1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

bjd in local news

Oct 27, 2008

1. It's one thing to share a personal opinion. It's quite another to come across as a snarky jackass while doing it. :roll:

Edit: I, for one, was thrilled with the interview. I found the slipups and goofs hilarious, myself, and I cheered at the plug for Junkyspot (have an Elfdoll on layaway with Emory right now). Although I will admit that when he said it was hard to find them I kinda scoffed. These dolls are amazingly easy to find if one knows how to properly navigate a web browser. heh heh

2. McKitty, personal opinion is one thing, being ignorant and generally rude about something then hiding behind "zomg but it's my OPINION!!!" is another entirely, it's perfectly possible to voice an opinion -yes even one that goes against the grain- without sounding like a total tit if you actually have your facts straight.
      I'm getting rather tired of hearing the 'freedom of speech' schtick, I'm sorry but 'freedom of speech' is not a free pass to say what you want regardless of the consequences and offense you may cause, everything someone says, especially somewhere like this where the written word is all we have comes with consequences, perhaps people need to consider that more before whinging about freedom of speech.

I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the fact all the BJDs featured seemed to be DZs (though I could be wrong, it's a little hard to tell), it would've been nice to see a little more variety brand wise but hey, any publicity is good publicity.

3. Expressing personal opinions is fine, I think it was the dreadful rudeness and laughable ignorance that most people disliked. Considering it was the 'JunkySpot guy'* who started the thread it was intensely rude to say that JunkySpot only sells cheap dolls! Surely the poster should have realised that her 'harmless little opinion' wouldn't be seen as harmless by the very business owner she just dissed :roll: Context is everything, people, context!!

Also...not everyone here is American and freedom of speech is not uniquely American either. I would rather hope that good manners and a regard for other people's feelings is a universal thing, but I'm being increasingly proved otherwise :|

No one will be 100% happy with the interview, but they were asking about this man's collection, not yours, not mine. For an overview of the hobby within constrained time, I think it did quite well. We as a community neither look like nutjobs with a loli/shota side nor spoiled rich kids and where's the wrong in someone plugging their favourite place to obtain a doll? We're all going to have different opinions on that...and if freedom of speech is so precious, Josh Mathews has the right to say where he got his dolls from and why he goes back to the same place!

*I'm sorry I don't know your name :sweat

4. I wish people would stop pulling the "Freedom of Speech" card.
      Yes, you are free to say what you like, but we are free to tell you "Yes, but that was very rude and thoughtless, and you're a bad person for saying it that way."

The way you word things is very important. It's fine to not care, but in such a public forum a person should be more sensative. Especially when the topic creator is the JunkySpot owner.

Personal opinion is fine, but don't throw politeness and manners out the door.

I didn't say anything last night because the comment made me rather angry. I waited until I could calm down.

Please do not make the rest of us North American and english speakers look bad by flaunting such 'rights' when you abuse them and do not give them proper respect. We're lucky to have them.

5. junkyspot is my favorite place to get bjds. and prefer to buy from him if i can. emory is the greatest, and best help. i'm happy he got some free publicity for the locals. it's well deserved and well placed.

my first stop for dolls is the market place, just out of ease. and then straight to emory's lovely webpage if i can. some dolls he doesn't sell. :( but emory is also very flexible, and allows people to get the pricer dolls with layaway. (i love you for that emory! so does gav cause he wouldn't be home other wise)

however, i couldn't get through much of the show. >_< woman annoyed me that quickly.

6. Yes, that woman was annoying XD

Honestly, I won't be doing much doll-buying for now unless I can find a Canadian seller for what I need. (SOOM monthlies are exempt from this rule. >>;; ) Just.. if it's a non-limited release, I'll wait until the Canadian dollar is doing a bit better. I love Junkyspot and Emory, but I just can't afford the exchange rate!

7. Pretty sure Featherfall is located in Canada :)

8. trust me, as most will agree, you were justified. You do not sell 'cheap stuff', and the comments made it sound demeaning to you. I've done business with you in the past, and not only do you ONLY do business with high quality product, but your customer service is unmatched. :) I've heard more than once, when people want to buy a doll: "Oh, i don't know about that doll, i've heard REALLLLY bad things about the quality of their dolls" and the the answer: "Oh, well, here, go to Junkyspot, and buy it there....they ONLY deal with the good quality, and you won't go wrong"

I think that, and your sales volumes speak louder than anything else ;)

9. *rolls eyes* Reporters are supposed to be informed about their topics (or at least the name of what they're reporting on!) before they talk about them. That's what I learned in my broadcasting classes. It's annoying that after hearing the first few things Kelly said, I could instantly predict what she was going to say when they revealed the price, etc.

