1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Box Openings - why do we have them?

Aug 23, 2010

1. I check the box opening thread daily ^^ I think it's fun to see other's box openings, and It' a good way to see lots of sculpts as they've arrived, before they've had any mods or (in some cases) face ups. I know for a long time souldoll didn't have very good photos of their doll's faces or examples of what their blank heads looked like (they've changed that now, which is nice) so a good way to see what the faces really looked like would go to box openings. Also if you have friends on the forum, it's kind of nice to take pictures for them to see ^^

2. 1.) I can't remember if I ever did it in the early years of my involvement in this hobby . . . but I don't do it now. Partly because it's not something I feel a desire to do, partly because I'm usually dead tired when I'm opening dolls these days (long work days). It's all the effort I can manage just to make sure they aren't broken, and I don't usually want to wait until a weekend when I am more refreshed.

But mostly I just don't have an interest in it.

2.) I think people do it because they are excited to show off/welcome a new doll and want to share the excitement with others :) Which is totally a good reason, just not one I share. And probably also a little bit because "everyone else does it." (Or is that more taking photos of cats in the doll boxes?)

3. i do it for memories, so i will always have the pictures of those moment when i get a new doll! though to be honest, my last one was short because i just opened him so quick. i was really excited :)
      but i also like seeing the sculpts, sometimes i see new companies and such.

4. Well, looking at it from this perspective: I paid a fortune and waited forever, and the excitement levels are though the roof. I enjoy sharing those feelings with others. Also very much enjoy looking a5 others share it with people. Also, in the beginning, you can see what to expect when you buy from one or the other company or seller: how the doll is packaged, etc.

But mainly, this is a tradition that all of us, doll owners share.

5. 1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?

I never have. I tend to be pretty shy to begin with and don't have a great camera anyway.

2) Why do you think we do it?

The excitement, simply put. You placed your order, the mail is on it's way, you're waiting for the package...and the excitement when that package comes is usually pretty big, so I think most people do it just to show how excited they are.

Besides that, it tends to make a nice reference and is good to compare if you got a doll secondhand or somewhere besides the official dealer. Maybe you just never have gotten a doll from an official dealer before--this offers a neat way to see what it's like.

6. I have taken pictures of a box opening one, because there wasn't one of that particular sculpt in the Box Opening section (Doll Chateau Lilith) and I wanted to share it for others that might be interested in seeing more of that doll.

I find that Dolls Opening are a great way to see a doll in their "raw" state, often without clothes and the pictures are on the spot, rather than a planned phototshoot.

7. I pretty much check you tube everyday for box opening vids! i love them!, fully intend on making one when my first doll comes in! =)

8. I haven't done any box openings yet, but I probably will in the future. I think it's about sharing the joy you get when you open a new doll. It's really exciting! If you're looking at a specific fullset, for instance, you can also look up a box opening and see how everything comes; you know what to expect. Something about taking apart the packaging and unwrapping a bubblewrap mummy is really exciting in real life, so if you're not expecting any new dolls, you can kind of feel that same excitement by watching someone else do the same.

9. because it's like giving birth with out the pain XD, it's the joy of waiting and slowly opening that box to find your baby

10. I really enjoy seeing box openings, for three main reasons.
      1. I love seeing the excitement
      2. I like seeing how a company packs their dolls, especially it I'm getting one from said company it's nice to see if they throw in any extras.
      3. For second hand purposes, it's nice to get an idea of what the doll might've originally came with and what you can potentially ask the seller if they still have lying around somewhere.

11. In my spare time, I looovee looking at box openings, better yet, I loveee watching them ^^
      I took photos as I opened my doll, photos because when I got home from work it was late and dark.
      So I couldn't make a video.

I did it because, I like to look back on (especially when I opened my first Bjd) the picture and sharing them with people.
      It's awesome ^^

12. Well, I always, always, take photographs of the openings... Why? For me it is a very important moment. Not only do photos, I also write my impressions. me gusta conservar para siempre el momento... It's like when you're a kid at Christmas. So exciting! Sometimes, if I'm nostalgic, I look back ^ ^

13. So we can show off our pretty new toys of course. :P Seriously sharing the joy is fun.