1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Box Openings - why do we have them?

Aug 23, 2010

1. Like most of the people out there, I love opening boxes (XD) and I've taken pics of each "layer", I suppose if you want to call it that, of the box but I haven't and don't believe I'll be posting them to share like I will once I see what my doll actually looks like as a whole. It's personal enjoyment and so that one day, I can look at these pics again and chuckle at the fact that that's what my doll looked like when he or she first got here (as I'm sure I would see them differently years down the road).

I love sharing pics of my dolls. (Isn't that part of why we're on this site?) Just not when they're naked, wrapped in bubble wrap (in unmentionable places) and have packing peanuts stuck to them. I'm sure my dolls -who tend to be more on the grown-up side- would strongly agree with me on this. XD

I don't know. Maybe one day when I get a tiny cutesy one I might.

2. I love looking at the box opening pics. The feeling of getting a new doll is indescribable - and observing pictures of other openings give opportunity to feel it again.
      I haven't done pictures of my box openings, mainly because I wanted to get out my dolls quickly :roll:though now I regret about this a little - if i did, I would have now pictures of those precious moments :daisy

3. I try to make one for each doll I have just for the fun of it ^^
      Is a good way to introduce your dolls when they first arrive and its fun =D

I like to look at box opening since its one of the best way to see how packed they were and how they look without any customization =D

4. I have never been calm enough to do a box opening I worry about getting bad shots in my excitement so have really not done one. Those who can I marvel at their patience to not only get great pics but stage it into a story. I for one esp. love those to see.

5. i love box openings! i especially like seeing other peoples, because if it's a particular doll i am interested in for me it gives a true representation of what the doll is like in real life so to speak....i love looking at faceups and dolls on company site but theres nothing like seeing it for real without the lights photoshop etc

6. I like box openings, and there is nothing wrong with them. Its like watching you opening up a Christmas present to feel the joy of getting something you wanted. Also, it can be helpful for people to see what a certain sculpt looks like from a company before ordering one yourself, the packaging, and any clothing/wigs you bought with the doll, and of course free goodies that companies sometimes gives you.

I did my box opening when I got my first doll, and I will do more each time I get a new doll.

7. many people will have a box openings video/photos of electronics. i dont think it is that unique.
      i do box openings reccords for expensive stuff i bought. and the reaon is because they are expensive..

8. cos they're fun and cute and usually have cats! =)
      Seriously, I think they just exist so everyone can share the joy they feel at the safe arrival of their new babies, and everyone who wants to can congratulate them. It's a purely innocent and happy bonding moment for the community. I LOVE box opening threads. :D

9. I love box openings. Scrolling down the page step-by-step as someone unpacks their new doll, it's almost like being there, it's really fun!

Before I even joined DOA, or knew of box openings, I ended up doing one with my first doll. I agree with those who've mentioned about sharing excitement, and also about it helping others considering buying that type of doll.
      I always look for owner pictures of a doll I've fallen for before I commit to buying it, and seeing it right out of the box without custom faceups,wigs etc is really helpful.

Also prolonging the excitement! Sometimes I'm nervous I'll end up not loving the doll, so I take my time in opening the box. Unpacking things is also a lot of fun for me, so anything that drags it out is great! Taking photos of each step for both box opening and also a story related box opening with my other dolls helps with that. And when the doll is unpacked, I love taking a million photos of my new baby from every angle XD

Though documenting it isn't really that new for me, as I grew up with my dad filming me and my sister every xmas opening presents XD (which I also unwrap very, very slowly )

10. I can't recall ever doing a box opening pic, and I don't really intend to do them. I don't really look at the member box openings either. It's like another person posted saying the character isn't complete at that point.
      IMO it's exciting but not something I really care to share with anyone enough to pick up a camera. ^^; I would rather show pictures I've put more effort into preparing for.

11. I plan on doing a few pictures when my doll arrives. It's fun.
      I think we do it because of the fact that the dolls are expensive and many have attachments to them. For example, myself. I already know what my doll will be named and I'm already creating a shady spot on my favorite shelf. Also, it's a fun tradition. In a hobby as fairly small as bjds are, each little tradition tends to be treasured.

12. I enjoy seeing the first owner photos of newly released dolls that I am interested in. I also enjoy looking at what the diffferent default face-ups from various companies look like in real life vs. photoshopped advertisements.

