1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

BJD appearances on YouTube?

Jun 25, 2006

1. I watched this thing too and seeing it makes me just say "You could have shaped Kerli's face better to fit and look nicer"

2. L Mikia, I agree !
      They didnt have to turn her face eggshaped! *_*

I want to know what they did to the dolls face to make it so blue! :?
      Did they get a spare head just for the CGI or did they ruin that amazing faceup?

3. callum91 They may have slipped a cover over her head. You know, kind of like a green suit :)

4. I love that the song is about a creepy girl so they felt a "creepy" doll (as they are so often called) would fit right in :lol:

5. I like it for that too , the doll is pretty and i believe she is wearing Violet fern's outfit, I lik how they made the girl (who played the doll carrying the singer) wearing the outfit too..
      the vid is ok, and showed the BJD doll in a good way for the rest of the world, I do not care for the song though ^__^

6. I really liked it, actually-- all of it. Sure, the face was odd, but that's just the angles of Kerli's face verses the doll's. The lyrics remind me of a sort of oddball girl that was all, neglected and lonely and stuff, and then she shined above everyone else when she figured out how to make her life the best.

I wonder what happened to that doll now? You think its on display or that Kerli has it? <3

7. I'm hearing a lot of desire to rain on Pepstar's parade for hitting the bigtime, here, for whatever reason.... But that doll was suited perfectly for the video. The video-production peeps probably showed Pepstar a picture & told her, "This is how our singer is gonna paint her face; make us a match", et voila, good heavy harlequin-tears and the whole nine yards. It worked for its purpose.

Neither doll nor song nor singer is my taste at all, I mean I can't even grasp today's pop (and that is OK, I just stay away from it). Although the song's cheery mood makes no sense next to the video's dream-sequence mood, it's certainly no more or less dippy than any other modern pop drivel out there. The video itself, with the sound off, was fine. The old standby "Oh, it was all a dream!" video-plot never gets old-- you don't mess with the classics! And I think the doll-vs-human effects looked great. I'm a horror fan, so moving doll-faces don't exactly keep me up nights.

But I am boggled by the extent to which the whole jrockloliwhatever thing has infiltrated pop... right down to the ballet fetish shoes, niiice! In my day (Early Pleistocene Era), only goth-chicks wore goth-clothes on MTV, but I understand you kids do things differently now. :lol: The clothes & presentation were nicely done, very Dollheart style, although they sure didn't fit the song.

....Aaaand I suppose this probably signals the beginning of the end. MTV Spring Break coverage of the Kyoto Dolpa can't be far off now.

8. ORZ.......................................................................................SICK.

It's just like how MTV tried to get into the whole video game scene before (which failed badly I think)

I wouldn't know I don't watch MTV :?

9. Visually I find the video interesting. As for the music, I have to say that it rates a "meh!" from me. When I listened to the lyrics, I kept on feeling that whoever wrote that song must have used Emily the Strange as an inspiration because they sounded like they would've fit the text of one of Emily's books.

I wouldn't really worry about Asian ball-jointed dolls becoming as totally mainstream as Barbie unless Kerli somehow manages to get a Worldwide Number One Pop Hit out of her song. I don't know how other countries are with their pop singers but it seems like the pop radio stations in the U.S. prefers non-goth clean-cut singers like Britney Spears (before the crazy started to set in), Christina Aguilera, and Miley "Hannah Montana" Cyrus. They tend to shy away from any hint of goth. And it's definitely sounds too pop for an alternative rock station.

10. When I saw her name, Kerli, it seemed familiar and when I watched the video, it was clear - she's Kerli Kõiv, the girl who won Fizz Superstar in 2002, she's from Estonia and moved to the US. That's why I know her, because I live in Estonia and she was my favourite during that contest.
      I love the video and he doll is gorgeous. Still I'm abit worried about that BJDs may come too popuar with that. But we'll see.

