1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Big dolls VS Small dolls?

Dec 1, 2016

1. Big! Small BJDs don't do much for me ;3;/

2. I tend to like SD and larger, or Yo-sized and smaller better than the middle sizes. I am not sure why, but the middle range never worked as well for me, even though in theory they are a good balance of all facets. I love the presence and weight of my larger dolls. I love the ease of changing and photographing my smaller dolls.

3. For me I like the MSD size and smaller. They are easy to carry around and not that heavy at all. My first BJD is msd sized and I love her. I currently own 2 MSD bjds and 1 tiny.

4. I have larger dolls, but I play with the smaller dolls a lot more! They are just easier to handle!

5. As fun as SDs are, if I could replace most of mine with identical MSD sized versions I'd dance for joy. But they haven't made smaller dolls with faces and details like SDs until very recently and so few of those are around yet.

6. I've only seen one SD in person every at an Anime Con, her person was kind enough to let me hold her and I was intimidated both by her size and also she was the first BJD I'd ever seen in person so I sat and held her like I would've a large baby. xD As much as there are a few SDs I love dearly and have managed to make it onto my wishlist, I think that for the most part, anything bigger than an MSD is too large for me. All in all, I think my favorite size would be the tinies, some of that is because of the amount of space for dolls I have, and some of it is also just because of the fact that I've always loved tiny things.

7. All sizes have their upsides! I think SDs have a cool "presence" in a room and really strike even non-doll people as a huge and beautiful piece of art, but tiny dolls just make me so happy to hold honestly. There's something really enchanting about little tiny articulated people.

8. [​IMG]
      I like both big and small. Here is my smallest 1:12 14 cm bjd, with my biggest 1/2 90 cm bjd.
      Olga Reingard / Angel of Dreams old Bo

9. I grew up with Barbie as my very first dolls from the moment I was born, my parents were weirdos just like me. I didn't get baby dolls, and I never grew to liking those. Large dolls always seemed like dolls for children to me, while most of my grown-up extended family members collected action figures. I always thought of smaller sized figures and dolls as "adult" meant collectibles. That's one of the reasons I prefer smaller dolls they are also easier to handle (not easier to dress, if they are strung BJD!). Larger dolls are easier to customize in many ways, but a pain in the gut-hole to carry for short, weak and scrawny old-farts like me. I prefer smaller dolls in general, anything under 40cm, but nothing under 20cm. I do own a few mystery dolls that are probably smaller than that, but those I think of as Barbie, which I always keep MISB mostly not for customizing, because I am a weirdo (I like to keep most of my collectibles MISB). (:

Probably already posted on a similar topic like this one, but this is such an "old thread," I still get déjà vu even when much older (than this) thread gets bumped. The OP hasn't been on here for five years it seems. Kind of cool, and strange at the same time.

10. This.
      All this.

My crew range all the way from a 5cm tall Micro (a Dream High Piko-) to a 110cm long DZ mermaid, with everything from Lati Whites and Fairyland MiniFees to CP/Delfs and Iple EIDs in between. There are honestly good things and bad things about all of them.

Micros fit in dollhouses. Which is a proverbial hole with no bottom all on its own.
      Tinies are adorable and a breeze to find fun props for.
      Minis are large enough to be easy to handle, yet small enough to carry around with you.
      Classic 1/3-scale SDs are the most fun to sew for and are absolutely fascinating to photograph.
      ... and the Big Folks are very impressive to look at, and just have this sort of Presence to them that makes them really stand out.

The Classic 1/3s are my favorites, as they represent a personal "sweet spot" of visual/kinetic appeal and ease of handling, but there are things to like about every size,

11. delete please.

#91 jade-eyed-cat, Nov 8, 2023
      Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
    12. Whooooooboy how things do change in a few years. I ditched tinies almost entirely (i still have a couple i really enjoy, but as a whole not my size), went through a weird high pressure phase where the bulk of my collection was slim msd (i was so upset and things just werent Working) but i kept my three favorites upon abandoning that size, and now I've happily settled into "large dolls are right for me" with most of my collection being 63-70cms.
      Moral of the story is- give yourself time before settling on a size, experiment and learn your hobby likes and dislikes over a longer period and what you settle into may surprise you.

13. Diversity is the spice of life, some would say. (:

I am sure a lot of adult action figure collectors would find Barbies being even slightly comparable to said collectables amusing. I know a lot of people think of Barbie as trash and an insult to most other types of toys. Probably as much as there are people who think any type of toy or doll is trash, regardless of cost or target market. As a collector of a broad spectrum of toy genres, I am just happily collecting what I love. Hoping other people are able to do so as well, without the harsh criticism that still comes with adults still collecting toys of any kind. I grew up surrounded by grow men who collected military 1:6 action figures, and a dad who collected and still collects super hero comics and toys and Bruce Lee figures.

