1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Breaking the Mold" or, loving what you thought you wouldn't.

Mar 8, 2008

1. 1 - I'd NEVER have a floating head; if I was getting a head I'd get a body too. Yeeeeah, I've had one floating head for a few months and I'm getting two more soon [Saix MNM and Axel MNM], and a few months after those I'll be doing another MNM order so I'll have another, and then I'll be working on getting bodies. @_@

2 - I would keep my dolls in my box so they didn't get dirty or injured. They're now sitting on my shelf and sometimes sleep in the bed with me. xD

3 - I'd commission people to do my faceups. I've done my first one and the two dolls that are on their way home now will come with no faceups so I'll be doing theirs myself too.

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of any. xD

2. nothing more than 60 cm - Soom IO coming soon! ((65 cms, i know its not too much bigger, but still ^_^' ))

No limited ((I'd be to pressed for cash))- Soom IO...

Never get a doll with the excuse 'my other one is lonely...' - My pipos ringo NEEDED rooney as a friend... needed!

3. 1. I'd never have more than x amount of dolls. (I gave up on a specific limit years ago. The number just kept getting bigger, lol.)

2. I'd never buy a Yo-SD because they are so expensive for their size (I have plans for a total of three now!)

3. I'd never buy eyes more expensive than $30 (I have more urethane eyes than I have dolls. Oops.)

4. I'd never get a boy doll (I soon will own serveral.)

And like Juno I also planned to stick to only shorter, "normal" size dolls, but was sidetracked by Soom. XD

4. I said the first doll I would ever do a box opening for would be my boy
      ....but my girl arrived a week before him. Sorry, James! DX (But he is still my first doll! I won't actually have her until Christmas.)

I said I would stick to my original doll buying plan.
      Yeah right. My plan has changed at least 4 times on dolls I'm planning on buying.

I said I wouldn't have clothes/wigs for future dolls.
      So why do I have a SD girl dress, girl's sweat shirt, and MSD wig when I only have one SD-size boy?

I said I would save up for whichever my next planned doll is without distractions.
      So why is the new Bobobie Mei sooooooo tempting? XD And the Abio Angel boys......

I'm sure there are more... XD

5. Um...the 2 doll limit? ^^;;

Spending more on their clothing than I would on mine.

And I'm sure there are more that I've already broken, or will!

6. - I would never have a sleeping/dreaming head. (Now we have four.)
      - I would never have a girl. (We have four of them too.)
      - I would never have a doll bigger than 60cm. (We have one—one of the girls, in fact.)
      - I would never own a Shiwoo. (Our Shiwoo Vampire is the shell of my favorite character.)

...among other things. XD

7. Sell my Volks Luna.

.........whoops. ¬_¬;;

Buy impulse dolls instead of ones for established characters

*glances at Amel* ¬_¬;; Whoops again.

Make dolls/characters/based on current favourite songs/pieces of art.

*stashes away plans for a 'Nitemare Hippy Girl' Miyu/VNV Nation-inspired doll/Abney Park-inspired doll * ¬_¬;;

I guess I'm going to have to learn to say "Never Say Never" when it comes to my dolls?

8. 1. I said I would not buy a doll. :)

9. Lol, I love reading everyone's comments! :XD:

I said I would never:

- have more than one doll.
      I now have 7 with 1 on the way.

- have any girl dolls.
      I've got 4 now!

- buy any Volks dolls.

They're all Volks dolls. >.>

- spend more than "x" amount on any doll.
      Yeah, that's gone waaaay out the window with 3 of the dolls I have now.

- spend silly amounts of money on doll wigs, clothes and shoes. ("silly" being a very subjective word of course!)
      I am now officially a wig addict, and have more wigs than my dolls would ever use, and have bought dresses that far exceed prices of any of my own clothes. Shoes are probably the one thing I'm trying to be good at! -__-

- sell certain dolls that I own.
      I’ve since sold said dolls.

10. lets see...
      1- The same 'only one doll, I swear!' rule that everyone thinks they'll follow when they first think of buying. XD (I own three- one of whome is hand made- and will be buying a fourth within the next few weeks)
      2- Only MSD sized dollies. I used to think that SD sized were way~ too big for me (and way too expensive), and tinies were just not my style.... but I love both! I already own an SD sized boy, and I'll be ordering my first tiny in a matter of days.... oh I just can't resist those itty bitty things!
      3- Having a list of dolls that I would stick to, to keep myself from impulse buying them. Nah~~ Both my Souldoll Asiter, and the itty Puki I'll be ordering soon are impulse buys, and were *definitely* not on my list! XD

The two big rules I have that I *have* been able to follow for my dolls, though, are that there has to be at least a year between them, and that I will only buy for them what I can't make- which happens to be very little!

11. I never thought I'd have a sleeping head, and I ended up getting one with my MNF Tanned El. So I have both a floating head (which I never wanted) and a sleeping head.

Poor Ramsay... two heads for one body, lol.

12. 1. Never get a tiny. For such a little thing, the prices are huge. ESPECIALLY Yo's..cute but defiantely not for me.
      2. Do not buy on impulse

Both of these were broken by my Lucy (yo-SD Tinatsu who I found on ebay and just..bought her. I love her though. Wouldn't give her up for anything.

3. Ok fine, so we need tinies. but NO PUKIS. NONE. They're TOO tiny.

...-glances at the 3 pukis she has and her wishlist which contains many more- Oops

4. No floating heads. if a head must be bodiless for an amount of time, a body for it had better be the first thing I buy next.

Poor Ian...he has nothing..no eyes, no wig, no body..and I'm already paying off another boy...who will also be bodiless for a few weeks...and Ian will have to wait until I get new boy settled before I get his stuff.

