1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Bobobie 60cm Apollo discussion

Oct 5, 2007

1. You've already stated some important things in your post. The jointed hands thing and the clothing thing are true.

So I'm going to mention another important thing. SDs are heavy. They're light enough for you to pick them up and carry it around but they're heavy, probably like a baby, so your arms would hurt after carrying them for a while. MSDs don't have this problem.

Whenever I play with my SD, I need to be supporting her on some surface just so I don't get to deal with her weight.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, I love the size and the weight; but it is hard on my arms and back sometimes. I'm not used to carrying heavy things around.

She must be somewhere around 5lbs which doesn't sound too much until you pick her up and hold her for a little while.

So my recommendation would be: if you pick Apolo, play with him while you're sitting on your bed, or couch, or desk, or floor.

I won't tell you which doll to get because it's your decision alone, but I figured I'd mention this which you probably haven't thought about.

2. RS have nicer looking bodies imo, they just look more... refined. But there's no reason you can't get Apollo on a RS sd body. However, be aware that Bobobie are absolutely rubbish at getting back to you, so if you order one you'll have to go through a dealer to get a response. Frustrating.
      Resinsoul on the other hand have amazing customer service.

In terms of size, I don't own any SD dolls, my largest doll is 50cm and she's about my limit size wise. I find her a little bit awkward to display and to play with because she's so well.. chunky and tall.
      I'm not a big person haha, so a doll that's half my size is a bit intimidating.

I do however have a few msd. I like msd size because it feels a bit more special than something barbie sized, the extra size makes them feel Idunno... I bit more "worth the price" lol. Like you I came from fashion dolls into bjds, and I will warn you, it is a bit different.

Rong is gorgeous btw. I don't own one yet, but I have three RS msd dolls and one more on the way and they're gorgeous. I'm really impressed with them. Okay their jointing can be a bit kicky, and they can have a mind of their own pose wise but much more expensive dolls have the same issues.
      Clothing isn't too bad. Worth noting that slim msd like the resinsoul dolls can actually fit Teen Trends clothing quite nicely and the girls can wear Ken teeshirts lol. Teen trends stuff isn't that hard to find even though it's a discontinued brand, and it's very useful because the shoes fit as well (though can be a bit awkward to get off again thanks to the jointed ankle)

I quite like Apollo's face though too, as well as RS's Long and Gang. Ahem.

[​IMG]

this image might help with an idea of size. the bjd here is a resinsoul Song head on a Mei body. Rong's a very similar height, I think she might be a cm or two taller but it's close enough.

I say go with what your heart says. The advantage of BBB and RS is they're relatively affordable for BJDs, so saving up isn't quite so painful. You could also check out the second hand market here and on facebook in case someone's selling either for less than retail in a colour you were looking at.

Of course, sites like Junkyspot have "in stock" dolls too, which avoids the month or more wait... heh. Always helpful and very dangerous for impulse spends.

I suspect i'll take the plunge on an sd doll eventually, but personally I found msd to be a nice in between size to get me used to larger dolls. They aren't too heavy or akward to redress, their clothing is large enough that sewing it isn't quite so fiddly (Omg monster high are so hard to sew for eeek) and you don't need a lot of strength to get their hands/feet/head on and off. I do sometimes need husband help with heads, getting the S hook back up into the head because i'm weak as heck, but I imagine it'd be waaaay harder with an sd doll.

Still, Apollo is adorable.

I say go with what your heart says and don't fret too much because there's no reason you can't get the other one at a later date right? I mean, they aren't limited sculpts or anything, they're not going anywhere. I'm slowly working my way through RS msd sculpts myself lol. Then I might move up... unless a big boy shows up super cheap somewhere and my hand... slips and hits "buy" ahem.

3. If you haven't already done so, I would find threads that might discuss the advantages and disadvantages to taking care of MSD vs SD size dolls. The difference between Rong and Apollo is around 20cm which is a pretty huge gap in size, and it seems you're not entirely sure what your max size preference is yet. I would also look up owner pictures of both of the dolls.

