1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Box Openings - why do we have them?

Aug 23, 2010

1. Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?no, I haven't but I do have the pictures of it somewhere. I was going to post it but have been too lazy

If yes/no, why did you do it?
      I only did my box opening pictures because another friend insisted on doing it. As I said before I'm lazy. lol I would rather just open the box and get her out to play with. Box opening pics/vids are way more than what I'm willing to do because I just want to get to the source of my excitement and happiness. If that makes any sense to anyone.

Why do you think we do it?

I think it's the excitement. It has to be, right? you're just so excited that you finally got something that has been eating at you and begging you to go and buy it. It's something that you've waited for SOOOOO long for. And that is why people make box opening threads. I honestly thing that my friends will make me have another box opening thread for my next doll too. As much as I just want to rip into it and pull her out I'll have to wait for pictures of the box... and then I won't get to dress her until pictures have been taken of him or her bald and all that junk... but I don't mind. They're excited for me... and I love having people around that are just as excited as me. lol

2. 1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?
      I have taken pictures but haven't done any videos.

2) If yes, why did you do it?
      For me, I think it's fun, the thrill of what's inside even though most of the time we know. Further more, do I get the doll in one pc or in pcs... ^^; The suspense of seeing if there are any broken parts or anything missing. o.o

3) Why do you think we do it?
      Because they want to share the feelings they get from receiving and opening a bjd's box. How, at last, it arrived w/ in their grasps after months and months of never ending wait. :3

3. 1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box? I've never done a video, but I've done a box opening for every doll I own (even the head that was gifted to me).

If yes, why did you do it? When I first joined DoA I didn't have a doll. So I spent a lot of time in the Box Opening thread to really get an idea what to expect. I think User Pics of dolls and Box Openings are the most helpful tools for newbies. I had no idea that some companies gave you extras, that most companies included eyes, etc. I learned a lot this way and I always knew I would like to add to the massive amount of info here on DoA. I also agree with what everyone has said about it "prolonging the process". You wait for MONTHS, why shouldn't the opening be epic?

My first doll was a Lati Green and it really helped me to know what to expect by searching for other Lati Green openings. I also had a problem with my pukifee's wrist joint and by photographing the entire process, I had pictures of how the doll came to me and what was wrong (so as to get it fixed). So I also like to think of them as little insurance policies!!!

2) Why do you think we do it? Same reason we share all pics on DoA! It's a way to get information out there, a way to share your experience, and a way to include people who also collect dolls in your excitement!!! I think it's all about the sharing.

4. Actually, I *have* taken pictures of the box-opening or packagings of some particularly funky pairs of shoes. :XD: When you have a passion and you are friends with others who share it, you just know they'll wanna see. It's like the way the first bite of an apple is the best-- we like to share those first glimpses with others.

I don't do box-openings for every doll I receive. But sometimes, the box & the general packaging of the fullset IS of interest, in itself! - and should be shared. When something comes in extremely cool packaging, or a very innovative system of foam protectors, or comes with Extras, you show off pictures so that others can see what it looks like before the doll moves out of it.

If the doll in question is a new body type, or if it's something rare, it's extra nice to share photos with people who have been curious to see it. Especially if you've been in a waiting-room thread-- then you know there's some 20-odd people who are eager to see this joint-system, or that faceup, or what-have-you.

And sometimes there's something you want to preserve before it gets ripped open... Some studios like Limhwa or DD-Anne cover their boxes with the most beautiful wrapping-paper & decorations, which I like to record in situ before removing it. (Just in case I rip it or can't figure out how it goes back on. ^^ I am one of those wrapping-paper-hoarding people.)

Lastly, there is the pure infectious amusement of seeing this majestic thousand-dollar work of art all mummified naked in bubble-wrap & looking very much like it's trying to preserve its dignity. :lol:

5. That's the one! My first doll came curled up in the foetal position, naked, and surrounded by shoes. I hadn't planned on taking photographs of his box opening, but seeing that I just couldn't resist!

