1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

bjd in local news

Oct 27, 2008

1. I am not sure about the article. I think it was a bit uninformed and it did not have much to do about collecting, it was more about informing what a BJD is, which is fine. I did not expect much, but it was a bit cheesy IMO. I praise Josh for trying his very best in a short period of time to tell about his passion for dolls.

YAY! Josh!

I dont think that his recommending a local store is lying or misconstrued. The brands are completely different and one could probably save on shipping if they buy from the US based retailer. You should compare same brands, same dolls.

~Gus

2. It seems like it was a part in a series of perhaps more uncommon collectibles, the poor guy doing the interview probably knew he had limited time to get out his info. He did well XD

I'm also not bothered by them calling the dolls "rare"... most people I tell about the dolls have no idea what they are. "Uncommon" might have been a more apt word, but rare is what came out, and it's not soooo far off the mark as to be entirely misleading.

3. Completely agree with you... it seems they were on a very limited time.. And the camera man and the woman anchor didn't seem to be helping too much. :)

4. Lol, thanks :)
      Just figured that 1) trying to educate an elitist doesn't work regardless of the facts and 2) there are plenty of intelligent, open-minded people on here so i don't need to waste my breath and finally 3) i have a bunch of orders tonight i should be concentrating on taking care of, lol.

5. I found that Josh (who I will assume is the guy) sincerely wanted to share his love for dolls to the world. And it was very encouraging. Not bringing up how expensive the dolls could be, makes it so that more people could possibly join in the fun.
      It's people like Josh that make the hobby more approachable for people who don't know most about it. :aheartbea

6. I was going to say, I'm pretty sure your shipment volume speaks louder than words, lol. Anyone who's looked at what you do knows you don't sell cheap crap.
      The plug was much deserved and definitely a good direction to point people starting out in.

Honestly, some of the asian sites would probably put people off when they realize they have no idea how to actually order the item... let alone pay for it. Mentioning something more locally based was definately a smart move on the interviewee.

7. I actually have a Souldoll Gisele shipping from Junkyspot tonight *rejoices* and will soon be getting two more Souldolls from him! He owns my wallet for the next month lol.

8. I liked it and just shows there are crazy morning entertainment reports all over the country no matter where you are lol. I think it was wonderful JunkySpot was mentioned as new collectors can find a distributor far less intimidating than ordering from another country. Not to mention shipping is way faster :). That was why I went through JS for both my Shoyo and Megi-2 and I would go back to them if I had to order them all over again.

One thing about the rude comments, yes opinions are allowed and yes it would have been funnier if Jay mentioned how much a limited Volks or Luts doll went for, but it's a local TV station and JS is a local business. It's good it was said. I know if we had such a popular distributor here in Chicago, there be a plug for that cause it's a local business that deserves some attention for the success it has had. I say "yay!" for the plug and "yay" for someone not making us BJD owners look crazy like the NPR report :|

9. I loved the interview just because the guy looked happy with all his beautiful dolls! (my favorite is the elf one, does anyone know what kind of BJD is he?) as for the interviewers...I didn't care too much about them, the girl interrupted him a lot...

BTW, I didn't know there was a BJD site called 'Junkyspot'. I always wanted to buy a doll from Dollzone and DIM but I never figured out how to order from their websites...*visits website* umm it seems they're in USA, and they accept money orders!!:o (the only payment method I can use at the moment ~~) Yay! this is awesome!! I'm so glad I decided to check out this thread. :D

10. aww thanks guys...sorry i got a little snarky there for a moment, the negativity of those comments annoyed me.

yumi, that was a Bobobie Weylin!

i will totally admit that the female announcer threw me for a little loop too, lol. but what i really love about the segment is josh's evident love of the genre, and of course, more bjd exposure to the soon-to-be-newbies :)

11. As a total newbie, it was great to see a variety of the dolls actually with a person to help get a better idea of scale. I thought he did a great job in the limited time he had, both getting across important info, presenting the hobby as something NOT freaky, and dealing with the standard constant interruptions from the news crew. I also think the mention of a local business was wise - many of the company sites I've seen are not that well translated and kind of confusing especially to a newbie. I'm thinking when I order my first I might go with Denver Doll, just to be on the safe side.

