1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Body, sculpt, or both?

Apr 9, 2019

?
  1. Sculpt

32 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. Body

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both

25 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Depends on the character for the doll

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
    1. I put both as I admit I am drawn to a pretty face but the body has to fit as well as I progress on my BJD journey maybe I will start to do a bit more buying just a head then find a body to match but do not feel confidant enough to do that at the moment so it has to be the whole package

2. The head and body sculpt are both extremely important to me. I want my dolls to be as aesthetically pleasing as possible, so it doesn't feel reasonable to ignore one over the other. A nice face and a nice body with fitting proportions really make a doll feel more whole to me! I actually made my first doll purchase without looking into the body details/pictures, and I made sure to find as many pictures and measurements for all future bodies after that. I'm still not fond of his body, but I did learn the importance of the body sculpt right away from my experience (or lack of :sweat)!

3. I think both are important but faces more so. Most of my dolls are hybrids, as I often don’t like the bodies a head comes with, or the heads are artist sculpts.

4. For me both are equally important. However, if I only like the head sculpt and not the intended body, then I'll try to purchase the head sculpt alone. I'm very picky when it comes to proportions, but back in the day the limited range in aesthetics led me to purchasing a few dolls I wouldn't have purchased now, if I had known it would bother me as much as they do today. Having said that, I do own a lot of floating heads and would probably own more if I did anything with the ones I already own. I will probably never own any more bodies though, because I am not a fan of any of the ones available now and the ones I already own are a bit off (proportionally, and it does bother me).

5. My answer doesn't fit into any of your available responses.

It sin't a whole-doll thing. The face sculpt has to be right, but but the body has to be right to go with it - I don't want a child-like face on a big-boobed/more mature-figured body, because that's a whole world of creepy....{shudder!} - so I tend to treat them as individual considerations rather working on the basis as the doll as a whole.

Teddy

6. I said both, as I've come to value greater posability as much as an attractive face. I'm currently waiting for a body for my first hybrid. The company that made the head only makes single jointed bodies.

7. I fall in love with facial sculpts first and will buy the body too if I like that. I have so many hybrids and experimented with that as soon as there were options for buying artist-cast heads! It can get tricky (and I understand a real gamble), so I help as much as possible by sharing my hybrids and resin matches.

8. The sculpt attracts me, but the body is important too. That's why I have mostly hybrids. I usually am attracted to the head first, then get them a body that matches the character I come up with for them. They are usually clothes, but I like to know that they look good under there.

There is one body that inspired me to get a head sculpt instead of the other way round though. But it's really nice looking and unique.