5. ONE big boy. ONE.

I HAD sworn off all big dolls but certain friends convinced me a big boy = love. So one..i thought ONE would be fine. Nope. Got one head here, another I'm paying off, and plans for at least 3 more...probably more.

13. I said I wouldn't by a second doll until I graduated.
      But I bought a head, and now I'm planning for an MSD every three months, till graduation. 9___9 And on that note...
      I swore I wouldn't get MSDs.
      I started out with an SD, but his character fit an MSD better. And now, I'm so taken with them, I'm making child versions of ALL my characters so far... Even ones I plan on making SDs in the future. I just can't resist. And on THAT note...
      I told myself I'd never sell my first doll.
      But like I said, he just didn't fit my character anymore. So, I did sell him, to a friend of mine. He became her first doll like he was my own. ^^
      I promised I wouldn't buy dolls who wouldn't be based on my original characters.
      So far, this is true, but it won't be after I graduate. Once I get a steady income as an animator, I'm planning on buying a wee Matilda (based on the movie, Matilda,) and I want to get a minimee done of Penelope. 9___9 I'm hoping it won't go further than that. I seriously think it's because I only have ONE girl character important enough to me to be made into a doll, and a lot of guys. I want some girls, too... ;o; So, Matilda and Penelope it will be!
      ...I'm still fighting the urge to plan a Trunks boy, a Duo Maxwell, an Armand, and an Edward Cullen. u__u but it's not a terrible urge, so I think I'm okay.
      I told myself I'd do all faceups for my dolls myself.
      I've been true to my word, but when I get my first girl, I think I want it to be professionally done. I kinda want her to be my princess from the moment I open the box. >.>

14. I'm pretty sure I said that I would never get a girl and never get more than one doll at some point...

...I plotting to get my second doll who is a girl...

It's all your fault DoA, you've converted me to the doll-side! xD

15. Ermm.
      So far, its the usual 1 doll rule.
      I haven't got my first and I'm already planning and plotting for my third...

16. 1: Dolls that are not OCs - I have 2...wait...maybe 3. I'm not sure about my new guy that's on his way. XD;

2: Floating heads - I have 3..and only one body. x__x;

3: Dress my boys girly (if it wasn't part of their character) - I have put Medicine Seller in a pink, off the shoulder sweater, a wrap skirt, and a sparkly tiara. Poor thing. ._.

4: Buy more wigs/eyes than dolls - I've found I love wigs and eyes. ._.; <3

5: Not take them out of the house - I take Medicine Seller with me to work and out into the yard.

6: Buy a sleeping head - I have a Breakaway 08 Vamp...though, he's getting his eyes opened. XD;

7: Buy more heads before the others got bodies - I failed. Miserably. XD;

8: I told myself I didn't want tinies - I want a Puki Pukisha and a Tinybear Coco ._.

I think that's it. ._.;

17. Hmmm, I don't have too many "rules" I set for myself that I know for a fact I broke, but I know there are a couple. Like everyone else, I vowed to have only one doll, but I think I knew that was a laugh from the start. I disproved that one after about 3 weeks. :sweat I also said I wouldn't dress Blisdon in anything but robes and ritual gear, that I would only get 2 dolls, and that I wouldn't buy lots of wigs or eyes too, and I have not held to any of these either. I understand why I tried to limit myself (to save money mostly :|), but as an artist, these dolls were a little too inspiring for such limits to work for me. I want to be able to get creative with them, to be able to change them, and also to have a few different ones to convey different things. My boys that I have so far definitely have their own personalities that don't really change, but like people, I believe they should be able to change their hair, clothes, the way their face looks, without losing who they are. I try not to limit myself as far as "how many" or "what kind" of this or that that I buy anymore, I just try to keep in mind not to go crazy and order everything at once. XD

18. 1. i would NEVER get a BJD at all - they were just too spooky.

2. I would only have two obitsus...that was enough for me. A man and a woman.

3. I would ONLY have size 60cm BJDs

4. I would never spend that much money on such tiny dolls...

5. I would never grow away from my babydolls to prefer BJDs (i'm currently selling most of my babydoll collection to make room for more BJSs)

6. I would only buy the heads from original companies and then buy bodies from cheap companies (only to find out that in the end, the price ends up around the same because of shiping and customs)

7. I'd never have a non-human BJD (now considering having an elf...)

but i guess you have one oppinion until you get a new :)

- karina

19. I'm like someone else in here:

1. I would not own a girl
      2. I would not own anything other then SD or bigger

Although technically I haven't broken those rules - my floating head will get a girl body, and I have ordered Sage - a female and tiny.

3. I would not go over budget...

I even made up an excel spreadsheet to help me do this - I'm $103 in the black but...

20. I think my parents have got used to the 'never' rule XD I've learned now that it's 'never say never'

1. Never have SDs, I can live with MSD sized fine.

~lasted about 2 months... I just love SD sizes more XD

2. Never have more than 3...

~that went out the window... my 5th boy's body is coming XD

3. Never want a girl doll.

~I want a SD, MSD and Tiny sized girl...

4. Never buy a Tiny or get tempted by a Yo-SD...

~I blame my friend for letting me look after her girl >.< Now I want Ayumu :sweat

5. Not to have a girly El...

~looks at Asmodeus... killed that one

6. Never to own more minis par Rae...

~I have another 3-5 on my list

7. Never to go looking for Volks Tony...

~I'm looking for a body for him now? His head's been here for ages now...

8. will never sell a doll..

does selling heads count?

My newest 'rule' is '10 dolls maximum' but I got a feeling it'll be more. Ask again in 2 years...