1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Bonding and YOU.

Aug 20, 2004

1. My first boy doll was actually Trent (Gene Marshall's co star) and I don't think we bonded at all. I sold him a while ago.

However, the first BJD I ever really wanted was SD13 Lucas. When I first saw him, he was already up to version 3 and sold out. After buying SD13 Megu & MSD Myu - I got lucky and found him on ebay. We bonded instantly. If you're slow to bond then take him outdoors and shoot some pics, that usually does it for me.

I only have a few outfits for my Mez, but I love buying clothes/shoes for him. I think you'll enjoy finding things for yours to wear, sometimes it's a real challenge.

I look forward to hearing about your new 'son' - please keep us up to date on his arrival and your reaction (and of course, post lots of pics!)
      Congradulations!
      -Am

2. My first boy doll (MSD Ken) I didn't bond with at all, because I was so focused on getting the girl version of him.

My second boy (MSD Tsubaki) was an impulse buy and it was love at first sight.

With my third boy (SD13 Syo), his faceup picture on Y!J won me over. Even though he had like two things to wear when he arrived, I still adored him.

I'm one of those people who never thought they'd like boy dolls, much less have two (soon to be four!!) You'd be surprised how good they are at working their way into your heart. There's just something very sweet about them.. to me, they're kind of vulnerable, just like little boys in real life. :daisy

3. How I tend to bond with all my dolls is to sew something specially for them after they've arrived. I've found that sewing before they get here feels very distant, not to mention that the outfit might not work as well as expected. But when they're here, the whole modeling/fitting/dressing/undressing is a way to get comfortable with them and start getting a handle on who they are.

While I did have a shirt ready for Ian (my Isao) when he got here, the first thing I did after that was sew the matching pair of pants. It made all the difference in the world.

Marcia.

4. Personally... I have almost all boys. X3;; I'll be getting my first girl here in a few weeks. I'm worried about bonding with her! XD Seriously... you'll be fine. :D Gene vs Shiwoo... that's hard to choose. I have a Shiwoo Elf... I love him so much. I almost got a Gene too, but then Andesha came up for sale and I just couldn't resist him. <3

As for finding clothes... you'll be fine. :3 Clothes come up on Ebay fairly often, plus a lot of the doll sites are producing their own lines of clothes now. :D

5. I have been collecting girl dolls for years but when I started with SD I fell in love with the boys and now I have four boys :D I will continue collecting sd boys for sure have too much girls around the house :lol:

6. Hello Dolly,

I am basically a 1/6 dolls lover and when I discover the dollfie from volks I jump everywhere because I could now really do the boys look like I want!!! And really I bond with them in a second (but assuming there're the rooting step, paint face step :wink: :wink: ) and my favorite are the boys I made! For the moment I share life with my lil Sasha (msd nasia) but I choose her because she's the only one to have cat ears and I think if she'd a boy i would get him(?) instead!(I am a kind of ears lover!!!! lol lol )
      So don't worry as soon you're going to play with him: don't be intimidate by him :wink: , lfollow the rythm!

@^-^@
      Julie.

(here's a pic of my fav 1/6 doll boy as I am still saving $$ for my next bjd (who is going to be a boy, maybe?!!!)
      [​IMG]

7. The first doll I wanted wasn't even a boy, but it was my boy BJD Sariel who came first. ^_^ He was, additionnally, the second BJD I wanted and actually the first I ordered (the other was my Unoa so I had to wait for the preorder).

Since Sariel was my first BJD (and even first doll, period) we bonded instantly. The second he was out of his box I was hooked. He was so beautiful, sweet and dreamy! He was a dream come true, in all senses of the term for me.

I spend the following week studying him from all angles, changing his few clothes and posing him. I took some photos, made him a site and cuddle with him a lot. It just felt right. I can't describe the whole process because it just kinda felt into place by itself.

All I know is that during this time I really got to know my boy. And I know he will always be my favorite. I don't think I can tell you how to bound with your doll in particular because everyone bound differently. Heck I even bounded differently with my own dolls! I didn't bound with Kiyo or Sae the same way I did with Sariel.

So just order the boy that feels right for you, the one that speaks to you. You can't go wrong if you listen to your heart. ^_^ Then... just let nature take it's course!

8. I always liked boy dolls best . . . so when I started thinking about a BJD, it was just a question of which boy to choose! I fell hopelessly in love with the pictures of the unlimited Gene on CH's site just as he sold out, earlier this year. I waited for months until CH restocked him, going back to those pictures over and over, feeling completely sure that I knew what his personality would be . . . proud, a little arrogant, the spoiled prince of the household . . . :wink:

Then he arrived, and from the first time I looked at him I could see that he was much sweeter and more thoughtful than the Gene in the pictures. I had to give up the name I'd planned for him, but I bonded with him as soon as I opened the box--no doubt about it. And my quiet pensive Pen is a lot easier to live with than the boy I expected to get!

Funny how it works, huh?

9. Thanks for replying, everyone! I enjoyed hearing about your first boy dolls. :D

I see that you all "bond" with your dolls in many different ways -- photographing, painting, sewing clothes for them, or love at first sight -- very interesting to see how everyone is different in this area.

