1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Boy bodies getting more muscular?

Sep 21, 2011

1. I am so over the girly boy dolls; let the male dolls look like men! There is nothing more off putting for me as a collector, who loved male dolls, than to see one that I cannot tell is a boy unless the shirt is off. I am familiar with the origin of certin types of Japanese Anime and where that sort of look came from but I find it a bit creepy. That's why I have dred locked wigs and facial hair added to some of my boy dolls so there is no doubt of their masculinity. The adrogenous look just does not do it for me unless i was trying to creat some off the wall character that would require said attribute.

My favorite body sculpt will remain iplehouse EID because they bodies an facial sculpts look like actual men and i really appreciate that in my BJDs. I know the majority of you may disagree with me however; that is the beauty of life and idivduality. You like what you like, and I like what I like, Needless to say, I like boy/man dolls that look gender specific beyond a doubt.

2. What do you think will happen?

I'm not sure, everyone likes something different. I like a variety of body types, but that's because the dolls I want are somewhat diverse. I like having options, and honestly, some of the less detailed bodies work for some of my characters since the boys have softer figures, and some have more muscular bodies because they do more.

What do you want to happen?

I want them to keep both types, I'm not sure if it will happen, but both bodies, unless they are too child-like, appeal too me.

Do you prefer muscles, no muscles, or just no males?

I like both options.

Which company makes your favourite boy sculpt?

On body type I think my favourite male body is probably the Iplehouse EID and SID bodies. They're lovely~ But other companies make bodies just as nice and very different from their muscular ones. For a non-muscular body I really like Dollzone's MSD boy bodies, they very feminine for a boy, without having a true girl's shape. I have one of the DZ bodies and it suits my doll very well.

And which one makes your least favourite sculpt?

Probably Luts or Volks, which I know is probably going to make me very unpopular. XD But they have very childlike proportions in their MSD's, so they just don't fit in with my plans.

Do you have (own) any bodies that you don't prefer? (too muscly, not muscly enough)

Yes, actually. I would love to alter or adjust my Doll Family guy's body to be a little more muscular. The character is a demon and he doesn't have the right body shape for him, but the face was perfect. I would love to send him to a customizer and have his resin sanded into a more masculine shape, give him less chub.

3. What do you think will happen?

I think the market is going to continue expanding in ALL directions as far as muscles go. It's not like all new releases are more muscular nowadays! Spirit Doll just very recently (well, within the past year or so) put out a beautiful, soft adolescent boy body, when in the past all they had was their muscle-hunk of a 70-cm body (also beautiful, don't get me wrong). Luts had also come out with a less muscular body for their SDF's - all they had before was that sinew-and-muscle bod. Fairyland likes to do things in two, so I assume they're going to come out with a less muscular Feeple 65 when they get around to it. Asleep Eidolon is quite new, and they have gentle, effeminate boys, and Dollstown is planning to release a slimmer 72 cm body as well.

I like all directions. I'd love to see more companies whose bodies can match up and look proportional next to Soom and Iplehouse's big boys. I'd also love to see more lithe, slender boy bodies, because not all men are built like tanks. Personally, I'd love to see more angles in the faces too - I don't think most companies' boy bodies are all that androgynous, but coupled with a soft, round feminine face, I'm not surprised there are so many "why these men not look like men" comments get thrown around.

I like natural muscles. That is to say, a slimmer body would naturally build less muscle than a thicker one, therefore I like slimmer boy bodies with less muscle, and bigger, thicker boy bodies with more. I like at least a little bit of muscle on all of my men, because men naturally build muscle with a lot more ease, and have less adipose tissue under their skin, which means their muscles are almost always pronounced unless they live a rather unattractive sedentary lifestyle.

Slimmer boys: Volks SDGr, Spiritdoll Elegance, Luts SDF Type 3.... The new Dollstown 18 years boy body.There's got to be a few more, I can't recall off the top of my head.

Thicker boys: Soom Idealian and Mega Gem. Iplehouse EID/SID. Spiritdoll 70 cm body.

Um... I don't keep track of this, to be honest. There are some that just have absolutely the wonkiest proportions ever, and I'd never want to own them. Most of the sculpts I don't buy though, I don't buy because they don't pose well.

Do you have (own) any bodies that you don't prefer? (too muscly, not muscly enough)

Anything with an 8-pack. Sorry, that just doesn't happen in real life? Like, ever? It's physically impossible, because normally there is tissue that always covers the last set of abdominals in real humans. To quote my favourite anatomy expert, "There aren't 8 abdominal divisions on the human body. Or 10. or 12. There's 6. You know, like a 'six pack'?"

That's single-handedly the one thing that bothers me about all male bodies. I also know I don't have a way out, because nearly every muscly doll will have that. :|

4. My problem is that I want beefier guy bodies that aren't ripped within an inch of their lives. Guys can and are big without bulging muscles all over the place. I don't need every male doll in my collection looking like HHH!!
      Where are the lumber-jack-esque bodies?? Big without looking like they spend every waking moment lifting weights? It gets even worse when they're not quite anatomically correct... some look like the bones and muscles were studied separately and then layered wrong :\

I'm really a fan of bodies like Dollstown that are almost chunky-looking without actually being chunky, and still solid if that makes sense. Yes it has muscle definition, but not so much that it looks like he's flexing 24/7. I wish there were more like that. It seems like only the short 58-60 cm bodies are shaped somewhat the way I would like them to be, but they're all too small for the heads I have that need bodies atm. I'm talking about something around 65cm. With actual shoulders.

I do enjoy the occasional pro-wrestler look. I have the Popodoll 68, a DM Glamor Model and an EID and they are fabulous, I just don't want all my guys looking like poster children for steroid abuse. Variety, it makes life exciting.

5. What do you think will happen?
      Not too sure, but the trend looks to be bigger and taller, which is pretty much what the demographic is clamoring for. Personally I'm enjoying the emergence of beefy bodies.

I would actually like to see companies try their hands at more non-muscular male bodies. Most have become discontinued or look too blocky rather than natural or shapely. I'd also like to see older sculpts, something that looks like it's past 30. That said, I do greatly enjoy the diverse body types that are beginning to come out.

Depends on the type of character I want, but for personal preference I tend to gravitate towards the track athlete body type.

Volks SD17, Ariadoll 18yr, Spirit Doll Proud. Distinctly male without too many muscles.

Doll Family, Illusion Spirit, Dikadoll. They look too blocky and undefined to me.

I like all the bodies I own, some are just not appropriate for the characters.

6. Maybe I am lookin in the wrong places, but it does seem to me that muscular body bodies are taking over the market. Searching for a nice, willowy 65cm body is nigh impossible. It's quite irritating, really. There's not really an increase in variety when your choices are muscles, more muscles, anatomically incorrect muscles and even more muscles. :\

So I do think there is a trend towards more muscular boy bodies. I wouldn't mind it so much if there wasn't a trend away from non-muscular bodies at the same time. /irritation

7. What do you think will happen?
      Doll companies will continue producing what they think will sell.

That the types of bodies available simply expands rather than shifts.

Depends a bit on the character which is why I would like to see my options expand.

Currently Iplehouse. I am looking for a nice bulky boy and I love their realism!

Er...I can't think of a specific company for this one, but any of them that try to be "muscular" but end up looking emaciated.

No. As far as adult males go I currently have just one boy and he is a Type 2 Luts. I like that he has some muscle definition since I thought the type 1 looked too young for the character. He also is thin and lean which is just what I needed for my character! I can also say with reasonable confidence that I won't compromise on my doll. I am saving money and buckling down to make the jump to 70 cm so that I can get my next boy on an Iplehouse superhero body.