My only doll is 45cm so I can't speak for SD size, but she's very easy to handle and carry around. She also doesn't take up a lot of space in the room; I even store her in her box but it can easily fit in a closet or something.
      If you're going to get a 60cm doll, consider how much space you have available to store that doll (and where you will store things that belong to them), and how much heavier the doll will be.

Above all, remember that you might be able to save up for another doll in the future.
      You can always start with MSD size knowing it's what you're comfortable with and get the doll you've been anticipating for a long time, and then you can move your way up to a bigger size in the future if you want.
      Of course, the final decision is yours. Hope this helped.

4. Since you mentioned having Monster High dolls and barbies, I'll give you advice I've given a lot of people! When I started, I had no point of reference on the size and got an SD because I loved the way she looked. Then, she sat for 7 years in her box until I sold her mid-last year finally (now she's in a happy, loving home).

The thing that finally cemented my decision to sell her was getting a 17" MH doll. 17" is 43cm, which is just a teeny bit smaller than a standard A-Line minifee (41cm). I had customized one 17" MH doll and I LOVE playing with her. She's easy to display and photograph. For me, her size is just right. As I was playing with her one night, I realized it was time for me to sell Elodae (my big girl) to make room for a minifee.

The massive MH dolls that they released this year for christmas (24" I think?) are around 70cm, the size of a bigger SD doll. If you've seen them in stores and thought they were a bit big, an SD sized doll is going to be big, too. Think about that size comparison and try to decide which one will work best for you!

Alternatively, try to go to some local doll meetups if you have any. Ask (politely) if someone will let you pose their SD vs someone else's MSD (remember, it's okay if they say no)! You might be able to get a feel just from looking at the dolls at a meetup as well. :)

5. I would suggest going to a few meet ups in your area so you know what to expect when it comes to sizing.

I started off with YOSDs because they were small and didn't take up much room and I had a fear that I wouldn't like them as much in person as I did looking at pictures online. I ended up splurging on a MSD by Luts because I loved the way she looked and thought i would regret not getting it (she was a limited sculpt), I ended up enjoying the size a lot more than I thought I would.

Being able to see and handle them is probably going to be the best way to decide (though there is no reason not to get both).

6. Honestly the best way to find out what size is best for you is to attend a meet up and see the different sized dolls for yourself, in person. It's hard to really determine what size is best by judging different play line doll sizes- the height may be similar, but proportions and weight will be way different. Another thing to consider is will your first doll be a common size that's easy to shop for or will a lot of things need to be custom made.

7. I prefer MSD and learned it the hard way... Now I have two SD dolls that I need to sell, and they're not very popular sculpts.
      Another thing about Resinsoul vs. Bobobie--my Resinsoul dolls came in very nice carrying cases. My Bobobie doll (which admittedly was purchased secondhand) came in a drawstring bag. Personally, I would buy Resinsoul over Bobobie if it was a sculpt offered by both companies, just to get the carrying case to go with my doll.

8. Interesting to read all the opinions voiced here. I've had both a Resinsoul SD & a Bobobie MSD, and I love to sew for my dolls.
      Neither of my dolls had double jointing as it was a few years ago, so their posing was ok but not amazing. The sculpts from both companies are lovely but over time I became more attached to other dolls & have sold both.
      My SD wasn't all that heavy. Not like some of the companies! My MSD was a great size for go anywhere fun, an easy handful to keep an eye on (as long as I kept her wig & shoes from flying!) Folks are right, there is a big difference between the two heights.
      Here's my Bobobie Ariel in front of a 70cm Nobility doll. A 60cm guy would have gotten his head in the photo. ;D
      [​IMG]