6. Honestly I think that was the only reason I agreed to have pictures taken. It was funny!

7. I am unashamedly nosey - so I love seeing other people's box opening photos.

By the same Token, I have occasionally remembered to take photos of my own box openings. But not often - I'm usually too excited and impatient (and it often happens at work since I get all my packages mailed there).

Teddy

8. Well, I was under the impression that the tradition of box openings started with simply documenting the freshly arrived doll in case there was any damage. I mean, they travel across continents so any kind of shipping damage can happen, and a detailed documentation if "this is how the box looked" - "this is how it was packaged" - "this is what happened" can help someone's case.

The sharing part...maybe others wanted to know what to expect? How a well packaged doll looks vs. a poorly packaged one?

But to the questions...

Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?

Yes, I usually do box opening shoots when my dolls arrive. Though sometimes I don't actually document "the opening"...for various reasons (no battery, no camera at the time, too impatient etc.). But I love to do arrival shots, so in those cases I take delight in thinking up a setting, and making photostory-like interactions...involving boxes and the new arrivals^^

If yes, why did you do it?

I like doing it, and thinking up an arrival situation that would suit my new doll's personality (Chris got to shoot the others. Buck got to show that even as an unpainted head you can flirt with women...and so on XD). I also like to know that my camera is nearby in case of some damage. I also like to look at others' box openings when I'm researching a certain doll or company, to see how they package dolls, how they look just out of the box - nude and unpainted in many cases.

When the wait is long - for example for a Soom limited - I like to look at others getting their dolls before me. And because of these, I try to reciprocate - maybe someone who's still waiting can look at my pictures and I can make their wait a bit easier. Or someone just happens to research the doll I'm getting...who knows^^

But mostly I do it because I enjoy thinking up those little stories :lol:

Why do you think we do it?

I'm sure everyone has different reasons. Sharing the excitement with others, or just documenting...or thinking of helping with the nude, unpainted pics...or because "others do it"....or maybe simply enjoying it XD

9. Personally I love box openings simply because it builds up the excitement for a person who is getting their first BJD to actually see the process of opening a doll as they wait for their own! c:
      I'm personally almost at a point where I can buy my first doll, and looking through the box opening thread has turned to one of my normal daily routines to help keep me motivated. It's kind of like a "You'll get to do this soon as well!"

When I get my doll, My friends and I (There are 4 of us. Two ordering Crobi, Two ordering luts on the same day) are planning on holding a 'box opening party' between us, and recording the video of us opening them. It would hold a lot of information I think - After all no one has seemed to order Two crobi-boys at once. We're really curious to see how that works. c:

10. I've taken photos of all of my box openings, ever since I saw them in the forum I knew I wanted to join in!
      I love the box-opening gallery, it's good for references of dolls and to see a lot of the dolls blank faced too which is very helpful!

11. I like seeing the first batch of new dolls arriving to peoples houses, especially dolls I am thinking about getting as it can swing a decision one way or the other. I like to also see dolls I like but wouldnt get, so I get a little experience of what it would be like to get it from the company and see the packaging and freebies etc.
      Also its good to see blank versions of dolls.
      I havent posted an actual box opening, as thats something I would rather get on with and do than photograph. But I do sometimes share photos of the doll after I have opened them to show people what theyre like if its a fairly new doll. I was the first to get a Souldoll Morse so I posted photos of him up. Otherwise if its a doll other people have got then Im not too keen to do photo shoots of them until I have made them unique and mine.

12. I've always found this process odd myself. I mean, the box opening section is full of essentially the same thing. A picture of the post box, then the doll's box, then the bubblewrap mummy, then the doll. Even the captions under the pictures tend to be identical.

When I was waiting for my first doll, I stalked the box opening section and looked at them every day. I have made two or three box openings (which were the same as everyone else's) for my first few dolls. But I haven't looked in there for a very long time.

