1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

BJD appearances on YouTube?

Jun 25, 2006

1. As an old goth and someone with occasionally morbid taste, I think it's a lovely video. Just beautiful and nicely eerie throughout - and it does fit the song about as well as 90% of the videos out there fit theirs. One of her key phrases is about whether you have the courage to leave your dolls - this girl didn't, kept herself locked up in the house and the doll was freed instead, which makes the video an ironic counterpoint to the urgings of the song.

Aside from that, the video is probably meant to be as much eye candy as the song is ear candy, and it does a great job of that, with nicely designed sets, generally effective video choices and a good number of details that it's hard to catch without viewing more than once. I kind of went 'eh' at the singing face on the doll too, but that would not have gone well even with a larger budget I think - the human mind psychologically reacts against anything that is close to human but not quite close enough, and the movement of the face with no head movement is a major psychological disconnect. It might have been more effective to have the doll holding a mirror up with her face in it so there was a clear edge and no need to worry about what a head and body were doing.

All in all, a little candy treasure trove for the gothy crowd, and as a fringe goth, I see nothing wrong with that. If the Cure and similar bands hadn't made stuff targeted at a goth audience to start with, I wouldn't have had any goth to listen to growing up. We may be indulging in crying "marketing wolf." Good 'running around in a car with the windows open and the top down being club-goth in the middle of a summer day with breezes' song. Right before you switch to a very loud 'don't cry for me, Argentina' and every gay guy in the car starts singing along. :lol:

2. WoW~! I was just watching that video on YouTube and I was wondering if anyone knew what model doll was in the video. Thanks for posting~!!!

3. I change my comment ;_; I think she carries her doll weird, or least its posed weird in her arms at the end. Actually makes my arms hurt just watching xD

4. I guess I'm the odd one because I loved it !<3 After watching the Video I downloaded the song from iTunes. ^___^

5. Well finally! I got a chance to watch it.

And loved it. There's nothing earth-shattering about any of it - it's just a music video, after all, they're not SUPPOSED to be earth-shattering. (Well yeah, some artists early in the MTV beginnings *thought* they were, but hey :) ).

The song is great. A real earworm. Will anyone remember it in 20 years? Probably not. Who cares? It's really well done.

I'm surprised at the comments about her being a bad singer. Awfully hard to judge someone's singing ability by a song with a five or six note range. She hit all five of those notes really nicely, though -- she has a very natural and unpretentious sound, and I'll take someone who can stay in key with a nice sound over a trained voice that can't decide which note it's trying to hit ANY day. :) Pleasant to listen to!

The video itself is what makes this, though. I watched it on her site, where even though it took forever to download, it was worth the wait. High-D TV is made for stuff like this. Wish I could get a copy to look at on my BIG tv as opposed to this little box... I'm also perplexed about the comments about her looks. ... Uh... she's a heck of a lot prettier than some of us, myself included. That's good enough for me.

And the doll? Gorgeous. :) Got gasps out of my kiddos...

6. I explained the video to my sister in the following way[just so she wouldn't get nightmares]:
      Its about a girl who used to be a doll and her time ran out so the doll[the DIM flora] really loved her and wanted to keep her safe and let her have freedom, so she cut the strings because she didn't want the doll to be controlled by the evil guy that had the box.
      then in the end she still loved her doll and keep her in the box so she wouldn't get broken and yellow. xD

It worked quite well to be honest. Now she won't knock my doll off my desk when she sees her.
      Really the vide4o can be interpreted in many different ways but why should it be interpreted into hatred towards beautifully life like dolls?

7. I've already commented on this, but I've been reading the comments of those who have posted more recently than I and I feel kind of compelled to comment again. XD I think that it's important to realize that what was done in this video was all done in good taste, or at least intended to be. The song and video put together combine a few distinct genres, or at least blur the lines at which those genres traditionally end; and it was done tastefully. I personally don't care much about the accuracy of the minute genre details, such as whether or not those dresses were really lolita or just an imitation, because the outside world, assuming they know what lolita is, will take one look at that and say "well hey, that's lolita." Using elements of a gothic- and victorian-esque setting and props, the different styles of costume design, and the different themes and elements present in the music bring together a good deal of stylistic elements that would normally never meet, let alone blend.

And in regards to the face-doll combination, although I've already said what I think about this directly, I think we may be forgetting to take into account the fact that it may very well have been intended to look frightening and a little disturbing.