Because I love sewing, I found that I prefer sewing for the SD size dolls where shoulders, sleeves & darts weren't such a fussy miniature challenge. So when my collection felt too overwhelming, it was the MSDs that I decided to sell to concentrate more on my SDs. Of course after that I started falling in love with "children" for my SDs....and have ended up adding 3 tinies & a chubby MSD in the last couple of years....which means tiny sewing again! >///<

My SDs aren't a haul around play size, I love sewing for them & standing them up on the shelf for long periods where I can look at them & imagine stories about their character until another sewing idea strikes my fancy.
      The MSDs & tinies are a much easier size to take about. So you'll have to consider what you plan to do with your dolls.
      If you were hoping to sew in order to sell clothes to pay for more dolls (which was my original plan like many other folks), you will quickly learn that there are as many size variations as there are body sculpts available on the market!?!?! And making clothes adjustable to fit many is indeed a challenge few have succeeded at tackling. But, if you simply enjoying sewing to create clothes for the dolls you enjoy, I'm sure you will find either size of doll inspiring as I have.

For more reference info check out this discussion thread:
      Resinsoul and Bobobie Mini Discussion Thread - Part 31
      There may be something similar for SD if you do a search.

9. Lots of great info here,but one thing I did want to mention is that Bobobie and ResinSoul are sister companies and their casting is done in the same resin types/colors, so it really doesn't matter which you choose, the resin will be the same. Some sealants (and often lack of sealant) can make a doll look very shiny. If you coat your doll in MSC, it will make it much less shiny.

Also, size is really a personal preference. My first doll was MSD and I found I like SD a lot better. BBB/RS resin is very light weight compared to a lot of other companies, so even if you do choose SD, he won't be nearly as heavy as a lot of large BJDs, but still obviously heavier than Rong would be.

10. Thank you so much everyone for all the outstanding info. You have all given me a lot to think about. I tend to have a lot more male characters when I write. I still love the RS Rong, still might get her one day. But I think I might try to shoot for the Bobobie Apollo. I just have never been so hijacked by a character. I already have a name for the guy when I didn't have any ideas for the RS Rong. I dunno. I have never made guy clothing either so maybe this will turn into an awesome little adventure. Even tho Apollo has single joints I like the actual ball, ball-joint. Maybe I will end up getting a different body another time. Of course I say all this and am liable to change my mind last min ha ha but when I know you guys will because I will have pictures everywhere lol

11. Bobobie Apollo will be less than 3 lbs. As far as weight goes, you probably won't find a lighter weight 60cm doll than him! I have a Bobobie Weylin, and I adore him. You will probably want to restring your Apollo when he arrives, because Bobobie uses pretty thin elastic.

The first BJD I was considering buying was 43cm, but I bought a 60cm instead. I'm very glad I did. I love the size and imposing presence of them. I also planned to get a girl to start with, and ended up with a boy. He is still my favorite. I hope everything works out well for you!

Linda S.
      galatia9

12. I just ordered him as well and I'm pretty excited for him to get here!

13. I'm going to get Apollo for my next doll. He'll be my first SD :)

14. I've had my Apollo for some time and it didn't take me long to get acquainted with him. Now that I've had him for a while, he's just like a doll that has been there forever.

15. I ordered Apollo May 1st! I'm absolutely impatient waiting for him to get here. This thread is awesome! The pics are keeping me satiated until he gets here.

16. Anyone still active on this post?? ❤️

17. do you still own this doll and wig? i am desperately looking for that wig :) i hope you are still active on this board and can provide me with some information where to get that wig :)

18. hello @PaulM ! I'm still around-ish. I do still have Trez. I believe that wig was from Dream of Doll back in the day. However, I haven't been able to find it again. I'm sorry that wasn't more helpful. I do know that there are some customer wig makers on Etsy that have a similar pattern, but they are half mo-hair.

19. I ADORE that you have two of the same doll! If you do end up getting a blue Apollo I would really enjoy seeing some pictures of them together. I am very curious to know what specifically about the Apollo sculpt keeps you coming back? Aside from being dashingly handsome of course!