As a weirdo, smaller figures are the sizes I prefer above all for many reasons, and never would think of Barbie as an equal to 1:6 action figures. Not because I think Barbie is trash by any means, I still love and collect Barbie. I just know the difference between one-sixth-scale and playscale toys. Not something anyone outside of real scale miniature collectibles care about, but something ingrained in my brain since I was barely alive. It bothers me when scales are used wrongly, not because i feel scaled toys are "superior," but because BJD wrongly labeled accessories and shoes flood ecommerce platforms. Making it a royal pain in the gut hole, shopping for actual 1:6 action figure stuff.

Sorry for the two volume book reply -- I usually don't reply to replies to my posts. I don't normally know what to add. However, mention action figures and Barbies and I'll write a whole ten volume novel. DX

14. I have 1/3, 1/4, and 1/5 in my collection right now and I think that my collection is not complete without all of them. :3nodding: They each have their plusses and minuses in my book.
      1/3 size was my first bjd love, they are the easiest to shop for and style, but crafts take longer and their items cost more than smaller doll. They also take up a whoooole lot more display space than a 1/4, while a 1/4 and 1/5 take up basically the same amount of shelf :ablink:
      1/4 strikes a good balance between detailed and portable, but can be harder to shop for due to the wider variety in body shapes among them. But that variety is part of what makes them so loveable too. :whee:
      1/5 is hardest to shop for within my personal tastes, both the accessories and dolls themselves. They are also harder for me to put the eyes in. But my 1/5 girl makes up for it by being so quick to craft for, plus is so freaking cute that I just want to carry her everywhere perched in my hand :love I would happily have a hoard of them if I fall in love with more 1/5.
      I have not written off tinies but the stars have not yet aligned so to speak. So my collection definitely skews bigger atm.

15. delete please

#95 jade-eyed-cat, Nov 8, 2023
    16. []fint=calibriI didn't find your comments as trying to belittle Barbie or action figures. I just love both, but I know there are action figure collectors who hate Barbie and would never even mention the doll in the same sentence. (:

I really also prefer action figures above most other kinds of humanoid toys I collect, due to how realistic and detailed they can look far above and beyond any type of doll and at a much more compact size. That is also why I am willing to purchase 1:6 clothes and shoes, but not BJD meant clothes. The detail, proportions and realism are just mind blowing on most 1:6 stuff. On most BJD stuff, the proportions still look cartoony to me. And, I don't even collect real actor/people type heads in general (I prefer Japanese cgi levels of realism ). I just love the proportions and realism of the figures as a whole, including clothes and accessories. The ultra hyper-realistic paint style that comes with most of the heads, varies, but I would say due to how realistic most of the popular 1:6 heads are, they are also far more realistic looking than most any BJD. More so if custom painted rather than factory, and due mostly to realistic proportions. I have ne8come across a BJD that looks as realistic as an action figure -- and again, hyper-realism is not necessarily something I prefer, head sculp wise.

I am not trying to argue with you about how realistic BJD are, more so than other toys. I have come across people thinking old school CP/Luts sculpts as realistic, which is something else I guess. I just have seen 1:6 figures that look so much like the real living, breathing actor, some might find it uncanny. However, I have never done a double take with any BJD, not even ones based on real people. I feel it's all about proportions, and most BJD are still hyper-stylized to look as realistic as an actionfigure can. Lengthy reply once again. T__T;; [/font ]

17. delete please

#97 jade-eyed-cat, Nov 9, 2023

18. I don't like to create drama, just because other people have different opinions than mine. I actually do appreciate a wide variety of tastes, because that can only mean more variety! As a hoarder I shouldn't, but I still love more options even if they are not for me. (:

As far as visible brush/paint strokes on action figure paint apps, it's probably just the artist's style (or company's default paint apps, which are hit-or-miss depending on the company). Some are far more detailed than others, others have a more pretty-fied approach (like the holy grail for most 1:6 collectors right now, 357partment customizing Korean group/school? They tend to leave out the flawed look of hyperpigmentation and wrinkles but their works are quite impressive. I don't follow a lot of repainters/customizers, or I would add more seriously hyper-realistic ones for sure. As someone who struggles due to shaky hands, i know first hand, fine line work on tiny areas is a nightmare but not impossible for all.).

19. delete please

#99 jade-eyed-cat, Nov 9, 2023
    20. From the very beginning of my collection, I built it with one notion in mind…diversity. I wanted to create a fantasy world of my own imagination, where beings and creatures of all sizes could live and interact together (something like a Tim Burton’s “Alice” in wonderland setting.) I knew I wanted to put all my dolls on display in various artistic vignettes throughout my small home (as art installations.) And I wanted to fully explore my love of fashion, all kinds from elegant to historical to whimsical. I knew I was building for the long term, so this is how I approached it.;)

I’ve been collecting continuously since 2006 and have a collection of 50+ bjds. I began with MSDs because that’s what fit into my initial display spaces the best, and I gradually added about 3 dolls per year. Soon, as my creative displays began to grow, so did the variety of doll sizes to fit them…teeny tiny Realpukis to live in a treehouse my husband built me; YOSDs to inhabit a trunk; a smattering of larger SDs in special places to act as attention grabbing punctuation marks making a special statement. Truly there is something unique to love about each size and I don’t value one over the other. To me they are each my characters, and they “just are”. Losing even one of the sizes in my collection would make it feel incomplete and would break my heart.