1, 2016

1. I think I prefer bigger to be honest, but I always have a hard time justifying keeping them because of how much space they take up and how much they cost. I owned Soom and Iplehouse big dudes and ladies before and honestly it was a really fun size. Other than the fact that if you're going out with dolls, you're committing to going out with dolls because you can't just throw them into your normal bag and do other stuff while you're out.

I do like tinies but I only if they're very stylized, chunky and cute. I don't really like thin-looking resin parts on the tinies that are supposed to be more mature, makes me worry irrationally about how they might break.

2. I absolutely love big dolls yet they do take up a lot of space and can be a bit more difficult to balance and pose, but I still want some. It's easier to make mid-size props and clothes for MSDs though. Tinies are nice, but tougher to make stuff for, and I like getting more size for the price personally.

3. Smaller :) I used to have two SDs and they were lovely, but I would think how good it would be if they were smaller, about Barbie-size. I have one just like that now, and I'm waiting for two MSDs to arrive which will be quite a new experience. Hope they don't look too big for me !

4. I fancy msd myself, because smaller sizes are quickly too small for me to bond with. I do love sd dolls too and specially dollfie dream and smart doll but I just can't afford them at this moment.

5. I prefer giant honking boys.

The main downside is props. God is it hard to find props for giant 70cm dolls. and maybe weight lol.

6. Most of my collection is SD sized, and I love them to bits.

But recently I have found myself gravitating to YOSD sized dolls (Not the ones that look like babies, but older like 6 or 7 years old). Because of their size they are so easy to play with. They can hang out at my desk without taking up too much room, and they are easy to travel with. They are such sturdy little guys, and have a lower center of gravity, so I don't worry about them falling over, like i do with the big guys. (I'm always stressing about my 70cm boys falling over.)

So, for now, I'm thoroughly enjoying my little ones. They really are fun! :chibi

7. My smallest doll is now a pukipuki, but my biggest doll is an IOS 80cm. I got into this hobby with big 70cm+ as my dolls of choice, and they are definitely my favorite. :aheartbea

8. So far i have 2 MSDs, i dont know if i want SDs because I haven't ever seen one in person.. i do however know that i DONT want smaller dolls cuz they are so similar to barbie size... idk thats just me

9. I like yoSD and SD +! I prefer SD for snuggling though haha

10. I prefer my BJDs to be SD & "uncle"-sized (60-70cm) or MSD-sized. I like my MSDs to look very young (tweens), and my SDs to be very realistic and older. I'm beginning to realize that I like my 1/6th scale dolls to be made out of plastic, not resin--something about resin dolls makes me feel like I need to customize (paint/mod) them, whereas I don't feel that way about my action figures (although they have been hybrided).

I really can't do much at 1/6th scale, so I appreciate less pressure for my 1/6th dolls to sew for them and paint.

I have some exceptions: Ancient Tales Rachel and my Dollshe Grant Phillippe. So far, I'm not worried about sewing for my Rachel, but perhaps my preferences for MSD were spot-on, because I haven't done anything for my Grant yet.

11. I'm an MSD and YoSD person... even the YoSD have to be fantasy dolls for them to join the collection because I feel like they usually look too young for my taste. My Enyo is the smallest one I have and he's the exception. As for SD's... I've tried and they're just too big for me... Barring some kind of divine intervention, I won't buy an SD sized doll again.

12. It's really hard for me to decide I love all kinds and sizes, so I bought dolls of all size:XD:from 16cm to 75cm height. Anyhow, I found it's easier to make clothes for bigger ones.

13. I'm a bit odd. I really like the very very tiny (but not babyish) dolls, as well as the ridiculously large dolls. I find the huge range of sizes fascinating. The super big dolls are just so impressive! But the little tiiiiny ones are pocket sized and adorable!

14. MSD sized are my favorite. The tiny sizes are great since space is important. They can be tucked in amongst the bigger dolls.

15. I like MSDs down, SDs are just too huge for me to be comfortable handling

16. I started with SD, then to 16cm mature tinies, back to SD, and then got into the YO sized. It took me six years to get my first MSD,

The only size that I am adverse to is mature minis. They just do not fit into the flow of my personal collection: yo sized, immature minis, and SDs (and the two random mature 16cm cat anthros, because ... cats!).

17. I like variety, I have 11cm to 90cm dolls but if my arm was twisted, I'd have to say that the dolls I play with most are my Unoa 1.5 and hybrids. They aren't too big or small, they have the most option parts and they aren't too difficult for me to hybrid, carry around or sew for. That said, if they had been SD size, I'd probably say the same because it's the many faceplates that keep me interested.
      The doll I carry most if I'm taking one out is an SD, or a Blythe. I think Volks SD girls are a pretty carrying size and it's fun and easy to photograph Blythes in public

For display, I like larger dolls 60+cm because they look like an art piece in a room or Barbie scale dolls since they have the most furniture and and accessories since I have a dollhouse for them.
      I agree with Naisha about scale and sewing, I appreciate correct scale and the larger doll clothes can look so nice for that.

18. I think there are advantages and disadvantages. It is nice if the doll grows, but I think it is hard to play. It is heavy and can be severely broken if it falls over. The same is true when adding props. The larger the doll, the larger the size of the props. Production difficulty and cost increase greatly. But the big doll has good detail and feels like a living doll. I thought in terms of the dollmaker. it is Interesting topic.

19. My smallest is a pukipuki and my largest at the moment is a 69cm Souldoll Zenith. I like them all for various reasons. The small ones are the most adorable, affordable, portable and easier to handle, although the pukipuki is also the easiest to get lost among the junk in my room LOL. I am more likely to bring a tiny out with me on a holiday. On the other hand the big ones are soooooooo handsome <3<3<3:fangirl: and would you believe the sculpting details on some of the bigger dolls. I tend to refer to the big boys as my harem LOL. I am currently gravitating towards the bigger boys and hoping to add a couple of 70cms to my collection in future. If I could only collect a single size I'd go for the bigger ones, but I like having variety and diversity in my collection!

20. I preffer small BJD like PKF or Lati, cos they is great for travelling. But for costumes and poses is better MSD :)