1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Box Openings - why do we have them?

Aug 23, 2010

1. 1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?

Both yes and no...

--If yes, why did you do it?

Mainly yes, but for personal benefit of memories or if something maybe wrong with the doll I'll need documentation of the issue. If not many people have seen the scupt before...I tend to have tastes that run a tad differently to the mainstream, I'll post it up on DoA and Faireground. I'll do it for those dolls mainly so people know about the quality or can ask me questions such as posing etc

--If not, why not?

Sometimes I'm just too damn impatient...

2) Why do you think we do it?

Mainly personal documentation...To also share

2. 1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?

Yes I will often take photographs of new new arrival. Not only that but I will usually invite my good friend over, who got me into the hobby and enlist her in the photography. With my first doll, it was because I was worried something would be wrong and I wouldn't know how to fix it, also I didn't have a camera, but it was my first doll I wanted to make memories. Now she comes over so I can 'Look what you did, another one... are you happy now?'
      I would have to agree with this as well. Although I think it also has something to with the desire to share with the community. I will always tell people over at RezinDollz when I have ordered a new doll, found a sculpt I like or a doll is finally delivered. They're my friends. Although we only met because of dolls, I have actually met people I enjoy spending time with, and look forward to seeing them when I come home from University in the holidays. I want to share my experiences with them because then they can get a little bit excited and vice versa.

3. 1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?

No. I'm not really sure why I haven't ever felt the desire to do one.
      Sharing the experience? Letting other people see what the doll looks like in owner photos? I for one am really appreciative that people do this, because I like to see dolls without their faceups especially.Otherwise, I'm simply excited to see other people's dolls when I think the sculpt is exceptional or cool.

4. I really like box openings, because (as others have mentioned) I like to share in someone else's excitement. For me, the box opening is the documentation of opening a present. I find it akin to when people take pictures of presents being opened at birthdays, holidays, or showers. These dolls are often expensive, usually take a while to arrive, and probably have built up lots of anticipation for the owner. People take pictures (or record) and write a bit about the experience so they can share the event with others. I've made box opening threads, my purpose was to share my happiness with others who might interested. I know that people who don't like or care about box openings just won't read it, so those who do read it are those who also like box openings--and thus they will enjoy it.

I think some people like reading the box opening because they want to see non-professional pictures. Even if the pictures aren't good quality or specific shots, sometimes it gives you a strong idea of what the doll is really like. It's also nice to see how a company packages their goods and what they might include. Most dolls arrive without faceups, but sometimes it can be hard to see pictures of a doll without the faceup on the company website--so getting a glimpse of a blank, fresh-from-the-factory doll might help someone else who was intending on purchasing it.

I know that I enjoy reading box openings because I remember how exciting it's been for me to open the dolls I own. When I read someone else's thread, even if they're buying a doll I don't care for, I remember that warm fuzzy feeling. :D

5. I pretty much agree with everything MilkyTea just said. That is why I like box opening that show the unopened box. You get to feel the aniticipation that the person whose doll it is feels. It is like sharing the emotion across hundreds of thousands of miles. Emotionally you are right there! I love it!

6. I took pictures with my second doll and was very fun. The dolls are something you wait for a long time, you dream about how they will like and when they arrive is a very special moment and you want to immortalize that to see some times you need it...and of course to share that happiness with eveyone

7. 1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?
      I have taken box-opening pictures of most of my dolls; I have several motivations for doing so: I like to document the process of arrival so I can remember the excitement of a new doll in the future; I also love packaging, and some of the doll packagings are so creative and/or beautiful, it'd be a shame not to document them; the act of documenting the process also makes it seem substantial and more weighty.

I think people like to share their excitement, and since most of us can't gather in one room when a doll arrives, this is an alternative. Some people document the arrival process in order to show other doll owners how the new doll is packaged, what the packaging looks like, and what to expect, basically.
      I for one love to look at box-openings because it exposes me to all kinds of companies, and I suppose I also live vicariously through other doll owners. Sometimes,too, if I have questions about some companies or dolls I also look for owners who've recently obtained one of the molds in question to ask.

8. I adore box openings, It makes me feel as if I was there!

9. I've seen box openings from a whole slew of hobbies, from the expensive to the relatively inexpensive. So this sort of thing is not unique at all as some may think.

I'm waiting on my first doll, and I may or may not do a box opening based on my impatience ;]
      But as far as looking other people's, I like looking at box openings for seeing how one company ships the product versus others, which have helped me determine what companies to stay away from as far as I'm concerned.
      I also use it, as other have said, for nude doll body and blank sculpt references.

