1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Bobobie Doll Question

Jul 6, 2008

1. One huge point in their favour is they are the only company I have bought from that sells seamless dolls. Their quality is fantastic, and the reason their prices are so low is because of their production method and their lower profit margin in comparison to the larger companies. I own several of their dolls and intend on owning more, the only down side to their dolls is they tend to be strung a little too loosely and with elastic that IMO is a bit thin, and their dolls are strung without 's' hook. Though this is not a reason to be deterred and there are ways around the absence of 's' hooks. Resin Soul dolls are also manufactured by Bobobie as are the Nabi kiss and Ppo Ppo dolls. There are also a couple of our own artists here on DoA who have their dolls manufactured by Bobobie. I have also had a custom cast (2 dolls only) done by them and the result was exceptional!!

Have a look at these databases for a better idea of their dolls, the company pictures are fairly awful!!
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147243
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175027
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119267

Also ordering directly from Bobobie is an example of brilliant customer service, the owner (Dennis) takes a great deal of pride n his work and more often than not will answer your questions personally!! There is an average wait time for dolls custom ordered (or not in stock) and the shipping costs are well below the average...

2. I have two Sprites and a Resin Soul Ju. I ordered the Ju directly from Resin Soul but that was only because they had an event with free bags. Dennis (Bobobie's owner) is really nice and helpful and you get a great service. For instand I wanted my Sprites to have mature bodies and that was no problem at all. I also know someone bought a Isabella with a Resin Soul body from Bobobie. They are pretty much willing to do their very best to help you get exactly what you want.

One of my Sprites were very loosely strung. I tightened her but she's not perfect. I think I'll have to restring her.

The resin is very smooth and feels like a good quallety and the dolls are seamless. While I think the dolls all in all are very good quallety for the prize I have to say that I like my DollZone Feilian's body more. (But I also like it more than the Lati Blue older body I have and they are more expensive) And DollZone dolls are also without seams.

I'm sure that Bobobie earns money by selling lots of dolls rather than having a lot of profit on each doll. I also believe that production is a little cheaper in China. This might also have something to do with the exchange rate of their money. Companies in China seems to be a little cheaper generally.

If you want to see pictures of Bobobie dolls I can recoment that you go to their own forum. There's a link on the site. There's a lot of nice pictures both in the gallery and in the photo contest area. You can look at the photos without signing up.

Dustbunnie

3. I like Bobobie face sculpts very much, but the bodies need some work. They stand well and are well balanced but Bobobie MSD bodies are notorious for the "belly pop", which is helped some with restringing and hot glue sueding. The elastic they use is not great, IMO, and they always pose better when I restring them with different elastic. Their hands are in an unnatural looking, "jazzy" position, and this can be fixed by heating up the fingers and tweaking them while they are soft. (Careful you don't break the fingers off though, LOL.) Also, the wrist is not very poseable. The hand turns, but it sits too far back in the arm to pose up and down. This can be helped with a big glob of hot glue on the end of the wrist ball joint.

Resinsoul makes a more delicate looking MSD body, and it's smaller as well. However, the resinsoul body is not double jointed. It's a 1-jointed torso instead of the 2 jointed one, so the belly pop doesn't happen. However, the resinsoul body has problems sitting straight up.

They make a fantastic project doll. Inexpensive enough to try modding, restringing, and face-ups but yet still a beautiful doll.

I gave up on my Bobobie body and just ordered an Angel of Dream body for my bobobie head - and it's the perfect doll to me. The face is sweet and melancholy and the body is super poseable. Here she is on her AoD body.

[​IMG]

4. I have a Bobobie Apollo and He is a gorgeous doll but I don't think I'd ever buy a full Bobobie doll again. Maybe a head on a different body but I greatly dislike the quality of the bodies. The arms have little posability due to the joint system and when bending them, to bend then properly I find that the arms will bend downward rather than in.

The torso is lovely and I do like the way it's been sculpted but I don't like the way the arms fit in the shoulders. Also, the legs have a strange mechanism at the hip which is a ball that, even with sueding, slips and spins around a lot. I find it difficult to sit him if the slots aren't straight ahead. The knees bend nicely and lock well but have a strange pointy look to them due to the way that they close.

The hands a lovely but too thin and small for my liking (as I have a liking to hands that fit in the way that CP, MNF, Souldoll, etc hands do) But these hands are easily replaceable with other types. I have tries Delf hands and f-doll hands and both fit nicely.

The stringing system is similar to that of the Dollshe's, which if you're not familiar, does not use s-hooks in the hands or feet. Rather, the strings are all attached at the head with an s-hook. Then the arm strings loop through holes in each hand and back up through the body, tied and hooked into the s-hook. The feet are done in the same way on one string. This makes the doll difficult to restring, unless you're familiar with this type of stringing.

I myself have added s-hooks to his wrists and ankles, and cut the leg string for ease of restringing. However I still can't get him to not be floppy due to the way his joints are made.

The resin is soft resin, which means it chips and becomes shiney quite easily but this is easily fixed with some gentle sanding so it doesn't bother me so much. There are no seams which is very nice but sometimes I find the inside of the torso is slightly rough but that's not much of a big deal.

The resin was strange though. After about two faceups I was wiping him and I noticed a weird rough patch on his face which wasn't there before. I have a feeling that it may have been bubbling but I'm not sure. Whatever the case, the rough patch went away with some gentle sanding. I experiencd this again on his torso once.

