1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

BJD Orbyrarium Discussion Thread

Apr 25, 2006

1. I'd love a second volume. I thought the first one was great! It was nicely put together with great photos.

2. I also bought the orby and like it as a reference but think more could have been done with it since many of the face mods are rather similar i was hoping for more variety. and sadly my book is one of the ones were the binding split and pages want to fall out. There are many good ideas for outfits to build! same as the Haute Doll magazines, they have lots of good ideas for new outfits too! I would be interested to see another volume.

3. I have the orby as well,and found it quite a good read.Haven't tried any of the projects yet,but my kids and I love looking at the pictures. I would definitely buy a second volume if it came out.

4. I got it when I ordered my second doll.

What mistakes are there in it? I noticed soemone emntionign there are mistakes in it.

5. I :aheartbea the BJD orbyrarium. I still haven't read everything yet. A second book would be great. I would definetly buy it, and another limited doll :love

6. I would be interested in a second volume but I would suggest finding a publisher that actually does decent binding. When my husband bought my book for me as a gift, I opened it up for the first time and the cover fell off. He contacted the seller, she checked and all her copies were in that state (she offered to replace it but pointed out it wouldn't accomplish much). It is pretty infuriating to pay $25 or so for a book that can't keep its cover on for five minutes, and I baby my books.

7. I would definitely be interested in buying a second one. And yeah, I have the same binding split issue, and though it hasn't fallen apart yet, I'm sort of waiting for it to :sweat I thought it was just because of the AZ heat, but guess it's a fairly common problem ^^;;

But the pictures were really nice, as were the tutorials and the like. Good for noobs like me XD

8. I didn't see anywhere that a thread had been made about this, so I figured I'd share.

This book is AMAZING. My copy just came in the mail and to anyone who DOES NOT have it, GET IT. Alot of times it is back-ordered (it's that good) and I just happened to have gotten lucky and got mine shipped out the same day. It's a BJD's companion's (or soon-to-be companion) best friend.

9. If you're new to dolls this book could be amazing, or if you want to read the interviews and look at the pictures of the dolls. The binding is for crap even though it's sewn, every time I open it I feel the signatures will fall out.

My opinion comes from someone with a few years of knowledge and experience with custom dolls and in many ways I feel it's just an expanded ABJ version of Haute. I've never quite liked the pictures of ABJs in most mags, the dolls always look zoned out and uninteresting and are pretty much always dressed in some form of goth or lolita outfit. More patterns for different sized dolls more people might have would have been nice, the hat is helpful.

10. I liked the Orbyrarium because it was sort of a "snapshot" of the hobby at a particular place in time, before it got so huge.

I don't know how anyone would even begin to do a second volume. There are wayyyyy too many companies out there to fit them all into one book. When you add in stuff like patterns and how-tos and stories, that would make a whole multi-volume encyclopedia.

11. Well now, wouldn't that be a great idea! An entire encyclopedia of BJDs. The Colemans did a two huge volume set of that on antique dolls & I think something similar for BJDs would be wonderful. It would be terribly expensive but well worth saving for.

12. It does sound like a nice idea, Gwydion, if perhaps the library paid for it and I could just go check out volumes and look at it. If I had to actually pay the cost of an encyclopedia, though, I'd probably rather be using that money to pay for actual dolls and doll clothes rather than just pictures of them :)

13. I received my Orbyrarium yesterday and after looking at it for about 15 minutes, the binding fell apart. I'm not really mad, but I'll still contact their customer service because I feel it's ridiculous that they'd make such a bad binding. I can't wait to try all the pattern!

14. I bought this book a month ago and I think it's great!

It has exactly the information I need, being a new BJD owner and the patterns are also really neat. If there was a second book, I would definitely get it as well. I'd like to see some more advanced things though, now that I know the basics :D.

15. I got my copy at a doll and teddy bear fair this spring, then read it cover to cover. It's a pretty good reference for the basic care and maintenance of bjd's. The interviews were fun, too.

16. huh, I didn't realize the problem with the binding was such a wide-spread issue. Mine fell apart pretty much instantaneously; I turned a few pages and the cover fell right off. I just assumed that the glue had melted while in transit and I had touched it too soon before allowing it to re-glue itself.

I didn't read the whole thread, but another thing I noticed was that the grey coloration on the front of the book comes off on my hands and other things I stack the book on. Its pretty annoying.

Content wise, the book is awesome. When it was time to introduce my first BJD to my hick-town friends and family, I took the book with me so I could show them 'Hey, this doll is a big deal, and its super awesome" so that it wouldn't be mistaken for some much larger Barbie.

It would all depend on price and content if there were a second edition available. If it seemed like there was enough new information in it and the price was still realitivley inexpensive, I'd be interested. If they just released an updated version of the original w/ better binding and some editorial type updates, I think it'd be a good idea for the noobs, but not for me.