1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

BJD apps?

Sep 8, 2009

1. We already do have a doll macros thread in the Games subforum: http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168573 ;)

Personally, I'm not interested in owning an iPhone or any other "smart phone" - my cellphone already has more than enough features to keep me happy, and all I use it for is calls and texting. If I want anything more entertaining than that, I'll get out my laptop, or better yet, a book. So I'm not interested in "apps." That said, I don't think this hobby is one that lends itself to having an app of any sort custom designed for it. I'm sure there are apps already around that could be applied to ABJDs - like the shopping/budgeting ones people have already mentioned - but I don't think there's much likelihood of apps being made specifically for the doll fandom.

2. I like the idea a few people have mentioned about an inventory of your doll stuff, or something that you can input all your dolls info so if you space on what company you got the eyes from (or whatever), you can check ^.^

Another thought would be simple restringing tutorials? I don't have an issue with it really, but for some people with more complicated dolls it'd be useful to have if you're at a meet where there isn't a computer, or whatnot. In case of spontaneous stringing accidents.

3. To my eyes ... that isn't the best idea... If someone did that... the hobby would be known to anyone who has and iPhone, therefore, more people would be getting into the hobby and then ..... where's the fun of it if everyone's got a doll?

4. I don't think so. There's still the price tag to scare the masses away, let's be honest. And I don't think it'd kill any of us if our hobby got a little more popular.
      But to stay on topic, even if we had BJD related apps .. having them out there does NOT mean it's automatically feautured on iTunes or anything the like and I think some of the ideas stated in this thread are quite nice.

5. I have an Android phone (T-Mobile Pulse running Android 1.5 cupcake) and even though I cannot think of a single application specific to BJDs that I would like to have, BJD-themed themes to applications like Beautiful Widgets would be nice. And some nice wallpapers too for iPhone / Android / WinMo...

I can skin Beautiful Widgets quite easily as I have the DEV version for theming... :D

Phil.

6. oh gosh, an iphone app that could do alot of what others say. List all known companies and dolls, what clothes/wigs/eyes/etc. fit and are compatible, what skins match...basically what everyone wants to know from this forum <3 oh my gosh that would be awesome! I bet a lot of work to put into it too X.x but I'd get that app :D Basically an app that's not only great for beginners, but has features great for us intermediate/advance folks. Common questions answered, where to find what. It would make things so much convenient.
      Or even personal stuff like, personal dollie profiles, etc. <3

7. I have an iPhone / Android / WinMo friendly version of my web site and it is not that hard to do it to DoA - Android Central Forums has done it, and they use the same forum software as DoA.

If DoA did that then we would have our ideal Android / iPhone application in our phone's web browser - DoA Forums Mobile...

Phil.

8. I could write an app. It's what I do for work. Got iPhone SDK. Most of the stuff being suggested would have to exist somewhere else first, like Databases, etc.

Something to make browsing DOA easier would be nice, but could be alot of work. Probably have to charge for it. Not sure how DOA would feel about that. I've got alot of free time lately...might be fun to write. It's basically writting a custom web browser.

I used to keep a paper one I printed out in my wallet but it tore too easily. Now I have one of those tape measures from Ikea.

9. What about one where you have a virtual BJD, like a virtual pet? :3 Dress it, give it faceups.. maybe feed it? XD;; I dunno.

10. Nice idea, but then it would only work on the iPhone and not on Android or WinMo, and you'd then be only catering for a mere third of smartphone users.

It's easier for DoA to add the mobile devices plug-in to vBulletin that automatically recognises a mobile device and renders the site in a way that is easier to use on a touch screen device.

Phil.

11. Faceup app or an app that lets you try different wigs and eyes on your doll.

12. I would definitely use an all-BJD database app and a personal inventory app (to keep track of my collection, accessories, etc) and an app for DOA would be great, too. It is a little hard to navigate DOA on the phone, but I do it all the time to keep in touch with customers.

13. Sorry I didn't read through the thread, but an app to keep track of all your dolls and who did which faceup, what wig they have, where the eyes are from, who made the outfit... You get the idea. An artistic credit app.

Amalia

14. I asked the mods about this once. The software they use to run the form can be converted to "mobile browsing". I never got an answer on if they'll do it or not. The thread used to be in the Forum FAQ area, but I can't find it any more.

15. You could make an album for that right here on DoA. :3 Just have it in the picture description.

16. I think now that there are a lot more people with smart phones these days who actually do go on the site via their devices, it might be time for them to do it.

I have gone on DoA on my T-Mobile Pulse (Android 1.5 cupcake). Android Central Forums are far easier to navigate with their mobile devices version.

Phil.

17. You should tell apple to make one :D

18. Very interesting!!!
      I dont have an I phone, and i agree, i hate blythe dolls but it would be cool!!!
      That may be a coolio thing!

19. I'd get it, if there was one, I could NOT live without my iPhone, it's the most useful thing I own by far. I tried searching for BJDs once too but found nothing. I have no idea about app making though, and I imagine there might be a legality/copyright thing associated with it which may be why no one's made one yet. It'd be cool if companies made apps though, but hopefully in English...

But I like apps and that kind of thing because sometimes I just want a handy little pocket thing and not a full blown webbrowser website search, I like when it's simple and to the point and I can just touch the screen to navigate -OMG a ladybug just crawled on my hand and scared the crap out of me - and dollies on the ol' iPhone would be so cool!

20. Ah, that would be interesting. Personally, I find the number of apps available mind-boggling, but then again, I still have my old, free-with-plan flip phone (I don't even have internet access on it! gasp!). I'd love a smartphone, though, and anything BJD-related would probably catch my interest. And so much Blythe-hating! They're not exactly my cup of tea, but I can see their charm, and I'd happily look at pictures, and would probably get the Blythe app more out of curiosity than anything else.