1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Breaking the Mold" or, loving what you thought you wouldn't.

Mar 8, 2008

1. -Never buying a white skin doll. (My only bjd is WS xD)
      -Wanted him just with the default face up. (I made his face up myself )
      -Wanted to buy the complete doll from Luts. (Oliver is a second hand hybrid)
      -Wanted to buy only glass eyes and a fiber wig (Oliver has acrylic eyes and a fur wig :P)
      -When Puki Puki's were realeased, I found them so small, so I would never
      going to have one (And now I'm dying for Sugar xD)

2. Own a bjd (I have 3 1 on the way)
      Own an SD, too big, too heavy, too expensive (I now have my 1st on the way to me, expecting her in tomorrow actually)
      Own any tinies (I now have 2 and want more!)

3. Heh, yeah...my list of things I didn't like and would never own is was very short.
      One, I wasn't going to ever own a tiny. Two, I wasn't ever going to want or own a girl. Now...I've got a Bobobie Sunny and I'm paying off an Elfdoll William Winterberry. Oh, and I just found tonight that I lovelovelove the vampire version of Dark Elf Soo.

4. I promised myself NO tinies because that way lies DOOM.
      Not spending more than a $1000 on a doll
      No modding
      No completely closed eyed heads

Well, the tiny thing lasted until I saw an ED Alice Cherry Blossom in person, Now I have the Gothic Hoodie version AND ordered TWO of the tan LaTi Greens (total mental collapse)

Spent well over $1000 to get a Kurumi

I'm LOOKING for a closed eyed MSD head (I want a BW MNF Woosoo head-still looking for a split!) To add scars too...

But I have not modded a doll, not like dremmel rotor tool type modding- still too chicken. I will be scarring my closed eyed doll when he's finished.

5. When I started out --> Now

Only wanted to have one doll --> Currently have 10
      Didn't like and didn't want any Volks dolls --> Currently have 3 with 1 on the way
      Wanted to keep to just one size (started with MSD sized) --> Now have tinies, a mini and SDs.
      No girl dolls ever! --> Now with 2 and 1 on the way
      Wouldn't spend over 'x' amount for any one doll --> Have well and truly broken that self-imposed rule! :XD:

Man, I am weak! But lovin' it! :D

6. Things I Never Wanted in a BJD:
      - No senior delfs, to big
      - Not a lot of outfits
      - No tattoos, or face-ups and such. I'm to lazy.
      - BJDs need to be from the same company.

'Breaking the Mold':
      - I'm looking at a Hound or a Husky... I don't mind the big ones at all.
      - I'm making outfits and crap, I want to open up a shop later this year...
      - My dolls have tattoos and I've done their face-ups and I'd also like to open an aesthetics shop after I have a large quantity of MSC.
      - My first doll was from Luts, my second from DOD, I'm looking at the Hound and I don't care.

7. I had pretty much only one rule for myself: NO tinies! Figured it was waaaay too much money to spend on something so itty bitty. I now have 3 with 1 on the way and am looking to buy two more :)

8. Dreaming doll, BW, girl to boy mod body, a doll taller than 60cm, I dunno XD Lots of the things I never though I'd get, when I got them I really didn't like them XD

And a breakaway in an odd way, lol.

9. My main goal is to stay with only 2 (full) dolls and so far I'm still sticking true. ( I still don't see myself splitting my attention to more than 2)

I think the only thing that didn't go according to plan is to not keep my Spinel head D: I was like 'eh' when the blank head arrived but when I gave him a practice face-up, I liked him..too much that I changed my mind about modding his body to fit another head. >_>

10. I always said..I'll never gonna buy a tiny..I have two and five more planned! XD

11. Oh yes~ let's see...::::

- I swore I would only ever get one doll (kept that promise for a year- I now got 6)
      - I said I would never get a MSD (I have 1 now)
      - I said I would always stick to BW dolls only (I have 3 NS dolls now)

>_______________<

12. Oh my, I've broken all my "rules". =P

-I didn't want a white-skinned doll (I have a CP BW and a DoD, which is pretty close)
      -I didn't want 43cm dolls (have two now)
      -I wasn't interested in boy dolls, they didn't appeal to me at first (have two now)
      -Wasn't interested in tinies (one on the way, more planned)
      -I told myself "None of this 'floating head' business" and four of my dolls started as floating heads... and I still have two. :doh
      -I thought I would never be able to sell a doll, until I got a girl that I couldn't bond with no matter how I tried. (But that turned out well because now she's in a wonderful new loving home. :aheartbea)
      -I also had a price limit I told myself I'd never go over... until my dream doll came up in the marketplace at a price over that limit. Now I'm paying him off via layaway. =P

13. My list.

First
      - No more than one doll (I broke this when I bought Vespa)
      - No SD (Vespa is a SD. . .)
      - No boys

And then it changed into
      - No more than two dolls (I broke this when I bought Durante)
      - No boys (Durante is a boy. . .)

