1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Body Sculpts?

Aug 28, 2010

1. Idrisfynn, I did not mean it that way. I'm talking about the people who starve themselves or eat a bit of food and gag it back up in order to be thin. Skin stretched over bones thin, which is what it seems to me a lot of sculpts are trying to get close too. How else should I put it? I'd rather see someone who overeats rather than someone who makes themselves emaciated because they think that if they don't see every bone they are fat. I had a cousin who died this way because when she was 150, people told her she was fat and teased her. Apparently if you make yourself puke enough, you cough up chunks of your esophagus. See, I like thin people too, like I said, my husband has a girlish figure. X3 What I call a walking skeleton is just that. You're bones with skin stretched over cuz your body ate all your muscle and fat from starvation. I suppose I should have worded it better.

Yeah, I don't mean horribly overweight with the rolls, but just..not skinny. We need pudgy dolls too! I gotta run, but I promise to read everything else later. :3

2. What are people considering 'too large' for breasts on the female dolls? Most of them look normal/small to me. Like Nefla said, they could use bigger hips. There are only a couple of dolls that I've seen that I think have gigantic boobs.

Also big breasts DO NOT always(or even most of the time) equal back pain. Back pain is caused more from lack of exercise and slouching.

What sort of body sculpts do you like best?
      I like the more mature and fantasy sculpts. I wish the faces would catch up with how mature they're making the bodies.

What ones are you less than fond of?
      Child or baby dolls are the ones I really don't like.

Which would you like to see made?
      I would like to see more athletic/muscular women.

Do you like how the majority of the male body sculpts are the girly-boy bodies? Do you prefer bodybuilder, superhero or the uncle bodies? (not uncle for the interchangeable naughty bits, but for the fact that he doesn't look like a pre-pubescent girl!)
      I don't know what the 'uncle' bodies are, but I think the doll manufacturers have come quite a ways since I saw my first BJD online back in 2001-2002. A lot of the male bodies can look differently depending on how you dress them. It doesn't bother me what the male dolls look like since I'm not into them. I do like to see other people's dolls, though.

I agree with Idrisfynn that it is hurtful to call thin people 'unhealthy' or 'stick figures'. I was a healthy size 3 at one time and I used to get all kinds of hateful comments like that(Must be smokin' crack, you're anorexic, you look like a little boy) it's really sad that people can't just accept everyone for the size they are and instead decide to hate on them because of it.

3. As I mentioned in my post, for my personal taste in what I wanted for a female doll, 'too large' was anything that resembled a B cup or larger. This isn't to say dolls with larger breasts aren't still beautiful or can be natural looking, just that their chests were too big for what I wanted in an adult, female doll. Perhaps a genuinly smaller size (that of an A cup) is what some of these other posters want as well rather than a B or C which to me I find absurd to be labled as 'small'.

I would also advise against using the word "normal" to describe any aspect about these dolls as I assure you the moment you do, someone will surely pop in to counter act your claim and still be perfectly normal.

4. For girls:: I love, love, love curvy girls! Not so much large chested girls but girls with hips. I like for the hips and chest to be proportionate, like a real woman likely would be. The best example I can think of at the moment is Iplehouse's E.I.D. woman mold. They have wide hips and thicker thighs, with a very nice curve to their waists. I am not fond of overly thin women, I see too much of that in today's society and it doesn't appeal to me. Ribs... kinda scare me. o-o

For boys:: I do like thin, but not without muscle. I prefer bodies with pecs and ab muscles.... and those lovely little hip line things (no idea what they're called >_<"). I generally don't go for muscle gods, but I don't like skinny minis either; I am more attracted to a slimmer build. And veins... For some reason I adore male sculpts with veins all over. I've only seen a few companies that do (Iplehouse and Soom come to mind, though I am sure more make them) and I love it. ^^ Especially in the hands... I'm a hand person, I have discovered. XD

5. With the comments of dolls being too thin(not just in this thread), I've got the feeling I'm considered awfully skinny. :lol: (1.70m and 58kg)

For female bodies I prefer dolls that resemble my own body. Big hips/butt and relatively small bust (B- or C-cup). However, for some characters a big-busted lady works better. But I prefer a bit of hips the most.

For males... it really depends on the character. Though for 'manly men' I prefer muscled, but not overly muscled. I like Soom's male body, but I don't like Iplehouse's male bodies. They're too bulky for me. Muscled yet lean is just perfect.

6. I will admit it outright: If I could find a 60cm girl body with an A-cup chest, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I have found the IDEAL face sculpt for one of my favorite female characters, but Soom's Gem bodies are just too 'gifted' in that area for my practically-breastless woman. She's confident, refined, and mature, and I deliberately gave her small breasts because I wanted to drive home a point that small-chested women can be just as sexy as women with bigger breasts.

