1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Box Openings - why do we have them?

Aug 23, 2010

1. I don't "do" box openings, either as a forum observer or as a person who takes pictures of my dolls as I open them up. I don't view these dolls as complete right out of the box, so I'm not interested in recording their arrivals. For me, the dolls don't "arrive" until I've put a lot of time and work into them, and have them looking the way I want them to look. When they're ready for their introduction to the world (so to speak), then I take and post pictures of them.

I occasionally go into the box opening subforum to find reference pictures, since it's generally a good place to look for shots of nude doll bodies, but that's about it.

2. Something to remember is that for a lot of people bjds are quite different from items like shoes -- there's a lot more emotion and attachment to the dolls. Though, if someone is excited enough about getting any sort of item, I suppose they might snap some pics to show their friends. Getting a doll in the mail is a very exciting moment and a lot of owners want to share that. A lot can go into getting a doll too -- coming up with the money, having to either wait for months or hunt a more unusual sculpt down on the secondary market.

I very rarely do box opening pics. For a long time I didn't have a camera, and since I started doing more with hybrids it's less common for me to get a whole doll in the mail -- it's usually just a head, or body or hands, so there's not as much point in taking arrival pics even though I do now have a camera. I do pop into the subforum occasionally, because it is fun to see people excited about their new dolls.

3. This is the big reason I like to look at the box openings. I think it is great to both share the enthusiasm, and to see how the doll arrives from the company. ;)

4. Interesting - it's actually because they're not yet complete that I love those threads - once a person has dressed the doll up, changed the face and so forth, it's that much further away from the production state, so from a consumer perspective those are the most useful photos for me.

If I'm considering buying from a particular company, you can get a sense of how well their dolls are packed and how well the promotional shots reflect the actual products. The box openings show the dolls either faceless or with the default, and are usually less carefully taken photos, so they're that much more revealing (people seem less likely to pose the dolls to hide flaws or to photoshop their box openings).

I've done box opening threads for 2 of my dolls, and both times it was because I'd only seen one other posted and thought it might be useful for anyone else considering the same dolls. I personally wouldn't do one if I'd seen several same-doll openings already or for a second-hand doll, but if other people are looking at it from a sharing-the-joy angle rather than a purchase-prepartion angle then that's makes sense it its own way as well (and cute too - I think of the videos this way - they're usually not clear enough to get a great sense of the doll, but people always look so happy).

5. I've only made one box opening thread which was for my B&G Hera because I bought her new, and there weren't many photos of her, plus I was just starting out in this hobby and posting on DoA.

I do like looking at the box opening threads because I can see what the doll really looks like without all the fancy outfits and photography, which is helpful in deciding which one to buy.
      Some owners makes their other dolls interact in the opening too, which is fun to see.

6. I like to look at box openings where people put some effort into it. It’s fun to see people’s creativity and happiness from each new arrival. It’s also a great source of information for reference – from ‘raw’ doll bodies to how a company packs their dolls.
      In some cases it’s also interesting to track a particular doll and see what happened to it after the box opening.

As for my contribution, I’ve posted only one box opening here so far; it was a new company & doll and I wanted others to know how great it was. However, I still do my private box openings for fun and creativity exercise whenever I get a doll, even for those bought second hand, but I didn’t post them recently. Maybe for my next one I will post it again.

7. I record box openings in case there is damage that has to be addressed with the company or individual seller, but I don't share those. I do however look at other people's sessions when I research a specific mould, because sometimes it's the best chance to see a naked unpainted doll unaltered by the company promo retouching.

8. I love box openings and it's a tradition in this resin household. I find it exciting and really enjoy sharing my experience with others, but the main reason I post them is to help other hobbyists who are searching for owner pictures. I purchase most of my dolls blank so I also feel productive by posting box openings. Other people can see the sculpt in its "naked" form, and perhaps it can help someone who may be on the fence about a doll, a default face-up, etc.

I also take pictures for my own record, so that if there is ever damage (God forbid) I can provide details to the company.

9. Getting my first dolls was really exiting and so far I've only seen people in this hobby do box opening pics. It's a pretty unique way of sharing the joy and I've loved posting box opening pics. However, after a while I kept it more private and as my boyfriend said: "People know what a box looks like." He doesn't get the whole box opening thing at all. ;)

As others have said before, box opening pictures can be very informative about how companies ship their dolls and to see clear, unaltered pictures of dolls.

10. One of the great things about taking box opening pics is you can go back and relive that wonderful moment over and over again - and I do! I keep going back and looking at my own box opening threads! :XD:

Also, I love looking at everyone's box opening threads - it really gives me a sense of whether or not I like a doll and the company gives a quality product. Box openings are the only thing I regularly look at in this forum. I love it when the person receiving the doll is in the photos too because I love to see how excited they look - and anyway I'm always curious about the owners behind all these dolls on the forum and I love to see pics added later to the box opening thread where the doll has been completed to the owner's liking with new wig/eyes/face-up etc...