After I broke that I switched to
      - No more than three dolls (I broke this when I bought Corbin -my previous CP MOON-)

So then I had
      - No more than four dolls (I broke this when I bought a body for my NaNuRi, after I sold that one and Corbin, I was back to two dolls. Then I bought a Narae and a few weeks later also an Unoa)

And now. . .
      - No more than four dolls
      - Seriously, no more than four dolls
      - REALLY! NO.MORE!
      - Never buy a LUTS doll (don't ask why) especially BW/WS.

I know, it's horrible. =_="

14. 1. Only 2 dolls. (2 was enough)
      2. No volks (didn't like the molds)
      3. No MSDs (Stick to one size)
      4. No Tinys (to small)
      5. No animal dolls (leave the animals to my friends).
      6. Never do a face-up. (My friend is better at them).

1. I have 20+ dolls now
      2. I found a Volks sculpt that was so different I couldn't resist. (SDC Kurt!)
      3. I had to have my little frog boy, then needed a Claudia (MSD DZ Yuri)
      4. I'll just get the one to allow my friend to get some modding practice.
      5. *squeel* Mousey! He can be Scabbers! Now I have a trio of bunnies as well.
      6. I said I would just learn to do a face-up. I learned and have since done 3 faceups, and have 2 dolls waiting for faceups. The majority my friend still does for me.

I atleast I have stuck to the 'do not buy dolls beyond what you can afford'. 'Do not go into debt due to the dolls'.

-Anneke

-Anneke

15. Things I never wanted in a BJD

- Boys
      - Yo-SD size
      - High heel feet
      - SD size
      - Hybrid

I have pretty much stuck to my list, but Bambicrony Elf Pepe broke through my YoSD size barrier, and I am working on a hybrid! I also bought one boy but sold him.

Carolyn

16. I have only been into the hobby for a very limited time. so i have yet to break ALL my rules. :P :P :P

One: Hounds are not love. (Now I want a Bermann. Not Quite a Hound, but close.)
      Two: Stick with SD sized and bigger. Anything Smaller would get lost. (I have already put the money aside for a Puki. :doh )
      Three: TWO DOLLS. TWO. NO MORE. ( I have plans for several more than that.)
      Four: WS is Love. (My first doll is a NS. )
      Five: No boys. (I have plans for three now )
      Six: NO OBSESSING (HA HA HA. That worked out well.)
      Seven: Nothing over 500$ ( Volks FCS.)
      Eight: LE IS NOT WORTH IT. (I have yet to break this one)

Originally I thought I would get two dolls. Both to be used for models for my art work and mannequins for my sewing projects.
      Now I have an intricate and ever changing plot line including several dolls, and a wish list with those and others. *twitch*

17. The only thing that's changed for me is that I thought I'd never get a boy doll. I'm considering it seriously now, though I haven't found a mold I liked yet.
      Still holding out on not getting anything bigger than MSD. But that's really the only rule I have right now, and I don't think it'll change, but I suppose you never know.

18. Looking back, I've broken a lot of my initial self-imposed "rules".

Did Not Want:

-- Anything smaller than an SD. (I now have 2 very adorable Kid Delfs, with active plans to get more MSD-sized dolls.)

-- Anything overly cute. (See above. ^^ Resistance to The Cute is futile. If I manage to continue resisting tinies, I'll be amazed.)

-- Girl dolls. (While I don't own one yet, I am now actively looking to buy a girl doll, and it's really just a matter of time and money.)

-- White skin dolls. (I will soon have 2 white skin dolls and 1 floating white skin head)

-- More than 2 dolls bought in the first year. (I bought... oh, 5-6... in the first year, and will soon have 8 dolls and 1 floating head)

-- Limited editions. (I've bought 3 limited edition dolls now. Admittedly, I've also sold two of them.)

-- Volks. (*eyes her Volks FCS F-17 SD13 boy* Yeah, that didn't last.)

19. List of things I thought I wouldn't want
      - A 60 cm doll (too expensive and too big)
      - A Volks doll (all of the reasons above and too hard to get)
      - Tinies
      - Sleeping molds
      - Girldolls
      - No white skin dolls (afraid of overly visible yellowing and greening)

And now:
      - I got one 60 cm doll (and three more incoming)
      - 2 Volks dolls (and one more incoming soon)
      - I had one tiny that I had to part with, but I plan to buy the same mold again sometime! I miss the little one.
      - No sleeping molds....yet.
      - I've got 4 girldolls and 1 boy :lol: And my future doll plans include at least 2 more girls and only one boy.
      - Still no white skin dolls (and still afraid of resin turning yellow/green)

20. Things I never thought I would want:

A tiny - I have a So-Ji and a PocketFairy Yoko

A boy - I am hoping for a Saint one day

Stylized anime type features - I fell for Peak's Woods MoriMoth