7. Which sculpts might those be? O_o The only sculpt I've ever seen that looked like that was Batchix's zombie body. Some dolls show a few ribs but no other bones, and a few ribs faintly showing isn't exactly unhealthy.

8. My comment about walking skeletons was geared towards just that. I have no beef with thin people and did not mean the healthy thin folks. I'm not fat, my husband is not either. It's just that it bugs me to see people in my town near death because they think fat is when they can't see any bones at all. It was not meant as an insult at all. What else could I use to describe those sort of people? How would you describe an emaciated human who's bones look like they want to pop out of their skin aside from a walking skeleton?

Thin, the normal, healthy thin/average weight people are just fine. I know a healthy thin has ribs showing.

I want some pudgy/chubby sculpts though too, not just thin.

Bah. I'm just going to be quiet now. It seems I'm finding the wrong words to explain things and people are just getting upset. I don't want to be hated here. I like this place. -vanishes to lurk-

9. I dont like the bodybuilder build in real life, so I really dont like it on a doll. I like my male dolls to have definition but not bulky, like lean, but definitely not pre-pubescent girl. But when you get down to the smaller dolls, which generally means younger age, you gotta realize that boy bodies in real life are just as unformed and smooth as girl's are, and it would be weird to have say, a pukipuki boy have bulging muscles, at that size.

10. What sort of body sculpts do you like best?

I love bodies with lots of realism. It's all in the details. Sometimes a vein or a muscle showing can make that part of the body. For that reason I seriously love the Spiritdoll Proud body, so much detail, almost human sometimes. There are no joints bulking out when the arm or leg is stretched and the elbow is a perfect shape, as I said, almost real. I suppose he's been made step per step, first muscles and then the skin put over that, or at least it looked that way when I compared him to a pictures with the names of all the muscles on it xD He's also not really symmetrical, making it fun to touch all the parts and feeling the differences. The only flaw he has is when you use the double joints, it's horribly unrealistic when not wearing clothes, but yeh xD
      Realism = <3

Unhealthy bodies. Too skinny is for me as well something I don't really like. It looks a bit unhealthy I guess and I want my dolls to look average for their body.
      I know there are some people who are skinny without being unhealthy and just can't help it. A girl at work can't get over 50kg even though she eats quite a lot and lives healthy for example. So, for real people, as long as they look healthy, they are pretty :)
      It's just a preference not to have it in a doll for me :)

More boob-variations for a body. Some companies are doing this already. It's nice to be able to pick the cupsize of a female doll , without it having to be modded. I don't have a girl body yet, but my girl will need one someday and I'll go for the minifee (to go along with the head), I just need to think about what cup she should have though xD
      It would give more decisions to make, but also some less restrictions when you have a character with a certain body set in your head already :)

11. Don't worry about me, I am not upset by anything. I just think it's best to word things carefully. ;) But the starving to death/anorexic physique you are describing is not a body type I have seen in the BJD world. Honestly, I have not. I have seen healthy looking thin which has a lot of variations which sometimes means visible ribs on some people/dolls. It makes me think of when people are grossed out by Greyhounds because they "look like they are starving" with their visible ribs but in all actuality they are perfectly fit animals that look exactly as they should.

And I stick to this P.O.V. that we won't see much "pudge" coming out of Asian companies. They base their sculpts on what they like and see around them and there just isn't much pudge in that part of the world. No chubby tummy, no muffin tops, no extra arm flap. You would need to look to a Western (American, Canadian, European) sculptor to get this sort of doll type. Since this is a hands on hobby that has inspired many people to sculpt why is it that even Western sculptors have shown no interest in making a big chubbier girl? I don't know. It's a good question.

edit: I'm only talking about dolls over 60cm since that's pretty much all I know about! ^__^

12. A sculpt not mentioned thus far is Domadoll's adorable Okja:
      http://www.domadoll.com/okja/domadoll.htm
      She makes a 'muffin-top' look good, who'da thunk? That and her sweet, mischievous face puts her on the top-five of my current wish-list.

13. What sort of body sculpts do you like best?

I like the more androgynous ones I suppose...I like the lean-yet-muscular boys, especially when they have a bit more of a curve to them. But I prefer them mature-ish still, ones that look too young or child-like lose their appeal a bit to me personally, but that's mostly because most of the characters in my mind are 18+.

I second the smaller-boobed and yet still mature female sculpts! I personally have a curvy booty but I'm an A-cup...so things like such exist!
      I vote for slightly thicker legs on female sculpts and smaller busts too. And more muscle maybe....

I've seen many bodies that just look too...unreal? Unconvincing? Well I suppose I like bodies that really appear to be works of art, like there was effort put into them. Some boys have very sticklike legs, but other have very beautiful and well-sculpted legs. But I suppose that has more to do with style more than anything...I dunno, I feel vague.

14. Oh, I think there are a good range of body sculpts available these days. I mean, when I started there was very little choice. I guess I can be happy about all the choices out there because I remember when there weren't choices!