All in all, I'm not talking down on Bobobie dolls. I do love my Apollo greatly and I'm not sure how any of the other sized dolls are joint wise. I've played with a bobobie pixie girl and she seemed not to my liking, due to how her body was slightly unmanageable, though she was strung loosely. However if you really do like a doll you can look past anything like this. I know I do. I used to look at my Apollo and go "o.o What am I gonna do with you...?" And since his character didn't work for him I'm looking to find a new personality to fit in him because I do like him and know he has TONNES of potentional.

I have included some pictures of him that I've done but if you'd like I can post more pictures later on showing how the BOBOBIE 60CM BOY BODY looks in different poses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His Faceup is by jeorge-fontaine and his wig is made by miffimiffster

His wig is actually Purple and White. Though in some images I somehow lost the blue in the shots, making it look red xD

5. Posing isn't to important to me. I'm looking more for a doll that I can make into a very specific character. I know exactly what she looks like, exactly how she'd do her make-up, how she'd dress ect. My problem is most of the dolls I want for this story line are all from Lutz or DoD. Other slightly more expensive companies.

Bobobie has a sculpt that's perfict for her. I'm worried how she'll look next to the other dolls. I'm also a little worried that her body wont be able to handle the modding I want to do. I know you can get their dolls blushed in any color but I'd prefer to dye it myself. If the resin is cheaper would it be able to handle the hot water? How would a face up come out? Everyone says their resin is super smooth, if i sand it will it turn out badly?

So many concerns....

6. I have 2 Bobobie dolls...one I purchased directly from the company and the other I "adopted" from a member here. Either way, both dolls are beautiful. Well if a guy can be "beautiful" he is. Neither of them have been restrung nor have any sueding done to or for them. My new 43cm Sprite was a dream to stand and pose and my "adopted" boy 60cm Apollo was also a dream come true. As a resin model kit builder, the quality of the resin is important to me, as I not only build, but show and have 7 Grand Prizes to my credit plus a "Best in Show". The resin from Bobobie is smooth and clean and no seam lines. I am one of those indidviduals who prefer not to see seams on my dolls. My finished resin kits have no seams...neither do my dolls. The sculpts are lovely, the faces unique and beautiful. Okay maybe the hands could use a resculpting...I've never really had an issue with that, but I have seen more uniquely posed hands in other sculpts/doll makers, so maybe that is someting Bobobie (Dennis) might address in the future. Otherwise I find the Bobobie dolls wonderful dolls for the money - an exceptionally good buy, and the customer service provided is outstanding. Definitely I have no fault to find with them.

- ShadowHawke -

P.S. Waiting to get my 3rd BOBOBIE/ResinSoul doll - Mei - as soon as finances permit.

7. My tall!Tigerbaby is a Bobobie Pixie with a boy body
      [​IMG]
      He started out as NS, but has been tiggerfied by me since.

I also have a green hornless Nissa (both from JunkySpot) and two blue Tinybear dolls, a Moona and a Bracken, which are cast by Bobobie.

All are excellent quality and very sturdy. The resin colour is luminous and consistent - I don't think I could ever be satisfied with the flat appearance of a dyed doll, having owned one in coloured resin. I have had few issues posing them, althoug I don't demand a lot in this way from my dolls. As you can see, tall!Tibby is perfectly capable of standing unsupported and is usually displayed this way (carpeted floors ftw) - this is without restringing or any sueding (except for what happened from his exterme body blush getting in the joints, lol).

His sculpt is well-formed and balanced - the line of ears to jaw is particularly lovely. Don't be fooled by Bobobie's terrible site photos! Their sculpts are simple, yes, but well-proportioned and as a result, an ideal base for a customization. This also means that a simple change of eyes and wig often transforms the same Bobobie doll into something unique.

8. one thing you might want to consider is that there is very little mobility to the hands/ wrists.

Also, the knees are pretty ugly when the doll is sat down, thye spay their legs in an un lady like fashion ( I have a girl MSD size body) and the knees stick out in an odd way.
      However, for the money they are fantastic.

9. Are their dolls blushed that color or is that the actual color of the resin?

10. :lol:
      That's my customization - very flattering, tho' that it 'passes' for a company job!

tall!Tigerbaby started off as a NS resin. Bobobie doesn't do factory blushes that I know of - their colours are poured right in the resin.

11. I might just have to get their tanned doll then. If the colour is poured in the resin that means it wont fade nearly as soon as blushing or dying.

12. I can attest to the durability of the color on their tan dolls, I have had one of their dark-chocolate colored tinies for over a year and her color is still beautiful. The color really is all the way through the resin too (I modded her eye shape slightly - something that could not be done on most tan dolls). I also have the MSD boy body, I love the leg joints, but the elastic he's strung with is rather atrocious. He was a floating body for awhile before I bought him, though and that seems to mess up the tension pretty fast. I also have three Bobobies on my wishlist. They do seem to attract a lot of repeat business, don't they?

13. I do love Bobobie dolls, don't get me wrong. But I do find that they take a lot of getting used to. I personally think that they have a cheaper feel to them.

I own one bluefairy, One mini fee, One luts/Souldoll hybrid, one luts/f-doll hybrid, and one full delf by comparison so I'm far more used to solid, heavier dolls. If you prefer a doll that feels more solid then I would personally shy away from bobobie. The resin is very smooth which I don't personally like. I like the soft velvety feel of the CP resin.

Overall I don't focus on the price. My main concern is if I'm going to like the doll hands down. If you think that the mold is perfect then I say go for it. If you don't like the body then later on down the line you can try to find a different one that you like better. I've seen bobobie doll heads on other bodies and it works just fine.

If you personally like the doll then go for it. ^^