11. I'm really not too concerned that this video is going to cause massive bjd popularity. Viewers would have to really latch on to the doll, and I'm not sure they'd do that. I think they'd be more likely to think of the doll as just a neat prop and nothing more.

While there are doll collectors of all ages and doll collecting in general is a popular hobby, there can still be a certain amount of stigma attached. For younger folks who are desperate to seem more mature and adult, playing with dolls can be seen as a sign of immaturity. Adults have to deal with the stupid ideas that dolls are either creepy or that they're a substitute for real children : P Plus, even more affordable bjds carry a hefty price tag.

Something huge would have to happen to bring bjds major mainstream attention.

I would say that right now hobby growth is fueled more by friends introducing their friends to bjds and seeing bjds in magazines geared towards other doll types. And I understand where the concerns over popularity come from, but I sometimes feel that they get a bit exaggerated. These dolls are beautiful, and there will be new people who will want them, but that doesn't mean they're suddenly gaining mainstream acceptance. Besides, what's the alternative? Make a rule that only complete nobodies can own bjds? Or keep them tip top secrets only to be shared among the chosen few?

12. I thought it was creepy.. The doll was very pretty. but like other the ending.. D= ehhh..

I kinda like the song though. Its catchy..

13. i know this may sound a little OT but since it's to do with music, i thought i would bring up the question.
      there's this singer called Sin With Sebastian and i was just looking at some of his album covers to find there's a doll on his single cover:
      http://cdn.last.fm/coverart/130x130/3439686-1501602915.jpg
      (sorry this is the only good pic i can find of it)
      does anyone know what type of doll it is?

14. ive heard of sin with Sebastian.. I didnt know about the cover though. O_o The only song ive heard is "shut up and sleep with me" Its an ok song.. can get catchy

15. I really liked the video (except the part with her face on the doll), it was interesting ^.^
      The music is pretty good, but what really caught my attention was all the effects (as well as Kerli's outfits >w<). It's cool to see a BJD incorporated into a music video, especially since the doll was a fairly major element.

16. that was kind of what struck me about the video--how extremely Produced it all looked. when I see a girl with that much makeup on, and hear that there's a fringe art piece involved (that would be the BJD), I expect something a little less slick--not so much like a fashion spread, not so much like the MVs being pumped out for American Idol winners. where the girl is a little less commoditized, you know? or at least less overtly.
      she really made me think of t.A.T.u., only with a way better production team.

it was fun to watch the video, though. I wasn't bothered by her accent (yes, that's an accent--while her piercing may have some effect on her diction, her native language is what's shining through) or by her face superimposed on the doll's. I loved the life sized "doll" and overall it was a fun little atmospheric piece.

17. I liked it. Her face on the doll could have been done much better I think-probably a budget thing. The piece was as substantial as most stuff out there. It was quite entertaining.
      The whole bjds are creepy thing...isn't it actually a matter of dolls being creepy to some people and so bjds are just thrown into that category? I tend to think bjds are not being singled out so much as being included ,for people who just are disturbed by most dolls bigger than a Barbie.

18. Thank you! I thought I was the only one getting this "Emily Strange" vibe. Its like whoever wrote this song was looking at a Hot Topic spiral notebook cover for insperation. It was all visual with no content, and when it did the doll/ human switch thing, it lost all visual apeal too. *shutter*
      I was completely entranced by her bound feet shoes. Those are S&M torture devices if I've ever seen them.

19. Well they are fetish shoes... I don't know if they are torture devices per se.

I loved the costumes in the video I must say. I'm often highly disappointed by the level of detail in costuming in videos, this vid at least paid some attention good costuming. And the costuming fit the style of the video as a whole too, another thing that doesn't always happen.

20. As a native speaker of that language I can say that it's the tongue piercing and the accent both. We spell things a lot differently and even if she has lived years in the US, the accent will still show trough. There are people who have pierced tongues and speak without any defect, while others may even not have a piercing but have a little speech defect, it's pretty common here.
      I guess this was now a little off topic, but I couldn't not mention it. :blush