While the one anchorwoman I kind of know in person is very sweet, I've never seen one on TV that didn't constantly interrupt and wasn't super-overly-perky. Especially on the morning shows. I suspect they must brew the coffee extra-strong since they have to get up so early. ;)

12. I second this!!

And this!!

I also loved the way he showed the doll that was being restrung - i haven't seen a doll like that (outside the how-to-do forums) and it made it seem like a less intimidating task (have yet to restring my Megu)

13. He had a nice collection, I am glad to see another male in this collection. Hahaha, I bet he is on DoA, andjust hasn't seen this thread yet. Lol

14. I actually liked this. Lol I thought it was a little odd that one of the only bjd news/interviews that I have seen that doesnt make us all look crazy, has the reporters dressed in wedding gear lol did I miss something?

The whole joint ball dolls, alien thing, and pointing out the obvious part annoyed me a little at first but the more i think about it they dont know as much as we do and i cant blame her for getting those wrong. (however the other dolls got in the way, i dont think the camera people knew where to go)

I think it was a good interview =]

edit: im glad they recomended junkyspot i hear they are fantastic to work with and even if they are cheaper (however IMO they are not "cheap" just not on the more expensive side) isnt it best to start out slow with the newbies?

15. I really liked that he had ball joint dolls that were the european kind as well as the asian ones, great way to show the diversity of dolls in a hobby to new people. He seems like a really cool guy that loves this and that's fantastic :)

And to add, I'm glad he did mention a reseller in the USA. If it hadn't been for a reseller in Canada I would have had NO IDEA how the heck to even get a doll like this. Also to say a company like Luts for example is more well known or more liked is pretty bupkiss. I own an AOD, I don't give a frack if it's a "cheaper" doll, it's the one I like. I like Luts, Soom, Dollzone and other companies work but I certainly wouldnt' call one of them more well known or popular. And the price for a doll through a reseller has matched getting one directly from Asia. Anyways, I found reading that insanely snobbish, I for one am extremely thankful for the North American resellers I have dealt with.

16. I dont thing he did, the rest of the collection as far as I could see were made up of Tonner dolls, Bisque and Porcelain Antiques...

17. Many of the collectible Bisques that were German did have ball joints, so I thought a couple were that kind.

18. just putting my two cents in... but I have no idea how many people I have had to explain my dolls to and hand them a slip of paper with junkyspot's site on it. I told them that it was much cheaper and easier to work with Emory[due to shipping costs and language barriers] and because of junkyspot being there, I actually got a few people involved in the hobby that never would have even tried, seeing the price tag and THEN the shipping prices directly from the companies....

I think, considering he had so little time, this josh guy did the best he could and I really appreciate that he had pretty much every size there from the tiny bobobies to the tall lanky dollzones*hugs her Yuu* Kinda makes me proud to be a doll owner.

edit: and did I forget to mention.. the tootsie pops that emory has tossed in with my orders were never gummy and always yummy?^.^ Love the little treats he tosses in!

19. I was hoping he'd give a rough scale of the price seeing the Weylin in there from around $200-$1000. That would have been less of a turn off than stating the $600 price.

I'm also glad to see a documentary that isn't about Volks. I've seen too many where they make it out to be that's the only company producing Ball Jointed Dolls.

20. Yeah it is rather sad actually that people can't express their personal opinions. Hmm how interesting a free plug for Junkyspot. Personally i wasn't at all happy with the interview, as it appeared to me (This being my own personal opinion) that there were a few inaccuracies.

Disclaimer: i would just like to state that this is my PERSONAL opinion, it's not meant to offend. I am just merely commenting on what i saw and as Dr Phil says "One's perception is one's reality." Everybody is entitled to their own view point, thoughts, feelings and opinions and is allowed to express them. After all that's what the 1st amendment of the American Constitution states and allows for. Freedom of speech amongst other Freedom's and liberties listed. Especially by those frequenting this website who reside in America.