I love IH and Soom sculpts. And I also like some of the less realistic and softer/younger sculpts, too.

I don't care for certain sculpts that just don't look anatomically right or aesthetically pleasing... I also prefer less busty women, but that's my choice, so I think it's fine that there are bigger bust options for those who like that. And some of the skinny sculpts are because dolls need to wear clothes and will look better in clothes if they don't have thicker arms and legs. And some sculpts are a little odder because of posing issues. It depends on what various people are looking for... some sculpts look better undressed than dressed and others don't.

I think Soom and Iplehouse do a pretty good job making muscular, masculine men... I'm happy with them, anyway...

15. What sort of body sculpts do you like best? What ones are you less than fond of? Which would you like to see made?

Hmmmm. For my gals, I like curviness, but since I have a range of characters they also differ a lot in terms of height and shape. I really like variety! For example, my Zaolls (an original and a hybrid) are both short and pear-shaped. I modded my Volks SD10 body to be very pear-shaped (small waist, accentuated the largeness of her hips and bottom, but kept her breasts very small). Then, on the other hand, my Supia Rosy and Spiritdoll Jade are both thin and willowy, but with hourglass shapes. My I-Doll and Iplehouse EID gals are both curvy and hourglass shaped. I have plans to get one of the Angelsdoll girls on their new 62cm body, which again, is a very differently shaped body (very similar to the gynoids from the second Ghost in the Shell film). The new body is curvy, but also has smaller breasts and a wide rib-cage (more similar to my own shape). :)

For my boys, I like a variety of shapes as well. Some like my Souldoll boy and Impldoll boy are muscular, but on the thin side. Whereas my Raurencio boy is really impressively built and meatier. XD

I'm actually less fond of the baby-type figures unless they are tinies or minis.

I would love to see more pear shaped gals, but with a more accentuated shape. I'd love to see more curvy dolls in general, but I think there are a few sculptors who are really pushing the envelope in that regard. :D I would also love to see some muscular more ripped girls! I would love to see some tough androgynous female sculpts in general.

Do you like how the majority of the male body sculpts are the girly-boy bodies? Do you prefer bodybuilder, superhero or the uncle bodies?

I would actually say that there are more and more really ripped male sculpts coming out these days. I think they look great. Although, I will always have a soft spot for the willowy boys that remind me of my favourite manga and anime characters.:aheartbea

16. It's interesting how different everyone's views are. I'm one who thinks the boys sculpts often have too much muscle.
      I tend to like most girl sculpts who are a little stalkier and small chested (SD10 girls I love!). I like boys who are thin with not very much muscle (like I really don't like when there are veins and I don't like six-pack, etc.).
      Oh my gosh that domadoll page!
      :chocoberry:chocoheart "Be received!!! Food Box!!! Happy choco candy chocolate sweet cookies!!!" :truffle:whitetruffle
      I love it!

17. I wish I knew where all of these girly male sculpts are because for the most part, I think male bodies are entirely way too muscled for my liking. And most of the ones that aren't are also lacking any other kind of detail. My all time fave boy body? Bluefairy's MSD boy body. It has plenty of sculptural detail and no over the top muscle definition but still has it. Especially sexy hip bone definition. The most muscle I like is a very thin, trim swimmer/dancer's build. Not bulky. And in a very picky personal preference thing, I actually hate bodies that have really visible veins. I don't like seeing them on real people either.

I think the short 55-60cm male body area is the one that has been neglected the most. 60cm is about as tall as I ever want to go on a doll, but I do like having height differences between my dolls. Taller is not better to me, and it's frustrating when you want a height difference between two male dolls and you're then forced to buy a 65-70cm to do it. It's one of the reasons I'm never going to branch out beyond Volks for large dolls because their SD boy bodies are the only ones who fill that shorter niche. They do look good with Volks SD13 boys, thankfully, and the tallest they get is 62cm.

As for female dolls, my thoughts on breasts are the bigger, the better. I'd would probably do illegal things for a resin body that looked like the Volks Dollfie Dream or Dollfie Dream Dynamite body. Sadly, I've not found one yet. I'm not into hyper realism, so I don't mind exaggerated anime/manga proportions on female dolls. I love how large the Iplehouse EID breasts are, but I don't like how heavy the body looks and especially how short waisted it is. It's too realistic for me.

I'm surprisingly fond of the Volks SD16 girl body because it's a bit odd. Supposedly for their ultra feminine ladies but it's actually a very athletic, strong body. It has very broad, muscled shoulders and arms and some visible muscle definition in the abdomen and legs as well. The breasts are also a nice size.

18. I would like to see more smaller breasts, being a A cup myself, and feeling very "small" due to the amount of anime media I seen though out my teenage years.

19. CP skinny boy bodies and Iplehouse's beefy bodies<3