10. I just reviewed the entire box opening forum last night (except for the specific year ones) and I got more and more excited with each doll I saw. The box openings are really great for showing what to expect (good and bad, I feel horrible for the girl who's dollie's face was broken!) upon opening a doll. They're really fun and educational. ^_^

11. If I bother to record myself opening my first doll, it's because it's Christmas, not a doll. I'm very excited for it, but I don't view it to be nutty crazy once in a life time event kinda' thing.
      Though some people like that. I mean, that's cool with me. :D

12. The first and only box opening I did was of my first doll, well I did one for my chrom, but i am not sure if i posted it or not...

I did them to show everyone what the doll looks like fresh out of the box, its very informative... and its the same reason why I look at box openings. Some times the promo pictures seem to good to be true, seeing user pictures that are less photo shoped, or dont have wigs, or clothings in the way of the doll / doll structure/ joints, really lets you see the doll for what it is before the person adds in thier artistic input. And yes it is exciting!!!!

13. I totally agree. D: I wish that doll salesmen would show honest sculpt pictures, even if they were less attractive. I was afraid to buy my first doll because of the fear of him being not like the pictures.

14. 1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?
      I haven't bought a BJD yet, but when I do I plan to take tons of pictures! (See #2)

Because when we get a new doll, or our first doll, we're all bubbling with excitement and anticipation-which everyone can relate to. We wish for the doll when we see it, agonize over the wait for the doll when we buy it, and freak out when... OMG IT ARRIVED!! Photo op! :D

15. Interesting question.
      I mean, noone can be this excided about a big box like we can… Last time I scared a mailman while standing there just staring in awe at the box that which length was almost half my height. From the way he quickly jumped back into the car was evident the poor man wasn’t getting it XD

1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?
      Yes and no.
      --If not, why not?
      First time I was too excided to ever thing what a camera is until I held that little thing in my hands for hours long. And then my camera didn’t work or I was too impatient… or both. And Chica was brought on a meet-up so no box for me :sweat
      --If yes, why did you do it?
      I saw it here and found it fascinating. After lots of spent money and waiting it nearly screamed to be done.
      I'ts a way we can share this moments with the lot XD And also it seems nowhere else than in box openings you have the chance to see some sculpts without face-ups, with various wigs, look closer on the bodies etc. ;)

16. 1) Have you created a box opening video or taken pictures as you opened the box?

I currently have 5 dolls. I've never once done a box opening photo-shoot. I've taken a few photos after I've freed them from the bubble-wrap, but never during. I'm usually so excited by the thought of the new doll that I really can't see myself stopping just to snap a few pictures. It would be like taking a half opened present away from a little kid on Christmas morning. :sweat

Photo-shoots are... a great way to show our new lovelies to the people who are going to care the most; other BJD hobbyists. I mean there are pages and pages of stories from collectors about how Mom/Dad/Significant Other/Friends don't really understand our doll fascination - so why show them? They probably won't feel as joyful as you do at that moment.

Box openings are also a great chance to see non-stock pictures of dolls you might be interested in.

17. I have just recently started posting on the forum so, no, I have not made one yet. I hope to do so in the future though! I love to look at the box opening threads! I think it's very informative to other members who's considering the same doll. You get a much better idea of the doll seeing personal photos compared to those on the companies' sites. And I like to share the excitement with the owner! I think for a lot of people it feels a bit like getting a new "family member". And who can understand that better than other BJD owners? I can look at box opening threads for hours! It's really fun to see what people make out of it:)

18. That's interesting! I didn't know it was common in the world of computer gadgets as well:)

19. To be honest, I bet there were a couple people on this sight who loved to take pictures and capture every important moment who first did the box opening, which was followed by a bunch of people who thought it was a cute idea, which was followed by a bunch of people who saw that a lot of other people were doing it and wanted to fit in.
      That's why I did it. I honestly don't even remember if I posted the photos... I think I did. I can't remember the last time I looked at them though. I'm actually not very big on photographs at all, but I felt like I had to, because a major part of this community is sharing photos of your doll.

20. I don't think I'd have the patience to do one myself but I love watching them. YouTube is full of BOs for every product under the sun and as online shopping takes over from high street stores (who never have full stock ranges any more because of the recession) they will become more important. Virtual shopping doesn't allow us to look closely at something, touch it, get a sense of its scale etc so watching someone else do this is the next best thing.
      Oh and of course - sharing the excitement is pretty good!