11. Personally, I find it fun! After months of waiting its fun to share the excitement of a new doll with other DoAers. And like others said, it helps people with what to expect from a company. They can see pictures of any damages and even see if it's common with a company or not. Plus you get the chance to see how the owner has customized a doll since they recieved him/her.

12. Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?
      I didn't do a box opening with my first doll. I just didn't think of it and didn't know there was such a thing before I joined this forum. I probably will when my 2nd doll arrives at my door though.

13. 1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?
      I have done at least one little box opening thread.

If yes, why did you do it?
      I have always wanted to participate in the box opening thread. Since this was a secondhand doll I wanted to show how well packaged it was to reassure future buyers.

Why do you think we do it?
      I think the owner is sharing their excitement! Secondly they are showing the community what the doll actually looks like and how well the company packaged it. Since more than one person gets the same model it is also good to see how consistant the quality is too.

14. I always make boxopenings. I enjoy it <3
      I always get really excited while opening a new doll, and I want to share that with everyone else.
      Not to mention some people are interested in how dolls are packed, and if the doll is recently released, to see brand spanking new pictures of them.
      It's just amusing, and yes, I throw both my cats in the boxes.

15. Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?

Not yet, but I plan to.

If yes, why did you do it?

I can barely stand waiting 4 days for my packages to arrive, so 70 days is going to drive me insane. When I finally get it, it will sort of be my way of celebrating the doll's arrival. Compare it to making a video of your family opening Christmas presents. It's a nice memory, you want to save it and keep it forever.

I think it's also helpful to other buyers, I know it helped me. I was worried about the default face-up of the doll I chose, but seeing it up-close on someone else's wig-less doll changed my mind.

I used to watch box openings for anime figures just to see how well a company packages their orders. Especially after I started receiving smashed up boxes from certain companies and found that the reason for the damage was mostly due to the lack of bubble wrap or even packing peanuts (tissue paper alone is not going to protect an overseas order). It makes me worry less.

16. 1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?

When my first dolly comes in, I plan to film the opening.

2) Why do you think we do it?

It will be a cute memory later on to see my own egar expression and happiness.

Maybe some people see it in the saw way as the joy when a baby is born. Afterall, in some shape or form you picked your doll, plan to give it a name, plan to clothe it, plan to give it character. It is the same basics most parents have.

Or maybe, the dolly is an extention of yourself in someway. It maybe reflects your charactar or your ideal beauty. To see the doll bare and evolve into your perfect BJD is like an indirect self-evolution. Filming and taking photoshoots act towards this like a diary.

17. 1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?

Yep! I don't always do it but sometimes I will.

--If yes, why did you do it?

Primarily to show a doll that is a new or uncommon mold, for those that are wanting to see it. Like Kim, box openings are to me a time when I see if the doll will work for me and check for damages -- the real joy comes later, when the doll is "complete". But since I enjoy browsing the box opening forum for new and/or rare molds that I am interested in seeing, I like to post arrival pictures when I get such a doll, even if I decide on the spot that I'm not keeping it. And by posting it in the arrival gallery, I know I won't be permanently cluttering up the forum with not particularly wonderful photos (as box opening pics rarely are very lovely).

2) Why do you think we do it?
      To share the fun, and create a sense of community! A lot of people like to see others get their new dolls, and to see the newest sculpts as well as blank sculpts, since most people don't post pics of their blank dolls in the regular gallery. Also, I believe it is sometimes done to inform others, as I often find mini-reviews or commentary about a doll/company that I'd be hard pressed to find elsewhere.

Interesting topic, I never really thought about it before. xD But I think having a forum dedicated to box openings makes them a little more popular than they otherwise were.

18. i like box opening cuz its like a preview ^^
      you get to see the doll sooner, but not complete :3 limited are a good exemple. you want to see them as soon as possible, but it can be long before anyone post pictures in the gellery
      OH its also nice because i like seing unpainted dolls ^^

i did one becaaaaause... i dunno its fun i think ^^ i drew anime expressions over my face. it was silly and funny to do and to watch later ^^

19. I didn't & never plan to make a box opening video.
      But I took & will always make opening box photos.
      I always love box opening of any packaged I received...
      Box opening will remind me to my feeling when I receive the package.
      The joy, laugh & happy tears...

20. to me, the box opening is like the "birth" of the doll. Just like a human baby it comes into the world naked and unfinished. It strikes a chord of emotion that you don't get at other times and like all proud parents I want to share my joy with others, even if I "adopted" a doll instead of getting one brand new.