1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Boy bodies getting more muscular?

Sep 21, 2011

1. What do you think will happen?
      I don't think non-muscular bodies are going to disappear, although they're not as fashionable as the muscular ones at the moment.

What do you want to happen?
      I'd like to see a wide range of bodies available to suit all tastes.

Do you prefer muscles, no muscles, or just no males?
      I'm not a fan of the really buff bodies, but equally I'm not so fond of the more childish ones. I prefer mature bodies without a lot of muscle definition or bulk. I don't mind if they're a little feminine - as a trans guy they'll never have a body more feminine than mine!

Which company makes your favourite boy sculpt?
      For a slender/teenage body I love the Volks SDGr body. I can't really think of a more mature body I actually like because most of the companies with head sculpts I like tend to make either young, slender bodies or big muscular ones. For most companies 'mature' seems to mean 'ripped'.

And which one makes your least favourite sculpt?
      I'm not sure I have a least favourite sculpt. There are plenty that aren't to my taste, but none in particular stand out as my least favourite.

Do you have any bodies that you don't prefer? (too muscly, not muscly enough)
      I can't list any specific bodies that I dislike, but generally I'm not a fan of the really muscular ones, especially if the sculpting looks very artificial (too stylised, perfect symmetry etc). I also don't like childish bodies on larger dolls (60cm+).

2. Exactly! I like that we have more choice nowadays. I think it's more obvious simply because muscular bodies used to be a minority, and now it's coming up almost equal.

To me, it's not so much I dislike non-muscular/muscular bodies, but depends on how it matches the face :P I'm not a fan of bishie boys now - I used to be in my youth; but I'm not fond of the overly defined muscles on certain bodies either, I like the nicely defined middle. (I know you can sand down the muscle definition on bodies, but I'm a lazy bum :XD:)

3. There are numerous people here that like the entire range of bodies, and many that simply like the same as you. I personally prefer Iplehouse/Idealian type bodies for men, but I think there will be variety for a long time.

4. its the simple fact I wanted something more realistic, you can find (pretty) realistic for the women dolls (some people are naturally thin and what not, no one is naturally muscular).
      I am a little more lenient with my search for the right doll for Odin, because he's a faerie, and they appear much more idolized here (though I do want to make Syrinx look older, which is another problem, I don't want all my msd's looking 20, Syrinx is supposed to be 40)

5. I'm glad there's a bigger variety available now, but personally, I don't care for the giant, muscle-bound dolls. I would love to find a 70cm boy that's realistically slender and lanky, but all I find in that height are the super beefy boys or the cartoonishly noodle-like boys.

6. What do you think will happen?
      I think we'll see a lot more of mature, muscular bodies. It seems like it's very popular right now.

I just want to see a lot of variation. Slender guys, muscular guys and everything in between.

I like both the muscular and really feminine bodies, but my favourite type is the mix. A bit of muscles on a slender body.

I love Souldoll's Double Boy body.

I'm not too fond of the Delf boy body. It's so childish, that I find it unrealistic on anything older than a young teenager.

The childish kind. At least on SDs.

7. What do you think will happen?
      I'm not sure, but i agree that boys body's are getting more masculine.
      I want the more feminine body's to still be available! But i do plan for some of my characters to have more buff body's.
      I prefer all males, but with nice body's with hardly any muscles.
      Illusion spirit!! The SD male body's are absolutely gorgeous!
      Angel Fantasy.
      Do you have (own) any bodies that you don't prefer? (too muscly, not muscly enough)
      Nope XD

8. I doubt BJD companies will start exclusively producing more muscular and/or more "adult"-looking boys. Too many people like the less muscled boys (more girly boys). While Iplehouse EID or Soom Megagem or Idealians are becoming more popular, we still a lot of people buying the more "girly" bodies simply because that's what they prefer.

Personally, I like the variety coming out. My dolls tend to be based on characters (if I don't just grab what I love), and my characters cover a wide range of body types and ages. I don't think anyone has to worry about these adult/muscled dolls taking over. :D

9. What do you think will happen? I think they may trend towards the more muscular scuplt.
      What do you want to happen? I want to have a variety of male bodies, just like there are with the females.
      Do you prefer muscles, no muscles, or just no males? I do not do males.
      Which company makes your favourite boy sculpt? Can not answer this
      And which one makes your least favourite sculpt? Can not answer this.
      Do you have (own) any bodies that you don't prefer? I only own one body and she is a mature female.

10. What do you think will happen?

There are always more popular trends. I don't think they will keep companies from making other kinds of bodies. The main trend I see is that bjds are becoming more and more varied. So there will be companies out there making something for everyone, even though that means they ALL aren't offering exactly what one individual may want.