I love that they did a story at all on them, though! I just wish we could move past the "This is a BJD. Here is an explanation" type of story.

10. I appreciate the service that Junkyspot and other local sellers bring. My girl friend just ordered from one of those Asian companies and now has to wait a month or more before she gets it. I was aghast that you'd have to wait that long and that these companies didn't have any stock on hand.

Thus, it offers a service to get your order within a week or so instead of the monthly wait.

11. My highest wait time was for a Unidoll (Feanor) from Dolls and Friends. It totalled almost 6 months. People who ordered from Unidoll around the same time got their dolls about 4 months before me. Ordering from an American site really does not save on time. (not every doll they carry is going to be in stock....most of them are preorders)

12. I thought the interview was interesting, however, I would have liked to see more variety amongst the dolls.

Plugging one site above all others is a little annoying, especially if people have no idea what they are. He should have pointed people to DOA, where they can, at the very least, get educated on what BJDs are, where you can buy them and their general price range (from regular releases to very limited). There are far more resources here on DOA than there are on Junkyspot, no matter how much you love them. Education should be one of the foremost things people do with others who are interested/don't know about BJDs. It would be far sadder if someone saw that interview, then went to Junkyspot, only to order a doll they absolutely hated. Then where would they be?

Kudos to Josh for being in that interview, even though the female anchor was obnoxious. Even if he didn't want to plug DOA, he could have at least said "You should do a web search on Asian Ball Jointed Dolls for more information if you're interested in them." That would point potential new collectors in the right direction.

13. WOW go Josh go WHOOT for Junkyspot! congrats!

14. God, I hate it when a thread degenerates into an exchange of insulting posts that don't include one word about dolls! Can't you take it offline, guys?

I watched the show half-way through, and thought it was okay for what it was: filler. Of course, the news clowns were trying to read their lines cold from idiot cards prepared in advance by the writer who interviewed the doll collector. Things always have to be cut and condensed and I think the writer and collector did a great job given the constraints they were working under.

As for the plug for JunkySpot, if you are interested in spreading the religion of BJDs (I am undecided myself), you should be happy that any merchant gets a plug. Besides, if a viewer becomes interested in BJDs where should he start? Den of Angels? Den of Lions, more like it! I am still wandering the maze of the forums, only occasionally seeing the light of day.

If you want a good program or artical on BJDs, why not take the initiative? Get some friends together and work out some angles that would be entertaining to the general populace. I would start out with a local newspaper and maybe a specific a columnist and pitch the idea to them. Generally they are always ready to have features that they can prepare in advance and have on file for a slow news day.

Broadcast tv can be dangerous, especially live tv, unless it is produced by someone you know you can trust. In the broadcast media, some people think that anything goes, no matter how slimy, to attract the watching public. It might be better to produce a program yourself to be aired on YouTube or similar internet channel.

If you live in Los Angeles, there are lots of graduates in Film and Broadcast Media working at menial day jobs making short films for the internet in the hopes of being noticed. In fact, you can get writers, cameramen, sound men, and even actors for free if they think they can come up with some they can show off -- like a good documentary. As for equipment, a good prosumer camera would probably be adequate, but I admit that it might be necessary to rent lights and sound equipment.

If someone else has done this already, point me to it. I'm sure that I would learn a lot from it, and I would love to have something to show to my uncomprehending friends!

Ranma

15. They're not reporters, they're presenters. Most presenters on tv shows don't know everything about the person they're interviewing too, particularly if the person isn't famous or has a well-known hobby.

I wish there were fora in public media for better example of what BJD are and what our community is like, but until our dolls become Barbies, we're not going to get that. Most people where I come from won't have seen a BJD before, so I have to explain what they are and where they come from before I can go into my personal doll collection and characters and why I personally love BJD, I don't get irritated, I just do my bit because I know they will go away being better informed and next time they see a BJD they will either be more appreciative of what BJD are, or at least they will be less dismissive of our hobby.

16. Great vid!! Thanks for sharing it. Now I want the tall one he had in the back. :D

17. it was a dollzone ying in the dollzone yuu promo outfit and a wig that im not exactly sure where it came form lol:sweat

18. I liked the interview! Yeah the news-people looked like goofs, but who hasn't seen that before?

Great plug for Junky Spot! I've bought several dolls from Emory, and I think he's great! (Hope you got alot of business from that plug!)

19. Actually you are incorrect in this case. From what I have been told, JunkySpot ONLY displays items that are in stock. The only time this differs is after conventions, however the inventory is changed to reflect this.

If other stores are pre-order only, then really I would not shop at them if they offer no incentive to choose their store over ordering elsewhere.

20. Ah, right! Thanks =)
      I keep forgetting about Featherfall.

I wonder if they list in USD Or CAD. Some Canadian retailers still list in US. ><;