8. Why is everyone talking about Kerli's voice and appearance? I thought we were here to talk about BJD's. So, without further ado:

I believe it's nice to see the BJD in this video. It is a good-looking doll and must be happy to be one of the only BJD's in a music video.

Was that hard?

9. I did the same thing! I liked the song, I loved the video (when is iTunes gonna get it?), thought the costumes and the stone bed were very cool. I even liked the lispy thing with her voice - whether it's accent or piercing, I don't care.

As for the doll? I have never been a fan of Pepstar's work. End of comment.

10. I will just say, cool another BJD in a video.... To bad all the effort gone into making the doll perfect for the vid goes kinda unnoticed due to lack of closeups. :(
      I wont comment on anything else about this singer because like another poster said, this is a BJD forum.

*Jen

11. I read some of the comments before watching the video, and I thought it was going t be terrible.

But it's a pop song?

Seriously, it's nothing different from what is on the radio all the time. And I liked the video, anything is better than twenty scantily dressed girls grating while a guy raps about his car, 'whore' of a girlfriend and bling. It was interesting, and while the graphics involving her head on the marionette were a little unsophisticated, the whole thing had a cute aesthetic.

And I normally don't find Pepstar's faceups to my taste, but I though the doll looked perfect.

12. Gabbie, that's an awesome idea and wonderful interpretation for your sister. And LOL because it's a great way to keep your doll safe!!!

13. Nice video, the set and everything matches. And that doll is just so pretty.

14. the outfit on the doll looks like ILLUSION LAKE "BRIDE" from undead threads! how cool to see a doll in a music video!

15. a couple more notes, since i just saw that this thread has grown since I left for Fanime and just finished reading through the comments:

1) yup, they got a seperate nonfaceup Flora head to do the CGI face on.
      2) yup, the doll was purchased specifically for the video. i suggested that they ebay the doll when they were done, but honestly i have no idea what they did with it when they were finished...i kind of hope Kerli liked it and took it home with her. i'll actually shoot them over an email and ask what happened with the doll.
      3) i did bring up DIM's minimee service, however due to the time constraints (we only had about a week before they started shooting the video), it was out of the question.

I'm not going to post a reply to people's negative critiques of Kerli's singing or music...to each his/her own :) I did find it really interesting to hear so many varied viewpoints! I will comment to the whole mainstream thing though...i agree that i doubt the video will make BJDs any more...or less...mainstream than before, given that it's just a prop in the video...granted it's more of a "major character" type prop, but still just a prop. That being said, I find the threads where people are "worried" that BJDs will become mainstream pretty lame, personally. It's not the rarity of BJDs that should make them precious to people. This isn't the first time we've sold dolls to production companies for commercial purposes...we've had some customized dolls on covers of books and a viral marketing company purchased a number of Obitsu dolls for their Axe body spray ad campaign. In any case, I hope we can continue to see more and more BJDs in the media!

Thanks,
      Emory

16. Here! HERE! :3 Really there were some dolls for the Axe commercials/ads? Which branding were they for? Im a graphic designer studying and what not so I like to keep up to see what things im into make it out to media. :)

17. nodnod they were the obitsu 1/6th...off topic for DoA, but i'll pm you a link to them.

18. Just seeing a BJD on something other than BJD discussion groups is just exciting in itself! It was kinda neat to see the singers face superimposed on the doll, it didn't get creapy until the doll was in the box!

19. Ok, maybe it's just me but I didn't see a tongue piercing but a labret. Secondly, She's from ESTONIA. Which means english isn't her first language so I don't know why everyone is attacking her for her diction.

Personally, I thought the music video was pretty good. Not a fan of the music but I like the concept. The Doll was beautiful and I'm glad they didn't turn her into some monster doll thing.

Overall, with a few flaws aside I think it was a good well done on the video.

20. *grin* I actually thought her diction was one of the interesting things about the video. It gives her voice a very distinctive quality... she doesn't just sound like everyone else.

And I haven't done iTunes in the past but I may, just to find this song.

But the Flora? Gorgeous. I really wish she'd had MORE airtime! So that people could have truly looked and said "wow, is that a DOLL?" (for those unfamiliar with bjds...)

Kudos to everyone who was involved in this effort either in front of or behind the scenes.