13. Hmmm, for one reason, I'm having a boxopening because I don't like to own a doll which is never get out of the box ;) Can't do too much with them :p
      I always make pictures when opening the doll, just to remember the moment. It's a bit like a child being born, people like to keep memories of that moment and share it.
      I love to read/watch the openings aswell, often just to see what I can expect from a doll I ordered or just a company I like. It's always nice to see what a doll looks like irl and not really in a photoshoot :p

14. 1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?

--If yes, why did you do it?
      yes, i did the box opening for my third doll, also when i bought joint hands for my boys...the reason why is it's informative and fun also it will help people who are new to the hobby to not make the same mistake as we did :doh when ordering :| As no one is my country did box opening or even know about bjd i didn't know what would happen when ordering since the mailing system is known to be bad :sweat. Also it's a good reference for people about to order X doll and only have pictures from the company site...so they are able to compare

--If not, why not?
      i didn't do the box opening of my first doll :( i was a newbie

2) Why do you think we do it?
      i admit is purely to showoff :aheartbea ok there's a lot of reason we are happy and like to share our joy with our friends ^_^, i even have people come over when they know i'm going to do a box opening...saying "plz don't open the box till i've arrive!" :lol:

15. Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?
      Yes I have on multiple occasions for my dolls.

If yes, why did you do it?
      I did it because I wanted to remember that moment forever when they first came home. I also wanted to be able to have others share in the happiness I had. I know back when the littlefee's were pretty new, a lot of people wanted to see the box and what they came in. I also did it during the event period and was showing the event head that came with it. It's also just great to see how owners take their box opening pictures and what's important to them within that box.

Why do you think we do it?
      I think we do it because we want others to share in our joy. I also think it's great for reference to others who want to know what kind of a packaging job certain companies do. It's can be a good thing in the case of new companies too, so people can see owner pictures of a new doll.

16. I haven't done a box opening before but when my first doll gets here I'm planing on doing one.
      I think people do these and love looking at them is because it takes so long for our own dolls to get here that its nice to look at others getting theres. Also the BJD community seems to be a very close community and box openings helps that.

17. I agree with all of you that say box openings are fun and useful for a variety of reasons; the expense, the waiting; the specialness of a particular doll. But it also, as some others have alluded to, gives the hobby a fundamental tradition. And it's like opening Christmas/Hanukkah presents, which are usually shared with others. Who doesn't like to open long-awaited beautiful presents in the presence of friends? The sharing part is what makes it sooo much fun! I just wish I had the patience to do a box opening myself. I usually open the boxes much to fast; box openings allow one to savor the moment. I almost feel obligated to do one at some point because I'm always searching Youtube for the latest box openings.

18. I absolutely love to look at other people's box openings because of their commentary and their joy. I don't feel the need to do mine though, usually I'm way too excited and impatient to even think of grabbing my camera. I just squirrel the box into my room and on my own, I dig in. lol I have no real witty commentary or backstory, and I somehow feel that all those older to the hobby would not really be interested in my random pictures. :lol: I also don't really feel the need to do a box opening for myself especially if someone else has done one for the same doll. But that's just my own feelings on why I don't do them.

19. 1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?

--If yes, why did you do it?

I plan to take a box opening video and snap a few pictures when I get my boy for 1) memories and 2)to share the excitement!

2) Why do you think we do it?

I suppose for the same reasons I plan to do it. :)

20. I love browsing the box openings threads! It's so fun to share in other people's excitement and I always comment on every thread I open because to someone, that doll means so much and it's nice to hear that other people think he or she is special too.

Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?
      I was too shaky and excited to take pictures of my first boy, but I took pictures of my second and my girlfriend's first. It's so exciting, I love having tangible memory of their arrival. It's fun to look back and remember what I was feeling the moment I unraveled Matt from his bubble wrap! For my girlfriend, I have many pictures of her face as she held her doll for the first time. It's a lovely and sentimental thing.

Why do you think we do it?
      They are humanlike, sweet, expensive, and most people have to wait a few months between purchase and arrival. The dolls are often characters invented by the owner and have custom wigs and faces and clothes, it's a very personal thing. I believe box openings make perfect sense for this hobby.