I think the whole "box opening" thing is mostly for people who are newer to the hobby, or at least that is how it was for me. At first it let you see into this new hobby that you were getting into. Now they all look the same to me, although I am happy that everyone is getting and enjoying new dolls :)

So, to me, my answer to why it is there is that it helps new people know what to expect and get excited!

13. I have done box openings and posted them. It's to share with others who are curious or like the moulds. I LOVE using the box opening forum to look for moulds that don't come up in the gallery as much as I'd like, and the blank doll lets me see the potential better. I love using it for dolly research. I also like seeing box openings from people I interact with a fair bit on DoA/Flickr. I feel like I get to share in a friends joy - even though they may live on the other side of the world. It's just kind of fun.

14. I've looked at a lot of box opening from a while on, particularly about the dolls or companies I desire...
      I think it's quite fair from me returning the favour ^_^ so that other people can look and know what they will receive ^_^

15. To be honest, I do box openings for insurance reasons. If there is a broken part or I received the wrong item, I have pictures taken the day I opened the box for proof. If all goes well, I like to post up my box openings to show others my joy... and just in case other people would be interested in that same model of doll! (Box openings are helpful to newer members of the BJD so they know what to expect form a certain company. Or how a certain model of doll looks right out of the box!)

That's basically my two cents on the subject!

16. Of my 7 dolls, only the last one got a box opening photoshoot and thread. It was fun to do and I might do it again if the opportunity presents itself. The other dolls got short shrift because I felt a little self conscious about the whole process. the probably won't be a problem in the future. :)

17. For me, I always look at box openings of potential dolls I might buy. I want to know how they look completely unchanged yet, without a wig or new face-up. I like to know so that I will make sure there are no disappointments. Sometimes, we get too attached to company photos, or other people's dolls of the same sculpt, that when we open to see a naked, bald doll, we are a little illogically disappointed and sad that it isn't what we foolishly expected. For me, anyway. ^_^

18. Ha ha ha, one of the few box opening pics I've taken involves Lorry bald, naked, tied up in bits of bubble wrap, and curled up in the most awkward looking position--there was not a shred of dignity left in that box :lol:

19. I noticed this, too! xD Aside from Swaps, no other hobby I've seen/been into makes a big deal of opening ~the box~ ;3
      Personally, I LOVE looking at box openings. There are times when I get just as excited as the owner, seeing them open it >w< And it makes me even more excited for when my next doll comes in the post :D

1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?

Yes < 3 About 2/3rds of the time so far I've had a friend over during the opening and they ask why I'm taking pictures of it XDD

--If yes, why did you do it?

Honestly, I don't know ouO; I just did it because there was a board for it and thought it was fun 8}D Also now I can look through those pictures and get all excited again about the day my first boy arrive, direct from DoD :D

2) Why do you think we do it?
      As several people above me said- to share the excitement! :D Also if it's a doll from a new company or a sculpt no one's seen before, it's a good way to share information about what the company is like from the very moment the doll is in your hands.

20. To me, it is like a baby arrival in a new household. You celebrate their being in this world and in your life. Of course I don't mean it is on the same level as a real baby, which is a more intense and emotional experience than a doll, but the basic idea is there. And likewise compared to a shoe, a doll probably has more significance as there is more probably more attachment, time and sweat invested in it. e.g. people seldom named their shoe or create characters for it etc. Well at least that's how I see it~ XD

1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?
      Yes~ I have taken photos. Actually I got the idea of a full and proper box opening from the forum itself. But even if I didn't, I'd still have taken some basic photos like the parcel, box and doll-in-a-package shoot. Basically just to capture the moment my boy enters my life~ XD

2) Why do you think we do it?
      As my first paragraph. ^^ And as others point out, there is a practical use to it as well, people can see and judge for themselves the doll and the company that made and deliver it. But for me, it's more for sentimental reasons.