My BJD's so far have all come in pieces or in need of face-ups, and I think that painting their faces helped me bond with them. I think I'll order my boy without make-up, if possible, and give him a face-up myself. :grin:

Now to decide who to get -- eep! *_*

10. My first bjd was a MSD Ken and it was love at first sight. The moment I touched his little hand after I unwrapped him, we were bonded for life.

I have had no problems bonding with my other boys, but my one girl -- a DOD Bee-A -- and I have yet to really click. I had planned to get an SD Megu, but now I am wondering if I really want a big girl, another big boy, like a Shiwoo, or if I'm happy with my harem as it is. I keep thinking that getting a big girl will mean that much more expense in clothes and shoes, but it could be fun too. Oh, decisions, decisions! *_*

11. While I played with girl dolls as a child, I was never really 'into' dolls. The first BJD I ever saw was owned by someone here and it was a boy (he was on eBay modeling a lovely Elrond outfit sometime in January I believe). I can't recall the owner's 'boardname' tho... :grin: She's got some absolutely wonderful dolls and costumes for them.

My first doll was a Shiwoo elf. My second doll is an El elf (if he *ever* arrives). And I plan on getting a Chiwoo eventually. I just really prefer boy dolls to girl dolls. I guess because I've always been such a tomboy (I've always hated dresses and girl clothes, altho I getting much more tolerant of them in my old age...*ahem*), I prefer things 'boy'. :oops:

I agree with the others and don't think you'll have any problems bonding at all.

I never imagined myself wanting a girl BJD (nor even an MSD-type actually - they border on being too small for me) but after having seen the Blue Fairy Tiny Fairies... I may have to break down and get one. :wink: They are just too cute.

Loki's Mom :daisy

12. Gods, Kuro and I bonded instantly. Perhaps because he's my first resin-cast BJD, but... he's just sooo beautiful, I can hardly bare to put him down. ^^

My 1/6 boys I love madly as well - rooting their hair was a really neat bonding experiance, got a feel for all their personalities. ^^

13. Well, i was so excited to get my first BJD, a DD. i got her out of the box and i put her together and...we fell kind of flat. i love her wig and eyes, but her body. i just cant stand it! i hoped that if i kept her for a while, things would change, but every time i look at her, all i see are her glaring flaws! i feel so bad, cus shes such a sweet girl.
      so i need advice. since i hate her body, but not her head, eyes or wig, im not sure what to do. i know i cant put her DD head on another doll without it looking silly, but...does anyone have any ideas? would selling her body and head etc work? she brand new, i have all her origanal packaging and manuals and stuff...or does anyone have any recomendations on how to bond with her?

*worries*

14. What is it about her body that you hate? Maybe thinking up a personality, working on some clothes, looking online at other versions of how people have modified/dressed the same doll, will help??

15. how long have you had your girl? Jeremiah Blue was my first BJD and it took me several days to bond with her. I didn't have the right size eyes so I thought she looked weird; her face needed VERY minor things done and so until I had time, I kept looking at her thinking OMG I just spent all this $$$ and I think she's just "okay."

But after taking some time, better eye size, eyelashes, and a little blush for pink cheeks, there she was!! So it really is possible it may take a little time.

16. And she really turned out DARLING. I was never a fan of the Jerome mold until I saw your girl.

Lain, like others said, sometimes it takes a little while. Try doing some esthe, or try to come up with a back story. If I hadn't already been working on a story for Cookie (My MSD Myu), I don't think I'd have EVER bonded with her.

17. Saori was my first SD-sized doll, and it took me a few days to become attached to her. It wasn't until I got her open-eye hole head and did her face-up that I REALLY fell for her. I loved taking pictures of her and seeing all of the different ways I could pose her.

Have you tried doing a photoshoot with her yet? Doing photoshoots really helps me to bond with my dolls. By changing their wigs, eyes, clothes, and face-ups, you can really bring out their personalities.

Since my interest in various BJD's is always changing, I'm currently selling my DD so that I can get another SD-sized doll. I think you should spend a bit more time taking pictures and customizing your doll a bit before you decide to sell her.

Another thing, the DD body can be flimsy at times. It took me about a month to fully be aware of how the DD body works (the kneecaps pop in and out of place, the arms and ankles have the "snap" joints rather than being strung) ... I actually had to keep going to the EA boards and ask if certain parts of her are supposed to move in certain ways, and how to move her wrists and ankles.

Once I figured it all out and felt comfortable in posing and positioning her, it really helped me to become more attached to her.

18. :oops: :grin: THANK YOU... I think she is really adorable too, and people think I did all kinds of stuff to her, and really I didn't!!!

Anyway... It is definitely good advice to play with a bit, take pics, dress, etc. And after that, if you still haven't bonded, well maybe she isn't the doll for you, but definitely give it a little time. :grin:

19. Dress her. Not only would that cover up the bits you dislike, picking out clothes always helps to build a doll's personality.

And play with her. Bring her around and pose her and discover all her best angles and expressions. The more I play with my dolls the more I like them. ^_^

20. Also, what is it about the body that you don't like, specifically? It may be something that can be easily changed with a little bit of customization (for example: My DD no longer has a super arched back - I altered her inner workings a bit, so she poses differently. ANd I wired her.), or it could be something that is common to ALL BJD's, in which case you may have a bit of a problem with this...er..hobby? Obsession? Lifestyle? *_*