Years ago there were ONLY very boy-ish bodies. That was OK for those who wanted that, but not so great for people who liked muscles. The companies making muscles are just responding to those who like muscles. Those who like boyish bodies are still able to find them--and I think they always will... just that the number of sculpts available will vary depending on what people are wanting at the time.

I think the current trend of having lots of different styles is fine with me.

I like muscles AND I like slender males. I do prefer males, but also have females.

I can't pick one favorite.
      For muscular, I like Iplehouse's EID Model version.
      For defined and older but more slender, I like Soom's SuperGem
      In a smaller size (60cm), for defined but older, I like IOS

I have CP Delf Type 1 boys for smoother, less defined bodies.

Hmmm... I don't really have sculpts I'd point out that way... I just try not to buy sculpts that I don't really love.

I find some body sculpts that don't look right or pleasing to me, aesthetically or anatomically... abs that just look unnatural of fake, pecs that look too much like females or are an odd shape... But it's personal opinion, really.

No. I like skinny to super-hero... although skinny if it looks like the poor boy is starving to death worries me. I guess it's OK for a zombie character, though! :)

11. I do like having boys with muscular bodies and feminine heads with long hair. Its my type so naturally I like them that way. Muscular bodies also makes them look more older and not like children.

12. What do you think will happen?
      I think there will always be enough people who like the nonmuscular bodies, so those of us who like them shouldn't worry too much. I like too many dolls as it is, so having more muscle-men that I wouldn't want is probably a good thing.

A nice balance, so there won't be too many dolls on my wish list.

No muscles at all! I pretty much hate the look of muscles on dolls or real guys. The only reason I'd want a muscular guy is to make my other boys look more wimpy in comparison, which won't be happening since I don't have enough money to buy dolls I don't like.

I like the Luts Junior Delf quite a bit.

Iplehouse and Soom come to mind. I don't think either make "bad" sculpts by any means, but they're the opposite of what I like for my guys.

Do you have (own) any bodies that you don't prefer? (too muscly, not muscly enough)
      My Luts Ethan is too muscular. Also, I don't like my Ringdoll Pan's abs. Neither Ethan nor Pan look bulky when dressed though, so it doesn't bother me. And my Crobidoll bodies are too large, even if they aren't necessarily muscular. I wish their shoulders were more narrow.

13. What do you think will happen?
      I think more variety is coming out! I don't think the fan base for slender girly sculpts has disappeared at all, and more and more companies are joining the market ^^

I personally want more slender-but-mature (like, wiry muscle) minis. SDs currently have the most variation, and I hope the mini market catches up with that variation soon...

I prefer in-between. I don't like boys that look like they're less than 17 or 18 years old, but I'm not a big fan of superhero-style muscle either. So, I like some muscle without going overboard :)

I like Minifees for posability and natural lines, but the muscle on the active line is almost too much for me, hehe. I wish something like the Ringdoll teens existed in mini-size - skinny, but with some muscle on 'em. Withdoll is really nice too.

Volks minis, or other similar cutesy childlike minis. I want adult dolls ^^

Again, I avoid childlike dolls that look younger than 17. Super-duper muscle also is too much for me (like the SOOM Mega gems, or the big Iplehouse ones. I like my boys wiry and graceful, but with some kind of muscle!

14. Muscles have been happening for years now. We get this question every 6 months or so. Some people like muscles, and some people don't, so there are generally enough bodies on the market for everyone. Still, even so, there are always some who complain that nobody makes the exact specific body shape they want-- and complainers are always the loudest voices-- so that makes it sound like there's some kind of lack of diversity in the male half of BJDdom. Which there seriously isn't. You'll see more variety the more you shop around.

I like beefcake muscles, I like scrawny-bones, I like soft nonmuscular girlyboyflesh, I like balletic sinew, I like 'em all. I have 32 now and I'd like as many more as my apartment will hold. Bring 'em on.

15. What do you think will happen?
      I think that there will always be a variety of body types available they would not make money if they only catered to one audience. To be honest I think there's a pretty even amount of muscular and slender bodies for males.

I want there to always be a variety of body types because some characters look better more muscular, while others do not.

Personally I don't PREFER muscular body types but I like how the more muscular sculpts look, for some reason to me the detail always looks more realistic and better made then ones that aren't. But I have always preferd more slender bodies in men, so that preference translates to dolls too.

I would have to say its fairyland, I always loved how the male bodies look.

Its probably ResinSoul, I really love their heads but I think that their bodies are to geometric and not very realistic.

Do you have (own) any bodies that you don't prefer?
      So far I only own one doll and I love the way his body looks.

16. What do you think will happen?
      Since the newer molds feature buff(er) bodies, they will just take up more ad space. It may look like there are more, but keep in mind that companies are just advertising their newer molds. I think feminine-looking guys have a big enough fan base that they would never phase out. It's also a classic.

I really like the in-between male bodies - not to stick-like, but not bulging with puffy muscles either. I go crazy for the molds that throw in vein details. I don't know why I find it so cool
      :sweat. Also, epic body detailing (with paint) looks pretty darn nice.

again, I'd have to go with in-between :)

Soom = PERRRRFFFEECCTT :aheartbea
      Leekeworld has good molds too!

I wouldn't say least favorite, but Fairyland's ChicLine (and FeePle 65) gets a little too puffy (they look like they've got nice manboobs:doh). The bodies are also poorly proportioned with the head... iono, something looks off to me... The FeePle 70 is too stick-like

again, not necessarily my least favorite, but I'm not a fan of Iplehouse. Something just doesn't work for me (I don't dislike them, I would just never own one).

Luts guys' bodies have lots of toned muscle, but the body has no shape :[ they're like buff sticks (not the in-between I was going for).

I can't stand the super stick alien-like bodies. I forgot which company had it (not a big name one), but I couldn't even look at the poor BJD it was so flimsy! I don't like puffy, manboob bodies either >.>

17. What do you think will happen?

I think things will pretty much continue as they are.
      There is already a glut of ridiculously ripped male bodies, and I don't see that changing in the near future.

I don't mind the current options, but I'd love for a tall, grown-up male body that doesn't look like the owner spends all his time working out. Less idealized, ideally. But I shan't be holding my breath.

I prefer some detail (so the body is not just a series of tubes), but other than that, I think it depends on the character. For my first resin guy, I did my very best to choose a body that wasn't outrageously bulging with muscles because it would not have suited his character at all. Even so, he looks like he does way too many sit-ups to be the lazy intellectual that he is.

Buddydoll, though they have closed down.

Hm. That's harder. There's a lot that I don't prefer, but not that many that stick out to me.
      Maybe Dollshe -- even though they are so popular, I find the DS28M bodies are too much like alien robots for my personal tastes (though many collectors and artists have used them spectacularly).

I have the Supergem boy body. It's okay, but I wish it was less muscly and had more graceful lines.

18. I think the companies are responding to the market. Mature muscled sculpts have been selling; more companies will make muscular dolls for a piece of that market.

It's good to not confuse 'new items' with 'everything available', or what's popular now with 'everything else is now obsolete and on its way to the dustbin of history, never to be seen again'. Just because a lot of new sculpts of this style are coming out, it doesn't mean most of the older ones of the previous style have vanished into the ether, or that no more in those styles will be produced. A number of companies seem to be expanding their lines; it doesn't surprise me that they're expanding them by adding more mature sculpts in head and body because of the popularity of these sculpts among collectors. Very few seem to have discontinued sculpts in earlier or more stylized styles, or their more youthful bodies, unless it's to replace that body with a new youthful body version. I want this trend to continue -- adding diversity.

Speaking only for myself, there are very few instances in which I'd buy a childlike male body with minimal muscle definition. Unless the character it was meant to portray is meant to be a youth, it's not going to happen. Since I have a few (very few, mostly ageless youthful deities) of these characters in mind, it likely will -- but even so, I prefer detailed sculpts that give a sense of the structure of the body. The Spiritdoll elegance line bodies are, to me, the best fit for 'younger, not overly muscled, with elegant details in the sculpt'; they make the underlying forms clear in a way that gives the doll a 'realness' that is just not there to me in some other bodies that could fit the same age range. The genderless SD Volks body sculpts are also a great fit -- just not particularly easy to get a hold of.

This is not meant to be a slight against any other collector in any way, but I personally feel creeped out by handling something that looks like a naked prepubescent boy. It is an entirely personal squick: I don't think poorly of anyone who collects this type or make any negative mental connections in regard to them, I'd just rather not do it myself. This doesn't bug me at all with adult dolls of either gender, or with tinies, but that middle ground with male dolls just creeps me right out. Do I know why? Sort of. It just does. Does it bother me with girls? Nope, not in the least, because having had that body myself way in the distant past, it doesn't trouble me in the same fashion.

In terms of popularity, I have no doubt it will shift back again at some point in the next few years. Trends really are merely that.

19. mmmm muscular dolls XD

20. I think the andregenous boys have their place int he Anime or elfin realm. i love humanoid dolls and i want my male dolls to look male thats why i am all over the iplehouse male dolls. I love theu way they are sculpted and the fact that there can be no doubt about their Superheo body!